Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

How to put a Odyssey in learning mode to reset TPMS sensors??

131K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Jet Pack 
#1 ·
Like many of you, I'm struggling with my darn TPMS sensors. I just bought winter tires + steel wheels + new TPMS sensors for my 2007 Odyssey EX-L. Now... I want to get rid of the "TPMS" light!

What I found on the net is that Odyssey Touring model (also on MDX and Ridgeline) has what they call an "initiator" that sends a 125 Khz signal to the TPMS sensor inside the wheel to activate the sensor (submitting their sensor IDs). What it does is that all owners of Touring models can rotate their tires or swap their wheels for winter without hassles (lucky guys...). The system only needs a reading from the sensor for a continuous 40 seconds before it accepts it.

Unfortunately... that is not my case! However, my brother-in-law just bought a TPMS tool (Bartec Tech 300 Tire Pressure Monitoring Tool) on ebay that allow activation and diagnostic of TPMS sensors. So with "that tool" I would be able to activate my sensors (the tool can send the required 125 Khz signal). However, the tool's manual talks says that you need to put your car in "learning mode" for the new TPMS sensors to be recognized and kept by the car.

So my questions, is there is anyone out there that know what do I need to do in my Odyssey EX-L to put the car in learning mode?

See less See more
#4 ·
The 2007 odyssey TPMS system actually does not use initiators. Only the Touring model uses the initiators. The LX, EX, EX-L use non-initiator type TPMS sensors. First off, make sure you purchased the correct TPMS sensor - EXL and Touring sensors are different. Secondly, you will not be able to put the TPMS system into learning mode without a visit to your dealer.

The system learns the unique radio frequencies of each of the four sensors when the vehicle is set-up from the factory. From there, it ignores all other sensor signals other than the ones it knows. So it would ignore the TPMS sensor signals that you purchased. It doesn't know the difference between new sensors installed on the vehicle or an identical vehicle driving right next to it.

At the dealer, we use our factory diagnostic system to communicate with the TPMS control unit and tell it to look for other sensor signals. Then we use the TPMS tool to activate the sensor and tell it to transmit it's unique signal. The TPMS unit receives the signal and memorized the sensor ID.... so it will know to receive future signals from that sensor.

It is confusing, but where does it leave you?
Well, you have two options...
1. Install yout snow tires on the wheels with the correct TPMS sensors, and go to the dealer and have them do a TPMS sensor ID Learn.
They will not do it for free, expect a flat rate charge of an hour or so to do this. Cost will depend on hourly labor rate at your dealer (here it is 105/hr:eek: )

2. Dismount your original tires from the wheels and swap the original TPMS sensors from the aluminum wheels into the steel wheels. Then mount the snows on the steel wheels. This way the TPMS unit will be looking for the sensors it already knows, so the dealer trip will not be required. However, a lot of extra work will go into switching the sensors.

The downside to either method is that when you switch back in the spring, you have to do it all over again. Kind of a bum deal if you ask me.

My best advice is trade in the Ody for a Ridgeline :D 4wd baby!

HT

#10 ·
2. Dismount your original tires from the wheels and swap the original TPMS sensors from the aluminum wheels into the steel wheels. Then mount the snows on the steel wheels. This way the TPMS unit will be looking for the sensors it already knows, so the dealer trip will not be required. However, a lot of extra work will go into switching the sensors.
HT
Hi HondaTech, how about if I purchase original Honda TPMS sensors and mount them on the steel rims (to mount winter tires). My questions are:
1. Do I still need to have it professionally done by a Honda Tech to link up the sensors to my dash (Odyssey Touring) or will it be automatically detected?
2. Whenever I switch steel rims (with winter tires mounted) and alloy wheels (with all season tires mounted) and vice versa, will it be automatically detected by my van or do I always have to bring it to Honda dealer to have the sensors re-detected?
Thanks in advance!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.