LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Junior

Model: RTL-E
Model Year: 2017
Color: White/Black
Garage
Dust and Pollen Filter

I just replaced the Dust and Pollen Filter for the first time after 43,000 miles. The owners manual recommends changing it at 30,000 miles under "normal" driving conditions. I should have paid closer attention. It was FILTHY! Dark gray and full of pollen, leaves, and trash. No wonder the cabin was getting so dirty so quickly after cleaning!

The manual says to have the dealer do it for you, but it only takes about two minutes to do yourself. It's located behind the glove box in a pull-out tray. If you need instructions on how to detach the glove box look on Page 2 of the Honda MusicLink installation instructions located HERE However, there is no need completely remove the glove box, just the stops.

Last edited by mtrotman; 05-03-2007 at 12:45 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 01:05 PM
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2006
Color: Billet Silver / Gray
Re: Dust and Pollen Filter

Here's a great thread on this very topic... I just got my filter and will be replacing this weekend...

Clean or replace your own cabin filter, improve air flow & save a bundle

-----------------------------------------------------

"It takes a man more concerned with the product than an image to buy a Truck like this..."
- buffy :Longview, Texas
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 01:26 PM
ROC Rank: Freshman

Model Year: 2007
Color: Dark Cherry Pearl
Send a message via Yahoo to Crazyhorse
Thumbs up Re: Dust and Pollen Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrotman View Post
I just replaced the Dust and Pollen Filter for the first time after 43,000 miles. The owners manual recommends changing it at 30,000 miles under "normal" driving conditions. I should have paid closer attention. It was FILTHY! Dark gray and full of pollen, leaves, and trash. No wonder the cabin was getting so dirty so quickly after cleaning!

The manual says to have the dealer do it for you, but it only takes about two minutes to do yourself. It's located behind the glove box in a pull-out tray. If you need instructions on how to detach the glove box look on Page 2 of the Honda MusicLink installation instructions located HERE However, there is no need completely remove the glove box, just the stops.

THX for the Heads up
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 04:52 PM
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club

Model: *Former Ridgeline Owner
Color: Other

My truck does not have that many miles, but my system has started to have that odor of bacteria/mold smell. It is only present when I allow the outside air to come through the system. When the smell starts to get strong, I run the AC for a bit and then run the heat to dry up any excess condensation left in the vents. I also now run 3 12 volt ionizers once a week.

This has decreased the smell but the filter may need to still be replaced. Now that I know how to get to it, I will check it out.

Thanks

Last edited by xridgelinex; 05-03-2007 at 05:00 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 02:43 PM
ROC Rank: Junior

Color: Nimbus Gray Metallic

I just had the 30K service done on our Ody - pressed for time so I had it done at the dealer. Pollen filter was equally nasty. As I understand it, its the same filter setup as my RL has. I think I'll plan on changing this filter at 15K intervals myself....

Name:  OdyPollenFilter30K.JPG
Views: 1110
Size:  129.6 KB

"Lord, help me to be the person my therapist medicates me to be..."
- 2007 Nimbus Grey Ridgeline RTL w/NAVI, Born 09/06, Bed Extender, Air Deflector
- 2005 Ocean Mist Odyssey EX-L, Born 12/04, Roof Rack, Flaps, Rear Cargo Boards, Plus One Console
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2007, 08:00 PM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Color: White / Olive

Be sure to unhook the damper on the right side before completely dropping the glove box. I forgot to do this (foolishly with a little weight still in the box) and bent the damper rod permanently. This was the cause of one of the rattles from the glove box area and it didn't close quite right after that.

Westin Bull Bar (Black), Elemmat Bed & Trunk liners, 2" Rancho "lift" kit, Steel Reinforced A-Pipe, Garmin Quest, Roady XT, Rear Mud Guards.
Built: 02/06 Mileage:118K

2005 Red Pearl Accord V6 EX XM/Leather/Moon 2003 Acura MDX
WorK: The White 2006 RTL; 2008 White (83K) & Gray (48k) Frontier CC NISMO's 4x4's w/Retrax covers; Kawasaki 610 Mule.

"All politics is local and personal. Please keep yours that way."
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 06:47 AM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Color: White / Beige

Replaced mine yesterday at 40k miles. Filthy. Got a spare filter for the next time at 60k.

Be sure to overlap the 2 protruding edges at the bottom with the edges of the filter element to insure a good seal and prevent air bypassing. The instructions I've seen failed to mention this.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 09:39 AM
ROC Rank: Freshman

Model: RT
Color: White / Beige

How much is this filter?
On my wifes 2003 Maxima this pollen filter is around $60. A bit on the expensive side.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 12:49 PM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Color: Dark Cherry Pearl

I have a 98 CRV with 133K miles on it and a 01 Odyssey with 110K miles on it. Until last month I had no idea that they had a cabin filter. I only learned about it when I was reading up on my Ridgeline. I thought that if it had one, then my other Hondas must have one also. I replaced them both today and black does not describe how bad they were.

Honda at least learned and made the filter on the Ridgeline easier to replace. The CRV required the removal of 6 bolts, 5 screws, the glove box, a cross bar, and a piece of side molding. The Odyssey had less bolts, but it also required me to cut off a piece of the dash molding. Talk about scary. You shouldn't have cut off molding to replace a filter, but that is what the directions required. It took me a total of 2 1/2 hours to replace both filters.

07 RTL w/o Nav - tow package, running boards, splash guards, floor carpets, and additional window tinting.
Add - hood air deflector, rear under-seat storage tray, and trunk dividers
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-13-2007, 01:17 PM
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club

Color: Steel Blue / Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki2191 View Post
How much is this filter?
On my wifes 2003 Maxima this pollen filter is around $60. A bit on the expensive side.
You'll find alternative sources and prices in the thread I made about replacing the filter. If you buy from the dealer both the parts and installation costs are obscene. We got our replacement from Checker, I believe, for under $20.

Clean or replace your own cabin filter, improve air flow & save a bundle

'06 Steel BLUE RTL with NAV, OEM roof rack, running boards, backup camera, hitch, rear mud guards, air deflector, underseat storage, body side moldings, pin stripes, decals, Doggie Deck, Retrax, vent visors, bull bar, dash plate, tubular hitch step, XM!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode