Center air vents and heat - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Junior

Model: RTS
Model Year: 2006
Color: Billet Silver / Gray
Center air vents and heat

I just noticed this while driving home from work tonight (yes, it's 1:30 am, no, I don't work swing or graveyard, yes I'm tired, yes I'm an addict... moving on ). When I turned the climate control to AUTO and set the temperature to heat (i.e. significantly higher than the ambient temperature), the center air vents (both driver and passenger - I almost crashed into the center divider checking the passenger side) turn off. I thought my vent was broken until I did the following:

1) Turned the AUTO temp down so that the AC kicked in - center vents worked
2) Adjusted the MODE setting so that the upper vents were activated and turned up the temperature to heat - center vents worked
3) Turned the AUTO temp up to setting Hi and left it on AUTO - center vents deactivated

This all leads me to believe that Honda designed things this way. Now I'm left to wonder why. What happens in the middle of winter (yes, it's a California winter, but it still gets a bit chilly) and I want both my hands warm without fiddling with the MODE settings?

I invite you all to try these steps to see if you can reproduce my experience. Any insight would be appreciated.

<insert snazzy quote here> - Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 07:26 AM
ROC Rank: Senior

Re: Center air vents and heat

I thought, and I could just be dreaming here, that I read that the fan won't come on until the temp is where you want it to be. This is especially the case when you first start the vehical.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 08:06 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Model: RTL
Color: Steel Blue / Gray
Send a message via AIM to vertrkr

In AUTO heat always comes out the bottom vents, under the front seats for the back, and cold air from the top vents. This is for better circulation as heat rises and cold sinks.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 10:36 AM
ROC Rank: Senior

Yep, that's exactly correct. If you want heat to come from the center vents, you have to fiddle with the mode. Heat rises.

Plus, people like me *hate* to have warm air blowing on my face -- drives me nuts. I can't sleep breathing warm air either. I think maybe I was suffocated by evil older siblings when I was young. So I think Honda did this just for me. OK, maybe not.

There are 10 types of people in this world... those who understand binary, and those who don't.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 08-24-2005, 01:18 PM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Color: Redrock Pearl / Beige
Send a message via AIM to captmiddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymuck
Yep, that's exactly correct. If you want heat to come from the center vents, you have to fiddle with the mode. Heat rises.

Plus, people like me *hate* to have warm air blowing on my face -- drives me nuts. I can't sleep breathing warm air either. I think maybe I was suffocated by evil older siblings when I was young. So I think Honda did this just for me. OK, maybe not.
EEK! at least you made it long enough to buy a Ridgeline. Just remember they will age faster than you too since they were older to begin with .

As to the vent thing, this is true of just about every car, also I don't believe it is possible to have the upper vents (all 4) and the defrost on at the same time, just the way these cars are designed. This personally drives me batty but I get over it. As to the heat in the face, I am more concerned with heat on my hands. When it is below zero outside the steering wheel is pretty darn chilly.

A day late, $2000 short, the price of wanting something really badly.

2006 Ridgeline RTL-S/R-Navi Redrock Pearl/Beige (15.842 MPG 30,736 miles )
Accessories: Roof Rack, Carpets, Trailer Hitch, Bed Extender
2008 Toyata Camry Hybrid Grey (34.858 mpg 38,534 miles)
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-04-2005, 06:33 PM
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club

Model Year: 2008
Question Re: Center air vents and heat

I also noticed some strange behavoir from vents today. After I turned the A/C off, air was still coming out of all dash vents. I tried all modes and all fan settings and could not stop the air flow. Is this an engineered feature to keep air circulating. Maybe I am old fashioned, but if I do not want air to come out of the dash vents, I want NO air to flow from vents.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 09:39 AM
ROC Rank: Junior

Color: Billet Silver / Gray

If you always want air coming out the top vents, set the mode to always blow out the vents. One time deal, no need to change it every time.

As for air always coming out the vents, if you want it completely off, turn on the Recirculate mode. The air that comes through when the system is off is a result of air just being pushed through because of vehicle motion.

2006 Silver Ridgeline RTL
Accessories: Moonroof/XM, Tonneau, Hitch, Mudguards, Rearview Camera
Mods: Audio & Video Systems, DVD, XBOX, Handsfree Kit, Laptop Mount, In-Bed Lighting
Audio/Video System Installation / Center Console Triple Power Outlet Install
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-06-2005, 10:51 AM

Thx DJDJ, I will try recirculate solution. That makes sense and should work.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 09-09-2005, 11:59 AM

Recirculate button on stopped the air flow when A/C is off. I still think this is second best to it not blowing at all when A/C is off, but at least it is something.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 10-26-2005, 10:10 AM
ROC Rank: Freshman

I, too, have found this 'feature' misguided. While it might aid airflow, my right hand feels slighted by the lack of warm air...

In case Honda is reading this, my vote is to open all 4 dash vents in auto mode.

- theGhost
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Interior

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode