Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Sport, Type-R or Naked?

2012 Sport Grill (Type-R or Sport)opinions

6K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  DeuceRon 
#1 ·
Folks,

I just received my 2012 Sport Grill to install on my 2010 Black RTS. I also ordered a Type-R grill emblem from Japan $7 on ebay. I'm debating if I should go with the Sport, Type-R or no grill emblem. After all, it's not a real 2012 Sport RL so taking it off makes sense but should I swap it for Type-R or go naked? I know it's not a real Type-R either as it never existed.

Here's what I've added to my RL.

2012 OEM Sport Wheels
Cross Drilled Cadmium Plated Black Rotors and Red Brake Caliper Covers.
OEM side moldings
Smoke G-Force Tail Lights
Tri-Fold Extang Solid Tonneau Cover
OEM window shades
Tinted License Plate Covers.

Looking for opinions:

Sport?
Type-R?
Naked?

See less See more
#8 ·
I think I'm going to go naked. Like you said I would get pissed removing the grill and bumper again.

#9 ·
Oned thing I've noticed also, the SPORT emblem looks so cheap next to the Type-R emblem.

At this point, looks like naked it is.

Reasons:

SPORT = cheap looking, and my RL is not a real Sport.
Type-R= Looks OK, but my RL is not a real Type-R, never existed.

Naked= My wife always liked naked:act035:

#10 ·
i beleive if you remove the "sport" logo, you will end up with a section made to mount the logo.

that would make it "uglier" naked if you asked me

if that section was like the rest of the grill, i would probaly have gone naked as well!!!:act024:

#11 ·
Actually, when you remove the emblem, there's absolutly no signs of a made to mount section like you said. It comes with a adaptable bracket that comes off with it. However, I am having second thoughts now. I took it off yesterday, and to the eye, it feels like something's missing. So I put it back on. Haven't installed the grill yet. Thing is, with my Sport rims, the truck looks just like the 2012 Sport. The only thing missing is the front strakes. Still debating...:act002:

#13 ·
What is a Type R ?

#14 ·
A line of special performance models available for the NSX, Civic and Integra. Tend to have performance tuned engines, aggressively tuned suspensions and lighter weight.

Comes with special badging for the DYKWIA crowd.

#17 ·
The OEM is not broken. I spend the money because I can and want too and it's mine. I didn't ask opinions as to if I should spend the money or not. For what I do for a living, it will take a lot more than the decision of which emblem to put on there to cause me anxiety. Looks like my post causes you anxiety though. You bought your computer that gave you the oportunity to read this post with your money so I'm not going to start giving opinions to people on where to spend their money. If you want to start a post on telling people on where to spend their money, all the power to you. And I did not force this opinion on you. It was totally optional.

#20 ·
I have to agree with Deuce and SRLNCLT, Don't badge something that your truck is not.

If you want a badge, leave the "sport" emblem on. At least, technically, it is the sport grille, so no foul there. But if you'd put "Type R" on there, you might as well put a "turbo", "GT", "TRD", "Cobra" etc., etc. since none of them, including the "Type R", have anything to do with the truck or grille. For that matter, you might as well put a Steak 'n Shake logo on the grille. ;act028:

So my meaningless advice is to go "naked" or, if you want a badge, just leave the Sport badge on since it is a sport grille.

#21 ·
Thank you for your honest opinion. Since I have the 2012 Sport Wheels on, I think I might leave the sport badge on and have it as a 2010 RTS with a 2012 Sport Package as you can't tell them apart. Only thing missing is the front strakes which are not expensive and even those are not part of the sport package as all 2012 have them. I'm for sure not going with the Type-R badge.

#22 ·
Sounds like a good plan to me. Just don't forget to post up some pics when you're ready!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.