Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

New EPA MPG tests for 2008

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  MikeT 
#1 ·
There was an article in today's paper about the revised EPA tests that will change the MPG estimates on 2008 vehicles. There has been a lot of discussion on this forum about many of our RLs not meeting the current 16/21 MPG estimates.
According to the article, the new testing procedures will cause fuel economy estimates to drop an average of 12% for city driving on most 2008 vehicles, and 8% for highway driving.
Highly fuel-efficient vehicles will see the largest slide, with ratings for city driving dropping by as much as 30% and highway ratings falling 25%.
Mileage estimates for gas-electric hybrids proabably will be 20 to 30% lower for city and 10 to 20% lower for highway.
If the drop fpr the RL is near the average, the new figures will be something like 14/19.
The testing procedures were last revised in 1984.

#3 ·
It's been known for a longtime that the manufacturers were using the present system to run their numbers up higher than actual. Hybrids in particular generate truly bogus MPG numbers on the current test.

#6 ·
Webwader said:
The testing procedures were last revised in 1984.

Read that news article early this morning also.

The following was also mentioned:

"The changes respond to consumer complaints that fuel economy estimates are frequently less than advrtised."

"EPA's new system will take into account data from vehicle tests designed to more accurately assess high-speed driving, rapid acceleration, the use of air conditioning and driving in cold temperatures."

About time they use more realistic driving criteria. Didn't mention stop and go driving.

The following statement should of been better thought out.

"EPA's new fuel-economy sticker ensures American motorists won't be stuck with higher than anticipated charges at the pump,"
"EPA Administrator Stephen L. Johnson said in a statement."

#7 ·
jddens said:
Funny how we get RL owners consistantly exceeding the Highway EPA (22-24)numbers now..........should be really good with the new system......Also get some (13-16) not satisfied with their MPG numbers........
There are a FEW consistently exceeding the highway numbers. I have NEVER seen 21 MPG. Best ever was 20.5. Daily commute mileage is 17-18.5.

On the highway I drive 75MPH, tires inflated correctly, accelerate modestly but not super gentle, and I do make any special effort to cause the transmission to shift at any particular RPM.

I think it is interesting the EPA test never used air conditioning. And maximum speed was 60 (?) MPH for the highway portion. Completely unrealistic. The new test is much improved but it still doesn't compensate for aerodynamics differences between vehicles. I had a Jag S-type 4.0 and I regularly achieved 23+ MPG on the highway driving at 80 MPH. The RL is the first vehicle I have owned that did not regularly beat the EPA highway number and I think at least part of the reason is (lack of) aerodynamics.

#8 ·
The new test is much improved but it still doesn't compensate for aerodynamics differences between vehicles.
From the EPA website:
"For the first time, the EPA fuel economy estimates will reflect vehicle-specific data from tests designed to replicate three real-world conditions that can significantly affect fuel economy: high speed/rapid acceleration driving, use of air conditioning, and cold temperature operation. Previously, these conditions were accounted for by across-the-board adjustments, rather than by vehicle-specific testing."
Since the new tests are vehicle-specific, aerodynmic differences will be accounted for.
The new regulations will have no effect on the CAFE regulations, which are administered by the DOT. They arrive at their figures by dyno testing. Not exactly real life conditions.

#9 ·
This has probably already been posted, but the EPA actually wanted to rate the Ridgeline as getting even more MPG than they currently list. A certain person at Honda wanted it to be more accurate so it's listed at what it is currently.

It's odd how much variation there can be in MPG with what appears to be the same vehicle across the country. I think there are many factors for MPG such as environment (cold, hot, hills, flat, etc.), where the fuel comes from and how it's mixed, how often you have to hit a red light during your travels and things like that. That being said, every vehicle I have owned there have been some wild variances in MPG with virtually the same vehicle.

I installed a new intake on my Element during the summer and due to the growl of it, I started easing off of the accelerator a bit more. I noticed a 1-2 MPG pickup easily. The bummer of it is...I'm not sure if it was the intake or the driving habits that helped me out - probably a combination of both.

#10 ·
My understanding is that the mileage test originated as an add on to the previously existing emissions tests. In order to not add cost to the test the actual test was not changed and the mileage was estimated.

Over the years the test has been changed in response to complaints and as we all see it is still not accurate.

But if you look on this forum it can be see as a group we also cannot agree on what the Ridgeline MPG is so I am thinking that the EPA test will never reflect what everyone or even the majority are getting.

#11 ·
I still say there is NO WAY guys are getting 24 on average. I do not care what the environmental factors are or the fuel mixture. There cannot be that much of a difference from those things. Maybe 1-2 be we are talking about 5-6 or basically 20-25% difference. That is ridiculous.

#12 ·
dboz said:
I still say there is NO WAY guys are getting 24 on average. I do not care what the environmental factors are or the fuel mixture. There cannot be that much of a difference from those things. Maybe 1-2 be we are talking about 5-6 or basically 20-25% difference. That is ridiculous.
I acheived 24.1mpg only one time on the way back from CO to TX. I went 434 miles and filed up with 18 gallons of gas.

I did this running on cruise control at 70 mph with the AC set on Auto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.