Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Oil Filter Wrench

22K views 25 replies 21 participants last post by  speedlever 
#1 ·
Since the oil filter is in such a crazy place, I tried to use some of those cup-style wrenches, but they all slip after 1-3 uses. These are the cheap ones available at AutoZone, etc. The one called out by the Honda manual (07HAA-PJ70100) I think is a thicker-metal, cup-style. The dealer can get me one for about $25. Does anyone else use one of these? Is it great? I THINK it's a 65mm. Does it fit a Mobil 1 M1-110 filter? Is there somewhere online or whatever from which I could get it less expensively?

Thanks guys.

Bert:act060:

#2 ·
#3 ·
I found a piece of duct tape on the filter fixes the slipping. I also am going to buy the above harbor freight kit - Store is 22 miles from my front door. It is above freezing so I am going out today. :hol042:

#9 ·
I always hand tighten the oil filter. No more, no less... and I have yet to have an issue getting it off when it's time to change it.

Also, I find the filter very easy to get to. Much easier than on my old Toyota T100. Just crank the front wheels hard right and you have easy access.

#10 ·
#14 ·
I have been through all kinds of experiences, hammering a screw driver to get filters out, using plastic wrenches that slip, the problem is that with some cars you have no room to hammer a screw driver and if you do the room is limited to drive it out with no room. Those harbor wrenches are great if made of metal and will avoid those issues with the removal that's a good product and deal.

For now I just use my hand on the ridge without issues, plenty of room for a good grip or use any tool to remove it if I need to. I tend to replace 2 filters per oil change and add extra oil when I change it at half the oil life. Not sure if it helps or not but I do it.

#16 ·
Have a friend that is a long time auto repair guy. ( He owned a Studebaker garage, so tells you how old he is) Anyway he told me that when he changes oil and filter he would always try the filter before draining the oil. If the filter could not be removed he would start the car and then try to free the filter. He said that with the car running it puts pressure on the filter and makes it easy to break it free. Once he knew that he could get the filter off he would drain the oil and then remove the filter completely. I have never tried it but seems to make make sense?

#19 ·
I use a big pair of channel lock pliers to loosen the filter and then hand tighten about as tight as I can without straining.
My technique also. I have done about 15 changes on my 2 Ridgelines and never had a leak. I also always try to put about 29 lbs of torque on the drain plug as per spec, but since it is such a tight squeeze I do this be guestimate with a closed end wrench and always use a new crush washer. I also take the filter off first so it does not splash in the container I use under the work area. However, plenty of oil will come out of the filter as you do this so it is good to wrap the filter in a baggy first to catch this oil and this technique comes from another member in the olden days.

#21 ·
While camping across country I stopped in a Walmart for a three thousand mile oil change. They told me the wait was one hour. After waiting two and a half hours I went in and bought the oil and filter. Then back to the camp ground to change the oil myself. picked up two old gallon milk jugs and a mens belt. I cut the milk jugs to the handle and wrapped the belt around the filter. Changed the oil & filter went back to Walmart with the receipt and old oil. They told me it's good I did it myself, the oil changer walked off the job because of being over worked! The belt worked great and I've used it many times on my Acura TL 2.5 five cylinder. Because I could not get a wrench on the filter in that Acura.

#24 ·
Strap wrench does the job in the Ridgeline. I've never needed it in this one, but needed it for the first oil change I did in the last one.:act039:

#25 ·
Today I had to do the screwdriver-through-the-filter trick...the oil wrench I have indexes in the little ridges in the bottom of the filter. It was so stuck, it flattened out those ridges. I dont know if its because I overtightened it last time or what. Love it when a small job becomes a production.

#26 ·
I've found that I can hand tighten and hand loosen the oil filter using the nitrile gloves on my hands. No wrench required!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.