Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

VSA Light Flashing

11K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  HondaTech 
#1 ·
I have seen this a couple of times now and I am not sure if it is worth getting concerned about. When I go over a speed bump, occasionally my VSA light will flash for a couple of seconds and then go away. From my experience with other cars (My dads Nissan 350Z for example[The Z is the only non-Honda in the whole family :D]) this means that tires a slipping if the car as Traction Control. Has anybody else had problems with this? I find it hard to believe that going over a speed bump should cause the VSA to do anything.

Thanks all!

#2 ·
Do a search on VSA....should explain it all for you..but yes, depending on your speed you hit the speed bumps or curbs or driveways....you will activate the VSA.....as the wheels bounce off uneven surfaces which results in uneven rotation with each wheel which triggers the VSA...:)

#3 ·
Even more importantly..if you have to drive in deep snow, turn the VSA off! This last friday we had almost a foot of snow and I found the Ridge getting stuck in what I felt it should be going right through. After the third time that I got stuck I realized that the VSA light was flashing everytime before I got stuck. I turned that thing off and had no more problems. We don't have the greatest ground clearance, but that 4WD kicks ASS!

#12 ·
I also have had the same experiece driving slowly through deep snow. It feels like the VSA system gets confused. The vehicle bogs down when I need power and I get stuck. I also hear a grinding noise from the front end when turning and accelerating in slippery conditions, particularly from a stand still. I assume that it's the VSA applying brakes to a slipping wheel? I still find the noise bothersome and wonder if it is normal. With the VSA off I do not get that grinding noise. Is that noise normal?

#5 ·
yep, just remember if you need to jump into fast moving traffic from a driveway... turn the VSA off .... I almost get creamed from behind when my Ridge almost came to a stop.......:( .... as Doubledutyemt say.... turn it off in deep snow.

#6 ·
my VSA do the same thing, they are flashing a couple of second and after the truck are slow and going up of his death and pass to second speed... when I need to pass a car or drift, I just turn off VSA and here we go !

:)
Josué

#8 ·
My RTL's VSA light frequently comes on if I hit a speed bump or a dip expecially if I take it at somewhat of an angle at a slow speed (going uphill), allowing the Ridge to rock. When it comes on I lose power till the truck quits shaking.

If I hit the same dip from the opposite side (going downhill) I sometimes hear/feel a grinding noise from the front end.

This can't be normal, can it?? I'm due for 12,600 mile service in the next few days. Is there something specific I point the dealer to?

#10 ·
working as intended. when you hit a dip or bump at an angle your tires are no longer turning at the same speed. the brain sees this as slippage and applies the brakes until they are all in sync again.

you didnt say if you were using the brakes on the downhill run. but that kind of sounds like your anti lock brakes working from the little info given.

#9 · (Edited)
I had this problem with my 06 Ridgeline one day I was driving it to work (without the VSA light on) I parked it and when I went to leave work that night it was on and never went off so I drove it a few miles to a Honda dealership just to find out that the air pressure in the tire went low and the VSA light then came on, so if you have this problem check your air pressure. I also have a 05 Honda Odyssey Touring with the run flats and as you are driving it on a warm day you can see the tire pressure changing between 1 to 2 psi and if your tire is at that boardlerline tire pressure already and it drops 1psi it will set it off, also the same thing if you hit a bump the psi will then go up and down for a quick second setting it off. hope this helps :D

#14 ·
The VSA system - short for vehicle stability assist... monitors many different inputs to determine the vehicle's speed, forward acceleration, lateral acceleration and deceleration. In 99.9% of the driving that you do.... the VSA system should do nothing. It will just sit there and watch. If however, a situation arises where the VSA detects a loss of traction, or a oversteer or understeer condition, it will spring into action.

It is totally normal for the VSA light to flash at times... maybe going over a pothole or speed bumps, or a wet railroad crossing or something like that. The VSA light flashing just informs the driver that the system is taking some sort of action to improve traction or stability.

In almost ALL driving conditions, leave VSA on. The only time I can see turning it off is in very deep snow, or mud or something. VSA will prevent wheelspin when accelerating but closing the throttle and applying the brakes if needed. Sometimes, like when going slowly through deep snow, wheelspin helps to propel you forward. In those unique situations, turn it off. As soon as you are back to normal driving turn it back on.

A tip for winter driving - A 4WD vehicle accelerates better in the snow than most cars. It however does not stop or turn any better. 4WD does not mean you can drive the speed limit with 6 inches of snow on the road. You still need to slow down!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.