Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Will Not Start

3K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  Andy-Montreal 
#1 ·
I have an '07 RTS with 28K miles and nary a problem until now. I had driven the RL several times during the day and parked it around 3:30. Around 5:30 I went to start it and got a lot of clicking through the relays, blinking dash lights and the speedo needle was bouncing off the peg, but no start. I checked for any electrics I may have left on, but there were none. I put it on the battery charger just for fun and got the same result. The engine did not crank, just got the same blinking & clicking. Two questions: Any ideas as to the cause (or fix) and does the manufacturers warranty cover towing to the dealer? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
Did you put the charger on engine start? I had the same problem last week. Wife left the key on when she was closing sunroof and forgot to turn the key back. If you just have a trickle charger, you are gonna have to leave it a bit. Not sure what you have though.

#3 ·
These are symptoms of a faulty battery. Try charging or replacing the battery. You will find the radio security code taped to the inside left wall of the glove box itself.

#4 ·
If you search around here for "bad battery", you will find countless tales of woe just like yours. The OEM battery stinks. Have it tested if you want, but you're going to have to replace it. If your truck is under warranty, let the dealer handle it.

#7 ·
Around 5:30 I went to start it and got a lot of clicking through the relays, blinking dash lights and the speedo needle was bouncing off the peg, but no start.
Friday, while playing with the A/C blower speeds during random amperage testing (results to be posted on the A/C fan motor harness thread: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23835&highlight=problem ) I ran down my battery.

As the tests were conducted during a 3 to 4-minute timespan, I later attempted to start the truck only to hear the starter engage very slowly, and the instrument cluster clicking and speedo/tach needles bouncing away. The truck started just the same but the cluster remained in this "hyperactive" state until I turned the ignition switch to OFF.

Moral of the story: Our trucks are getting on in years and it's time to replace our batteries. I shoehorned in a Red Optima 35 and I'm good to go for a long time. The battery came with a 3-year no-questions-asked warranty and a 10-year pro-rated warranty. The battery was purchased at Wal-Mart for just under $190.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.