Hard to turn - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman

Hard to turn

We recently purchased a 2008 Ridgeline. My wife is a small person and she complains that it is difficult for her to turn the steering wheel especially when at a stop or very slow speed.
Anything that can be done to make it a little easier for the wife?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 09:14 AM
ROC Rank: Comma Club HOF 10,000+

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2006
Color: Steel Blue / Gray
Re: Hard to turn

Trade it for a Honda Fit.

Buy her a membership at Bally's and some time with Igor

Seriously, it may be that her driving position is not optimal. Have her play with the power seat and steering wheel tilt until she's more on top of the wheel. This should increase the leverage.

I've found the Ridgeline steering effort to be just right for me, and I'm no Igor.

Shovelhd media installation thread
Kenwood DDX8019*Garmin KNA-G510 Nav 2009 Maps*KCA-BT200 Bluetooth*KTC-HR100 HD Radio Tuner*KTC-V500N TV Tuner (RIP)*KCA-iP200 iPod Adapter*SIR-KEN1 Sirius Satellite Radio Tuner with Lifetime Subscription*Webb OEM XM Antenna Conversion*PPI DCX-730 DSP*Eclipse XA4000 Mains Amp*Rockford-Fosgate T1500bd Sub Amp*Rainbow SLC 265 Front Components*Rainbow 165 SL Rear Coaxials*(2) Diamond Audio D610D4 Subs in Custom Subthump Box*KP Technologies Rollup Modules

Best Auto Insurance | Auto Protection Today | FREE Trade-In Quote
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 04:46 PM
ROC Rank: Freshman

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig53 View Post
We recently purchased a 2008 Ridgeline. My wife is a small person and she complains that it is difficult for her to turn the steering wheel especially when at a stop or very slow speed.
I agree that the steering is a bit tough to turn on the Ridgeline. However, there is probably nothing that can be done about it.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 05:56 PM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model Year: 2007
Color: Steel Blue Metallic

It is always easier to turn a vehicle while it is in motion. Make sure whe is not trying to turn the whiil with the truck at a dead stop.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 05:58 PM

Color: Redrock Pearl / Beige

It's kinda wierd this topic came up today. I was just thinking about how easy it is to turn my Ridgeline. I can turn it from lock to lock while sitting still with one finger. (Really) Maybe there is something wrong with your truck.

2006 RTL w/o Navi & 2007 RTX

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 06:48 PM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Color: Nighthawk Black / Beige

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
It's kinda wierd this topic came up today. I was just thinking about how easy it is to turn my Ridgeline. I can turn it from lock to lock while sitting still with one finger. (Really) Maybe there is something wrong with your truck.
There must be something wrong with the steering, because the steering on my RL is quite easy. Not as easy as my wife's MPV, though.

I like the way the RL steers as it is just right. Too easy is not a good thing. My daily driver is an 84 Accord and it has no power steering - good workout.

I suggest the OP go back to the dealer with his wife and try another RL to compare with.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 06:48 PM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Model Year: 2013
Color: Dark Cherry Pearl

Add air -- try 34 pounds.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 07:15 PM
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club

Model: *Former Ridgeline Owner
Color: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig53 View Post
Welcome to the ROC... Maybe some weights for exercise... My wife is also dainty but doesn't have this problem... Check the tire pressure and maybe adjust the steering wheel height to a lower position...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-23-2008, 07:39 PM
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club

Model: RTX
Model Year: 2007
Color: White / Beige
Send a message via AIM to djeaux Send a message via Yahoo to djeaux

What vehicle is your wife accustomed to driving? The Ridgeline steers pretty easy for a truck, but it does have a better "feel" than some domestic pickups which have really "loose" power steering.

If she's used to driving a smaller car, the truck will feel harder at first. (My wife's Odyssey mini-van has about the same steering firmness as the Ridgeline...)

Mods: Out of room. See my web page!

Just Another Honda Ho: '86 Accord, '90 Accord, '93 Accord, '96 Odyssey, '97 Odyssey,
'99 Accord, '01 Odyssey, '03 Accord Coupé, '05 Odyssey, '06 Accord Coupé, '07 RTX,
'09 Pilot EX-L RES, '10 Pilot EX-L, '16 Pilot EX-L Nav
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode