LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 11-22-2008, 01:41 AM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman

Model: RTS
Model Year: 2006
Color: Billet Silver / Gray
Send a message via AIM to wadeinde
Exclamation P0420 engine code

i have 112000 miles on my rts, everything runs as it should and all of a sudden my check engine light popped up, telling me.... catalist blah blah blah bank 1, in the past that meant oxygen sensor, (pre-cat).... anyone had this issue.

i erasaed the code and it hasent popped up yet,
any advice would be great, thank
w
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 07:00 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Model: RTL
Color: Redrock Pearl / Gray
Re: P0420 engine code

I have the same code, I needed to pass inspection....my mechanic told me I needed a new "bank1" cat. I took it to Honda they told me the same...I bought a new cat and the light still comes on.

I took it for inspection again and my mechanic (not Honda) told me that Honda replaced the wrong cat...in fact they replaced one that doesn't even have a sensor on it.

I am going to call them this morning about it.

"Build a Man a Fire, and He'll Be Warm for a Day. Set a Man on Fire, and He'll Be Warm for the Rest of His Life."

2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL With Navi Red
www.sakurawalker.com
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 07:24 AM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model Year: 2007
Color: Steel Blue / Gray

P0420: Rear Bank Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold(Bank 1)
There is a test proceedure to see if the problem is intermittent or steady. If steady, the rear WU-TWC needs to be replaced (catalytic converter).
After replacement, the re-learn proceedure should be followed to reset the ECM.
Make sure all lectrical accessories are off (AC, lights radio, etc)
Reset the PCM with the HDS (if you don't access to the HDS, there is a manual method that requires disconnecting the battery)

Turn iginition to on for 2 seconds (dont crank the motor)
Start the motor and run at 3000 rpm until the radiator fan comes on.

Idle the motor for 5 minutes ( don't touch the gas pedal)

If the fan comes on again, dont count the time it is running as part of the 5 minutes ( so if the fan comes on for 30 seconds every 2 minutes, you will run for about 6 1/2 minutes total)
post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 08:37 AM
ROC Rank: Senior

Model: *Former Ridgeline Owner
Color: White / Olive

I'm not a Honda technician, but I was a Lexus technician. The cats rarely fail. 99% of the time when we got a inefficient cat code, it was the sensor. Oxygen sensor. If it came on immediately after the code was cleared, it was usually a short in the heating circuit. Change the sensor, and no more problems.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 08:49 AM

I wonder why it failed emissions then...or maybe it failed because the truck computer told them it was bad.

"Build a Man a Fire, and He'll Be Warm for a Day. Set a Man on Fire, and He'll Be Warm for the Rest of His Life."

www.sakurawalker.com
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:37 AM

It is possible that the sensor is bad or possible dirty. If the sensor is open or shorted, it will throw a different code either P137, 138, 139 or p141.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 09:52 AM

hmmm, well I am going to the dealer in an hour...the service woman told me that there is only 1 cat that can be replaced...and that's the one that was done.

I find it funny that there are sensors on the 2 warm up cats (that can't be replaced, according to her) but no sensors on the one they replaced.

www.sakurawalker.com
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
hmmm, well I am going to the dealer in an hour...the service woman told me that there is only 1 cat that can be replaced...and that's the one that was done.

I find it funny that there are sensors on the 2 warm up cats (that can't be replaced, according to her) but no sensors on the one they replaced.
That woman may not be up to date..
In the manual there is a page for front cat replacement and rear bank replacement. In addition, Each converter has two O2 sensors.

Maybe she needs TRFM.
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-04-2008, 05:56 PM
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club

Model: *Former Ridgeline Owner
Color: Other

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post

I prescribe a tank filled with high test with 2- 12 ounce bottles of Techron and run through the tank going up and down the big hill on route 7. Be sure to floor it and get that v-tec kicking in... This should clean out the system and loosen and burn off the deposits.

If all else fails, at least you had some fun and cleaned out the fuel lines and injectors.

Which dealer are you using?
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-05-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xridgelinex View Post
I prescribe a tank filled with high test with 2- 12 ounce bottles of Techron and run through the tank going up and down the big hill on route 7. Be sure to floor it and get that v-tec kicking in... This should clean out the system and loosen and burn off the deposits.

If all else fails, at least you had some fun and cleaned out the fuel lines and injectors.

Which dealer are you using?
Thta's not going to clean the O2 sensors in the cats. It may make them dirtier.
If the cats are bad or one is bad, it usually is caused by one of two things: Raw gas / very rich mixture passed into the exhaust system or leaded fuel was used ( or possibily contaminated fuel). That might include some additives. I recommend that fuel additives don't be used.
One thing you could try if you have the time and energy is to remove both O2 sensors from each cat, clean them and swap them , front bank to back bank
If the code changes from p0420 to p0430, one or both of the swapped sensors is faulty. If p0420 pops up again, it is either the cat itself or a connector, wire, ECM (!!!) issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode