Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

engine not starting lots of ticking!!!

10K views 29 replies 14 participants last post by  rakapur 
#1 ·
i went to remote start my truck in the morning i thought it started but apparently did not (truck was cold when i got in), when i went outside to get in i notice the lights are flashing (headlights, parking lights, fog lights) slowly, i think nothing of it since i thought i remote started the truck and was in the house for 10 minutes (never had the remote start shut off by itself)
i get in to start it and i get fast ticking noise, and the gas gauge and rpm is moving up and down in sync with the ticking?? what the hell is going on? 2 weeks ago, it seems the battery died but the truck started (trip odometer was at 0 when the truck started)

my day is starting off bad today

#4 ·
i know ticking is from a dead battery but ticking that fast and rpm and gas gauge bouncing up and down never heard of that

called roadside assistance from my insurance company to give me a jump, if it works great if it doesnt well its going to go the the dealer either way

#5 ·
Me too,, last week left the dome light switch on , the one on the face of the dash (3 position switch) on in my wife's RL.
dead battery , disconnected , brought into the basement and threw a charge on it overnight , original "06" battery I might add

mine was absentmindedness--??/ Stupidity

Yours sounds like a small short in the wiring.
Perhaps with the new remote start addition?

#7 ·
Dude. You've been around here for 2,000+ posts. Seen at least a dozen battery threads. Same failure mode. It's the battery. It may be covered under warranty. Check the dealer before buying one yourself.

:act060:

:act030:

#12 ·
you guys were right, it was just the battery, never heard of those symptoms before now, now i know. it did feel like the battery wanted to die while i was driving (maybe i was imagining it) but anyway i am making an appointment on Wednesday at the Honda dealer (and while i wait laugh at the way overpriced Accord Crossover). dont want to go through this **** when school starts

#22 ·
D*mn piece-o-crap truck. ;act028:

#25 ·
This also happened to me about 2 hours ago. When I put the keys on the ignition and turned it made alot of noise as ticking (appeared to the wires misfiring) and then all lights in the panel went on ("possessed") and then everything shut off completely. The car never turned on. I assumed that was the battery and called AAA. Before they arrived the car started to make the same " noise again" (the key was obviously in the ignition) and then all lights inside the car came on and I turned the key and the car worked as if nothing had happened.
I read about troubleshooting Ridgeline and came accross A RECALL FOR 2006-2007 for the issues that I reported. It happend to someone while driving (twice) and he almost got into an accident. Now the dealer is recalling. BE AWARE! IT MAY NOT BE THE BATTERY.

#29 ·
My battery is pretty bad, I need to replace it, so I carry one of those Black and Decker jump starters. It works great. Over Christmas we had a big ice storm and the falling branches and ice kept making my lights flash when they would hit the truck. 2 days later when I could finally get out to leave, the battery was dead.

#30 ·
alright new problem involving the replacement battery

today i jump started my friends car when i took the jumper cables of i found out the the positive hook of the wire doesnt ring on tight enough to the positive terminal, i just thought they did not tighten the wire but it was VERY tight, how do i fix this without taking the truck in??

the ring does stay on the terminal but not if you pull it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.