LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: 8k Comma Club

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2007
Color: Nimbus Gray Metallic
Garage
Coolant tank nearly empty! Help!

I just bought my '07 RTL on Saturday. It has 75,000 miles on it and has been very well maintained; however, I opened the hood to check all my fluids this evening. Everything is fine except the coolant overflow tank is nearly empty. This really worried me, so I starting looking everywhere. There are no leaks or drips anywhere that I can see. I'm going directly to the Honda dealer tomorrow to get a gallon of the Honda coolant to fill it up to the appropriate level. Everything seems to be running fine and it's not overheating at all. Is this a really bad thing? I have read the downfalls of getting air into the system, so of course I'm going to fill it up asap. Any input will help...

Westin black running boards, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, GE Nighthawk Sport headlight bulbs, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Pyle backup camera
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 05:46 PM
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club

Model: RT
Color: Steel Blue / Gray
Garage
Re: Coolant tank nearly empty! Help!

Fill it up to the proper level, if after a few days it's staying at the level you filled it too, you have nothing to worry about, if it goes down a lot in a couple of days,,, start worrying.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 06:16 PM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model: RTX
Color: Dark Cherry Pearl

I agree. You can also use any pre mixed antifreeze from any parts store. You don't have to use the twice as expensive Honda stuff. Just make sure that you don't get the stuff with the GM additive.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for the replies. I checked the actual radiator cap and the fluid is all the way up to the top. I'm guessing it's just low and the water content has evaporated over time. I'm a little wary of using non-Honda products when it comes to this truck. The Honda coolant may be more expensive, but it's what was formulated to work in this thing and it's what I'm going to trust. I'm also going to very carefully and slowly fill it from the radiator cap itself so the fluid flows down the tube and into the tank. That way there's no way I can get any air bubbles. Just curious... how much does a gallon of Honda coolant typically cost at a dealer?

Westin black running boards, AVS vent visors, AVS bug shield, blue LED interior switches, LED interior/exterior lights, GE Nighthawk Sport headlight bulbs, Weathertech floor mats, Extang Trifecta soft tonneau cover, Pioneer AVH-P4400BH bypassed head unit, Metra Axxess ASWC, Jensen Carbon 65C components, Jensen Power 400 2ch bridged amp, 10" Boss Onyx shallow sub in custom behind-seat enclosure, FatMat sound deadening, Pyle backup camera
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:03 PM
ROC Rank: 4k Comma Club

Model: *Former Ridgeline Owner
Model Year: 2006
Color: Other

Add the fluid to the tank... The cap unscrews.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:07 PM
ROC Rank: Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRTL View Post
Thanks for the replies. I checked the actual radiator cap and the fluid is all the way up to the top. I'm guessing it's just low and the water content has evaporated over time. I'm a little wary of using non-Honda products when it comes to this truck. The Honda coolant may be more expensive, but it's what was formulated to work in this thing and it's what I'm going to trust. I'm also going to very carefully and slowly fill it from the radiator cap itself so the fluid flows down the tube and into the tank. That way there's no way I can get any air bubbles. Just curious... how much does a gallon of Honda coolant typically cost at a dealer?
Ian, I'm with you on this one, not sure how much a gallon is but if it gives you peace of mind using Honda parts/fluids by all means do so. I have several times had to add fluid to the overflow tank, Hot here in Fl and perhaps your extra cold winter has evaporated some over time so like others have said get it back to the normal level and just check often until you feel good about it.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLGATOR View Post
Ian, I'm with you on this one, not sure how much a gallon is but if it gives you peace of mind using Honda parts/fluids by all means do so. I have several times had to add fluid to the overflow tank, Hot here in Fl and perhaps your extra cold winter has evaporated some over time so like others have said get it back to the normal level and just check often until you feel good about it.
xridgelinex, I know the cap unscrews, but I was worried about getting air in the system. The tank is pretty much empty, so therefore the tube connecting the tank to the radiator fill cap is also empty. If I just put the fluid in the tank, won't that trap air in the tube, and subsequently put air into the system?

Gator, coincidentally, this is a Florida truck. The original owner was a retired state policeman from just outside Tampa who passed away in late January. His nephew, who is from just outside of Pittsburgh up here, inherited the truck and sold it to me. Because of the warmer temps down there, I guess it's no wonder some of the coolant has evaporated. I'll get it all fixed up tomorrow after work, though. H&A accessories lists a gallon of Honda antifreeze at $14.00 from the dealer and $10.99 on their site. I don't want to wait a few days to receive it just to save a few bucks. I'll probably pick up a few oil plug gaskets and some other random goodies while I'm there, too.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:35 PM
ROC Rank: Senior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanRTL View Post
xridgelinex, I know the cap unscrews, but I was worried about getting air in the system. The tank is pretty much empty, so therefore the tube connecting the tank to the radiator fill cap is also empty. If I just put the fluid in the tank, won't that trap air in the tube, and subsequently put air into the system?

Gator, coincidentally, this is a Florida truck. The original owner was a retired state policeman from just outside Tampa who passed away in late January. His nephew, who is from just outside of Pittsburgh up here, inherited the truck and sold it to me. Because of the warmer temps down there, I guess it's no wonder some of the coolant has evaporated. I'll get it all fixed up tomorrow after work, though. H&A accessories lists a gallon of Honda antifreeze at $14.00 from the dealer and $10.99 on their site. I don't want to wait a few days to receive it just to save a few bucks. I'll probably pick up a few oil plug gaskets and some other random goodies while I'm there, too.
Good Luck and have some fun with your Ridge
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-30-2010, 07:43 PM
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Model: RTX
Color: Dark Cherry Pearl

IAN pouring the coolant into the reservoir won't put air into the system. Your radiator is full, so there is no air in it. The water is drawn into the radiator from the reservoir as it either leaks or the coolant gets cold lessoning the volume. Then the radiator puts it back into the reservoir as the coolant heats up and the coolant expands. The only way that air can get into your system is that if the reservoir runs completely out and there is no coolant to replace what leaks. It is intended to be filled at the reservoir.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Stopped by the dealer on the way home tonight and got some Type 2 Honda coolant. It was $15 for a gallon. Certainly a little more expensive than, say, Prestone, but it's worth it IMO. I'm just gonna stick with all genuine Honda fluids with this truck with the exception of the oil. I'm gonna switch it over to a full synthetic, but I'm not sure which one yet. I have about 2000 miles before I have to decide. Anyways, I let the truck sit for about 2 hours. Before it got totally dark outside, I went to fill the overflow tank. The radiator was still just slightly warm to the touch, so I filled the tank to halfway between the two marks. I'm gonna check it tomorrow before I start it and then when I get to work when it's hot. Thanks for all of you guys' help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode