Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

2013 Ridgeline Sport-motor bleeding oil between head and block

3K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  Ridgy2428 
#1 ·
Check out my story... bought a brand new Honda Ridgeline Sport on November 9th, 2012. Loved the truck! Was installing rear splash guards November 21st (Thanksgiving eve) and noticed some oil on the floor. It was about 7 PM, we had planned on going skiing up north the next day, so rather than call the dealer I bought it from... I called the closest in Manchester, NH. They said I could come down immediately. Upon arriving at the dealer, the took the truck in back, and performed an oil die test to determine the source of the leak. The service guy comes back shaking his head... says oil is bleeding between the head and the block! To make a long story short... this dealer ends up doing nothing other than offering to "buy" the truck back for $4k less than what I paid for it with another dealer. I contact the dealer I bought the truck from and they TOW the truck back to their dealership. Once in house, they determine the previous dealer has done nothing up to this point, see the leak is a result of a casting issue and immediately order a new engine. My contention through the whole thing is that I do not want a repaired truck... but, rather a replacement. So... as I write this posting today... the truck was in my garage for 12 days... and at Honda's garage for 14 days. Corporate Honda (in CA) takes zero responsibilty for their product stating that the contract is between me and my dealer. I am supposed to find out later today if the truck will actually be replaced or if I will be making payments on a vehicle with 431 miles on the chasis, a replacement motor, and non-matching vins. What a nightmare...

See less See more
#2 ·
Had a similar problem with a new vehicle. Was in the shop on and off within three days of buying it. Had a PA lemon lawsuit against the manufacturer which led to a settlement of which the lawyer took half. Traded it in and bought a ridgeline. That whole process took over six months. None of the manufacturers care anymore. Get it fixed and trade it in.

#5 ·
I would take the new engine but I would ask the selling dealer if there is anything else you want from them to compensate you for your time and hassle. For example, extended warranty on top of the 3 year, additional service, free future service for engine oil, fluids.

It will cost them less to keep you happy than to have a negative report for not taking care of you.

#6 ·
I would take it back to the dealer, super glue his palms to the floor, and drive it right up his *ss!:act035:

There should be absolutely no answer but a new Ridgeline. No deals, no compromise, no extended warranty and a replacement engine, nada zip, nil, bumpkiss!

If you let them get away with anything, you wil be screwed for as long as you own it, and you'll be paying top $ a month on a very expensive vehicle and never ever have peace of mind.

I had a similar occurance (brakes) with my 08 right off the showroom floor. The dealer was sorry he ever saw mw come through the door!

Your issue is much much worse!

#7 ·
I agree here. Fight for a replacement. A RL with non-matching VIN's on the body and the engine block is not worth as much - even if it is brand new. The dealership should step up and work with Honda USA on this. Whereas the dealership sold you the truck, it is STILL a Honda product. At the very least, Honda USA should cover the entire cost of the repair through the warranty and cut you a check for the monetary loss in depreciation caused by this.

#9 ·
Tough situation, demand a new one, but the dealer would prefer to not take much of a loss and just fix it under warranty paid by Honda of course.

Good luck, and keep us posted of the outcome! Keep pushing

#10 ·
One of the Honda books in the glove box should have the Lemon Laws for every state in it. I would find the pages for your state and them find a Lawyer. If the page states arbitration, ask for an arbitration ASAP. A call to the Dealer's State Attorney Generals' office might get things going with a call to the Dealer. Bet the dealer will act on that. Many years ago I had an engine issue with a Volkswagon that had less than 2000 miles - the dealer was nice but got nowhere, the Attorney General (who also bought a car there) contacted VW of America in my behalf and 7 days later VW took my vehicle back with no cost to me. ( I had a VW for 6 weeks and used it for 8 days - took it on vacation to Florida and got home and the next day the engine fell out onto the road. They kept trying to put it back, but it kept shearing the motor mounts and falling on the road - on day 20 I called the Attorney Generals office and within an hour call a call back from the man himself. - He later became a senator from that state - the last Democrat to be a Senator in the slot - Republicans bump him when Ronald Reagan ran for president. He was a great senator, but was the wrong party after 1980.

#11 ·
Meh, its a new motor. matching VINs dont mean anything nowadays, its not a musclecar. I do understand its a new car and you want it to match but if its gonna cost you more money for a lawyer and more time blah blah blah, I would just tell them simply you want a new RL or threaten them with a lawsuit , not necessarily doing it.

#12 ·
Nicely said 716. When is the last time anyone has ever checked vin numbers to see if they matched on a "modern" non collectible vehicle? It wouldn't hurt to try and get something out of the deal for your time and headache, but I would be satisfied with a new motor and full Honda warranty. Im sure everyone said the same thing about a 69 camaro ss back in the day....but I highly doubt a ridgeline will ever be a collector.

#13 ·
They have 30 days to fix the problem or else it is considered a lemon.

http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/sourcebook/lemon-law.htm

Get a lawyer, they usually work for "free". That is, Honda will pay them. I had a similar issue with a Hyundai in NC - and they took the car back, refunded all payments that I had made, and paid off my loan.

I chose this route, because it was a Hyundai. If you trust Honda, you could get a new RL.

#15 ·
I wouldn't stress out too much over a new engine. Everything will be checked over twice as compared to coming from the factory. It's a bummer, but life is short. Enjoy the truck.

I would try for an extended warranty or some sort of compensation for your time and lowered value of the truck. Arguably the truck has lost value due to this issue. Maybe a high end, 2way remote starter for those cold NH winters!

If they are total A-holes go to arbitration.

#16 ·
My question is how this would appear on a Carfax? I know it sounds stupid to ask, but every service call ends up on the Carfax. Every oil change, brake fix, etc. at the dealership. I don't know how it would effect the resale/trade-in value of the vehicle with an engine replacement. Maybe not at all being the replacement engine should be new as opposed to rebuilt, but it's worth finding out about. I don't know how much detail on a repair gets put into a report in a Carfax. There is no doubt they should replace the vehicle outright, but who knows. I'd call TV news. Dealerships hate this kind of "advertising", if you know what I mean.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#17 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.