Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

2012 Ridgeline Peeling Paint

Tags
paint peeling
6K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  rags 
#1 ·
I bought my White 2012 Ridgeline in August. It was about 9:00 PM when I took delivery of my Ridgeline. The next day I noticed the paint was not quite shiny like every other new car I have purchased. Now in December, I noticed the paint is peeling on the hood and the primer is visible. Is anyone else experiencing peeling paint on their Ridgeline? Dealer agreed to repaint the hood, but now the resale value of my car just dropped drastically. Any suggestions?

#2 ·
That would be "snow." It peels very easily as the weather warms.

#12 ·
The reason my concern is due to the Lemon Law. If there is an issue that significantly affects the resale value, the Lemon Law takes affect. The entire paint is lack luster. It seems there is no clear coat on it at all. Honda agreed to repaint under warranty as I just bought it in August 2012....but now this thing will have a "carfax" note and may not be able to be sold as a "certified pre owned" vehicle. I'm thinking lemon law.

#4 ·
If the paint on the rest of the vehicle has the same lack of luster as the hood, you are probably in for more trouble. The next place I would expect to peel is the front of the roof, right over the windshield. Sounds like a bad batch of paint or something along those lines. If you've got problems with yours there almost have to be others in the same shape - Maybe just in white, maybe not. If the difference in paint is that noticeable, I'd try to park beside another new one, get pics, and start working your way up the Honda food chain.

#5 · (Edited)
I bought a brand new 1990 Accord EX in grey, paint looked great the whole 8-years I drove it. Bought a brand new 1993 10-Anniversary Edition Accord in white and the paint turned chalky and dull in 2-years. Both were garage kept and hand-washed weekly, waxed 4-times a year.

Bad experience with white Accord made me think twice about buying another Honda. Thankfully, my white 2012 RL paint looks great so far.

I'd suggest having paint inspected by independent body shop to be sure bad paint is limited to hood. At the least, dealer should repaint hood and give you a loaner.

#6 ·
No peeling on my 2012 Silver. I do have paint defects.
Blemish under the clear coat on drivers side C-pillar, it actually looks like it was wet sanded or buffed improperly before the clear was applied.
On drivers door there is reverse ding in lower portion of the door skin. Dealership and an independent bodyshop both suspect there was a piece of debri inside the door when the inner and outer door skins were assembled together. Pretty wild.

Truck was at dealership today having glovebox rattle fixed, rubber/plastic tray above glove box replaced since it was separating from dash on leading edge, and very squeaky dash repaired.

Dealership has been treating me well and they will repair the exterior finish defects though I'm not sure if I want bodyshop messing with paint. Maybe I'll just accept the defects.

In your case I'd get an expert opinion from a trusted bodyshop as to what the problem is with your paint. Is is defective paint? Was your truck exposed to environmental contaminant? What is the extent of the problem with your finish, is it just the hood or is it the whole truck?

Repainting a hood or fender or roof (when done properly) is not going to affect the resale as much as I suspect you think it will. It's not an accident and should not show up on Carfax history.

After the truck is repaired, if you are not happy with the repair perhaps the dealer will consider an arrangement where the 2012 is traded in on a 2013 at a reasonable cost.

Good luck.

#15 ·
thanks for the info. I recently sold my 2010 Mercedes Benz E550 Coupe. The inspector for AutoTrader came out with a paint tester. What the tester does is measure the thickness of the paint. According to him, the paint should be between .3 and .5 mm thick. If it's thicker, that indicates that the panel has been painted and value drops. I have a 2006 Lexus RX470. After the vehicle was keyed in the mall parking lot, the entire left side of the vehicle had to be repainted. Tried to sell it at a CarMax and they told me they had to reduce the value by about $5000.00 dollars because they don't have "good luck" with warranty issues of cars that have been repainted. So, I guess if I don't get satisfaction from the dealer, I will have to contact a lemon law attorney. I am hoping for the best.

#8 ·
Have you begun to check on warranty coverage? I believe you are covered for defects and defective paint. I'd review your 2012 warranty to determine what is covered, then begin immediately working with your dealer toward a resolution.

If there is a warranty available, and Honda begins to argue that you caused this or that they're not liable, then I'd bring in an independent as a counter to them and begin escalating up the food chain.

#10 ·
ONE POST...on a 2012! WARRANTY!!! Especially for paint peeling!

Of course, there was that other guy who had a door striker and latch MALADJUSTED from the factory on a 2012.

Perhaps the Alabama plant needs to change some supervisors in the "final" department! (If all of this is not BS).

#21 ·
My white 2013 the finish is quite dull. Kind of like no clear coat.

Of those having a peeling issue, what colors are peeling ? Is there a commonality of color?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.