Top Plastic Bed Rails Coming OFF! - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 04:36 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Freshman

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2006
Color: Nighthawk Black / Beige
Top Plastic Bed Rails Coming OFF!

I've had my Ridge since the end of March! Love it! BUT, my plastic bed rails along the top side of the bed are separating from the front attachments. I took it in for a car wash today and when I got home I could lift the front rails up about 2" to 3"!

Anyone else have this problem....solution?

I'm taking it to the dealer next week for another speaker cover vibration issue, so I'll try to get this addressed as well. I hate plastic parts!

I just may have to do all my washing at home now...or at least go to a touch-less car wash in the future...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 04:59 PM
ROC Rank: Junior

Model: RTS
Re: Top Plastic Bed Rails Coming OFF!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgeflyer

I've had my Ridge since the end of March! Love it! BUT, my plastic bed rails along the top side of the bed are separating from the front attachments. I took it in for a car wash today and when I got home I could lift the front rails up about 2" to 3"!

Anyone else have this problem....solution?

I'm taking it to the dealer next week for another speaker cover vibration issue, so I'll try to get this addressed as well. I hate plastic parts!

I just may have to do all my washing at home now...or at least go to a touch-less car wash in the future...
....had the same problem. The rail cap is easily fixed. At the very back of the cap, you'll see one of the "oval" shaped ribs had a notch for a screwdriver. Pop it off, and remove the screw underneath. The rail cap will slide back a few inches, then it will lift right off. You'll see the "keyhole" notches in the top of the bed rail sheetmetal. The cap has plastic tabs that line up into the notches, then slide the cap forward. Re-insatll the screw, and plastic cap.
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Thanks RTP!

I'll go take a look at it...this is why I love this forum so much! It's a plethora of information!

Thanks again...
post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-29-2006, 09:58 PM
ROC Rank: 5k Comma Club

Color: Steel Blue / Gray

Our first encounter with this problem came today with a couple who drove down to our ROC-ky Mountain Meet in Utah. Just last week, if I remember correctly, they were driving up to Park City and noticed the right bedrail flapping and folded back in half.

You're mentioned solution helped them but is not the final answer for them for two reasons: Some of the plastic tabs that go into the keyholes are broken off and there is a bulge in the plastic where it folded. They have a new one on order and will have it replaced under warranty.

I'm going to forward this thread onto Gary and Darlene. I'm sure they'll be very interested in reading this, as we'd told them that was a new issue we hadn't heard of before. Maybe they'll go ahead and join the ROC!

'06 Steel BLUE RTL with NAV, OEM roof rack, running boards, backup camera, hitch, rear mud guards, air deflector, underseat storage, body side moldings, pin stripes, decals, Doggie Deck, Retrax, vent visors, bull bar, dash plate, tubular hitch step, XM!!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 07-31-2006, 07:44 AM
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club

Model: RTS
Model Year: 2008

Those tabs are easily broken, especially by anyone removing them who does not know the removal trick. After the back set screws are removed, the cap piece must be slid back about 1 inch and then can be safely lifted. If you try to lift the cap off forceably, it will break a couple of tabs.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 11:22 AM Thread Starter

Ok All,

I had my Bed Finishers fixed today at the dealership. Service manager said they have been starting to see a few more trucks with this problem. He said they had one truck that the Finisher blew completely off. Bummer!

The warranty covered an $84.42 fix! Hopefully, this will not show up again? Fingers crossed...
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 01:32 PM
ROC Rank: Junior

Mine didn't come off luckily, but someone did tighten down the screws too much at the factory. The plastic under the screws got pinched and the screw popped through. Dealer ordered two new ones with no questions.

when removing and reattaching be careful how much you tighten down those screws.

Born on Date 4/05
2006 Nighthawk Black RTL w/moonroof, Westin Platinum series nerf bars, Honda tonneau cover, Day/Night mirror, Fog Lights, Bed Extender, Harmon Karden Drive & Play(IPOD connector) w/Soundgate HOND3 adapter, Davstar keysafe, Stealth turn signal Bulbs, RamMount Laptop stand w/ Route66 GPS software 5S Dude Door Sills.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 02:30 PM
ROC Rank: 7k Comma Club

Ironicaly, I started a thread a few days ago concerning an experience I had at my local car wash. When my RL came out of the wash rack I noticed the attendants taped down the front of each cap. I assume they had a problem with a RL once before and do this as a precaution.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 10:42 PM Thread Starter

The car wash did a number on my rails...that's when I first noticed the problem...I think in the future, I'll take some blue drywall tape and tape the fronts down before I let it go thru the car wash.

What: 2006 Nighthawk Black Pearl RTL, When: 3-23-2006, Where: Right Honda in Scottsdale, Arizona, Why: Great standard features, FWD/AWD, Size of the truck, TRUNK!!, Honda Reputation, Manufactured: 12/05, Added: Bed Extender, IPOD Music Link, Average MPG: 18.7, MPG Range: 18.1 to 23.1, Current Miles: 10,600 as of 11-22-2006
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2006, 11:31 PM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Good info - thanks. Mine has always been sitting about half an inch off. I thought it was safe and wouldn't come off. I guess I better get it fixed before it really gets damaged or lose it altogether.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline > Problems & Issues

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode