Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Pioneer HU w/ Pioneer Backup Cam Issue

3K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  IanRTL 
#1 ·
Anybody familiar with Pioneer units and their camera on/off setting (underneath the icon) in the setting menu? I've seen Youtube vids that, when it's off, the cam will display only when it's in reverse. If left on, the cam's just always on so I assume that's how mine should function.

I spliced into the reverse light wire behind the driver's kick panel. When the camra is on, it will have a black screen constantly until I put it in reverse, then it works fine. I put it in gear and I'm just looking at the black screen. I can touch the screen and it goes back to the bluetooth audio screen where I can view what's playing but that goes off after a moment and back to the black screen. With the cam off, nothing happens when I put it in reverse. Confusing.

I have the Pioneer AVH-X5500BHS with the Pioneer camera. Am I doing something wrong? Should I connect it in a different way?

#2 ·
Don't have or know your system but I'll offer some general thoughts on your problems.
If it should work all the time, which I question being something Pioneer would allow, then it's possible that there is a wiring issue. The reverse wire sounds like it is doing what it's susposed to which would mean the camera is not being fed power, or triggered on, in the "on" mode.
My other thought would be that Pioneer has made the unit incapable of showing the rear camera input when the car is in forward gear and that the youtube video is from someone who has hacked the system to override that safety feature.
Finally, I'd not discourage you from asking on fourms, someone may know. But, if it were me, I'd be trying to contact Pioneer Tech support and ask them the question. Go straight to the Horses mouth...

#3 ·
I have a pioneer camera and head unit. The 3400bt. The camera is always wired to have power when the vehicle is on. It just recieves a signal to switch to it from the reverse signal . I had no issues with mine. Something got messed up in the wiring. Double check your install and read the manual. I can hold down the mute button to stop the back up can in reverse and go to the home screen.

There are some settings for the camera, if it gets a positive or ground signal to turn on. And a camera type setting. You should be able to find these settings on your head unit

#5 ·
I have that combination installed also and it works perfectly. That Camera on button is just for when you are in Drive and you want to look behind say to check out your trailer hitch. It should normally be off. The camera is supposed to be hooked up so when you put the truck into reverse the camera comes on otherwise the screen displays whatever media source you have currently selected.

#6 ·
You have your cam wired into your reverse light which only recieves power when the truck itself is in reverse. So, your cam only recieves power when the backup lights are on. This is the way I have mine wired. I don't tow anything, so I really have no need to have power going to it all the time. If you want to be able to use it in the way you have stated, you're going to need to remove the power wire from the reverse wire and connect it to an accessory 12v power source that is on all the time when the truck is running. I believe there may be something like that in the pre-wiring for the tow hitch, but I'm not certain.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.