Which one would you recommend?

• Bull Bar

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • Grill/Brush Guard

Votes: 11 28.9%

Bull Bar vs. Grille Guard

25K views 36 replies 17 participants last post by  TDotCord 
#1 ·
Ok. So I am trying to decide on these two and I am deadlocked on a decision. I am looking for some outside views and input on the benefits, cons, etc., on the bullbar vs the grille/brush guard. Leaning towards the bull bar for the reason of the skid plate. But, I like the look of the grille guard and the protection factor for the headlights, etc. So, give me your best reasons for or against either one. And I am sure in the end....I still won't know what to do. :act002:

#10 ·
Not looking to do a lot of off-roading. Some here and there. More of a look thing for me. But the pit maneuver does sound like fun. Could make rush hour interesting.

#6 ·
Ok. Here are some pictures. I am not to concerned about specific brands yet, just the style. But, if someone has experience, either good or bad, with a specific brand, manufacturer, style, etc., then I would welcome that input as well. Like with the vast majority of my mods, they are a result of the input and experience found on this forum.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Ford

Granted, this is on an Explorer, but it is the style I am concerned with.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Pickup truck

This has the chromed skid plate. Has anyone blacked this out? And if so, how difficult a job is that?
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Honda ridgeline

I'm pretty sure that the red RL is from a member on here. It looks very familiar.
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Pickup truck Honda ridgeline

So Gouranga, what "crappy little bars under the front fender" are you referring to? Are you talking about the Bull Bars?

#11 ·
I love my Bullbar especially with my PIAA Fog Lights, loved it on my CRV, but bottom line in an accident, they all take a beating. :act047:

The Bull bar might save your lights from damage, as the grille guards actually bend the bars into the lights breaking them instantly!:act064:

#14 ·
for reference on a new black ridge

#19 ·
its ok i dont get bothered by 16 year old keyboard warriors.....aside from that the bull bar was on both my 08 and 13 and has won ridgeline of the month twice this year....any way i digress....the bar was bought on ebay and i believe it was APS and it was all black

Reactions: DinoSpum0ni
#22 ·
evil twin with the black one of angel with the white one?

#26 ·
All the different brand bull bars I've seen posted on here look good in my opinion, BUT...I bought the Westin b/c the other cheaper brands, while they still look good, are bigger and do not fit the truck as nicely IMO, The bull bars do look a bit odd from the side angle and even more odd with the bigger ones like Steelcraft.

#27 · (Edited)
Hello;
I have the brush-grille gard. i would definatly get the full coverage. I hit a 1500 lb steer this summer and did a lot less damage with the brush-grille gard.
the ins. company told me the damage would of been around $7.000 to $8.000 .
without the grill gard. the grill gard saved my truck from extencive damage. with it ,the damage was $2700 .you decide. im sold on the brush-grille gard. The last picture is the truck after repairs. The grille gard saved the bumper and the grille itself
Don

Attachments

#29 ·
I was really leaning towards the bull bar. Lots of great discussion on here, but I pulled the pin yesterday and ordered an Aries grill guard, all black. The pros for the full guard won me over as well as the profile look. I was actually able to see one on a RL and liked the way it looked from all angles. The bull bar looks good, but the profile look to me just didn't sell me. So, hope to get it in a few days and will post pics after I get it installed.

Thanks for all of the help though. As always, a lot of good information on here.

I know that it shows a Toyota in the picture....but the guard is the same style, construction, etc.

#33 ·
Ok. Install is now done on the Aries grillguard that I purchased. Not to bad of a job. The biggest pain is dropping the splash guard and marking out where the cuts need to happen. That and finding all of the little clips that need to come out. Once that was done....it was pretty smooth sailing. I will say that the included instructions are a joke. A template would have been nice for the splash guard since it is somewhat difficult to get an accurate measurement for the cuts. Anyway....here are some pics.

Table Furniture Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bumper Automotive exterior

#34 ·
Nice. I really have to figure out how to fix the spun nut in my Black Horse guard and get it re-attached some day...

- Chip

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.