Ridgeline: so easy to break in. - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Ridgeline: so easy to break in.

Today I am an unfortunate victim of theft.

I wasn't suppose to work today but a good friend of mine needed to be off at 11 a.m to attend to important matters. On my day off, WHEN IT WAS 73 deg F outside,I willingly work in her behalf from 11 am-7 pm.Whatever I earned today was not even half of the total cost of all the stuff I lost.

When I entered my Ridge the first thing I noticed was that my VR3 wireless backup camera screen was missing ( the camera itself is still attached to the rear plates). I noticed it right away because I needed to back up to leave the garage.These were the missing items, and all were hidden from plain sight except for the VR3 sitting on the dashboard.

1. VR3 backup camera
2. Magellan 760 GPS
3.Rayban sunglasses
4.Pentax optio Camera ( I just noticed it when I arrived home)
5.$110 cash
6.Passport speed radar
7.Leatherman camping knife
8.Tire pressure gauge
9. Spare celphone
10.Rechargeable flood light/large flashlight

On the police report I filed I wasn't able to include the digital camera, tire pressure gauge, rechargeable floodlight/large flashlight and the leatherman camping knife coz I only found out about it when I arrived home.

The Ridge locks by itself automatically If one forgets to close it. One thing I'm sure I lock it today because I always make it a point to hear the beep sound when I obsesively and compulsively press the remote lock 3x.

Their were no broken windows and no evidence of forced entry per the policeman I talked too, anyone care to guess how those lowlifes got in? Is the ridge that easy to access? If yes then it can be easy to carnap as well.

Four months ago, my wife brought the Ridgeline for a one day conference in PA.She had it valet parked and sure enough on the next day she was handed the keys, the rear passenger window on the right side of the driver was broken, the thief wanted the contents of a cooler which had one Gatorade, a Coke in can and 1-2 bottles of water on it.Bet he was disapponted to find their was no beer because he spilled the ice all over the carpet of the front passenger side.The only good thing that came out of it was that the Hotels insurance paid for the repair and all that items thet were stolen. I guess I'm not as lucky this time.

What is it with the Ridgeline that attracts these lowlifes? A coworker of mine with an 04 Pilot doesnt even bother to remove his pricey GPS from the dashboard and his very expensive Valentine Speed radar. Its been almost three years that we park almost 2-3 cars away from each other.To date his luck is still holding out.

Maybe just maybe, If I had lock those items in the gloved compartment, It would have been spared from theft. Or maybe I could have a broken glove compartment and all those stuff still missing. Ahh well it could have been worse, my baby could have been carnap and everything would be lost.

Sorry for the long rant, I need to let go off steam otherwise I may get a stroke.

Last edited by MarylandRidge; 01-07-2007 at 12:37 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 12:10 AM
Pug
ROC Rank: 3k Comma Club

Model: RTL
Model Year: 2006
Color: Billet Silver / Gray
Re: Ridgeline: so easy to break in.

Geeez! That sucks!
Sorry to hear it, MR.
I suppose the garage has no security cams, either? Some do. I'd inquire about the possibility...

Glad to hear YOU are OK! Like you said... it COULD have been worse!

take care,
Pug
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 12:17 AM
ROC Rank: Senior

Not sure what you mean that the " Ridge locks by itself if you forget to lock it ".... that only works when you use your key to unlock the doors but fail to open the door to get in within 20 - 30 seconds, thats when it will re-lock and arms the alarm by itself.... other than that, I would say you may have forgotten to lock her up that day... I do that once in awhile because it so routine everyday I get to work, other than that I don't think any thief using a flat bar could break in without setting off the alarm... unless you didn't hear it. To bad about your stuff though. I find that people who break in to cars do not pick them randomly...they even watch you if you put anything in the trunk...

Silver EX-L w/MR]Full nose bra, Moonroof deflector, Rear mud guards, Body side moulding, Block heater, locking lug nuts. Cargo net...
post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 04:35 AM
ROC Rank: Junior

Color: Billet Silver Metallic

MR,
So sorry to hear about that! The financial loss is bad, and sometimes feelings or violation and loss of security can be even worse.

However, I'm not really getting the vibe that the Ridge is easy to break into...
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 05:45 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Model: RTS
Model Year: 2010
Color: White / Beige
Send a message via Skype™ to John32070
Question Re: Ridgeline: so easy to break in.

I'm not positive, but if it is broken into with the security system armed, shouldn't the horn sound when you come back and disarm it to let you know something happened while you were gone?
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
ROC Rank: Sophomore

Unhappy Re: Ridgeline: so easy to break in.

No alarm sounded, On 1/6/07 I parked at 11 am then came back to the garage at 7:15 pm.

It's true that the feeling of being violated and ones sense of security is compromise when these things happened.The monetary lost is easy to get over with, but the lingering suspicion of a repeat of such in the future kind of eats one up.

Anyway, it could have been worse (I could have a broken window as well) and I still believe in karma.Whatever one covets away from others, will come back to em 10 fold.
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Pug

It is true that until something like this happens to you, you don't understand the feeling you are left with. I understand how you feel.
Trying to convey this feeling to others is the problem...

My son ALWAYS leaves his car unlocked. He's never had anything taken from it, and he seems to think that noone will bother it. I tried to tell him that, indeed, bad things DO happen to good people, but he shrugs it off with, "There's nothing THAT valuable in the car."
He doesn't want to "not trust people". He always looks for the best in people.

Sadly, he'll learn someday that what he wants, isn't necessarily the way that it is in reality.

If only everyone thought the way he does... this discussion wouldn't have to be held.

It's easy to say that "everything is going to be okay, MR"... but the reality of it is... I'd keep an extra-close watch on the RL, especially when parking in a parking garage. There's plenty of statistics showing that public parking garages are the worst places when it comes to security.

Good luck,
Pug
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 09:41 AM
ROC Rank: 2k Comma Club

Color: Nighthawk Black / Beige

I can't think of any way that someone could get into your locked truck without leaving some sign of forced entry, unless they have a key or an RF recorder that picked up your signal when you locked it, but even then the truck and key share a rolling algorithm meaning that the next signal cannot be guessed. I have a feeling that you may have left it unlocked. When you returned and naturally unlocked the truck from a little distance you wouldn't know that it was already unlocked. Sorry for you losses. That really sucks. An unlocked truck is no excuse for some lowlife stealing your stuff.

Last edited by Lingered_I; 01-07-2007 at 09:45 AM.
post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by John32070
I'm not positive, but if it is broken into with the security system armed, shouldn't the horn sound when you come back and disarm it to let you know something happened while you were gone?
I'm feeling kinda lazy this morning... don't feel like going out to the Ridge to get the manual...
Is it stated in the manual that there will be some sort of indication by the alarm system that it was "compromised", upon returning to the RL, and opening it up?
My previous vehicle's alarm system would "beep" a coded certain number of times to let me know HOW it was compromised.
Just wondering,
Pug
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 01-07-2007, 10:45 AM
ROC Rank: 1k Comma Club

Send a message via Yahoo to bongus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug
Is it stated in the manual that there will be some sort of indication by the alarm system that it was "compromised", upon returning to the RL, and opening it up?
Pug
That would be nice. Unfortunately our RLs do not have this feature. I went a step further and added the Mobile Guardian to my RL. It a neat little gadget that will send you a text message (if your phone has the capability) and an email if your alarm has been activated. Also in the event that your RL has been stolen, you can actually track the vehicle online and inform the correct authorities on its where abouts. If you feel brave enough, you can always chase down the lowlifes yourself.

What we do in life echos in eternity!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums > Honda Ridgeline Accessories, Care and Mods > Accessories

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode