Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

New Speakers - Maybe Pioneer??

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Rodek 
#1 ·
Anyone installed Pioneer speakers in their RL? Pioneer is my favorite brand. I found some 2, 3, and 4 ways that would fit. Anyone have any experience? What model do you have? I've read a lot about using the Polk 651. Are these the best choice? Would a 2 way be better than a 3 or 4 way?

#2 ·
I really don't have any experience with Pioneer speakers. I respect their electronics but I don't think they have any reputation for speakers. Their speakers seem to focus too much on bling and cosmetics.

I will say this - there is NO reason to believe that 3-way or 4-way coaxes are better than 2-way. I think it is like they are worse. Most coaxes have terrible crossovers. The individual drivers overlap too much because the typical crossover for each driver is just a highpass filter. And cramming a midrange and tweeter into a 6 1/2 inch frame is just a bad idea.

#3 ·
The Rev line is pretty good. What price range are you trying to stay in and are you wanting to stay with coaxials or would you go with components. One answer to this question is, what will be powering these speakers. If it is the factory deck or a after market headunit, I'd go with coaxials, but if you are amping them with a good amount of clean power, I'd say components.

#5 ·
yeah the pioneer revs are cool. The Polks that people have bought on here are pretty good, the Infinity's are good. I use DLS 165s in the rear off my Alpine deck, they are my favs.

#7 ·
Entry level Pioneer speakers actually sound great. They're generally more efficient than most aftermarket speakers so, they are able to produce fairly loud sound with modest headunit power. At the same time, they are also robust enough to handle a decent 50-75 watt RMS per channel amp. In short, you don't have to buy high end speakers to get good sound. Pioneer has been in the audio industry for a long time. If they made crap, they wouldn't be around any more.

I have had good luck using Pioneer Coaxials and Triaxials over the last 20+ years in multiple audio system setups. These setups have been daily drivers on up to competing vehicles in Europe and here in the States. Best advice I can truly give is to give the speakers a good listen. If they sound good to you, fit your budget and fit your musical needs (loudness and calrity), then go for it. They will be hidden behind grills anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.