Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

XM Radio -- How to get the discount

278K views 1K replies 522 participants last post by  Eggman 
#1 ·
There have been multiple threads on this topic -- How to get the discounted $77.00 annual fee once the 3-month tirial expires. Having sorted through all of the posts, and having just had an easy, successful renewal experience, I thought it might be a good idea to start a fresh thread.

o Situation: My three-month trial expires a month from now (February 2, 2006), and I received the normal renewal notice last week (no discounts mentioned).

o Phone number - This is key! Thanks to Joe (and others), I learned that it's best not to call the renewal number they provide on the renewal notice. Rather, do call: (800) 732-6360.

o What to tell them - I said: "I am a Honda Ridgeline owner and just received my notice that the 3-month free trial period will expire in a few weeks. I'm also a member of the Ridgeline Owners Club, and I understand that you are making available to us a special offer of $77.00 for an annual renewal."

o What they said - The agent said: "That's correct, please hold while I set up your renewal." After a short wait, he confirmed that it was all set and asked if I wanted to pay by credit card or receive a bill in the mail. Taking no chances, I paid by credit card. He then confirmed that my card had been charged for $77.00 and that my renewal period was for one year, from February 3, 2006 to February 2, 2007.

My thanks to everyone for all of the trials and tribulations for getting out the word on this deal. Hopefully, we'll be able to work out someing for future (post 1-year) renewals, too!:D :D

See less See more
#3 ·
PS --

I know there have been wide and varied experiences in obtaining this discount. And I know that there are many ROC-heads who have not been granted the discount. I'm wondering if it could be the way in which the service was initiated/activated in the first place?

In my situation, the XM service was activated by the dealer (not by me). Guess that could be a variable that makes a difference in obtaining the renewal discount?

Or is it a matter of calling the correct number and/or having the luck to get a good agent? Some of us have been successful in getting the discount by making repeated calls -- i.e., keep asking until the discount is granted, and not renewing until it is obtained.

:confused:

#4 ·
rtraviator said:
BB, do you know if they would have let you do a multi-year deal, say; $77x3 years for $231?
TL, That's a GREAT question! I meant to ask, but I was so stunned at how easy I obtained the $77.00 renewal that I forgot to ask for the multi-year discount! Let's be sure to try that going forward and see what happens!

Thanks for bringing this up!

Sid

#5 ·
BassBud - Great thread.

XM would NOT let us have more than one year at the $77 rate. They said that this was a special, promotional rate and that it was for one year only. :rolleyes:

Also, we bought a second Honda, with XM, at the same time and they would NOT, no matter what, give us the same $77 deal on it. :mad: We got $88 per year on the second car. We haggled for days with them on this. They said that we were getting a multi subscriber discount. :confused: We finally just gave up as the hassle wasn't worth the $11 anymore.

At any rate, we are keeping our eyes open for another discount that we can use next year. :eek:

Smoky

#6 ·
BassBud said:
the XM service was activated by the dealer (not by me). QUOTE]

Mine came with a three-month service, activated by the dealer. I would guess that the dealer notifies XM when they sell a vehicle, in order for XM to start the three-month trial period? I will wait for XM to make the first move and then take it from there.

TL

#7 ·
SmokyMtnRidger said:
BassBud - Great thread.

XM would NOT let us have more than one year at the $77 rate. They said that this was a special, promotional rate and that it was for one year only. :rolleyes:

Also, we bought a second Honda, with XM, at the same time and they would NOT, no matter what, give us the same $77 deal on it. :mad: We got $88 per year on the second car. We haggled for days with them on this. They said that we were getting a multi subscriber discount. :confused: We finally just gave up as the hassle wasn't worth the $11 anymore.

At any rate, we are keeping our eyes open for another discount that we can use next year. :eek:

Smoky

Thanks Smoky!

I guess we just keep at it! Wonder what would happen if we approach them as a "club?"

With several thousand members you'd think that might count for something!!??

Sid

#9 ·
That is a great idea to approach them as a Club! I know that I love my XM, as does my hubby, and I tell everyone about how much I love it. I want XM to do well, but honestly, I am only willing to pay so much for the service.

On a seperate note, I can't get over Sirius paying $500 million over 5 years to Howard Stern! I doubt we would get a $77/year deal with them! That is some high priced .....er, talent(?).

Smoky

#10 ·
SmokyMtnRidger said:
I can't get over Sirius paying $500 million over 5 years to Howard Stern! I doubt we would get a $77/year deal with them! That is some high priced .....er, talent(?).

Smoky
Smoky,

No kidding! I also have Sirius via my wife's vehicle. I have to admit that I do prefer Sirius since it has all of the NFL football games, and NASCAR is moving to Sirius in 2007. However (and I guess I'm in the minority), I detest Howard Stern, and I think what Sirius has done is totally wacko -- They have stooped to a new, scummy low in my book! :eek: And I've told them so (not that they care)! When I renewed my XM subscription, I did tell the agent "Thanks for NOT having Howard Stern on XM."

Anyway....enough of that..... I do enjoy XM and I'm glad we have the $77.00 deal for now!:)

#11 ·
AIBIKR said:
rtraviator said:
If you go to the XM radio website you are supposed to be able to listen online for free if you have an account. . . Those of you who have renewed at the discount rate, does it include free online as well?
Yes, we get the free online. That was one of the things that made the deal worth going for. There are some limitations. It seems to only work with broadband. I can get it on my tower, but not wirelessly on my laptop. I was hoping to use it at work, but I only have dial up there. Some of the stations are not available on the computer, but all the ones I like are.

#12 ·
Hi:
Just wondering, but here in the great white north we could not get XM radio untill last month ( Dec) so when I bought my RTL it did not have the option of XM Radio. I don't know if we can get it as an option yet, anyway....

I do have XM Radio in the form of the Roady 2 and play it through the FM transmitter. I also have an XM radio unit that connects to a XM ready vehicle, I use it to record as MP-3's on the computer

I see by looking at H and D honda's install instructions for the XM radio kit that they give you a 14-pin buss cable, and some type of splitter to go to the XM radio unit under the drivers seat. And from what I have been reading it looks like your XM ready radio's are labled XM/AUX. Mine is just labled AUX.

Does anybody have any idea if I would be able to connect my XM ready unit to the AUX input on my Ridgeline???

Thanks in advance...

ALfer

#13 ·
AIBIKR said:
rtraviator said:
The dealer activated mine as well ( I guess... when I picked it up it was on.) ?
I've read a couple of posts from folks who mentioned thinking their XM was activated but having it go away in a month.

This may sound like a dumb question but do you know it's activated simply because you can receive all the channels?
Is there any way to tell if/when it was activated? Call to XM perhaps?

My RLs XM was "activated" from the first day I test drove it (with 9 miles on it).
This could mean it had been activated prior to that day. Given that, I now have no idea when it will expire.:confused:

#14 · (Edited)
Ours was working from the day we picked up our truck. We just figured three months out from there. They went over a week or ten days before they cut us off.

Don't worry, they will be getting in touch with you. This is a promotion. They want you to subscribe.

How long was it from the time of your test drive to your date of purchase? You should have service from your date of purchase. They give you three months as an owner. It wouldn't make sense to let the period expire if the truck sat on the lot three months (not that that's likely to happen).

We had someone at the dealership go through all the features with us. I can't remember what her job title was, but she's the person I'd turn to for answers to questions of this nature.

#15 ·
Okay so I know it's bad etiquette to reply to your own post but I just had to share this :)
My better half (who is also now part of ROC (Ridge4Me)) saw me posting and asked about my post.
After reading it, she then hands me the brochure from XM (which came with the RL) showing the phone
number to call to activate it.(a nice RTFM I guess :) )

Anyway, if you call XM (1-800-XM-RADIO) and give them your eight digit radio code, they will be able to
tell you the start/end dates of your trial.
I'm all set now (for 3 months) and also learned a couple of lessons:
1) Check the manual first
2) Don't participate on the same forums as your SO :)

Well technically, we did buy it for her :rolleyes:

#16 ·
Thanks BB. I followed your instructions and the call went exactly as you described. Received 1 year for $77. I also asked for additional years at discount, but she said it was a promotion and could not be extended.

Still, the $77 deal is excellent. I thought I'd just drop the service when the free period ran out, but now 'regular' radio seems awful!

#17 ·
BassBud said:
There have been multiple threads on this topic -- How to get the discounted $77.00 annual fee once the 3-month tirial expires. Having sorted through all of the posts, and having just had an easy, successful renewal experience, I thought it might be a good idea to start a fresh thread.

o Situation: My three-month trial expires a month from now (February 2, 2006), and I received the normal renewal notice last week (no discounts mentioned).

o Phone number - This is key! Thanks to Joe (and others), I learned that it's best not to call the renewal number they provide on the renewal notice. Rather, do call: (800) 732-6360.

o What to tell them - I said: "I am a Honda Ridgeline owner and just received my notice that the 3-month free trial period will expire in a few weeks. I'm also a member of the Ridgeline Owners Club, and I understand that you are making available to us a special offer of $77.00 for an annual renewal."

o What they said - The agent said: "That's correct, please hold while I set up your renewal." After a short wait, he confirmed that it was all set and asked if I wanted to pay by credit card or receive a bill in the mail. Taking no chances, I paid by credit card. He then confirmed that my card had been charged for $77.00 and that my renewal period was for one year, from February 3, 2006 to February 2, 2007.

My thanks to everyone for all of the trials and tribulations for getting out the word on this deal. Hopefully, we'll be able to work out someing for future (post 1-year) renewals, too!:D :D
My XM expired almost a month ago. I had received one renewal notice and last night got a phone call. The best the lady offered was $4.99 for the first 3 months, no activation fee and no contract. I declined hoping this offer will soon follow. Instead of waiting I think I'll try these steps. I'll keep you posted. Thanks for the info BassBud. :)

#18 ·
OK, here's my experience.

I called the number posted by BassBud and spoke to Laura. I explained I owned a Ridgeline, my free trial had expired and I had heard from fellow Ridgeline owners on the ROC that there was possibly a $77 deal. She asked if I had received a flyer. I said no. After a pause she told me the only deal was $4.99/mo for three months. I told her no thank you, but asked why some were offered the deal and not all. I had hoped to continue my XM relationship but was not going to. She then said she could honor the $77. I asked, "you just said no, now yes, I'm confused?!" She replied that she wasn't supposed to, but she would. So after being on hold a bit, she said I was all set and gave me three steps to get it reset up since it had expired:

1) Make sure vehicle has clear sky view (i.e. not in garage)
2) Tune to Channel 1 for 20 minutes
3) Check Channel 7, then 175. If can get both channels, unit is all set.

I forgot to ask about an activation fee, but the total charged to my card is $82.01 ($77 + tax). So I'm hoping that means there isn't a fee. If so, my loss.

This afternoon I'll check it out and make sure it's really set up. I hope so, I really like the serice, just not well enough to pay $12.95 + tax!! :eek:

#19 ·
Well...though I am a member of the ROC, I don't provide many comments on a lot of the information that is provided. First of all I love my Ridgeline...best vehicle I have ever owned. I followed the instructions of Bassbud and received the exact same comment on renewing my XM contract..."please hold why I set up your renewal"...what a great reaction.
Sincere thanks to all that have provided so much great information on this site.

#20 ·
Congrats to all who made it through the $77 maze. It's a joy to have uninterrupted tunes again.

Jaiden, you didn't pay the activation fee. It seems like it was about $13.

#21 ·
Well BassBud, all I can say is "Thank you, Thank you, Thank You!!" And thanks to ROC. I had actually called XM this afternoon and given them a credit card number to keep my service going when my 90 days expires(at the regular full price of about $142 for a year). Then I joined the ROC this evening and read your posting for the first time. I had to call the number you provided 3 times until someone finally agreed to give me a year's service for $77.00. Very cool.

#22 ·
Roscoe said:
Well BassBud, all I can say is "Thank you, Thank you, Thank You!!" And thanks to ROC. I had actually called XM this afternoon and given them a credit card number to keep my service going when my 90 days expires(at the regular full price of about $142 for a year). Then I joined the ROC this evening and read your posting for the first time. I had to call the number you provided 3 times until someone finally agreed to give me a year's service for $77.00. Very cool.
Glad it worked out for you and many others:D This is one of the great things about ROC..... we just keep passin' on the good stuff to our fellow ROC-Heads:D

#23 ·
I don't know how to say this without it sounding bad, but your best bet is to call when the "overflow" call center is not going to answer the call. You will know if you have reached the overflow center if you get someone with an indian accent. If this happens to you, DO NOT give them your radio code, and just call back later. For me, the best time was about 1AM central. Please note I have nothing against Indian people. It's just that XM (and many other compaies that outsource) limit their outsource reps to very specific scripts; therefore, you will not get any sort of special deals.

Sadly, my former employer, PayPal, has resorted to outsourcing basic customer service to the Phillipines. The funny part is that you cannot have a PayPal account in the Phillipines.... Hmmmm......

#24 ·
It is 10 minutes to 6 PM here in Fl. Just got off the phone with a XM Rep, at (800) 732-6360. Got the $77 subscription. But the rep. said it wasn't a RL thing but a promo they are running for select new subscribers that ask for it.
It really didn't matter why I got the discount only that I got it.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.