Ridgeline: so easy to break in. [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: Ridgeline: so easy to break in.

MarylandRidge
01-06-2007, 10:56 PM
Today I am an unfortunate victim of theft.

I wasn't suppose to work today but a good friend of mine needed to be off at 11 a.m to attend to important matters. On my day off, WHEN IT WAS 73 deg F outside,I willingly work in her behalf from 11 am-7 pm.Whatever I earned today was not even half of the total cost of all the stuff I lost.

When I entered my Ridge the first thing I noticed was that my VR3 wireless backup camera screen was missing ( the camera itself is still attached to the rear plates). I noticed it right away because I needed to back up to leave the garage.These were the missing items, and all were hidden from plain sight except for the VR3 sitting on the dashboard.

1. VR3 backup camera
2. Magellan 760 GPS
3.Rayban sunglasses
4.Pentax optio Camera ( I just noticed it when I arrived home)
5.$110 cash
6.Passport speed radar
7.Leatherman camping knife
8.Tire pressure gauge
9. Spare celphone
10.Rechargeable flood light/large flashlight

On the police report I filed I wasn't able to include the digital camera, tire pressure gauge, rechargeable floodlight/large flashlight and the leatherman camping knife coz I only found out about it when I arrived home.

The Ridge locks by itself automatically If one forgets to close it. One thing I'm sure I lock it today because I always make it a point to hear the beep sound when I obsesively and compulsively press the remote lock 3x.

Their were no broken windows and no evidence of forced entry per the policeman I talked too, anyone care to guess how those lowlifes got in? Is the ridge that easy to access? If yes then it can be easy to carnap as well.

Four months ago, my wife brought the Ridgeline for a one day conference in PA.She had it valet parked and sure enough on the next day she was handed the keys, the rear passenger window on the right side of the driver was broken, the thief wanted the contents of a cooler which had one Gatorade, a Coke in can and 1-2 bottles of water on it.Bet he was disapponted to find their was no beer because he spilled the ice all over the carpet of the front passenger side.The only good thing that came out of it was that the Hotels insurance paid for the repair and all that items thet were stolen. I guess I'm not as lucky this time.

What is it with the Ridgeline that attracts these lowlifes? A coworker of mine with an 04 Pilot doesnt even bother to remove his pricey GPS from the dashboard and his very expensive Valentine Speed radar. Its been almost three years that we park almost 2-3 cars away from each other.To date his luck is still holding out.

Maybe just maybe, If I had lock those items in the gloved compartment, It would have been spared from theft. Or maybe I could have a broken glove compartment and all those stuff still missing. Ahh well it could have been worse, my baby could have been carnap and everything would be lost.

Sorry for the long rant, I need to let go off steam otherwise I may get a stroke.

Pug
01-06-2007, 11:10 PM
Geeez! That sucks!
Sorry to hear it, MR.
I suppose the garage has no security cams, either? Some do. I'd inquire about the possibility...

Glad to hear YOU are OK! Like you said... it COULD have been worse!

take care,
Pug

CBRidgeJockey
01-06-2007, 11:17 PM
Not sure what you mean that the " Ridge locks by itself if you forget to lock it ".... that only works when you use your key to unlock the doors but fail to open the door to get in within 20 - 30 seconds, thats when it will re-lock and arms the alarm by itself.... other than that, I would say you may have forgotten to lock her up that day... I do that once in awhile because it so routine everyday I get to work, other than that I don't think any thief using a flat bar could break in without setting off the alarm... unless you didn't hear it.:confused: To bad about your stuff though. I find that people who break in to cars do not pick them randomly...they even watch you if you put anything in the trunk...:eek:

Otter68
01-07-2007, 03:35 AM
MR,
So sorry to hear about that! The financial loss is bad, and sometimes feelings or violation and loss of security can be even worse.

However, I'm not really getting the vibe that the Ridge is easy to break into...

John32070
01-07-2007, 04:45 AM
I'm not positive, but if it is broken into with the security system armed, shouldn't the horn sound when you come back and disarm it to let you know something happened while you were gone?

MarylandRidge
01-07-2007, 08:11 AM
No alarm sounded, On 1/6/07 I parked at 11 am then came back to the garage at 7:15 pm.

It's true that the feeling of being violated and ones sense of security is compromise when these things happened.The monetary lost is easy to get over with, but the lingering suspicion of a repeat of such in the future kind of eats one up.:(

Anyway, it could have been worse (I could have a broken window as well) and I still believe in karma.Whatever one covets away from others, will come back to em 10 fold.

Pug
01-07-2007, 08:34 AM
It is true that until something like this happens to you, you don't understand the feeling you are left with. I understand how you feel.
Trying to convey this feeling to others is the problem...

My son ALWAYS leaves his car unlocked. He's never had anything taken from it, and he seems to think that noone will bother it. I tried to tell him that, indeed, bad things DO happen to good people, but he shrugs it off with, "There's nothing THAT valuable in the car."
He doesn't want to "not trust people". He always looks for the best in people.

Sadly, he'll learn someday that what he wants, isn't necessarily the way that it is in reality.

If only everyone thought the way he does... this discussion wouldn't have to be held. :rolleyes:

It's easy to say that "everything is going to be okay, MR"... but the reality of it is... I'd keep an extra-close watch on the RL, especially when parking in a parking garage. There's plenty of statistics showing that public parking garages are the worst places when it comes to security.

Good luck,
Pug

Lingered_I
01-07-2007, 08:41 AM
I can't think of any way that someone could get into your locked truck without leaving some sign of forced entry, unless they have a key or an RF recorder that picked up your signal when you locked it, but even then the truck and key share a rolling algorithm meaning that the next signal cannot be guessed. I have a feeling that you may have left it unlocked. When you returned and naturally unlocked the truck from a little distance you wouldn't know that it was already unlocked. Sorry for you losses. That really sucks. An unlocked truck is no excuse for some lowlife stealing your stuff.

Pug
01-07-2007, 08:54 AM
I'm not positive, but if it is broken into with the security system armed, shouldn't the horn sound when you come back and disarm it to let you know something happened while you were gone?
I'm feeling kinda lazy this morning... don't feel like going out to the Ridge to get the manual...
Is it stated in the manual that there will be some sort of indication by the alarm system that it was "compromised", upon returning to the RL, and opening it up?
My previous vehicle's alarm system would "beep" a coded certain number of times to let me know HOW it was compromised.
Just wondering,
Pug

bongus
01-07-2007, 09:45 AM
Is it stated in the manual that there will be some sort of indication by the alarm system that it was "compromised", upon returning to the RL, and opening it up?
Pug

That would be nice. Unfortunately our RLs do not have this feature. I went a step further and added the Mobile Guardian (http://www.mymobileguardian.com)to my RL. It a neat little gadget that will send you a text message (if your phone has the capability) and an email if your alarm has been activated. Also in the event that your RL has been stolen, you can actually track the vehicle online and inform the correct authorities on its where abouts. If you feel brave enough, you can always chase down the lowlifes yourself. :cool:

Fastang
01-07-2007, 10:00 AM
Sorry about your Rigeline being violated.
I too have been a victim of vehicle breakin... not with the Ridgeline tho.
Nice vehicles attract "lowlifes"
I have notices that if i place my RL keys in my pocket, the buttons can get pushed. I have then returned to find all the windows down.

Without any signs of a break in ?... Hmmm
It may have been best that something went wrong...
would you rather have all yer stuff missing and a broken window or pry bar marks?
Move on and take precautions... thats all you can do.

NKyRidge
01-07-2007, 10:14 AM
wow not good.

Sorry to hear this.

I for sure won't keep cash in my car or pricey mobile GPS.

Its odd that you locked it, i sure hope on the 3 click you didn't hit unlock, but again, the RL would have locked it due to no one opening the door.

just too bad - clueless on how they got in.. ugg.

I feel for you on your second RL break in

Pug
01-07-2007, 10:17 AM
I went a step further and added the Mobile Guardian (http://www.mymobileguardian.com)to my RL. It a neat little gadget that will send you a text message (if your phone has the capability) and an email if your alarm has been activated. Also in the event that your RL has been stolen, you can actually track the vehicle online and inform the correct authorities on its where abouts. If you feel brave enough, you can always chase down the lowlifes yourself. :cool:
Wow! How cool is that!
I didn't know that vehicle tracking had come this far!

I searched the site for the cost of the unit/installation, but came-up empty.
There aren't any dealers in Pennsylvania.
Another thing I don't completely understand is, the "packages" thing... what constitutes a "use" of one of your "trackings", and what happens after they're used-up?
This thing would probably pay for itself if my insurance premium was lowered as a result of using it!
bongus, have you found that to be the case?
TIA,
Pug

bongus
01-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Here are a few answers for you Pug.

The unit can only be purchased and installed by a dealer. It's actually done at the dealer's by one of the Mobile Guardian's authorized installers. The unit itself is yours to keep...meaning it can be uninstalled and reinstalled in a different vehicle if you decide to sell the RL. The price I paid for the unit and installation was $800. There are no monthly service fees unlike other GPS tracking devices. All you pay for are things called "locates". When you buy the unit it comes with 15 free locates. You can purchase the locates as needed. You can get different packages (i.e. 5 for $4.95 and they go as high as 1000 locates for $150). A locate is deducted from your account anytime the unit needs to send a signal about the status of the vehicle. For example, you can set the unit to monitor the speed of the vehicle (i.e. you want to see if your child is following the posted speed limits), each time the set speed is exceeded, a signal is sent from the unit and a message is sent to you -- one locate charged. If you need to find your vehicle because you want to show how cool the system is to your friends -- one locate charged. If the unit has to send you a message because the alarm was activated -- one locate charged. I've had if for two months now and I have used 4 of the free locates. Unless you accidentally trip your alarm everyday, you shouldn't have many issues consuming the locates.
In regards to my insurance, I have not investigated any discounts I might receive with this unit. I guess I'll call them up today to see what's up. My main concern is that someone might steal my RL. I had a car that was stolen and within 4 hours, my car was completely stripped and gutted. If I have the Mobile Guardian, I could have contacted the police and told them my car's location all within minutes of it being stolen. If you need more info on this unit, send me a PM. Hope this helps. :cool:

Pug
01-07-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the reply.
If I had the cash, I'd do this in a heartbeat.
I hear you when you espress your "main concern". Thieves can act very quickly. Sorry you found that out first hand.

From the site:

Insurance Discounts you canít afford to be without

Think a vehicle tracking and recovery system is too expensive for your budget? Think again. Vehicle theft is a costly crimeóin fact it costs U.S. consumers more than $8 billion each year. Because most skilled chop shop operators can surgically strip a car in less than 30 minutes, the sooner stolen vehicles are recovered, the less cost incurred. Thatís why many states now offer substantial discounts for anti-theft, vehicle recovery products. You may be able to lower your insurance by as much as 15 percent with MobileGuardian, which means that your investment pays for itself over time. Your insurance agent can tell you the precise discount you can receive, since percentages may vary by state.

Looks like a good investment.

Raplon
01-07-2007, 11:13 AM
Very sorry to hear this. I had very expensive almost new (10 months old) vehicle stolen 2 years ago while on a trip to Canada. Besides all the inconvenience it just plain sucks. I read somewhere that pro theifs use scanners to unlock cars with rolling code remotes.

bongus
01-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Very sorry to hear this. I had very expensive almost new (10 months old) vehicle stolen 2 years ago while on a trip to Canada. Besides all the inconvenience it just plain sucks. I read somewhere that pro theifs use scanners to unlock cars with rolling code remotes.

That's why a GPS tracking device is even more needed. I truely believe if someone is out to get your car they will at some point. The GPS tracking device gives a good chance at recovery and you may also nab the a-hole that stole it.:cool:

CBRidgeJockey
01-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Did anyone actually read what he typed " THE RIDGE LOCKS AUTOMATICALLY IF ONE FORGETS TO LOCK IT "..... DOES THIS STATEMENT ONLY SOUND STRANGE TO ME ???

John32070
01-07-2007, 02:45 PM
It only locks itself if you unlock it and don't open a door in 30 seconds.

I used to leave things unlocked, but in High School I noticed cigaretts in my ashtray (had an 85 Camaro) that I knew shouldn't be there (I've never smoked), and then I heard something about how some of the kids at lunch were going out and sitting in my car without my knowledge. Then I had two tapes stolen and from then on my stuff gets locked even if just going into a store for just a second.

vpkb
01-07-2007, 04:58 PM
sorry to hear that

i can definitely say that you did not lock her that day

dlg_az
01-07-2007, 05:34 PM
The Ridge locks by itself automatically If one forgets to close it. One thing I'm sure I lock it today because I always make it a point to hear the beep sound when I obsesively and compulsively press the remote lock 3x.

I hate to read stories like this. It makes you feel violated, not to mention mad as hell that someone thinks they're entitled to your stuff. I'm really sorry to hear this.

I did want to comment on your statements above ... the Ridge doesn't lock itself if you forget to lock it. The only time it will lock itself is if you press your remote to unlock and you don't open the doors for 30 seconds or more .. it then autolocks.

On your pressing the remote 3 times ... I only press mine twice - one to arm the security system and a second time to dis-engage the starter (aka pseudo-"engine kill"). What is your 3rd press for? Do you have an extra feature like LoJack? I wanted to get that but couldn't justify the cost.

woodco
01-07-2007, 07:03 PM
Iv'e found that a really, really dark tint will deter some theives, because they cant see what you have left inside.
FYI...Statistics say that 85% of car alarms are never answered by any one!

Vinnie:mad:

Raplon
01-08-2007, 06:42 AM
That's why a GPS tracking device is even more needed. I truely believe if someone is out to get your car they will at some point. The GPS tracking device gives a good chance at recovery and you may also nab the a-hole that stole it.:cool:
My stolen car had the OnStar, which is a GPS tracking system. They were trying to track it for a week and with no results. If the car is parked inside or hasn't been started for a few days (can't remember exactly for how many), GPS is useless.

Pug
01-08-2007, 09:15 AM
My stolen car had the OnStar, which is a GPS tracking system. They were trying to track it for a week and with no results. If the car is parked inside or hasn't been started for a few days (can't remember exactly for how many), GPS is useless.
I believe that the device that bongus has, automatically records the last known position of the vehicle (every 5? seconds), so that if the vehicle enters a garage or encounters an obstruction to the GPS (inclement weather, hillside, alien aircraft, whatever...) it is still able to report this position, as the makers say - within 100feet.

If the vehicle hasn't been started for days, it won't be able to restarted.

The device can be issued a command.Then, when the vehicle's engine is turned-off, it is essentially disabled and cannot be restarted. So there it will sit, unless an "enterprising criminal" had thought to load it onto a flatbed...

I'm not sure if the vehicle's position is reported while it isn't running... maybe bongus knows the answer to this?

Raplon
01-08-2007, 09:47 AM
I believe that the device that bongus has, automatically records the last known position of the vehicle (every 5? seconds), so that if the vehicle enters a garage or encounters an obstruction to the GPS (inclement weather, hillside, alien aircraft, whatever...) it is still able to report this position, as the makers say - within 100feet.

If the vehicle hasn't been started for days, it won't be able to restarted.

The device can be issued a command.Then, when the vehicle's engine is turned-off, it is essentially disabled and cannot be restarted. So there it will sit, unless an "enterprising criminal" had thought to load it onto a flatbed...

I'm not sure if the vehicle's position is reported while it isn't running... maybe bongus knows the answer to this?
This is all great, assuming it works as advertized. For most people it is really hard to prove these claims. Most people don't have their cars stolen. And among unlucky few that have it, some still have their cars recovered. For the rest there are always excuses to be given. This was the case with OnStar as well. All those claims they make in the advertizement. I only fundout most cars are never recovered by them after mine was stolen and I had lengthy conversations on the phone with OnStar. What is more, they stop actively searching for it after 72 or even 48 hours, I belive. Which they never tell you during sign up. I also heard, theives know about GPS tracking, so they park the stolen car somewhere in the open parking lot and watch it. If nobody comes after it in a while, they know there is no GPS tracking and they free to go.

Raplon
01-08-2007, 09:56 AM
And there is no way GPS tracking will prevent braking into your car. What it is good for, probably, is reducing your Insurance Comprehensive premium and possible peace of mind, if you believe in it.

djeaux
01-08-2007, 10:31 AM
Am I the only person who read this thread title incorrectly? When I saw it, I thought, "Yeah, mine was easy to break in, too." I bought it & the next thing I knew I was done with the break in period :D

Fastang
01-08-2007, 10:41 AM
If a theif steals my Ridgeline... I dont want it back.
Stealing for a joy ride... dont want it back
Stealing to strip it... dont want it back.
Pay my deductable and get a new one.
Once the theif has taken his first screwdriver to my truck...
it's not my truck anymore. Actually, as soon as he drives away... it's his.

People who breakin and steal personal effects... are not pro car thieves...
they are homeless, or pranksters, or just lowlifes looking for a quick buck.

I suggest going to the local pawn shops and lookin for your GPS, camera, cell phone... etc... but the cash... lol

Honda4X4
01-08-2007, 11:14 AM
Sorry about your loss. Hopefully they won't target your Ridgeline in the future.
Keep us posted on your progress.

Kepeli
01-08-2007, 11:41 AM
I think you might have left it unlock. Honestly, with those items you left in your RL they were going to get in locked or not.

kermit777
01-08-2007, 11:59 AM
... etc... but the cash... lol
Well, we now know what he kept in the "Not an ashtray", wow, that's a lot of cash to keep in the truck. sorry to hear about your truck/theft! time to get a alarm that makes truck one big tazer so when someone touches it, the truck zaps them.

punch
01-08-2007, 12:56 PM
MarylandRidge, very sorry to hear about your RL. I had a friend, same deal, just because he had a gym bag in the car, some low life smashed his window only to get some work papers...

Now on the topic of detterence... My previous car had an aftermarket alarm, manufacturer was Crime Guard, I believe. It was tuned to prevent falsing, i.e. shock sensor sensitivity could be controlled. The car would arm automatically (lock all doors) after 30 secs when the last door was closed, chirp 3X when the alarm was triggered (1 chirp = arm, 2X = disarm). Anyone on this forum install an aftermarket vehicle security system that has a wiring harness designed for the RL to minimize splicing? Our RLs current security system was designed to keep you from locking your keys in the car (being passive versus automatic).

I do believe the factory vehicle security system that comes with our RL will not sound audibly when armed and a door is opened (forcibly or not) , I think it only immobilizes the car from being driven away. Horn does sound when you arm or hit panic, other than that I don't think the horn works as a deterrent. When able, someone try this:

1. Lower one, some or all of your RL windows.
2. Step out of your car, secure all doors and arm the RL as normal.
3. Unlock one of the doors and open it.

Does your horn go off? Mine doesn't thus the reason for an aftermarket alarm as an add'l detterent, I have forgotten to close a window at one time or another... Additonally, for those that have HomeLink, is the microphone near the buttons a glass sensor?

Also, keeping things out of sight helps too, since smashing a car window only takes seconds if someone really wants something...

CBRidgeJockey
01-08-2007, 01:03 PM
If my windows are down and the system is armed..." YES " the alarm sounds (horns is blarring and lights are flashing ) if someone reaches in and pulls up the door lock button.....:) Punch , you should take your Ridge in for a check cuz your alarm is not working based on what you said.

djeaux
01-08-2007, 01:03 PM
When I was in junior high school, I had a science teacher who had attended Georgia Tech. He told the story (to illustrate what an automotive coil did) about how he ran a paper route to pay for college. Street kids were always messing with his car when he ran into apartment buildings to deliver. So he wired a coil from a spare battery to the body of the car. Touch the car & get an electrifying reminder that it wasn't nice to touch other people's cars. To get in the car, he had an insulated screwdriver also wired to the body so he could ground it to earth, get in & switch the coil off.

How legal was it? I don't even want to know!

(Same guy also had a story involving the complete disassembly of a guy's Model T-bucket roadster & subsequent reassembly in a dorm room... These were engineers, of course!)

bongus
01-08-2007, 03:48 PM
Additonally, for those that have HomeLink, is the microphone near the buttons a glass sensor?

Nope. I believe it is for the mic if you have Navi.

Raplon
01-08-2007, 05:55 PM
Nope. I believe it is for the mic if you have Navi.
Yes, it should be a mic for voice control.

Pug
01-09-2007, 12:30 AM
I do believe the factory vehicle security system that comes with our RL will not sound audibly when armed and a door is opened (forcibly or not) , I think it only immobilizes the car from being driven away. Horn does sound when you arm or hit panic, other than that I don't think the horn works as a deterrent. When able, someone try this:

Does your horn go off? Mine doesn't thus the reason for an aftermarket alarm as an add'l detterent, I have forgotten to close a window at one time or another...

Mine goes off... I made the mistake ONCE of reaching through an open window, unlocking, and opening the door... :o Needless to say... I won't be trying that ever again. :rolleyes:
punch... take CBRidgeJockey's advice and get your RL to a dealer to have it checked-out. If you don't, you may find yourself with an inexplicably "disabled" RL one day. :(

I've included a pic of page 162 of the owner's manual (.pdf). It's the 2006 version. I think the 2006's and 2007's security systems are identical. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. I hope it displays "readable"...

One other thing I'd like to comment on is this, and you'll find it mentioned in the text from page 162... if any door (including the tailgate), the hood, or the trunk aren't fully closed, the alarm won't set. The hood must be checked manually, as there isn't an indicator for it.
Possibly, one of these were ajar, MarylandRidge, and the security system wasn't armed, as you thought it was? :confused:

Oh! And what if... the "perpetrator" got to your truck before the 15sec "arming period" had timed-out?

ChrisM
01-09-2007, 03:43 AM
^^^^^^ You are correct. If the trunk isn't closed or a door is open the alarm will not arm. I always make sure I hear the horn when I arm the alarm. No horn, no arm.... I have left my trunk open a couple of times when I thought it was closed after closing my tonneau cover. Needless to say, the alarm did not arm.

azccj
01-20-2007, 12:57 AM
I’m a COP and can tell you from 10 years of experience that few if any crooks break into vehicles that don’t have anything inside that’s visible for them to steal. Like a wallet, purse, cell phone, laptop, GPS unit or something else of value. Hopefully none of you are like many of the victims/idiots that I have to take reports from after their vehicle has been broken into because they left something valuable sitting on the front seat while their car is parked on the street overnight. It’s all about common sense and if you aint got none, no car alarm system currently made will stop you from becoming a victim. As far as your car being stolen, once again use some common sense. Don’t leave the keys in the cup holder or in the ignition. If someone wants it bad enough they will simply put it on a flat bed trailer but this is rare and if that happens the only system that will help is Lojack or one of those GPS monitors that they now sell.

Here’s a few tips I will offer to keep you from becoming a victim. And don't think because you live in a nice neighborhood that it wont happen to you. Where do you think crooks go to do their crimes, in their crappy part of town or where they know they can find the best stuff?

Don’t leave things in your vehicle that a crook might want or things that look like things they might want. A crook that sees a bag, briefcase or makeup bag that looks like a purse doesn’t know it only contains worthless sales brochures, paperwork or makeup until after he breaks out your window and removes the bag, case or briefcase. And no, he wont be nice enough to place it back into your car after he discovers it's worthless. This is because they usually don’t take a look inside their haul until after they have fled the scene. After they discover that they just committed a felony for nothing of any value they’ll just drop it in the nearest dumpster.

Don’t replace the stock stereo with an after market one. Never once in the past 10 years have I seen a crook steal a stock stereo. But if you do decide to get a nice after market stereo also go ahead and get a nice after market alarm. OEM alarms typically don’t have shock sensors and only go off when the doors, trunk or hood are opened. Crooks know this too, so they simply break out a window and then crawl through the window opening into your car. All the time your OEM alarm is unaware that anything is wrong and neither will you until you go out to your vehicle the next morning. With an after market alarm it should begin sounding off when it detects the glass breaking. At least it should prevent your new stereo from being taken but you’ll still be out a window.

Same thing goes for after market wheels as after market stereos, keep them stock or invest in a good alarm system. I've never once seen a single theft of a stock wheel from a vehicle but I’ve seen a lot of custom wheel thefts in the past few years and it only seems to be getting worse. It may take you or I 15 minutes to change a flat tire but a pair of crooks who steal for a living can remove a shinny set of custom rims in just a few minutes. If they are nice crooks they might leave your vehicle sitting on a new set of jack stands but usually they leave the vehicle sitting on cinder blocks or rocks. And those wheel locks they sell at tire shops are just about useless as the pro crooks will have every available wheel lock set.

If your vehicle is parked outside your garage don’t leave your garage door opener inside your vehicle, especially if it is out in the open, like clipped on the sun visor. Not only will the crook clean out the inside of your car but they might get greedy and decide to take that nice set of golf clubs from your garage as well.

It’s not my intention to come off as some arrogant S.O.B. telling you how to live your life but after about the first 1000 reports that I took, I learned that many folks have little common sense. When we arrive on a scene and listen to the victim's story about how they left a $2000.00 laptop on the back seat of their car while they were inside a movie theater for two hours and now, surprise surprise, it's gone, we usually want to say, "here's your sign and please wear it so everyone will know you‘re an idiot". We are living in a different time then when we were kids and you could leave your stuff sitting in the front yard overnight and not have to worry about whether or not it would be there in the morning. Nowadays more than likely it will be gone. Crooks are opportunist who select their targets based on the reward vs. the risk vs. the difficulty needed to acquire the reward. It is just that simple. If nothing but an easily breakable piece of vehicle glass stands between your nice new GPS unit stuck on the dash and the crook outside your vehicle out in a mall parking lot, how much difficulty does it take for the crook to break the window, reach inside and grab your GPS. Practically none and there will be little risk of getting caught for a reward that is at least worth a hundred bucks, street value. Now put that same GPS unit under a seat or in the glove box after parking at the mall and the plainly visible reward has now been removed and the crook will move onto the next vehicle looking for something of value. Even if he knows your vehicle must have the GPS unit somewhere inside, by placing it under the seat you’ve increased not only the difficulty needed to acquire the GPS but also the risk of getting caught. Now the crook must actually enter the vehicle to search for his reward and possibly of setting off a alarm. I know to most of you this is all common sense but I can tell you that many folks just don’t get it until they are a victim and the lesson becomes what we in the business like to call a self correcting mistake. The real idiots are the ones who continue to leave valubles in plain sight after they are victimized and still don't understand why it keeps happening to them.

Just some things to think about from someone who has seen how crooks make their living by stealing from the rest of us who work for a living. I hope it helps some of you from becoming a victim of a vehicle related theft. :cool:

brandont
01-20-2007, 09:34 AM
Hereís a few tips I will offer to keep you from becoming a victim. And don't think because you live in a nice neighborhood that it wont happen to you. Where do you think crooks go to do their crimes, in their crappy part of town or where they can find the best stuff?

Thanks for the insight! All I can say is you are exactly right! Glad to hear about stock stereos, I have wondered about their theft rate.

Raplon
01-20-2007, 08:58 PM
This is just proved me right about keeping OEM radio and wheels. Go tell your insurance company about your expensive aftermarket additions after they were stolen. They can't care less.

Dragonslayer
01-20-2007, 09:54 PM
Every one of my neighbors have had something stolen from their vehicles. They at first said that their cars were broken into, but when pressed they admit that they thought that they were safe in their drives and had not locked the doors and had left something of value in plain site. I have only had my 64 IH broken into many years ago, they pried the side drivers vent window open and stole a cheapo tool kit and left the good set behind. We have a great trunk that is useful for hiding our valuables in or under the rear seat, out of sight out of mind.

bongus
01-20-2007, 10:00 PM
I agree with you Martin. There are lots of hiding places in the RL. If you leave something in plain view, don't be surprised if something bad happens. :cool:

UglyDuck
01-20-2007, 10:52 PM
One of my co-workers had his car broken into in his garage where he lives. Now he leaves his windows down and doors unlocked.

The theives slashed through his soft top on his brand new Audi convertable, costing him some missed work and deductable - entire replacement of convertable top.

He would rather they just open the door and take what they want now rather than destroy his car trying to get in.

What a shame.

brandont
01-21-2007, 06:13 AM
One of my incidents involved a POS For Probe that I autocrossed. I bought it with a cheapo $80 stereo that was about as basic as you get. Might get them $20. They broke a $900 window (rear, curved, out of production) glass to get in. Makes leaving the car unlocked sound like a fine idea.

Bacpacr
01-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Sorry for your loss. On the 07 models, if you push the key remote 3x the windows will go down for the duration you hold the remote button.I had my ridge about 1 week when I found mind 1/2 inch down after a night of slow rain. Luckily no damage.

extremehikers
01-26-2007, 04:58 PM
I think you just left your doors unlocked unintentionally or windows rolled down. If someone breaks into a ridge, you could easily tell from brute force attack or tampering with the lock mechanism.

UglyDuck
01-26-2007, 06:39 PM
I think perhaps above is correct.

When I come home from work I lock the truck, go inside, put stuff away and come back out - take a california duster to the truck or dry wash her and throw the car cover on. To get the cover out of the trunk I unlock her with one click, I hear her lock back down.

On several occassions I have either leaned against the truck while cleaning or accidentally left the trunk lid open and moved it and darn if my alarm doesn't go off - what a racket.

I inadvertantly did something that rolled all my windows down over night and thought somebody had perhaps triggered them with their own honda remote.... but I have been more careful and have not had a similar incident.

I'm lucky the car cover was on when it happened.

Raplon
01-27-2007, 07:29 AM

Does your horn go off? Mine doesn't thus the reason for an aftermarket alarm as an add'l detterent, I have forgotten to close a window at one time or another...
It Depends on what body trim you have. RTL comes with full alarm. I belive RTS does too. RT and RTX only come with immobilizer. There is an OEM accessory security system available for those trims that don't have it standard.

Ridge
01-27-2007, 10:43 AM
I think the Ridgeline has one of the best security features ever: The in bed trunk. It's out of site, and most don't know it's even there which is the best security. The security at the Bellagio checks everybodies trunk and they just look in my empty bed and wave me through.

3GIRLS
02-03-2007, 12:56 PM
The Ridgelines biggest vulnerability, the rear glass. Any 3 year old with a NErf bat could break that glass.I dont beleive it comes with a glass break sensor. I do like that the trunk locks. My gripes also are that the tailgate doesnt lock and that the Homelink works without keys. I am no stranger to theft. My wife had a stereo stolen out of her civic a few years back along with her niceshades. Any my baby, my Integra was swiped and stripped to the bones once. I hope these people get it by the Karma train and then a karma tree falls on them. Sorry again about your loss. I know it sucks. put a tack strip in teh seats and conceal it. then next tiem someone sits down they get a nice surprise ;) ;)

ChrisM
02-03-2007, 05:08 PM
My Nissan Quest has homelink as well. It doesn't require the key to work either. Most people have garage door openers that I know. It doesnt make a difference to a thief whether he uses his trusty baseball bat to break your car window and open the garage door with a regular ole' remote clipped to the visor or use the homelink. For that matter, the thief could skip a couple of steps and use the bat he was going to use on your car window on the the front window of your house.

RTSrookie
02-05-2007, 02:58 PM
Damn, that sucks.

streetwerkzclothing
02-15-2007, 06:46 PM

1. VR3 backup camera
2. Magellan 760 GPS
3.Rayban sunglasses
5.$110 cash
6.Passport speed radar
8.Tire pressure gauge
9. Spare celphone

:hammer:

you leave that stuff in your car and dont expect a loser to take it? might as well left it outside.

MarylandRidge
02-15-2007, 07:12 PM
you leave that stuff in your car and dont expect a loser to take it? might as well left it outside
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yeah I left those stuff in the car, and my stupidity doesn't give anyone the right to rub it in or lessen the thiefs' guilt.

Read back on my previous post and you may have notice that I make it a point to hide everything from plain view with the exception of the VR3 backup camera screen which is a great inconvenience to hide and placed on the dashboard everytime I get to use it.And hiding at least $100 in my cars became a habit after I was left with my pants down when I approached a tollgate for the very first time 3 years ago and realize they don't accept credit cards.

The only tangible explaination I got was from a mechanic family friend who told me that I may have unlock my cars doors unintentionally when I rammed my set of keys it into my pocket which contained a celfone, wallet, and a work ID.

ChrisM
02-15-2007, 07:35 PM
No one has the right to rub anything in anyones face but it only takes one item left out in the open to attract a thief. Once he's in, he's not going to stop at that one item he spotted through the window. Most people don't have video screens in their cars yet. All a thief is thinking is that a video screen is probably worth at least a couple of rocks of crack. Once he's started he's not stopping until he has all the stuff he needs to support his rock habit for a while.

All we are doing by having one expensive toy in the front seat is to dangle an appetizer in a thief's face. The thief will serve himself from that point on and find the main course on his own. My suggestion, always tint your front windows. I'd rather get a tint ticket than replace my stereo system.

MontanaFred
02-23-2007, 06:00 AM
I saw a picture of this anti-theft device in an email.
It looks like the visual deterrent would be enough:

http://www.scifi.com/newsletter/tracking/track.php3/newsletters/techblog/images/070222.jpg

flymuck
02-23-2007, 10:10 AM
My Honda Insight was recently stolen, stripped, and recovered by LAPD a week later. There was nothing I could've done to prevent it (well, almost...) -- I went to a restaurant and the valets parked my car. They must've left the keys on the car, or in the car -- I believe this because they tandem parked it, blocking another car, and other valet friends of mine tell me that in this case, they leave the keys with the car so they can get the blocked car out easily. The theives drove off with the car, keys and all. The only thing that could've helped me was a tracking device, which of course we didn't have installed, because WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND would steal a Honda Insight???

Anyway, the car was found by the police a week later. The tires and rims had been stolen -- replaced by some crappy ones, at least. The after-market stereo and speakers had been taken, too -- these were really stupid theives, as the stock radio is "worth" $600 in that car, whereas the aftermarket stereo and speakers together cost $250. They took everything from the glove box, including the registration. They started to take the airbags and seats, and gave up for some reason... probably lack of time.

The only thing I could've done to prevent the theft was not valet the car. Believe me, I don't anymore, which is a real pain here in LA.

Moral of the story? There's not a whole lot you can do when your car is stolen *with* the keys, unless you have a tracking device. What we'd really like to have is some combination of things -- a tracking device, plus a configurable fuel shut-off, so when we valet the car, there's only enough fuel for 2 miles. Does such a thing exist?

As for the theft of the personal items from the car, my auto insurance (as well as the snakes who insure the valet, who are claiming to be "not responsible" for the car theft) tell me that your home owner's insurance covers personal items, not your auto insurance. Sounds like a load of BS to me, but this is the game they play. So, we, as consumers, end up having to pay *two* deductibles. Snakes, they're all snakes...

UglyTruckling
02-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Hey, flymuck, nice to see you hanging around here again.

My sympathies about your Insight -- and I have to confess, I had the same thought -- who would steal an Insight? Weird. Maybe the thieves thought it was some sort of custom auto.

3GIRLS
02-23-2007, 08:26 PM
Im so getting that alarm......:cool:

And Insurance is that way, always has been. Car insurance covers cars, hence the name. personal items are not part of the car. Only permanently attached items like rims. IF they dont cover that then they are a crappy company. People always bash insurance companies because the dont know. Some are crooked but you also need to know that the individual state is who allows the rates and rules to be set. The Dept of insurance approves the rates or denies them. I think its good, that way people get the property insurance that they need. Even if you dont own a home, get renters. Crazy not to.

My 2 cents.

gormleyflyer2002
02-23-2007, 10:30 PM
so sorry to hear.

on a good note, i locked my keys in my truck once and had to call CAA/AAA.

They showed up with all their fancy tools and even instructions on "HOW TO" and still couldnt get into my RL. He tried every trick he new and them gave up and drove me to a dealer to get a key cut..

I was pissed but in a way a little happier knowing that it wasnt exactly grade 7 theft protections.

Although, they used a brick to steal the stero out of my last truck.

familyman
02-26-2007, 05:35 PM
If a theif steals my Ridgeline... I dont want it back.
Stealing for a joy ride... dont want it back
Stealing to strip it... dont want it back.
Pay my deductable and get a new one.
Once the theif has taken his first screwdriver to my truck...
it's not my truck anymore. Actually, as soon as he drives away... it's his.

People who breakin and steal personal effects... are not pro car thieves...
they are homeless, or pranksters, or just lowlifes looking for a quick buck.

I suggest going to the local pawn shops and lookin for your GPS, camera, cell phone... etc... but the cash... lol

FYI: Most people feel the same way you do about not wanting your compramised vehicle back. The fact is that your insurance company get's to decide what will happen to your vehicle if it is stolen. You will pay your dedectible regardless of weather they decide to have the car repaired and returned to you or agree to total it. The latter situation is the only way you will be getting a replacement vehicle should the car become stolen...

Bilbert
02-27-2007, 08:52 AM
I had the same thing happen to my wifes RL last weekend (broke in, no sign of entry, stole a few things, no damage)

I assumed that I had left the door unlocked after bringing in some groceries and shoveling snow. However, when I talked to my neighboor who has a TL the same thing had happened to her.

So, chances that we both left our doors unlocked were unlikely. The only thing that I could come up with are....

1.) The RF transmitter recording (its been done in our neighboorhood before)
2.) The tennis ball trick as seen on YOUTube (I have not tested this out)

For more information on 2.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQCA3-m-ZlA

The tennis ball thing seems illogical to me... however, the RF thing scares me.

I think they were after the Valet Key. Cuz there was really nothing of value visible in the car.

What are your thoughts, anyone care to try the tennis ball bit on their RL?

devinridgeline
02-27-2007, 12:54 PM
check youtube you can open a car with a tennis ball using air presure worked on neighbors accord and ford escape did not work on my ridgeline, 04 tahoe or 86 vw cabriolet

SeminoleRob
03-02-2007, 12:41 AM
Sorry to hear about the breakin. Someone back in 97 broke into my 89 prelude and took most of the stereo and what they couldn't get, they destroyed (clarion stereo was not coming out, so they took a screwdriver to it). Ironically, they didn't get my amp that was bolted under the rear deck.

I had only lived at this apartment complex a week. I moved out when my lease was over.

They had pulled out the window and reached in and unlocked the car. I loved that car. 89 Prelude SI with the 4 wheel steering.

CJames
03-11-2007, 07:33 PM
it's super simple to open a vehicle without leaving a trase.
Maybe I shouldn't say this but I'm not the only one that knows this.
Use a Tenis Ball with a hole in it.
You put the ball over the door lock and squeez the ball.
The air pressure pops the lock without a trase.
Be glad they don't use a sparkplug like they do here.
Go ahead and give this a try BUT try not to steel your neighburs car.

Jersey Jim
04-05-2007, 04:19 PM
MR,

Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Someone sees a nice truck then decides it belongs to him and he can do whatever he wants to hit. Real SoB!

When I bought mine I had Lo-jack installed. This is my first expensive car so I just got it for peace of mind...dont know if it will work or not.

Best of luck.

wjr1004
04-06-2007, 11:15 AM
Has anyone else heard of issue with RL Security?

mugen1
04-06-2007, 08:54 PM
Has anyone opened their RL using the tennis ball trick?

If it is true, I guess I better do what I did on my previous Civic. I shaved the door locks. My Civic was a 2 door, so I searched the auto wreckers for rear handles of a 4 door. Fit perfectly.

I hope the rear handles match the front ones on the RL. No keyhole, no tennis ball trick.

oldcoastie
04-07-2007, 09:36 AM
With an electronic locking system? OK, but wouldn't the alarm (if equipped) still activate when the door is opened?

CBRidgeJockey
04-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Okay...another freakin urban legend. I always wonder why people just jump on the band wagon and says this tennis ball trick works. :rolleyes: okay, I forgot the second one... recording the RF frequency on your key....you can't record something that is RF ...DUUUUHHH....that one is even better.

Jersey Jim
04-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Ok Sorry but I have to ask....What's the tennis ball thing all about?

CBRidgeJockey
04-07-2007, 05:03 PM
Go to page 7 and see Bilbert's post. He has the link to utube on how to use a tennis ball to get into your locked door.....:)

Pug
04-07-2007, 05:12 PM
Go to page 7 and see Bilbert's post. He has the link to utube on how to use a tennis ball to get into your locked door.....:)

Yeah... if you're at the park, or you see some guys throwing a tennis ball around your RL, or a guy with a tennis ball and a dog... demand to see if the tennis ball has a hole in it.

Then run away as fast as you can, 'cause they'll probably hit you in the head with it, or sic the dog on ya! :p

Urban legends die slow, hard deaths... :rolleyes:

Jersey Jim
04-07-2007, 09:10 PM
That's sick and scary. I'm gonna have to try that and soon.

rgt2
04-10-2007, 01:59 PM
I did not look at every single post of this thread so don't know if anyone mentioned it before. I seem to remember when I first got my ridgeline that when locking the doors with the remote, if a single door was not shut tightly, none of the doors would lock and there was no warning of this. I am at work right now and can't test.

CBRidgeJockey
04-10-2007, 04:46 PM
that is absolutely correct. You will not know its locked unless you check to see if your park lights are flashing or the audible horn beep by hitting the button twice....:D

Me2
04-16-2007, 09:21 AM
it's super simple to open a vehicle without leaving a trase.
Maybe I shouldn't say this but I'm not the only one that knows this.
Use a Tenis Ball with a hole in it.
You put the ball over the door lock and squeez the ball.
The air pressure pops the lock without a trase.
Be glad they don't use a sparkplug like they do here.
Go ahead and give this a try BUT try not to steel your neighburs car.

And how, might I ask, does one build air pressure in a system that is not sealed? The laws of physics can't be broken.

TBone55
05-21-2007, 09:29 AM
That would be nice. Unfortunately our RLs do not have this feature. I went a step further and added the Mobile Guardian (http://www.mymobileguardian.com)to my RL. It a neat little gadget that will send you a text message (if your phone has the capability) and an email if your alarm has been activated. Also in the event that your RL has been stolen, you can actually track the vehicle online and inform the correct authorities on its where abouts. If you feel brave enough, you can always chase down the lowlifes yourself. :cool:

So I checked the MobileGuardian site and there is no dealer in Michigan. I really like the system and would like to add it to my truck. Any ideas?

rdharper
03-05-2008, 02:19 PM
accji;

How effective is Lojack (I just had mine intalled this morning)?

In addition to your common sense "rules", we also park in sight of cameras (such as Walmarts which are visible if you look for them). Sometimes it makes sense to park a bit further out where your vehicle can be seen by others. Not next to a large truck for instance which makes it easier for a thief to operate unobserved.

As you say, nothing is a guarantee, but these tips improve your odds... statistically speaking.

Oh, and a K9 doesn't hurt a bit. My Great Dane is as gentle as a dog can get, but his size is intimidating. A smart shepherd is tough to beat.

Jersey Jim
03-05-2008, 05:53 PM
accji;

How effective is Lojack (I just had mine intalled this morning)?

In addition to your common sense "rules", we also park in sight of cameras (such as Walmarts which are visible if you look for them). Sometimes it makes sense to park a bit further out where your vehicle can be seen by others. Not next to a large truck for instance which makes it easier for a thief to operate unobserved.

As you say, nothing is a guarantee, but these tips improve your odds... statistically speaking.

Oh, and a K9 doesn't hurt a bit. My Great Dane is as gentle as a dog can get, but his size is intimidating. A smart shepherd is tough to beat.

I had LoJack installed when I purchased my Ridge. I hope I never find out how effective it is.

Tcape
03-06-2008, 06:44 PM
I just realized today that if ANY door is not closed completely, the RL will NOT lock the doors. I walked away today thinking I was locking my '08 RL, and I pressed the "lock" button three or four times expecting to hear the horn sound. No sound. When I walked back to the RL, I realized I hadn't closed the back door. If ANY door is not closed completely, the RL will NOT lock all the doors. If in doubt when locking the doors, press the 'lock' button twice. If the horn doesn't sound, the doors are NOT locked. I really hate the sound of the horn going off to show me the doors are locked, but it's a very safe way to know your vehicle is locked.
Tom

rdharper
03-06-2008, 07:21 PM
I just realized today that if ANY door is not closed completely, the RL will NOT lock the doors. I walked away today thinking I was locking my '08 RL, and I pressed the "lock" button three or four times expecting to hear the horn sound. No sound. When I walked back to the RL, I realized I hadn't closed the back door. If ANY door is not closed completely, the RL will NOT lock all the doors. If in doubt when locking the doors, press the 'lock' button twice. If the horn doesn't sound, the doors are NOT locked. I really hate the sound of the horn going off to show me the doors are locked, but it's a very safe way to know your vehicle is locked.
Tom

If the dang thing gits any smarter... I can stay home.

How about a "rollup the windows" switch on the remote... which is overridden if you have a kid or a dog on any seat and the temperature is about 60degrees... unless you are in a high crime area, or its an emergency.

Eh? :D

Altamont
03-06-2008, 08:14 PM
that little feature that prevents the doors from locking is annoying.

I live in a pretty nice area and a couple months ago a would be thief threw a very large rock thru the window of my unmarked police car at 4:30 am, which was in front of my house. I heard a noise, and opened the porch door to look out side, seeing nothing (the alarm didn't go off). the next morning, I noticed the broken window (made me late for the airport) and saw the console was standing open, with two loaded Glock 22 mags right on top. scenario: the "dude" broke in, probably got in and saw the magazines, the radio and the emergency light about the time he heard my door open. I hope that bastard ran thru the blackberry vines in my woods when he got away, thinking he was going to take an M-4 round in the head at any moment.

anything you don't want to lose lock in the glove box or keep a "flight" bag with your GPS, camera, etc to take inside when you park.

BruceRTL
03-07-2008, 07:14 AM
I hope that bastard ran thru the blackberry vines in my woods when he got away

I like the way you think...

soultrain
03-07-2008, 08:15 AM

I wasn't suppose to work today but a good friend of mine needed to be off at 11 a.m to attend to important matters. On my day off, WHEN IT WAS 73 deg F outside,I willingly work in her behalf from 11 am-7 pm.Whatever I earned today was not even half of the total cost of all the stuff I lost.

When I entered my Ridge the first thing I noticed was that my VR3 wireless backup camera screen was missing ( the camera itself is still attached to the rear plates). I noticed it right away because I needed to back up to leave the garage.These were the missing items, and all were hidden from plain sight except for the VR3 sitting on the dashboard.

1. VR3 backup camera
2. Magellan 760 GPS
3.Rayban sunglasses
5.$110 cash
6.Passport speed radar
8.Tire pressure gauge
9. Spare celphone

On the police report I filed I wasn't able to include the digital camera, tire pressure gauge, rechargeable floodlight/large flashlight and the leatherman camping knife coz I only found out about it when I arrived home.

Their were no broken windows and no evidence of forced entry per the policeman I talked too, anyone care to guess how those lowlifes got in? Is the ridge that easy to access? If yes then it can be easy to carnap as well.

Four months ago, my wife brought the Ridgeline for a one day conference in PA.She had it valet parked and sure enough on the next day she was handed the keys, the rear passenger window on the right side of the driver was broken, the thief wanted the contents of a cooler which had one Gatorade, a Coke in can and 1-2 bottles of water on it.Bet he was disapponted to find their was no beer because he spilled the ice all over the carpet of the front passenger side.The only good thing that came out of it was that the Hotels insurance paid for the repair and all that items thet were stolen. I guess I'm not as lucky this time.

What is it with the Ridgeline that attracts these lowlifes? A coworker of mine with an 04 Pilot doesnt even bother to remove his pricey GPS from the dashboard and his very expensive Valentine Speed radar. Its been almost three years that we park almost 2-3 cars away from each other.To date his luck is still holding out.

Maybe just maybe, If I had lock those items in the gloved compartment, It would have been spared from theft. Or maybe I could have a broken glove compartment and all those stuff still missing. Ahh well it could have been worse, my baby could have been carnap and everything would be lost.

Sorry for the long rant, I need to let go off steam otherwise I may get a stroke.

To begin the Ridgeline does not lock itself automatically unless you unlock the door with the key fob and do not open the door..
Another thing is you left a virtual supermarket of stuff in your truck, a mistake I also made at a sonics game in Seattle a few weeks ago which coincedently cost me over $700..
SO DON'T LEAVE **** IN YOUR CAR! I know I won't anymore.

Anyway I feel your pain man but it will get better and you will forget about it. Besides, what comes around goes around. The ******* that did it will get his.

Altamont
03-17-2008, 08:47 PM
I like the way Soultrain thinks. it's true you know. when my son was about 12 we were bike riding and a pit bull lunged at him and was hanging off his armpit, as he threw his arm across his face as it jumped up at him. unluckily, I came up just as the owner got him off my son. the owner started paying closer attention when I called 911 and ID'd myself by call sign. still he lied, and concealed the fact the dog had attacked others by changing the dog's name, saving the critter from being put down. a couple months later, this guy was in his apt when someone kicked his door in to collect money owed, so he dove out the back window. he already had his pistol in his hand and apparently shot himself in the head as he burst thru the window, Lethal Weapon style. it does come back around, sooner or later.