Towing with your Ridgeline? [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: Towing with your Ridgeline?

Evil Sports
04-12-2007, 06:25 PM
I have a fairly heavy 2800 lbs 18 foot FourWinns boat. Will the Ridgeline be strained towing it.

fredridge
04-12-2007, 06:26 PM
I have a fairly heavy 18 foot FourWinns boat. Will the Ridgeline be strained towing it.

How much is fairly heavy?

Evil Sports
04-12-2007, 06:35 PM
2800lbs:D :D

fredridge
04-12-2007, 06:38 PM
I am not towing with my RL, but based on numerous other posts here, you should not have any problems with that amount of weight. Others will chime in

but, there is a search button on the blue bar, use that and type in towing and you will get plenty of info.

Evil Sports
04-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Did the search and not much came up about actually towing with it. If you see a good thread please post the link here

UP N MTNS
04-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Did the search and not much came up about actually towing with it. If you see a good thread please post the link here

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12327&highlight=towing+pics

mrlizzzard
04-12-2007, 07:37 PM
2800# is ok.The Ridge will tow it but begrudgingly I felt.I pulled 4000# a long ways and got just arounfd 10 mpg.I am now driving a Silverado.It has a trip computer and says I'm around 16mpg pulling and 20-22mpg without.

25 Year Honda Owner
04-12-2007, 07:45 PM
The only towing I have done is a 2,000# compact tractor with FEL. Using a
16' single axle trailer. I did not even know I was towing!:)

Kodiak
04-12-2007, 08:10 PM
2800# is ok.The Ridge will tow it but begrudgingly I felt.I pulled 4000# a long ways and got just arounfd 10 mpg.I am now driving a Silverado.It has a trip computer and says I'm around 16mpg pulling and 20-22mpg without.

I have to call you out on this. I recently spent some time in a 2007 Avalanche. The best FE I could pull off was 17mpg. The cylinder deactivation never engaged unless you were decelerating. I tried multiple speeds all the way down to 55 mph and never got it engaged. Around town I was lucky to see the high side of 13mpg (not towing). Granted this is the Avalanche and not the Silverado - but they are the same engine and drive train and the Avalanche is more aerodynamic than the Silverado. I have never towed any distance with the 2007 Avalanche. The 07 Avalanche is much more stable towing than the previous generation which was a hand full. (Almost as good as a Ridgeline for stability:D .)

I towed a 5000 pound trailer 4000 miles with a Ridgeline. I averaged around 11 mpg pulling that trailer. The trailer drives the fuel economy due to the huge impact on the aero drag load. Driving on level ground at 65-70mph the fuel economy is the same in a Ridgeline towing the same trailer as it is in a V8 pu based on back-to-back comparisons. Remember to use premium while towing with this level of load in a Ridgeline.

The biggest difference between the a conventional pu and the Ridgeline is the fuel tank capacity. The range is better on the larger trucks. Getting 11 mpg makes for frequent fueling opportunities.

As for the hwy fuel economy in the Ridgeline, I consistently get 21-22 mpg in the summer. Of course it is less in the winter due to the fuel and air density impact. Many others have expressed a range of fuel economy which varies due to trip length, driving style and environmental impacts (as well as engine break-in).

Kodiak
04-12-2007, 08:12 PM
By the way, as trailers go - boat trailers are relatively aerodynamic. They are much easier to pull than a box trailer. You will probably experience better fuel economy than what others have reported. I would expect ~13-14mpg with that size boat.

qlake
04-12-2007, 08:37 PM
I pulled a 5000# box trailer 1500 miles and there was enough power but not enough gas stations, I got 6 to 8 MPG.

Evil Sports
04-12-2007, 09:15 PM
Has there been any indication of plans for a V8 Ridgeline

csimo
04-13-2007, 09:34 AM
Has there been any indication of plans for a V8 Ridgeline

It's my understanding that there is no V-8 in the Ridgeline's future (at least out to 2011).

We may see a V-6 diesel long before a V-8 gasoline engine.

kwoodman
04-13-2007, 04:49 PM
I pulled a 5000# box trailer 1500 miles and there was enough power but not enough gas stations, I got 6 to 8 MPG.

Pulled my box trailer today for the first time. I isn't 5000#, but it is high and catches a lot of wind.
I noticed that when I was going 60mph, the motor was revving at 3k but when I was going 70 mph, it was at 2k. If I could get it to 70 and avoid slowing down often, my mileage seemed ok, but if I had to slow and accelerate often, it sucked.

Divotfixer
04-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Posted previously elsewhere, but I recently pulled a 20' Reinell (est 3000 - 3200 lbs) with no issues. Had to do some emergency braking also and it was controlled and smooth. Have pulled same boat with a Pilot and the feel behind the Ridge was much better.

94 Accord EX F250 owner
04-17-2007, 08:06 PM
Just came back from a few days of camping and towing. I brought along a dry weight 3,300 lb Coleman Bayside camping trailer, a wife, two children, dog and another several hundred pounds of gear and food for a few days. Wild guess would be 4,000 lbs towing/hauling and the family is additional weight.

Traveled a lot of steep hills and valleys traveling from the Lynchburg VA area to Watoga State Park in West VA for those who know it. Also made a quick run to the Radio Astronomy facility about 60 miles round trip without trailer, and covered part of the distance back before filling up. In 288 miles I made about 14.49 mpg. I don't consider this bad at all. I used to own a Ford Super Duty Diesel and it made about the same fuel mileage. While the Ford was much stronger (3xx? HP, and ~625 torque) and felt more stable, it gets down the question of whether it is the right niche vehicle for all my uses considering cost.

Was I easy on the Ridgeline? Yes. I tried to keep it under 3,000 rpm, thought there were a few times in the 3,500 rpm range. I allways controlled engine speed by foot and did not put on speed control at any point.

billmoon
05-28-2007, 02:39 PM
I just finished a 1400 mile tow, my first real distance tow with any truck. I towed a Passport 255BH travel trailer with a dry weight of 4280 lbs and a length of about 28'. My Ridgeline had about 8700 when we started out, and now are just over 10K miles.

The 3.5 VTEC handled the weight with no trouble at all. Acceleration and uphill power were just fine. I used a Reese weight distribution hitch with friction sway control. Handling was outstanding - AFTER - I got the hitch and sway control adjusted optimally. I found that too much tension on the hitch or too tight on the sway control made for a very sloppy, bouncy and jerky ride. Even with over 4000 pounds behind us, I often forgot we were towing, until the gas light came on.

Gas mileage was depressing. I had a best of 10.24 and a worst of 8.35 mpg. Most frustrating was the VERY LIMITED RANGE. We found ourselves often taking the time to fuel up well before empty after a couple of very close calls near empty. I realize now this mileage with that type of trailer is about what I should expect. Keeping the speed/rpms lower did make a difference. I figured out quickly wind resistance and the terrain made the biggest impact on cruising speed.

If anyone has had a good experience in improving towing mileage, please let me know! I am considering putting on the leer or ARE canopy. I noticed with the rear window open at 70 mph, it was still blowing INTO the cab, off of the trailer face, so I am hoping the canopy will help push the air up over and not as much against the face fo the trailer.

We will have photos to post soon.

This is my first post to the ROC, it's been a great resource and has helped me tremendously in my research and understanding of my new Ridgeline.

Divotfixer
05-29-2007, 10:29 AM
This is my first post to the ROC, it's been a great resource and has helped me tremendously in my research and understanding of my new Ridgeline.

Welcome aboard, Billmoon! I agree with the towing range, but as it turns out the range of the Ridgeline is still futher than the average driving range of my wife or children without a "nature break".

When I was kid, my pop had one of those air deflector deals on top of the truck cab (like a big spoiler). Sometimes still see them on semi's. Wonder if that would get the air up enough?? Let us know if you have luck with the cap...

jeepwatchman
05-29-2007, 10:40 AM
I guess with the V6 and some of the loads everyone is talking about, 10 mpg would be about average. It is a V6 and had to work somewhat harder to keep the load moving.

I have a Jeep on a 16ft flatbed trailer that I tow, haven't towed with the RL yet, but I did tow it with my 94 3/4 ton diesel Suburban, and the best it would get was about 10mpg here in the Rockies at altitude.

I am expecting about the same gas mileage with the RL when I do tow with it. Just have to watch for the gas stations I guess.:D

canucksridge
05-30-2007, 05:40 AM
I'm towing a 17 foot Legend Vnose trailer back and forth to Canada from SC all the time. I had the Leer cap installed and did notice better fuel econo right away:D

I've driven the truck 35,000km in the last year and monitor my fuel consumption all the time. With the truck cap I'm getting an extra 80 km per tank:confused:

Hope this helps,
P

gpiskur
05-30-2007, 11:41 AM
You should be fine. I just towed over the weekend a 16' dual axel trailer with 104 2x6x16 boards and 70 1/2 OSB at the same time. The OSB itself was probably 2200+lbs. That was a bit overboard for this truck, but it's nice to know you can do it in a pinch.

A couple weeks ago, I pulled a 10' dump trailer with 4 yards of mulch...didn't even know it was back there.

fire730
05-30-2007, 12:23 PM
So I guess it is safe to say that if I do decide to buy a Ridgeline it should have no real problem towing my Integra on a trailer for 200 mi round trips once or twice a month, right?

shovelhd
05-30-2007, 01:55 PM
I've towed over 4,000 pounds twice with no issues. You won't believe how well the truck tows a trailer.

MusicCityRidgeline
05-30-2007, 03:22 PM
I tow a bit bigger boat than your 18 footer though the hills of TN and have no problems at all. It's great on the ramp.

Cargo
05-30-2007, 08:10 PM
Not heavy but here is all my toys up in the Smokies a couple of weekends ago.

MoeD
05-30-2007, 10:07 PM
An 18 foot boat will be no problem for the Ridge. I tow a 23 foot boat with mine and have had no issues. You should be well under the 5000 lb limit. Go for it!

tallman
06-02-2007, 07:03 PM
It'll be fine. i towed 4800 lbs across the us from arizona to georgia. pulled it great. Have fun!!!

cjr2
06-02-2007, 08:15 PM
I tow a 1,800 lb trailer with a 3,100 Vet ZO6 every weekend in the summer with no problems. Gas mileage suffers but a Prius wont handle the load!:p
Make sure you have the proper brake setup for the trailer.

tailpipe
07-03-2007, 01:11 PM
For that weight, very stable with good power, bottom line...

herman
07-19-2007, 07:31 PM
I recently bought a 2007 ridgeline, I tow a 20 foot 8 feet 6 inches beam and the weight of the boat is 3600lbs and 2 axle trailer so the combined weight is 5300 lbs with fuel I've pulled it 5 times 300 km each way and no hesitation obviously you can feel it behind you but the tounge weight is only 150lbs, the first time I towed it I set the cruise at 100kph and used a 1/2 tank of fuel the second time coming home I set the cruise at 85kph and less then a quarter tank so the milage is pretty good as far as I'm concerned, also my fuel milage went way up after towing a couple of times, when I use the truck with out the boat so far very impressed, the rpm gauge stayed around 1800 and downshifted very little while I was towing, but here it Ontario Canada it's pretty flat..