Where did the A/C go ? [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: Where did the A/C go ?

bmcgjax
06-30-2005, 10:01 AM
I pull out of the driveway and get half way down the block and realize my A/C is blowing warm air.

After two weeks and 400 miles (and owning 5 other hondas at some point) I am stunned.......

Yes I did check all of buttons and tried multiple settings (like my smart aleck service advisor suggested).

Has anyone heard of this issue?

06 RTL Black

captmiddy
06-30-2005, 10:24 AM
I haven't noticed this problem before. I have noticed that it will blow warmish air when the temp reaches the level you set the auto to but if you dial this all the way to low it will always blow cold air. It certainly seems something isn't right. If you can't get AC when you turn it all the way back to low and the AC is listed in the LCD then there is something wrong and you shoud go to the dealership to get it looked at.

Tex's Ridge
06-30-2005, 10:42 AM
Sounds like the AC compressor clutch is not engaging. Definitely something wrong.

arteegee
06-30-2005, 11:24 AM
Had this happen on a trip in a Chrysler 300 recently. Turned off AC for a few miles and it worked after a rest. Chalked it up as a computer/sensor glitch and haven't seen it since. :rolleyes:

jeffiam
06-30-2005, 11:35 AM
ya know, i could have sworn i thought my a/c when warmish for a few seconds in the LO position. thought this happened a couple of times but wasn't/ am not sure.

Delrio
06-30-2005, 03:44 PM
I think I know where you are coming from when you mentioned all the other Hondas you have owned. My old Accord and my Daughter's Civic will both part your hair on high and put frost on the winsdshield.... ;)

The "Silver Bullet" doesn't have the same blast but does get it done even here in Phoenix. :cool:

shingles
06-30-2005, 04:13 PM
check all the fuses, make sure none of the AC related ones are blown.

csimo
06-30-2005, 07:27 PM
Check the A/C condensor (in front of the radiator) for damage. Both the Honda Odyssey and Ridgeline have a serious flaw when it comes to protecting the condensor. I've read many reports of people with new Odyssey's having hundreds of dollars of repairs due to small rocks and pebbles hitting the condensor. The Ridgeline sits a little higher but seriously lacks protection.

Why Honda left the condensor completely open in places is beyond my understanding. I've never seen vehicles so subject to easy damage.

Take a look... just a matter of luck if yours doesn't get hit.

arteegee
06-30-2005, 07:31 PM
How do I protect it? :confused:

csimo
06-30-2005, 07:34 PM
How do I protect it? :confused:

For the Odyssey crowd there are several aftermarket devices designed to fix what Honda forgot.

I've already seen someone here on ROC make some mods to help with this problem.

Hopefully the aftermarket will come to our rescue if this becomes the problem that I suspect.

arteegee
06-30-2005, 07:38 PM
Thanks for the heads up. Screen in the grille or something underneath the front?

jeffiam
07-01-2005, 07:29 AM
Check the A/C condensor (in front of the radiator) for damage. Both the Honda Odyssey and Ridgeline have a serious flaw when it comes to protecting the condensor. I've read many reports of people with new Odyssey's having hundreds of dollars of repairs due to small rocks and pebbles hitting the condensor. The Ridgeline sits a little higher but seriously lacks protection.

GOOD POINT.......OUR 04 ACCORD WAS TAKEN IN DUE TO WARM AIR.....TURNS OUT CONDENSOR WAS DAMAGED....HAD A HOLE IN IT. ROCK OR SOMETHING............FORTUNATELY, ADVISOR GOT HONDA TO DO UNDER WARRANTY AS A COURTESY REPAIR. WOULD HAVE ABOUT 450 OTHERWISE.

oridgenL
07-01-2005, 10:04 AM
I just want to tell what happened to me and I know its a simple thing but you never know. I was having the same sort of thing going on as bmcgjax, usually I am going down the road alone when trying to figure these things out. My wife was along one day when I thought I had turned the a/c on, fact is I glanced down and could see a/c on the dial but it was blowing warm air. What I did not see and my wife could when she looked closer was the word OFF over on the far right side. I pushed the a/c button again and the word ON appeared next to a/c and right away things started to cool down. So thats my story for what its worth

bmcgjax
07-05-2005, 12:59 PM
Thanks for all of the feedback !

The dealer flushed the AC system and recharged it.

They let it run for an hour and drove for 20 miles and had no issues. I put 200 miles on it since and she is blowing cold again !!!!

I will keep my fingers crossed that this truly was a fluke.

Thanks again ! :cool:

paul
07-05-2005, 03:38 PM
I have noticed that if the outside tempature is below the temp you set; the ac doesn't blow cold maybee it is taking in outside air instead of operating the compressor.

captmiddy
07-05-2005, 04:07 PM
I have noticed that if the outside tempature is below the temp you set; the ac doesn't blow cold maybee it is taking in outside air instead of operating the compressor.
Remember this is a temperature control system, it will both cool and heat you. So if the outside temp is below what you set, it will actually blow warm air to try to even the temperature to what you wanted. There isn't the concept of a summer and winter setup.

utvnut
07-05-2005, 09:29 PM
Sorry I did not post, my A/C DIED last week. Warm air, no cooling, etc.

Day one in shop for 3 hours, found defective lower line to or from something, order parts, drive 4 days without a/c, repair takes 4 hours, now works fine again.

According to technician, it was a factory defect and slow leak.

Ridge Man
07-05-2005, 10:47 PM
Sorry to say there is not one vehicle manufactor in the world that offers front end protection for the coolers (they sell parts parts and labour) "Been there done that" Big bucks. Seems they left this major component to the after market. So we have the same old game pay now or pay later,your pick. Cloud Rider was 1st out of the gate for front end protection for the Ridge and there is others that offer the simular so do your research. PS: No way do I have any connection with Cloud Rider but have used their product for years with satisfaction.
www.cloud-rider.comCheck the A/C condensor (in front of the radiator) for damage. Both the Honda Odyssey and Ridgeline have a serious flaw when it comes to protecting the condensor. I've read many reports of people with new Odyssey's having hundreds of dollars of repairs due to small rocks and pebbles hitting the condensor. The Ridgeline sits a little higher but seriously lacks protection.

GOOD POINT.......OUR 04 ACCORD WAS TAKEN IN DUE TO WARM AIR.....TURNS OUT CONDENSOR WAS DAMAGED....HAD A HOLE IN IT. ROCK OR SOMETHING............FORTUNATELY, ADVISOR GOT HONDA TO DO UNDER WARRANTY AS A COURTESY REPAIR. WOULD HAVE ABOUT 450 OTHERWISE.