Hard to turn [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: Hard to turn

craig53
03-23-2008, 09:11 AM
We recently purchased a 2008 Ridgeline. My wife is a small person and she complains that it is difficult for her to turn the steering wheel especially when at a stop or very slow speed.
Anything that can be done to make it a little easier for the wife?

shovelhd
03-23-2008, 09:14 AM
Trade it for a Honda Fit. :)

Buy her a membership at Bally's and some time with Igor :)

Seriously, it may be that her driving position is not optimal. Have her play with the power seat and steering wheel tilt until she's more on top of the wheel. This should increase the leverage.

I've found the Ridgeline steering effort to be just right for me, and I'm no Igor. :)

jMoMo
03-23-2008, 04:46 PM
We recently purchased a 2008 Ridgeline. My wife is a small person and she complains that it is difficult for her to turn the steering wheel especially when at a stop or very slow speed.

I agree that the steering is a bit tough to turn on the Ridgeline. However, there is probably nothing that can be done about it.

breakfastchef
03-23-2008, 05:56 PM
It is always easier to turn a vehicle while it is in motion. Make sure whe is not trying to turn the whiil with the truck at a dead stop.

ChrisM
03-23-2008, 05:58 PM
It's kinda wierd this topic came up today. I was just thinking about how easy it is to turn my Ridgeline. I can turn it from lock to lock while sitting still with one finger. (Really) Maybe there is something wrong with your truck.

mugen1
03-23-2008, 06:48 PM
It's kinda wierd this topic came up today. I was just thinking about how easy it is to turn my Ridgeline. I can turn it from lock to lock while sitting still with one finger. (Really) Maybe there is something wrong with your truck.

There must be something wrong with the steering, because the steering on my RL is quite easy. Not as easy as my wife's MPV, though.

I like the way the RL steers as it is just right. Too easy is not a good thing. My daily driver is an 84 Accord and it has no power steering - good workout.

I suggest the OP go back to the dealer with his wife and try another RL to compare with.

ToyTruck
03-23-2008, 06:48 PM
Add air -- try 34 pounds.

xridgelinex
03-23-2008, 07:15 PM

Welcome to the ROC... Maybe some weights for exercise... My wife is also dainty but doesn't have this problem... Check the tire pressure and maybe adjust the steering wheel height to a lower position...

djeaux
03-23-2008, 07:39 PM
What vehicle is your wife accustomed to driving? The Ridgeline steers pretty easy for a truck, but it does have a better "feel" than some domestic pickups which have really "loose" power steering.

If she's used to driving a smaller car, the truck will feel harder at first. (My wife's Odyssey mini-van has about the same steering firmness as the Ridgeline...)