Wind Noise Tape? [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: Wind Noise Tape?

shamrockshooter
04-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Ok so i brought my new 08 Ridge to the stealership a few weeks ago for the very loud wind noise from my windshield. They said they taped the window seems, and it did not get any quieter, so therefore there is nothing wrong.

Well lets just say I had my radio on volume 12 on the way in this morning and I could still hear the wind howling over the radio.

I would like to do my own tape analysis to see if maybe the stealership was just taking the easy way out b/c they didn't feel like fixing it. What tape should I use, and how wide should it be? I have 2 inch wide painters (blue) tape?

codda
04-14-2008, 07:38 AM
Just tape the actual seams. The gap between the rubber molding and the truck body. Try taping the seams at the rear garnish as well. Both the strip across and the two sides. Do them independently to identify which one it may actually be.
I have the same thing as you. I did the tape deal and didn't really notice a difference. Because the truck runs otherwise perfectly I've decided to live with it rather than have the guys at the dealership tear the truck apart and just "hunt" for the noise.... Dropped it off twice because I wasn't sure if it was actually wind noise. It hasn't changed in 3 months so I now believe it is... Good luck.

shamrockshooter
04-14-2008, 08:14 AM
I am not expecting it to change, but for my own peace of mind, I must do it. If i tape it, and it stays the same, then I can learn to live with the annoyance an otherwise perfect truck. My neighbor has an 06 Ridge, i thought about taking a ride in his to compare.

MikeT
04-14-2008, 08:21 AM
...I am not expecting it to change, but for my own peace of mind, I must do it. If i tape it, and it stays the same, then I can learn to live with the annoyance an otherwise perfect truck...

Taping the rear third break light valance is a greta idea. Several members have found this to be the cause of their wind noise complaints. To cure this particular issue; new anchor tabs and grommets need to be installed (They need to be replaced each and every time the valance is removed from the truck).

xd9x19
04-14-2008, 08:58 AM
I am not expecting it to change, but for my own peace of mind, I must do it. If i tape it, and it stays the same, then I can learn to live with the annoyance an otherwise perfect truck. My neighbor has an 06 Ridge, i thought about taking a ride in his to compare.
shamrockshooter, I had to get my windshield replaced due to some damage some months ago. With the original windshield, I had no discernible wind noise, or at least none that I recall.

However, when they put in the new one, I noticed shortly thereafter that at about 40mph and above I had wind noise that I didn't think was there previously. I took some of the blue painter's tape and taped over the rubber molding on both sides and at the top. Voila! Noise gone. Then removed them one at a time to see where the noise might be originating. Ended up being along the top. I haven't bothered to call the installer yet about it, because I almost always have the radio on and can't hear it over the radio. I do eventually plan to get them to redo the molding along the top, however.

shamrockshooter
04-14-2008, 11:08 AM
the blue painters tape didn't leave any residue? That is what i plan on using.

thxs.

shamrockshooter
04-14-2008, 11:09 AM
Taping the rear third break light valance is a greta idea. Several members have found this to be the cause of their wind noise complaints. To cure this particular issue; new anchor tabs and grommets need to be installed (They need to be replaced each and every time the valance is removed from the truck).

i should have my leer cap installed by next weekend, so if it is the 3rd brake light, it will be covered up after the install.

BillB
04-14-2008, 11:28 AM
However, when they put in the new one, I noticed shortly thereafter that at about 40mph and above I had wind noise that I didn't think was there previously. I took some of the blue painter's tape and taped over the rubber molding on both sides and at the top. Voila! Noise gone. Then removed them one at a time to see where the noise might be originating. Ended up being along the top. I haven't bothered to call the installer yet about it, because I almost always have the radio on and can't hear it over the radio. I do eventually plan to get them to redo the molding along the top, however.

The molding is one piece and surrounds the glass on both sides of the window. The entire window needs to be removed and a new molding installed to attempt what you are looking to do. My advice is to instruct the installer to measure the center point of the molding and the center top of the windshield and match those points before placing the windshield and molding back into the caulked frame opening. Then to start at the top and work pushing the molding had against the metal frame from this center top point and work in botrh directions towards the lower bottoms of the windshield. The key is to get the molding to fit snug in the top 2 corners and as tight all along as possible against the frame. This is not easy to do and the installer must have patience and a desire to do the right job for you. On my original RL, I had the windshield replaced twice until it met the above specifications and even then, there was noise to be heard but not the whistling/humming that was before, just normal RL louder than most wind noise that will never go away completely. I have said these things before and others quickly point out they have no noise in their RL and I will never believe that and they will never believe me, so make your own judgement.

xd9x19
04-14-2008, 11:44 AM
the blue painters tape didn't leave any residue? That is what i plan on using.

thxs.
No, it came off cleanly. I only had it on there for less than a day.

Mdbullet223
04-14-2008, 04:34 PM
shamrockshooter, I had to get my windshield replaced due to some damage some months ago. With the original windshield, I had no discernible wind noise, or at least none that I recall.

XD9X19, When you had the windshield replaced, did you use factory honda glass or aftermarket? The reason I ask is when I had my Honda Element I had some windshild noise but when it was replaced when a rock shattered it I went to my local glass guy and they installed a aftermarket windshield called FYG. After they installed that I never had any noise again. Dave

shamrockshooter
04-15-2008, 08:01 PM
I think it is funny that the 09 Pilot is advertised with an "Acoustic" double thick windshield to reduce windnoise. I wonder if this will show up on the 09 ridge?

shamrockshooter
04-16-2008, 07:39 AM
OK so i taped the hell out of the windshield last night, and it made absolutely zero difference. Is there anything else it could be? I know many have said rear brake light, but it definitely sounds like it is coming from the windshield. I guess until I ride in another ridge, it will be hard to tell if mine is normal or not.

I find it funny that i just got an email survey from Honda on any problems i have had so far. Number 3 on the list for you to check off was Excessive Windshield noise. LOL...

BillB
04-29-2008, 02:21 PM
I think it is funny that the 09 Pilot is advertised with an "Acoustic" double thick windshield to reduce windnoise. I wonder if this will show up on the 09 ridge?

Unless they change the design of the rubber trim strip and alter the angle of the windshield, they can make the glass a foot thick and the windshield noise will not go away completely.

rakapur
04-29-2008, 03:54 PM
i dont know what you should do but yeah there is something really wrong with that, the wind was going crazy today and i had the radio at about 8 and it was just blasting i couldnt hear anything but the music (mostly the bass)

GPK
04-10-2009, 07:42 AM
i know it sounds silly that front windshield noise could come from the back 3rd tail light garnish but it is true. had a problem with mine popping up and when it did i immediately had wind noise at the windshield. maybe the garnish is lifting slightly on yours?? i am waiting for a complete replacement kit of pins grommets etc for the garnish as it seems to be a problem that tech at Honda Canada recognizes. My first garnish blew off and it had never been removed before. something is up here honda.

davedad
04-10-2009, 07:51 AM
OK so i taped the hell out of the windshield last night, and it made absolutely zero difference. Is there anything else it could be? I know many have said rear brake light, but it definitely sounds like it is coming from the windshield. I guess until I ride in another ridge, it will be hard to tell if mine is normal or not.

I find it funny that i just got an email survey from Honda on any problems i have had so far. Number 3 on the list for you to check off was Excessive Windshield noise. LOL...
The wind noise on mine sounds like it's coming from the windshield area also, especially after I had my windshield replaced, I also taped the hell out of it, top bottom sides t no avail, it's nice out today so I'll try taping up the rear valance and see if it makes any difference. I'll report back as to what I find.

Geoff
04-14-2009, 05:50 AM
Had my windshield replaced 5 times in a month. First was a stress crack along the bottom all the way across. All the other installs were to get rid of wind noise. This last time 2 guys worked on it for over 4 hours and by appearence it looked like a quality install, but alass, the wind noise persists. They used Honda moulding and took great care in placing & setting the assembly in place. Taping the windshield & rear brake did nothing, I will just turn the radio up...:(

davedad
04-14-2009, 06:40 PM
Taped up all around the windshield again, taped around the third reaklight valance, even taped around the front doors (climbed in thru the back seat) and the wind noise still persist, as long as there are no water leaks, I guess I'll learn to live with the wind.

shamrockshooter
04-16-2009, 12:07 PM
Even though tapping it made no difference on mine, i still find it odd that the wind noise sounds louder when you sit in the passenger seat than the driver seat. Also, when i go through the car wash and the super air jets fire up to dry the ridge off, it sounds like air is leaking in at the upper passenger side of the windshield.