Original Equipment Tires [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: Original Equipment Tires

blue line
06-25-2008, 09:37 AM
Wow, only 50000 kms on my Michelines and they need to be replaced. Any one else or is this a result of my bad driving habits?

BruceRTL
06-25-2008, 09:41 AM
Well with only 31,068 miles - that doesn't sound to good. What kind of "bad" driving habits do you have?

VoicesInMyHead
06-25-2008, 10:14 AM
There have been numerous posts about the life of the OEM tire. I had an extreme case myself. In my opinion, the tire itself provides awesome performance, :) but the life of them SUCKS! :mad: I went with Yokohama myself, but do a forum search and you'll find your not the only one.

CUinaRidge
06-25-2008, 10:36 AM
See......

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/tires-wheels/18889-how-many-miles-your-oem-tires-till-replacement.html?highlight=miles+OEM+tires

The OEM tires were specifically designed and engineered for the RL. After my test ride, demonstrating the capabilities of the tires (with a 1000 lbs loaded bed) the OEM's have proven to be a VERY worthy tire.

I would like to see any other competitors tires try to compare to the OEM,s on the coarse like they had set up at the meet. I doubt they would stand up to the over 3 hours of abuse the OEM's went through!!

:)

Florida-Steve
06-25-2008, 03:11 PM
My OEM's also wore out by 50,000 miles.
I replaced them with the Yokohama Geolander HT-S's 275-60-17

Smokin Ace
06-25-2008, 04:13 PM
Smoke Shows tend to wear tires out FYI :D I know I have owned a few Trans Am's in my life. :rolleyes: :eek: Those were $200+ a tire for ones that would last more then 6 months. (went through a lot of used tires to save money)

northernlights
06-25-2008, 04:30 PM
The OEM tires were specifically designed and engineered for the RL.

You mean their was never a Micheline LTX M/S before the Ridge came out? I could have sworn I've seen them on some early model Chevy Avalanches and some other trucks and SUV's. Their are other tires out their that rate better than the LTX. Did Micheline actually go out of their way to specifically design a tire for the Honda Ridgeline? I've heard of this before but its hard to believe.

schwejo
06-25-2008, 04:33 PM
Northern lights, Was just about to post the same... so who knows the specifics?

Hi, I have read a few times that the OEM Michelin LTX M/S was specifically designed for the Ridgeline, and I believe that is the case, but what does that mean considering the same or similar tire (by model) can be purchased all over the place. Different belts, numbers of belts, sidewalls, other constriction? And does this mean that you could really only get an identical replacement from your dealer? By consumer model name this tire has been around longer than the Ridgeline.

About 4 years ago after reading practically every review I could find on this tire, I purchased it for my previous truck. I just quickly scanned through ~1100 reviews of this tire on the Tirerack site, and in comparison, it’s still hard to beat (and CostCo had a coupon, which a local seller beat). Of course you can trade away any qualities you like in favor of others that better suit your needs, but in my opinion after having owned two sets to be an outstanding tire.

25 Year Honda Owner
06-25-2008, 04:57 PM
See......

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/tires-wheels/18889-how-many-miles-your-oem-tires-till-replacement.html?highlight=miles+OEM+tires

The OEM tires were specifically designed and engineered for the RL. After my test ride, demonstrating the capabilities of the tires (with a 1000 lbs loaded bed) the OEM's have proven to be a VERY worthy tire.

I would like to see any other competitors tires try to compare to the OEM,s on the coarse like they had set up at the meet. I doubt they would stand up to the over 3 hours of abuse the OEM's went through!!

:)

What Carl said!! Honda does a great job in selecting tires for their vehicles. The OEM on the RL is excellent!! I did nothing with the tires on my 06 for the 3 years I owned it, pressure check a couple of times. Intend to do the same with the 08!

oldguy
06-25-2008, 06:22 PM
Went through inspection on my 06 RTL @ 50,000 miles. The tires passed so
I'm good togo for 55k miles, I will probably replace with Bridgestones, WHY,
$625 with 4 wheel allignment Plus a 10% reduction in this price for being a Morganton Honda NC Preferred Customer. Hay, I have let them service my RTl every 5k miles since I bought it. I'm always getting coupons
of either a 10% reduction in service a a flat rate $29.50 for a 19 point inspection plus oil change and tire rotation.

25 Year Honda Owner
06-25-2008, 07:25 PM
Went through inspection on my 06 RTL @ 50,000 miles. The tires passed so
I'm good togo for 55k miles, I will probably replace with Bridgestones, WHY,
$625 with 4 wheel allignment Plus a 10% reduction in this price for being a Morganton Honda NC Preferred Customer. Hay, I have let them service my RTl every 5k miles since I bought it. I'm always getting coupons
of either a 10% reduction in service a a flat rate $29.50 for a 19 point inspection plus oil change and tire rotation.

Sounds like a plan to me!! Us old guys have got it figured out!! Thinking about a Blue Ridge trip the week after the 4th, you going to be around!!

livefaith
06-25-2008, 07:27 PM
I don't understand what's happening with the low mileage on the Michelins. I have told about a dozen people how great mine were and bought a 2nd set exactly the same. I've never done that in my life.

Mine went to over 70,000 miles and still were right above the treadwear markers. I don't do extended driving on gravel or rough surfaces. But, I towed 5,000#+ for over 35,000 of that with excessive tongue weight, went off roading on several occasions and have about 800' of gravel driveway at my home in GA. (You know what Foxworthy says ... If the direx to your home include "turn off the paved road then you might be a redneck! :-/)

I paid a premium for another identical set and they seem to be the same. 30,000mi and hardly any sign of wear. Cold it be that my towing is mainly Interstate at 65pmh?

Are tires of the same type made at different locations?

wrenrj1
06-25-2008, 08:02 PM
Only 9500 miles on my Michelins. Rotation measurements were 11 mm on back and 10 mm on front IIRC. I had LTX/AT's on my Ranger as part of the famous recall that went 55K before I traded (and three nails in one tire).

IMHO if you get 50k out of an OEM tire your'e doing great. My TITAN in between the Ranger and the RL had Goodyear Wrangler's that looked 3/4 worn at 20k. On the TITANtalk website based on comments, their tires rarely lasted 30-35k.

I'll buy these tires again if they last 50k.

shovelhd
06-25-2008, 08:37 PM
I got 45K out of my first set of tires and there was 50% tread left on all four. I sold them as full sized spares to ROC members. I then bought a second set of OEM wheels and tires with 2K miles on them from a ROC member. They are currently at 15K and still look new. The net cost was about $100 for an almost new set of OEM tires.

I plan on doing the same thing again when it hits 100K.

MontanaFred
06-25-2008, 08:56 PM
I drive six miles of gravely roads every day and all my other tires would only last about 35,000 miles. When I would ask why they didn't last for as many miles as they were supposed to, I was told sharp rocks and sand will shorten the life of a tire. HOWEVER, my tires on my Ridgeline are at 55,000 and still going strong and I drive over those same six miles of sharp rocks and sand every day.

I'm thinking about replacing them with another set just like the originals.

UOVB
06-25-2008, 09:13 PM
Wow, only 50000 kms on my Michelines and they need to be replaced. Any one else or is this a result of my bad driving habits?

that's only 20 round trips to a fro from Hog Town. That's only 1/2 of the Leafs home games, 1/4 of the Jays games. I wonder if it's got anything to do with awe-full bumpy roads between Timmins and North Bay? Although I hear the mine put in a new road and that stretch is smoo-uuuu-oth.

mugen1
06-26-2008, 01:01 AM

I just went past the 50, 000 kilometre mark recently on my RL and the tires still look good. Didn't measure the tread depth, but they looked about 50% worn. For the first half of those kilometres, the tire didn't seem to wear at all. Only recently has the tread started to wear noticeably. I'm quite impressed by the stock tires.

roakey
06-27-2008, 05:52 PM
I did nothing with the tires on my 06 for the 3 years I owned it, pressure check a couple of times. Intend to do the same with the 08!
Sounds like an expensive solution to buying a new set of tires... :)

Roak

Ahab
06-28-2008, 08:26 AM
Mine have seen gravel roads and are at 50k, probably get another 10k. This is the best I've ever got on a SUV/truck. I'll stick with them.:)

mugen1
06-29-2008, 07:46 PM
A kilometre is shorter than a mile, so it's actually 31000 miles, give or take.

Now that is not normal. Even for a Canadian Ridgeline.:D

BillB
06-29-2008, 08:21 PM
The OEM tires were specifically designed and engineered for the RL.

I chose these exact same tires after a thorough review of available light truck tires for my F150 back in 1999. It would have been kiind of tough if they were designed for the Ridgeline. I have to admit, they have been great tires for me for almost 10 years now. About 75,000 miles on the F150 (2 sets) and 50,000 miles on my 2 Rls (first one had 45000 miles and new RL has 5000). I never try to get more than 50,000 on a set of tires and I drive my trucks hard with lots of stop and go driving that wears tires down much more than highway miles.

Outfitter
06-30-2008, 02:57 PM
38 months, 56,000 miles, rotated twice and still had at least 20,000 miles of tread life left when I traded the 2006 in.
They were the 1st tire I have owned in recent history that handled all the rocks and thorns at the ranch without ever suffering a cut or puncture.
Now, if I have not jinxed myself, I am hoping for a repeat performance on the 2008's.