Rotten Gas Mileage [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: Rotten Gas Mileage

Biscuit
08-05-2008, 04:34 PM
Just filled up and checked my mileage. 13 mpg for the last 4 tanks. Before that I took it to my Honda Dealer and got the 30K mile checkup (approx. $500) before that I was getting 17 mpg in town and going to the same gas stations. I have been watching the acceleration and drive very slow. Honda Dealer says it's the ETOH but I have been filling up at no ETOH sites. No warning lights come on, just crappy MPG. :( Yeah it's hot in Oklahoma but not 5 mpg hot...any suggestions or experiences....bought this car/truck for good use but this is taking all the fun out of it. Your comments and help would be appreciated.:)
Thank you,
John

MikeT
08-05-2008, 04:41 PM
Possibly over tightned valves? Check engine air filter, transmission oil level (When hot only, should be between the holes on the dipstick), oil level, and tire pressures.

larryr
08-05-2008, 04:42 PM
All gas in North Texas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Oklahoma is 10% Ethanol (and 28 other states are 100% with at least 10% ethanol) - it sucks and causes about a 10 to 15% loss of mileage. The Politicians we elected work for the oil companys and they do not care whether or not we get good gas mileage and have to pay more for food so that corn that was used to feed cows now causes our gas mileage to go down.

Also in playing with my oil changes and fluid changes - you gas mileage will go down by a lot if they put too much oil or automatic transmission fluid in you ridgeline. Two tents of a quart in the Automatic transmission causes a 10% drop in mileage. A half of quart of oil does the same thing. ( as measured by a scangauge II).

Also tire pressure less than 35 lbs causes poor city gas mileage.

Biscuit
08-05-2008, 05:46 PM
Possibly over tightned valves? Check engine air filter, transmission oil level (When hot only, should be between the holes on the dipstick), oil level, and tire pressures.

Thanks for the reply, makes sense especially when Honda always relies on their only reply "does any warning lights come on? if not we don't know how we can help you. I will definitely use your input. Thanks again. :)

Biscuit
08-05-2008, 05:53 PM
All gas in North Texas, Missouri, Arkansas, and Oklahoma is 10% Ethanol (and 28 other states are 100% with at least 10% ethanol) - it sucks and causes about a 10 to 15% loss of mileage. The Politicians we elected work for the oil companys and they do not care whether or not we get good gas mileage and have to pay more for food so that corn that was used to feed cows now causes our gas mileage to go down.

Also in playing with my oil changes and fluid changes - you gas mileage will go down by a lot if they put too much oil or automatic transmission fluid in you ridgeline. Two tents of a quart in the Automatic transmission causes a 10% drop in mileage. A half of quart of oil does the same thing. ( as measured by a scangauge II).

Thanks to your comments, I will definitely pass it on to my Honda dealer.
Also read several threads about Auto A/C and effects. Will also check it to it. Also read that too much A/C freon can cause problems making the compressor run excessively.

Biscuit
08-05-2008, 05:59 PM

Your reply makes sense, but can't understand why "NO Ethanol" stickers on the pump have no meaning, this definitely breaks the law but as you point out the fox is guarding the henhouse. I am very disappointed in the situation and it also affects lawnmowers, outboard motors, etc.:mad:

larryr
08-05-2008, 06:36 PM
Prior to October of 2007 gas stations has to display if they used ethanol. Congress changed the law so that anything less than 18% can be considers 100% gasoline. Since 1984, gas stations did not have to buy gasoline from the supplier that they advertise. Your Exxon station could be selling BP, or Chevron, or Murphy, or Conoco. Most stations buy on the spot market meaning whichever gas distributor is lower at the moment is who they buy their fuel from.

I watched the local gas truck pickup at the fuel depot and deliver to Walmart, Shell, Conoco and BP. Like they really can do different brands in a truck that has 4 separate tank.

As for small engines - ethanol causes any varnish to move into areas of the engine that do not want varnish - like needle valves and floats.

Supposedly all engines built since 1994 have the right seals so that 10% alcohol (ethanol is alcohol) does not dissolve them. Most seals still cannot take 85% ethanol (the flex fuel do have the better seals). pre 1994 engines might have corrosion issues in the cylinders but adding fuel extenders like sta-bil will keep that from happening.

RidgeLI
08-06-2008, 06:15 AM
Sounds right. I average approx. 13mpg local miles, 5 miles each way, twice a day, with some hills. I am at 16k miles. I did notice that I just got 14.3 mpg on the last tank, and will check after this one if my mileage improves again as the engine is probably well broken in by now.

RidgeLI

BillB
08-06-2008, 11:54 AM
If you took your RL in for a "30,000" mile service, the first comment I would make is that you probably are not familiar with how important the Maintenance Minder System is and you are letting your dealer service your vehicle the way they service all others without the MM system. That in itself will not cause your mileage to have gone down, but I will take a guess that you also let them set the tire pressure in your truck and that it is likely now set lower than it was before you made this service appointment. I have found that the tire pressure and use of A/C are the 2 most potent variables affecting a normal use style of Ridgeline driving. If you tow, or haul maximum loads in the bed/cabin, then these become the 2 most important variables. The Michelin tires are by factory specs supposed to be run at 32 lbs (door sticker says so). However, if you run between 33 and 35, your mpg will improve and most have found this still a safe pressure range to run at and not cause significant loss of life to the tires.