I got to ride in a Lamborghini! [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: I got to ride in a Lamborghini!

Ruffles
09-21-2005, 01:04 PM
Wow! There's not much else I can say. Wow again! :eek: . I found out last week that a friend of a friend is very rich and one of the many exotic cars he owns is a 2005 Lamborghini Gallardo. Lamborghini's have always been my dream cars since childhood and while I've seen a few, I've never sat in one let alone gone for a ride. Since I'm moving to Idaho (where Lambos will probably be pretty rare) he arranged for his friend to take me for a spin.

It's hard to describe in words what it was like. His car was modified (who mods a Lamborghini?!) to over 600 horsepower and rides 3" lower. It's by far the most powerful, most expensive, lowest, and smallest car I've ever been in. The rush when he floored it pinned you in your seat at first but just got stronger and stronger as we reached 5000 rpm where it just exploded with power. He shifted to the next gear and the pull again was insane! Then 3rd. Then 4th. Each gear pulls so hard your mind keeps telling you it's not possible yet your experiencing it. Every gear pulls as hard as 1st. We never got any higher than 4th because we were already at 90mph in a 35 zone. The speed happens instantly yet you don't feel like your going that fast. I would have sworn we were below 50. It was rush hour in Redmond WA so traffic prevented us from finding a place to really open it up.

The ride quality was very tight and sort of harsh. Here again, it's hard to describe. It felt like the firm ride of the Ridgeline times 100 but not in a bad way. It just felt very connected to the road. I could feel ever bump / joint in the road. The car is extremely nimble and quick. The steering seems instant with no body roll whatsoever. It's kind of a point n shoot sort of thing. You turn the wheel, hit the gas and it just goes. Because the car was lowered, speed bumps were a huge problem. We had to take them at an angle. The chassis is so stiff and the suspension so firm that we got it teetered going over a speed bump and spun the front and rear wheel a bit while they were off the ground.

The sound of the V10 engine was incredible! When you let off the gas, you hear a loud swoosh sound behind you. It sounded like a turbo blow off valve but the engine is normally aspirated so I asked what it was. He said it was just the sound of the air going through the intakes on the sides right behind the doors. The engine is very loud and while the note is deep, it's a very different sound than that of a V8 in a Corvette for example. It sounds...Italian. The engine revs effortlessly to over 8000 rpm and it sound beautiful doing it! The car had a stereo but we never turned it on :).

Now, for the best part :) . The fit and finish in our Ridgelines is worlds better! Of course, it's stupid to compare the two but I was a little surprised. It's obvious that the $250000 goes into engine / transmission / suspension / and brakes. The knobs, ashtray, etc. are relatively cheap. When you close the doors, you don't get the nice, solid clunk of the Ridgline (probably because the doors are carbon fiber and aluminum but that's beside the point). The purpose of this car is to go very, very fast and it does that very well. It's not meant to be comfortable, quiet, or smooth. All these little quirks give it personality. You have to have the right personality to match it. This is NOT the car for you if your an introvert! This car WILL get you noticed! It was strange having everyone stare and point at us. It's funny as now that I've got my brand new Ridgeline, I've looked around to see if anyone notices it but no one ever does. With the Lambo, people practically go off the road looking at it.

The overall experience was amazing. If you ever get a chance to ride in a super exotic like this, do it. It's just so strange how different the car is than what I'm used to. If you try to think about it logically, it just doesn't make any sense. It's loud, expensive, hard to see out of, rides harsh, has poor fit and finish, virtually no trunk space, hard to keep tuned, etc. and the list goes on yet after you get done driving it, you can't wipe the smile off your face :D .

basils
09-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Ruffles,
Better be careful driving in Redmond like that. I live in Kent, so I know how terrible traffic is in your area.
Sounds like a fantastic vehicle. I would love to have had the opportunity do do what you did. I'll bet the engine sound was really beautiful!
When I used to have my own business, one of my clients was a guy called Anthony Ray. His stage name is "Sir Mixalot"...you know, the rapper guy best known for his "Big Butt" video?! Anyway, he had a Ferrari (blue, never saw one that color before), a Lamborghini (yellow and it looked scary fast), Mercedes, and various other fancy rides. I never did get a ride from the guy, but I sure loved his Ferrari and would have spazzed-out if I could have gone around the block just once!!

ridgeln
09-21-2005, 06:20 PM
Yet another reason to come to Marysville, OH - Honda (to worship at the doorstep of the R&D folks who designed the RL) and Nelson Auto Group - home of the USA's largest Lamborghini Dealership (or so I've been told - I have no actual proof to back that up).

Nelson Auto Group (http://www.nelsonautogroup.com/lamborghini.htm)

I used to own a Dodge Cummins 2500 and when I took it to Nelson for service, my boys would love to go look at the Lamborghini's in the show room - made me VERY nervous!

-ridgeln