Dried Bird Poop -- HELP!! [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: Dried Bird Poop -- HELP!!

swampler
09-29-2005, 04:33 PM
Does anyone know how to get dried bird poop off a vehicle? I'd been lazy and only washing in the touchless car wash for some time, then when I hand washed tonight, I found some bird poop on my roof that I hadn't seen before. It was dried hard as a brick and won't come off.

I tried bug and tar remover without any luck. Any ideas what will get it off?

Thanks.

NotaChevy
09-29-2005, 05:13 PM
A very warm very soaked towel laid on top of it for 15-20 minutes should dissolve it if it hasn't absorbed to much petroleum product from the bug and tar remover.Does anyone know how to get dried bird poop off a vehicle? I'd been lazy and only washing in the touchless car wash for some time, then when I hand washed tonight, I found some bird poop on my roof that I hadn't seen before. It was dried hard as a brick and won't come off.

I tried bug and tar remover without any luck. Any ideas what will get it off?

Thanks.

Spritegeezer
09-29-2005, 05:20 PM
I think I figured out why you see birds pecking at the sidewalk. They eat concrete! Then they poop it on my truck!

swampler
09-29-2005, 07:01 PM
I think I figured out why you see birds pecking at the sidewalk. They eat concrete! Then they poop it on my truck!
Ha! Apparantly mine as well.

Ultra-HOG
09-29-2005, 07:25 PM
I agree with NotaChevy. That stuff can leave a mark. You probably should polish and wax the roof after you get it off. If the poop didn't eat through the wax and into the clearcoat the tar and bug remover at least removed any wax that you had in the area.

swampler
09-29-2005, 07:43 PM
Well, the warm, soaked towel didn't do a thing for it. Any other ideas? I'll have to work on it more tomorrow or over the weekend.

I definately plan on re-waxing the roof after I get this stuff off.

TheRidgester
09-29-2005, 09:20 PM
Well, the warm, soaked towel didn't do a thing for it. Any other ideas? I'll have to work on it more tomorrow or over the weekend.

I definitely plan on re-waxing the roof after I get this stuff off.

I waited to long on another vehicle and even after professional buffing, had left a permanent mark. Come to find out, when the birds eat berries, the acid remains in the waste.. hence acid etch into ones paint! I always get them off the minute I see em!
Good luck with this

Tex's Ridge
09-29-2005, 10:15 PM
I waited to long on another vehicle and even after professional buffing, had left a permanent mark. Come to find out, when the birds eat berries, the acid remains in the waste.. hence acid etch into ones paint! I always get them off the minute I see em!
Good luck with this

If you still have chunks left on the paint, scrape it off with a plastic scraper, then clean the pain with tar and bug remove, clean with alcohol, and polish the area well. :)

swampler
09-30-2005, 06:28 AM
If you still have chunks left on the paint, scrape it off with a plastic scraper, then clean the pain with tar and bug remove, clean with alcohol, and polish the area well. :)Won't that scratch the paint?

Ultra-HOG
09-30-2005, 07:20 AM
Oh boy, that bird must have been eating the Bondo and epoxy that was holding a Ford Explorer together. Next step is what Tex said. You might try to soak it overnight with WD-40.

If neither of those work, try one of these.
http://www.ditchwitch.com/dwcom/uploads/Product/Images/pli_10578.jpg

steveberger
09-30-2005, 07:24 AM
You sure it's bird poop and not something you picked up passing under a bridge or overhead construction area? That sounds like one tough bird!

Tex's Ridge
09-30-2005, 07:29 AM
Won't that scratch the paint?

It should'nt scratch the clear coat. Now, if you used a cold chisel and a ballpeen hammer.... :D

swampler
09-30-2005, 07:53 AM
You sure it's bird poop and not something you picked up passing under a bridge or overhead construction area? That sounds like one tough bird!
Hadn't thought of that. I do drive under a bridge every morning going to work that is being worked on. I suppose it could be a splash of concrete, though I don't really think it is.

BamaRidge
09-30-2005, 10:33 AM
Try a little WD40. Let it sit for few minutes and remove. Re-wax after you're done.

steveberger
09-30-2005, 11:42 AM
Hadn't thought of that. I do drive under a bridge every morning going to work that is being worked on. I suppose it could be a splash of concrete, though I don't really think it is.
Maybe paint or epoxy coating of some kind. I would be considering professional body work assistance on this one.