"Mama, I'm comin' home." [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: "Mama, I'm comin' home."

zroger73
04-07-2010, 10:55 AM
I found two black 2010 RTL Navi's at a dealer close to Houston. One of them should be making its way to my local dealer in Longview soon for Saturday delivery.

hiPSI
04-07-2010, 11:04 AM
Good Job! Is the thread title a reference to some country song thing or is it one I'm familar with by Ozzy?

zroger73
04-07-2010, 11:08 AM
Good Job! Is the thread title a reference to some country song thing or is it one I'm familar with by Ozzy?

Ozzy. :) I'm slightly excited. I never really liked the silver on my '07. This time, I simply wasn't willing to buy unless I got EXACTLY what I wanted. Having owned a few black vehicles in the past, I know they are a b*tch to keep clean, but they sure look sweet right after a good detail!

RustyH
04-07-2010, 11:15 AM
Ozzy. :) Having owned a few black vehicles in the past, I know they are a b*tch to keep clean, but they sure look sweet right after a good detail!

Word!!!!!!!!!!:act035:

zroger73
04-07-2010, 11:34 AM
I probably could have lived without navigation since I rarely use it, but I do like Bluetooth and I really appreciate the backup camera after having my first one on the G35. Anybody wanna buy a once-used TomTom XL340S? :)

zroger73
04-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Here he is sitting at the dealer about 200 miles from me. (Photo ripped from the dealer's website.)

jnc2000
04-07-2010, 12:24 PM
My twin!

Black on black RTL /nav :act035:

Congrats man - may I recommend this for washing - it'll help with the marring as Honda's paints are soft.

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/foam-wash-gun.html

zroger73
04-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Congrats man - may I recommend this for washing - it'll help with the marring as Honda's paints are soft.

http://www.superiorcarcare.net/foam-wash-gun.html

I always rinse off any loose stuff, then use a brand name car wash soap with a microfiber sponge. I dry with a dampened cotton towel. I used to knock most of the water off with one of those silicone water blades. Although I always got lucky, I stopped using for fear it would drag something abrasive across the paint. I know all about Honda's soft paint...and Infiniti's...and Chevrolet's...and most any other vehicle I've owned made in the last decade.

hiPSI
04-07-2010, 12:41 PM
I always rinse off any loose stuff, then use a brand name car wash soap with a microfiber sponge. I dry with a dampened cotton towel. I used to knock most of the water off with one of those silicone water blades. Although I always got lucky, I stopped using for fear it would drag something abrasive across the paint. I know all about Honda's soft paint...and Infiniti's...and Chevrolet's...and most any other vehicle I've owned made in the last decade.

My '07 RL had factory nav and it was nice! Used it more for a radio than nav though since people always tell me where to go... On another note, I have used the water blades for years and still using them on my '10. My trick is to run the blade between my fingers before every swipe. It takes no time and you can feel if any grit is on the blade before you run it across. Looks good man!

07_rtx
04-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Good luck with the new purchase. Your going to miss the mpg of the civic, I know I miss my mpg from my 06 civic si. The truck is just much more useful for me.

zroger73
04-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Good luck with the new purchase. Your going to miss the mpg of the civic, I know I miss my mpg from my 06 civic si. The truck is just much more useful for me.

The Civic was a temporary solution for me to drive something inexpensive until my personal level of "consumer confidence" increased to the point where I felt comfortable owning a more expensive, less efficient vehicle again. I tried owning a separate car and truck, but that results in twice the insurance and two vehicles to maintain. I don't put many miles on a vehicle, so fuel costs aren't a huge deal-breaker for me.

KrisRidge
04-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Here he is sitting at the dealer about 200 miles from me. (Photo ripped from the dealer's website.)

It would be a better picture if it was parked in your driveway.:act024:

zroger73
04-07-2010, 08:16 PM
It would be a better picture if it was parked in your driveway.:act024:

I think you just wanna see my driveway! :) Now that I think about it, why did I post that picture earlier? We all know what a Ridgeline looks like. :D

k757
04-07-2010, 09:19 PM
The Civic was a temporary solution for me to drive something inexpensive until my personal level of "consumer confidence" increased to the point where I felt comfortable owning a more expensive, less efficient vehicle again. I tried owning a separate car and truck, but that results in twice the insurance and two vehicles to maintain. I don't put many miles on a vehicle, so fuel costs aren't a huge deal-breaker for me.Didn't you own a G35? sigh, what a fantastic car

zroger73
04-08-2010, 06:48 AM
Didn't you own a G35? sigh, what a fantastic car

I did. A fantastic car indeed. Not only beautiful and downright sexy to look at, but nothing beats the feel of rear wheel drive. Nissan has a gem of an engine with that VQ series.

Here's a few pictures I took of it (again, as if you don't already know what they look like, haha!)...

http://picasaweb.google.com/zroger73/2008InfinitiG35Journey#

Humble Pie
04-08-2010, 07:03 AM

I thought it was Ten Years After......:act035:

k757
04-08-2010, 07:07 AM
I did. A fantastic car indeed. Not only beautiful and downright sexy to look at, but nothing beats the feel of rear wheel drive. Nissan has a gem of an engine with that VQ series.

Here's a few pictures I took of it (again, as if you don't already know what they look like, haha!)...

http://picasaweb.google.com/zroger73/2008InfinitiG35Journey#k, I get the whole not wanting the Civic for all driving activities, but not wanting the G? If I remember correctly, you really didn't drive the G either (low miles)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii115/keith_757_2/trekwtf.jpg

zroger73
04-08-2010, 07:15 AM
k, I get the whole not wanting the Civic for all driving activities, but not wanting the G? If I remember correctly, you really didn't drive the G either (low miles)

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii115/keith_757_2/trekwtf.jpg

Haha! Love the photo attachment! :)

The G was one of those cars that I should have just rented for a weekend to get it out of my system. It was so elegant that I hated to risk getting it dirty or damaged, so it ended up being a conversation piece instead of a daily driver. What an expensive conversation piece, huh?!?!

hiPSI
04-08-2010, 07:32 AM

The G was one of those cars that I should have just rented for a weekend to get it out of my system. It was so elegant that I hated to risk getting it dirty or damaged, so it ended up being a conversation piece instead of a daily driver. What an expensive conversation piece, huh?!?!

I understand. Sometimes it's not about the drive but about the "feel" of a vehicle. It's about the emotion and all that crap my wife and daughter fully understand and I only grasp the edges of it sometime and am reminded of it every day. My best example: Riding my brother's Honda CBR1000RR every now and then. I am grinning when I put my helmet on and still grinning when I take it off. That is emotion to me. Driving my truck late in the evening after spending several hours cleaning and detailing it. Driving it through 20" of snow and arriving safely home. Those are emotions that transend the actual driving experience. If I were rich I would have all these vehicles that give me different emotions but unfortunately I can only have one so the ridge is it!. Go buy the truck already Roger!

hiPSI
04-08-2010, 07:38 AM
I thought it was Ten Years After......:act035:

Holy crap! Did you not see the "Mama" in front of it lol? I would have said Ten Years After if Mama was not in front. Man that goes waaaay back like your screen name and your location! That was early '70's right?

k757
04-08-2010, 08:39 AM

The G was one of those cars that I should have just rented for a weekend to get it out of my system. It was so elegant that I hated to risk getting it dirty or damaged, so it ended up being a conversation piece instead of a daily driver. What an expensive conversation piece, huh?!?!You only had a G, not a Ferrari. That's a shame that you didn't really drive the G like it was designed to be driven (performance sedan). If you had, the G would be sitting in the driveway with rock chips and smoke coming from the brakes with a sh*teating grin on your face

(I'm assuming) the G cost sightly more than the new Ridge, but you will drive the Ridge, throw junk in the back and get that dirty. :act018: :act002:

zroger73
04-08-2010, 09:56 AM
You only had a G, not a Ferrari. That's a shame that you didn't really drive the G like it was designed to be driven (performance sedan). If you had, the G would be sitting in the driveway with rock chips and smoke coming from the brakes with a sh*teating grin on your face

(I'm assuming) the G cost sightly more than the new Ridge, but you will drive the Ridge, throw junk in the back and get that dirty. :act018: :act002:

Unless I were wealthy enough to afford a G to drive in comfort after the Ferrari wore me out, then I'd rather have the G. I played in the G, but only within limits that I could get away with on public roads. For me, the G was the "nicest" (i.e. most expensive) vehicle I've ever owned. I have no idea what the future holds, but it's highly unlikely I'll ever be able to afford or be willing to afford any type of exotic.

Your assumption is correct. The G was a couple grand more than the Ridge and was fun when and while it lasted, but like a previous poster mentioned in another thread, I would prefer to own a fast car, luxury car, big truck, etc., but the reality is that I must pick one vehicle that is a compromise. That's why I'm coming back to the Ridgeline.

zroger73
04-08-2010, 12:22 PM
Local dealer called this morning. The Kingwood, TX dealer wasn't willing to let go of either black RL, so mine will be coming from a dealer in Arkansas. The downside is that it'll have about 400 miles on it by the time it arrives, but I'm getting "free" tint and splash guards. Joy. :)

Humble Pie
04-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Holy crap! Did you not see the "Mama" in front of it lol? I would have said Ten Years After if Mama was not in front. Man that goes waaaay back like your screen name and your location! That was early '70's right?

off of their second album "Undead" 1968......

Goin' home, my baby
Goin' home, my baby
Goin' home, to see my baby

Our baby, how good
My baby, be good
I'm goin' home, my baby
Home to see my girl

Oh baby, baby, I'm coming home
Baby, baby I'm coming home
Tell me Mama, baby, I'm coming home

Gonna see my baby, see my baby fine
Gonna take my baby, wanna take my baby mine
Gonna take my woman treats me real kind

I'm goin' home, my baby
I'm goin' home, to see my baby
Goin' home, my baby

Take my baby, take my baby mine
Gonna tell your mama how good that love of ours

Oh, baby ooh

Wanna take you back, take where love belong
Treat me baby, treat, don't treat me wrong

Oh, baby, I'm rollin'
Baby, baby, I'm rollin'
Baby, baby, I'm rollin'

Won't you shake me, baby, well get you rollin' down
Oh, baby, we're gonna have some fun

Baby, please don't go, baby, please don't go
Please don't go, she's cold, I need you

Comin' home, ooh, hey
Come on over baby, whole lotta shakin' goin' on
Home, to see my girl, ooh

I'm goin' home, take my baby
I'm goin' home, see my baby
Gonna take me back, I'll take her where I belong

Come on, Take me, Yeah

I'm goin' home, I'm goin' home
I'm goin' home, hey, hoo
Gonna take me back right where I belong

Hoo, hoo....., right where I belong

k757
04-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Goin' home, my baby
Goin' home, my baby
Goin' home, to see my baby

Our baby, how good
My baby, be good
I'm goin' home, my baby
Home to see my girl

Oh baby, baby, I'm coming home
Baby, baby I'm coming home
Tell me Mama, baby, I'm coming home

Gonna take my baby, wanna take my baby mine
Gonna take my woman treats me real kind

I'm goin' home, my baby
Goin' home, my baby

Take my baby, take my baby mine
Gonna tell your mama how good that love of ours

Oh, baby ooh

Wanna take you back, take where love belong
Treat me baby, treat, don't treat me wrong

Oh, baby, I'm rollin'
Baby, baby, I'm rollin'
Baby, baby, I'm rollin'

Oh, baby, we're gonna have some fun

Please don't go, she's cold, I need you

Comin' home, ooh, hey
Come on over baby, whole lotta shakin' goin' on
Home, to see my girl, ooh

I'm goin' home, take my baby
I'm goin' home, see my baby
Gonna take me back, I'll take her where I belong

Come on, Take me, Yeah

I'm goin' home, hey, hoo
Gonna take me back right where I belong

Hoo, hoo....., right where I belong"baby" ....

24 - lines with (1) "baby"
10 - lines with (2) "baby"
15- no mention of "baby" on the line

"Nobody puts Baby in a corner"
http://whatsontv.co.uk/blogs/movietalk/files/2009/06/dirty-dancing-free1.jpg

zroger73
04-10-2010, 05:38 PM
My (the) Ridgeline arrived at the local dealer last night. When I went to sign the papers this morning, the amount was higher than previously agreed upon through e-mail. Long story short, the dealer reneged on their acceptance of my offer and I walked. I'm rather surprised given the business me and my group of Honda owner friends have given them over the last 5 years. This would have been my 4th purchase from them in as many years. Previous deals were fair and hassle-free. After I calm down, I'll go into more detail about what happened. I'm still a bit in shock that they were willing to lose a sale and customer (likely multiple customers) - particularly in this economy. So, no new Ridgeline for now. :(

codda
04-11-2010, 05:38 AM
It was the premature picture post...never pose with the Stanley Cup until you win it...Not cool with the reneging...it's not binding...?

zroger73
04-11-2010, 07:50 AM
1. They tried to charge me for tint and splash guards that I was previously told I would not be charged for. A female at the dealer told me they would "eat" the cost of these since they couldn't be removed without damaging the truck. The sales manager tried to convince me that he told me the truck had these items and how much they were I said that was fine. Wrong. I remember the conversation with this lady very well. I never spoke with a male about accessories. He even pulled the "God card" and started going on about how he was a Christian and believed in God and asked me if I truly believed in my heart that I wasn't going to be charged for those accessories. Give me a break!

2. Their e-mail indicated they couldn't do the $1,500 AND 2.9% and offered to "split the difference" and give $750 cash instead - presumably while keeping the 2.9% rate - I mean, why give up the rate and not take the full $1,500, right? However, the reality is that the interest rate changed to 4.8% AND they were keeping half the dealer cash! This was their meaning of "split the difference". The sales manager even admitted their e-mail wasn't worded clearly, but refused to stand behind it.

3. After stepping outside and regaining my composure, I returned for a thorough review of the e-mails and numbers. At this point, I discovered the dealer charges $375 for every vehicle for their "free car wash with oil change" and "free loaner car" programs. I told him I change my own oil, wash my own car, and don't need a loaner and to remove that charge. He wouldn't. He stated that was charged to him by the service department and he couldn't do anything about it. That was the point I asked for my "old" keys back, told him there was no point is discussing this any further, and left.

We got past the accessories and may have been able to get through the $375 nonsense. However, they absolutely refused to work around the miscommunication on their part. The offered 2.9% and no cash -OR- 4.8% and only HALF of the $1,500 dealer cash. The bottom line amounts to $1,125.00 more than I was led to believe I was going to pay nor will I pay 4.8% interest with my credit.

Now, I expect things like this to happen to many people at most car dealerships. It's the nature of the business. What gets me is the number of vehicles purchased by myself and others I've recommended this dealer to. Do I deserve special treatment? Well, I'm a repeat customer with a big voice in my community. I would expect at least the same level of service that resulted in my prior purchases from this dealer.

The point is, they mis-worded an e-mail (intentionally or otherwise) and wouldn't make it right to save a sale and a customer. What they should have done is eat crow for the sake of reputation. The more I think about it, the angrier I get that this dealer thinks I'm stupid. Lord knows I've bought plenty of vehicles - I'm not new at this "game". I feel so sorry for the vast majority of vehicle buyers out there. Do they ever stop and wonder why those dealerships have such pretty imported marble urinals?

ridgelinematt
04-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Sorry to hear about your misadventures with this stealer.

I stay away from dealers that automatically put "protection package" or "sport package" on their vehicles. There's one here locally that does both and I refused to do any business with them. Over-priced unnecessities.

Stick by your guns, check out another dealer, hopefully you'll not wait long to get your new Ridgeline.

SpartanML
04-11-2010, 04:11 PM
This is bad news and I am sorry they gave you the run around. No loyalties what so ever...

zroger73
04-13-2010, 10:17 AM
My salesperson, who was out on vacation Saturday, returned to work this morning and learned of the failed deal. He called right after their morning sales meeting and told me he wanted my business and he felt this wouldn't have happened had he been present Saturday. I told him that I was going to send him a spreadsheet detailing every single charge along with the bottom line figure exactly as it would appear on the actual purchase receipt and installment agreement. That way there should be absolutely no ambiguity when I sign the papers. We'll see what happens next.

hiPSI
04-13-2010, 12:34 PM
My salesperson, who was out on vacation Saturday, returned to work this morning and learned of the failed deal. He called right after their morning sales meeting and told me he wanted my business and he felt this wouldn't have happened had he been present Saturday. I told him that I was going to send him a spreadsheet detailing every single charge along with the bottom line figure exactly as it would appear on the actual purchase receipt and installment agreement. That way there should be absolutely no ambiguity when I sign the papers. We'll see what happens next.

Good luck and we are rootin' for ya!

r-squared
04-13-2010, 02:12 PM
My salesperson, who was out on vacation Saturday, returned to work this morning and learned of the failed deal.
Yeah, they should come around on this one. Its good you were willing to leave. If you don't get this particular one, you'll get another one. I think I am most disturbed by the "God" comment though. What was that?!?!? I'd send the same spreadsheet to a competing dealer just for fun. Tell them this particular dealer agreed to it, but didnt have the right color, and if they can execute it without introducing any changes to the spreadsheet, you'll come down with your pen to sign.

zroger73
04-13-2010, 04:51 PM
Done deal. Gonna go pick up the black beast here in about 30 minutes.

zroger73
04-13-2010, 06:10 PM
Heee's home!!! :cheerleader:

Oh, how I've missed thee. Is one crazy to have dreams at night about owning a vehicle they've owned before?

Anyway, everything is familiar much the same as I expected. It's been a minute since I owned my '07, so I can't make a fair direct comparison, but... The '10 seems a bit more stiffly sprung than the '07, but far from harsh. The transmission feels smoother. The engine seems to labor a bit less. Oh, that new leather smell. I like the black interior much better than the gray. The "programmable multi-information display" is neat. I like watching the trip computer and seeing individual tire pressures is handy.

dwill2win
04-13-2010, 06:34 PM
Yay!!! What ended up happening? Did you go back or did you go to another dealer? Thanks for sharing about this and kudos to you for standing your ground.

zroger73
04-13-2010, 06:48 PM
Yay!!! What ended up happening? Did you go back or did you go to another dealer? Thanks for sharing about this and kudos to you for standing your ground.

Same place. I've never had to walk on this dealer before, but this was also the first time my regular salesman was on vacation and left the deal up to another employee. Nobody else probably cared or realized that I was a repeat customer and part of group of repeat buyers from this same salesman.

If you're in East Texas, visit Vernon Reed at Brew Honda in Longview, Texas and tell him Roger sent you. I wouldn't suggest making eye contact or shaking hands with anyone else there - you'd be wasting your time.

Anyway, I'm back in the vehicle that was made exactly for my needs even if I did have to go through a bit of uncalled-for frustration.

davedad
04-13-2010, 07:29 PM
Congrats glad to herar you got what you wanted.

zroger73
04-13-2010, 10:27 PM
The backup camera is handy. The one on my G35 showed guidelines on the screen that moved with the steering wheel showing where the vehicle would go. That was a neat feature.

The starter upgrade is awesome - it now sounds like a luxury V8. I remember a few years back a friend of mine bough a well-used '98 Infiniti Q45t. The engine starting sound was very rich and powerful. I know - a little thing to most people - but the sound an engine makes while it is starting has a definite play on emotion - just like the feel of an ignition key cylinder.

SpartanML
04-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Pics nao!!! This thread is worthless without them.

hiPSI
04-14-2010, 07:48 AM
Congratulations! Now what will you do since the buying saga has ended?

ridgelinematt
04-14-2010, 07:51 AM
Congrats! Glad everything worked out. Where's the pics, you should know better than that by now.:act035:

oarnold
04-14-2010, 09:24 AM
Congrats Z! And you got the right color, too.

Now, if you really want to bring this bad boy "home," you'll sign up for the Honda Plant Tour. You know that would be the perfect road trip to break it in.

zroger73
04-14-2010, 09:33 AM
Congrats! Glad everything worked out. Where's the pics, you should know better than that by now.:act035:

Pics?!?! Ya'll don't know what a black Ridgeline looks like??? Just kiddin'! Here he is as I was leaving the dealer yesterday evening.

As I was bragging on Honda quality to a fellow co-worker and Ford owner this morning after I got to work, the tailgate wouldn't open conventionally - it will only swing open. It feels like the tailgate latch isn't catching. How embarrassing!!! I would have hoped Honda would have addressed the tailgate issues by now. Time for my first Honda warranty repair already in less than 24 hours of ownership. Blah! :)

k757
04-14-2010, 09:38 AM
Pics?!?! Ya'll don't know what a black Ridgeline looks like??? Just kiddin'! Here he is as I was leaving the dealer yesterday evening.

As I was bragging on Honda quality to a fellow co-worker and Ford owner this morning after I got to work, the tailgate wouldn't open conventionally - it will only swing open. It feels like the tailgate latch isn't catching. How embarrassing!!! I would have hoped Honda would have addressed the tailgate issues by now. Time for my first Honda warranty repair already in less than 24 hours of ownership. Blah! :)you never open your mouth until after an action occurs http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii115/keith_757_2/GIFs/slap.gif

25 Year Honda Owner
04-14-2010, 09:42 AM

As I was bragging on Honda quality to a fellow co-worker and Ford owner this morning after I got to work, the tailgate wouldn't open conventionally - it will only swing open. It feels like the tailgate latch isn't catching. How embarrassing!!! I would have hoped Honda would have addressed the tailgate issues by now. Time for my first Honda warranty repair already in less than 24 hours of ownership. Blah! :)

My 08 has been in the shop a couple of times for swing latch problems. Completely replaced once, still rough!!

dwill2win
04-14-2010, 12:23 PM
you never open your mouth until after an action occurs http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii115/keith_757_2/GIFs/slap.gif

Hahahaha - nice one! zroger - the truck looks amazing! I'm sure you are driving down the road with a huge sh&teating grin.

zroger73
04-14-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm sure you are driving down the road with a huge sh&teating grin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn5EP9StlVA

zroger73
04-17-2010, 12:27 PM
Took the Ridge in this morning to have the tail gate looked at. It took the tech about 15 minutes to adjust one of the linkage rods that had not been properly adjusted at the factory. Now I've got swing and drop with a very positive handle feel - much better than my '07.

I also picked up my rubber floor mats (the carpets mats they are putting standard in the RTLs now look alright, but I gotta have rubber). They washed the pollen off after repairing the tail gate. The dealership owner happened to have been there this morning. He came out and offered his apologies for the hassle over the weekend and told me it shouldn't have happened and then told me there was no charge for the rubber mats (I had previously agreed to and was ready to pay for them).

So, my confidence in Brew Honda has been restored. It's a shame I was left with a barrel of confused, lying monkeys last Saturday, but all is well for now. :)

Jet Pack
04-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Took the Ridge in this morning to have the tail gate looked at. It took the tech about 15 minutes to adjust one of the linkage rods that had not been properly adjusted at the factory. Now I've got swing and drop with a very positive handle feel - much better than my '07.

I also picked up my rubber floor mats (the carpets mats they are putting standard in the RTLs now look alright, but I gotta have rubber). They washed the pollen off after repairing the tail gate. The dealership owner happened to have been there this morning. He came out and offered his apologies for the hassle over the weekend and told me it shouldn't have happened and then told me there was no charge for the rubber mats (I had previously agreed to and was ready to pay for them).

So, my confidence in Brew Honda has been restored. It's a shame I was left with a barrel of confused, lying monkeys last Saturday, but all is well for now. :)

Glad to hear your dealership is trying to make it right by you.