Cupholders+dealership=cr@p [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: Cupholders+dealership=cr@p

Castro
05-12-2010, 10:45 AM
So everyone knows about the poor deal we got with the rubber cup holder inserts. So i made an appt at Gerrish Auto in West Lebanon NH, under the impression that they would replace the inserts and do a recall check. Well I now know the extened warrenty does not cover it (2008 w/57k). I also found out that since I have had my service done at a small shop owned and operated by a master honda tech, honda race engine builder of the year through out the 90's and the old service manager at the very same dealership. Since I have done that the would not good will it. Cost me 115$, i would have done it myself had I not driven 30 miles and known it wasnt covered (I was led to believe it would be when i made my apt). Just wanted to pass on what a raw deal I feel I got. I really dont care about the 100$, its the point. We have a 2007 subaru b9 tribeca and ran into the same thing with the dealership and said we would not buy another. Now my wife was looking at the pilot, I told the dealership this and about how after the BS we went through we wouldnt buy another subaru because of it, I told them the same was gona be true with Honda. Whats wrong with world, why does no one stand behind there products anymore? To make it even better after an hour of waiting i went to my truck and the front pull out was jamming up. I had them take it right back in, they had to dissassemble a second time and adjust some clips. I told them they wher crazy, if i was gona have to pay they could at least do it right the first time!

rakapur
05-12-2010, 11:39 AM
So everyone knows about the poor deal we got with the rubber cup holder inserts. So i made an appt at Gerrish Auto in West Lebanon NH, under the impression that they would replace the inserts and do a recall check. Well I now know the extened warrenty does not cover it (2008 w/57k). I also found out that since I have had my service done at a small shop owned and operated by a master honda tech, honda race engine builder of the year through out the 90's and the old service manager at the very same dealership. Since I have done that the would not good will it. Cost me 115$, i would have done it myself had I not driven 30 miles and known it wasnt covered (I was led to believe it would be when i made my apt). Just wanted to pass on what a raw deal I feel I got. I really dont care about the 100$, its the point. We have a 2007 subaru b9 tribeca and ran into the same thing with the dealership and said we would not buy another. Now my wife was looking at the pilot, I told the dealership this and about how after the BS we went through we wouldnt buy another subaru because of it, I told them the same was gona be true with Honda. Whats wrong with world, why does no one stand behind there products anymore? To make it even better after an hour of waiting i went to my truck and the front pull out was jamming up. I had them take it right back in, they had to dissassemble a second time and adjust some clips. I told them they wher crazy, if i was gona have to pay they could at least do it right the first time!

I had been having problems with Fairfax Honda since i got the truck (took way to long to get my option parts in, and then took to long to get the installed), the sales manager was very rude, the service manager and writer also very rude. even though i leased my truck, a lease is a sale in the dealerships eyes and they treat a customer that "bought" a $38k (msrp with options) truck like this? i had a problem and found out on the ROC it was the brake switch, i told the service write and he basically called me an idiot, i finally got them to look at the switch 2 visits later and guess what i was right, after that i, finally just said **** you guys and went to Landmark Honda which another member on this forum (Jack) referred me to and they treated me great, i had some problems with the truck with out any questions fixed for free (water in fog lights, and center caps turning yellow) and some how they managed to get the parts in a day and install it in less then 2 hours (other dealer waiting for parts and install took a month!), a few months ago my battery was dieing, i took the truck to them they tested EVERY thing in the truck to make sure nothing was draining the battery. even with the great service i think this is my last Honda, i dont like the way Honda is going and i really dont like how they look, but mostly because of the bad service i had gotten at Fairfax Honda and from American Honda, i wrote a letter to American Honda they called me didnt really sound apologetic sounded like they were doing me a favor by letting me drive the truck, they said they sent a letter to the sales manager, service manager, and that service writer, i have still not gotten an apology for the **** they put me through. i really dont understand how a company can do this and think you will recommend them, its complete bs, i do recommend the Ridgeline but i make sure they stay away from Fairfax Honda

Garland
05-12-2010, 11:47 AM
I took a razor blade to my cupholder inserts in the first year of ownership-cut them right out. I agree that it is a crappy design, but I still love the truck. If I ever have a reason to remove the console, I will put in new inserts I guess. I think hot coffee cups killed my original set so I would avoid repeating that mistake.

Castro
05-12-2010, 11:52 AM
They are garbage. just like how porsche used flexible rubber for the hing on the old 944's center console. but that was 23 years ago, think they would have learned by now......

cdepuydt
05-12-2010, 12:07 PM
I agree on the cupholder material...it's crap.

As far as not buying another Honda because of the dealership...that's interesting, because the reason we had 2 Honda's in our garage at home, was because the local Honda dealership/garage was so good.

We went from owning a GM and Chrysler to two Honda's and the service was like night and day. Both the GM and Chrysler service garages had absolute dinks working in them, the guys at the front desk treated you like they were doing you a favor by letting you bring your vehicle in and, if you ever made the mistake of asking a question, they acted like you were an annoyance, instead of a good customer. Whenever I asked for a loaner, they acted like I just peed on their shoes, and their loaners (if you could get one) were usually some late model POS, that felt like it was gonna fall apart at any moment.

In contrast, my Honda dealer/service department has been great. I was absolutely shocked the first time I brought my vehicle in, somebody greeted me at my door, asked how I was doing, if I need a cup of coffee or anything, and walked me over to my service adviser. My service advisor patiently explained everything they were going to do, how they planned on doing it, how long he expected it would take/what time he expected it to be done/when I could pick it up and, when he was done, he asked me if I had any questions or concerns. He listened to all my questions and answered the fully. If he didn't know the answer, he would get the information, and call me on my cell. My loaner was pulled inside, so I didn't have to walk in the rain to get into the vehicle, and it was fairly new, clean, and well maintained.

They have maintained the above mentioned level of service since the beginning. We've had a couple tense moments when things didn't work as well as planned, but they have always done their best to address an issue and, if it was their mistake, they took care of any costs involved.

So, anyway, long story short...I think it all depends on the particular dealership and who runs the place. You'd hope service would be consistent from Honda dealership to Honda dealership...but obviously that isn't the case. I agree, I don't care what deaership it is, but if they treat you like crap, go someplace else. I'm sure the other place would be happy to take your money.

msmith1965
05-12-2010, 12:26 PM
They are garbage. just like how porsche used flexible rubber for the hing on the old 944's center console. but that was 23 years ago, think they would have learned by now......

Add 968's to the list also! And, I agree, you would think they would have learned by now.

Jack
05-12-2010, 07:32 PM
To backup Rakapur on the Fairfax Honda issue ... I bought my 08 new from Fairfax Honda on a Friday. Monday I had it back because the brakes were screwed up and I almost lost the truck in a panic stop. Got the lines from Fairfax Honda about sitting in the lot causes the brakes to rust up, the truck sat on a train down from Canada and the rust from the tracks gets on the rotors, ah .... I finally said to the service writer, I don't care it's brand spanking new, got less than 300 miles on it, I've owned it for 2 and 1/2 days and the brakes are crap. Fix it! So the guy writes it up and says can you comeback this afternoon. When I come back the writer explains that it was rust on the rotors and that it would have eventually worn off and gotten better, but they did take off the rotors and resurface, not grind, to get rid of the surface rust. And oh by the way since it was not a defect that'll be $288 for the rotor work! as you can guess I exploded! Got the service manager, the salesman who sold it to me, and the dealership manager in the lobby and said in my loudest voice so that all the other customers could hear me that $288 for brake work on a brand new car is ridiculous and that I wanted my Tacoma back (which was still on the lot as a used truck) and the cash I added for the deal! Canyou believe these idiots actually said we will have to think about it! No friggin way I said I'm calling Fairfax County Police department. The manager said don't do that we will cover it, uh it was all just a joke right guys! They gave me a free oil change at the a1 point. When it came time to get the tranny and diff done like a fool I went back and when they quoted me $400 I said that's it, I'm outta hear. Went to Honda of Alexandria and they said yeah we get a lot of their business after the sale. Got the fluids done for $180 while I waited! Got a wash and a vacuum too. Now I always go to Alexandria Honda.

Also found out from Alexandria that the rotors didn't look like they had been serviced, but the lugs could have been overtightened somewhere along the line and that could have warped the rotors and contributed to the loss of control. I'm still not sure what they did at Fairfax, but the brakes have been good so far, 38k later.

The final insult from Fairfax Honda was the customer survey they sent in the mail wanting to know how well I was treated as a customer. I filled it honestly, giving the lowest marks possible and some pretty strong comments and mailed it to Honda instead of the dealership. Never heard a word from Honda or Fairfax.

But my cup holders are just fine !

ProHonda
05-12-2010, 09:07 PM
rubber ??

mine are foam and melt onto my stainless coffee cup !!!!!!!

csimo
05-12-2010, 09:21 PM
There was a TSB about the cup holder issue. The materials were updated, and improved. Not sure of the cutoff, but the TSB info is here on ROC if you search (I remember posting it).

midnightmadman
05-13-2010, 06:24 AM
Are you guys talking about the circle of tabs that stick out to sort of keep a smaller cup from shifting?
Mine are a foam and seam ok, but not sure if this is what your referring to.

TarheelGrad1998
05-13-2010, 07:03 AM
Agreed on cupholders. Pure cost cutting from Honda.

Now, not buying a brand car because of a dealer??? Please. There are bad dealers running on EVERY make/model of car. Just go somewhere else.

speedlever
05-13-2010, 07:39 AM
snip

Now, not buying a brand car because of a dealer??? Please. There are bad dealers running on EVERY make/model of car. Just go somewhere else.

Exactly. Else you'll run out of vehicles to choose from at some point! Seems kind of short sighted to me to blame the mfg for dealer issues.

Zombie_61
05-16-2010, 01:41 AM
...I think it all depends on the particular dealership and who runs the place.In my experience, this is an accurate statement. Car dealerships are just like any other franchise--some treat their customers well and stand behind their products, other treat their customers poorly and couldn't care less about anything other than getting their money. For maintenance and/or warranty issues, I drive the extra 13 miles (round trip) to the dealer we bought our Ridgeline from because they have a good reputation and, so far, have treated us right. The much closer local dealership might be just as good, but I see no need to take the chance they're not.

ssg
05-16-2010, 08:38 AM
Weird, I'm an avid coffee drinker and usually have a cup with me in the AM and have not experienced any quality issues with my 06 or '10…am I incredibly lucky, or was this stuff updated before I had a chance to use it?

By the way, as stated above…no reason to leave a brand because of a dealership. I realize it might be the only one around you but it sounds like you might just have more of a drive. I live in Ma. and go to NH for my dealership (sales and service) because the ones around me have zero clue. The one's in NH I deal with at least have sort of a clue…but I mostly do my own work if I can.

feetdry
05-16-2010, 12:56 PM
I live in my '08 RTL and drink lots of coffee every day and it all starts out in the cupholders. Am I "living" on borrowed time? 'Guess I'd better knock on that wood dash and hope it doesn't happen to me even though I have an extended factory warranty that sounds as if it doesn't work when it comes to cupholders.

Rats, the dash is plastic. My cupholder days are numbered.

tillsonhil
09-19-2011, 06:59 PM
I've had my Ridgeline for one year and just had the cup holder inserts replaced by the dealer (under warranty). They were and still are rubber and I fully expect to have the same problem a year from now. Piss poor material design to wear and crack like they did.

speedlever
09-19-2011, 07:15 PM
Going on 3 years with mine and they seem in good shape. I'm guessing you put drinks in and out of the holders a lot more than I do.

feetdry
09-19-2011, 07:23 PM
A year and 4 months later than my upstream post and my cupholders are still holding. Hmmm, guess I should buy a lot more venti lattes and really put them to the test.

quickshift
09-20-2011, 07:21 PM
After 3yrs and 211,xxx KMs, I had to superglue ONE tore tab. My son has already tore almost all the tabs in his 2011....he used to own my 08. It has to be a different supplier of the foam.

Jack
09-22-2011, 07:35 PM
Well after 3 years and 62k, mine are actually holding up well. A little bit of wear on the edges where the rubber meets and greats the cups as you put them in, but no tears or cracks.

hopingforahonda
09-22-2011, 10:24 PM
Are you serious? I think the cupholder tabs cost $4.00 to replace.

Hey, I also have a complaint, the tires on my 3 yr. old Ridgeline are starting to show some wear. What a design flaw! Maybe they will cover them under warranty!?!?:act060: