Click Noise Everytime It Goes Into Drive... [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: Click Noise Everytime It Goes Into Drive...

2008RidgelineWhite
05-21-2010, 01:19 PM
Hello everyone,

Not sure who else or if any one has encounter the following issue.
Everytime i start up the car after being parked for long periods of time and i put it into D "to drive" i hear a click noise( as it something is locking into place) and then the noise from the automatic door locks once the vehicle starts to move.

Now this is my first Ridgeline (2008 RTL) and the only one i ever test drove or sat in, and I WANTED to know if any one else has this happen to them or if it is normal or not.

I have not brought it in to the dealership because once that noise happens and i park the vehicle and couple of minutes later leave it does not make the noise.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

Thank you,

'08 RTL

Ian Brantford
05-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Does it sound like it's coming from the front end? The brake anti-lock system recalibrates when you start and take off.

2008RidgelineWhite
05-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Yes, but it only happens when the vehicle is stopped for long periods of time. And it is a loud click almost has loud as when the automatic door locks clicks in.

2008RidgelineWhite
05-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Hi Ian,

Does that also happen to your ridgeline, the clicking sound?

Thank you,

'08 RTL

chiph
05-21-2010, 07:46 PM
Does it happen before you shift into Drive, or after the selector arrives at the "D" position?

I'm thinking it might be the gear selector release solenoid. This is what prevents someone from dropping it into Drive without the key.

Chip H.

Jack
05-21-2010, 10:30 PM
Mine does the same thing in almost the same circumstances. When I leave in the morning after the truck sits overnight I hear it as I move the select lever from P to R. Once I've done that it's not nearly as loud until the afternoon when I leave from work. I really notice it then because I park in an underground garage and that amplifies the sound. I have not been to the dealer because I think it's pretty normal for 40K (2008 rtl). The shifter moves smoothly, no hang ups and the truck shifts fine. I think it's just wear in. Also if the truck is not near any walls to reflect the sound it's really not loud. I also notice it if I'm parked on any kind of slope or incline that can stress the transmission selector or parking pawl and cause the noise.

another thing is that these trucks are actually pretty quiet when cruising down the road so we tend to notice any noise mor.

I'm not going to worry about it until it has an issue. If it makes you feel any better my wifes Highlander does the same thing and it's at 36k, so Ithink it's normal.

razrboy
05-22-2010, 05:02 AM
Interesting post / question. I thought it was just me that was hearing a click-sound when starting off in the morning. I, too, only notice it when the vehicle has been sitting overnight. I back out of the driveway, put it into drive and I'll roll about 2 feet and hear the sound. Curious what it is - doesn't seem to be a problem. Whatever happened to the "Ridgeline Tech" that used to be on here? A good question for him.

oarnold
05-22-2010, 07:00 AM
+ 1 on the ABS self-test, quite noticeable, but more of a "chnnnk" than a "click." http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17669&highlight=Clunk

Ian Brantford
05-22-2010, 07:52 AM
+ 1 on the ABS self-test, quite noticeable, but more of a "chnnnk" than a "click." http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17669&highlight=Clunk

Yes, that's it. I think that it only does it once a day. My 4Runner did the same thing and I never figured it out. I felt so much better upon reading about it here some time ago!

marcmc
05-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Same thing on my wife's Odyssey. ABS. The sound bothered me a lot less once I knew what it was.

speedlever
05-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Mine does the same thing in almost the same circumstances. When I leave in the morning after the truck sits overnight I hear it as I move the select lever from P to R.
snip

I would say it's the ABS self check too... except the ABS check occurs at about 8 or 9 mph... not when you shift from P to R.

On my RL, the ABS check sounds like the A/C clutch when it engages.. a clunk sound.

I only notice the ABS check on the first start of the day... or if it's sat for a long time (undefined... I wonder what the time interval is before it decides to reset?).

I have my door locks programmed to lock/unlock when I shift from/into Park, so I don't notice the door locking clunk at the magic speed (9mph?).

opsman
05-22-2010, 10:00 AM
Havnt noticed this on my RL, but my MDX did this after sitting. Made the sound at about 8 or 9 MPH. I always wondered what that was........must be the ABS system check. Good to know.

speedlever
05-22-2010, 12:02 PM
Havnt noticed this on my RL, but my MDX did this after sitting. Made the sound at about 8 or 9 MPH. I always wondered what that was........must be the ABS system check. Good to know.

Our Pilot does it too... but much more subdued than the Ridge. I barely notice it unless I just think to listen for it.

chiph
05-22-2010, 04:04 PM
(Not trying to be a jerk) but please go back and re-read the OP.

He's hearing the noise prior to the vehicle moving, and thus not the ABS pump self-test that you mention.

Chip H.

speedlever
05-22-2010, 04:15 PM
(Not trying to be a jerk) but please go back and re-read the OP.

He's hearing the noise prior to the vehicle moving, and thus not the ABS pump self-test that you mention.

Chip H.

Chip, I looked at it and found it a bit ambiguous as to when the click noise occurs. I responded to Jack's post and stated why I thought it was not the same noise as the ABS check.

"Everytime i start up the car after being parked for long periods of time and i put it into D "to drive" i hear a click noise( as it something is locking into place) and then the noise from the automatic door locks once the vehicle starts to move."

That click as described could be after the vehicle is moving or before. It's not clear to me for sure although it does sound like it occurs before the RL begins to move. It's been so long since my door locks were programmed to lock by speed that I don't remember when it occurs (before or after the ABS check).

Jack
05-22-2010, 11:05 PM
Yeah guys it's not the brake check, I know that one. The click I think the OP mentioned and I also hear can be duplicated 100% every time. In the AM I start the truck, put my foot on the brake, and when I shift into reverse I get a clicking sound as I pull the lever from P to R. once in R I don't hear it anymore. When I get out of the driveway and shift into D, I get the click again but not as loud because there is no wall or curb to reflect the sound. When I get to work and park in the garage, I'm surrounded by walls and can hear the click when I shift from D to P. When I leave in the afternoon and first go from P to D, it's pretty loud because of the walls reflecting the sound.

It didn't do this when new, but now 2 yrs and 40k later it does. Almost every car I have owned, automatic and standard tranny has had some kind of shifting or linkage noise when the miles build up and parts wear. Since the truck shifts fine I believe it's the linkage wearing in and not an issue. I will keep an eye on it though.

Also, when I put it in R or P and don't wait but immediately give it the gas there is play in thetranny and I get a clunk. Normal stuff with all the gears and shafts after 40k.

wshowell
06-25-2010, 07:57 PM
I've noticed a clunk too as I leave my garage and slowly pull out of the alley way. I thought I read somewhere that the RL departs with all four wheels being driven and then at a defined MPH switches to front wheel drive only until it senses slipping. Could it be the transaxle switch from AWD to FWD that we are all hearing? I can feel it a little in the gas pedal so I suspect it is more mechanical than something electrical like ABS. Curious as to what this mystery clunk is bot not worried since we all have it.

chiph
06-26-2010, 12:37 PM
The ABS pump runs briefly around 8-9mph as a self-test when you first pull away. That's what you're likely hearing.

You should not hear the transition from 4WD to FWD, and if you did, it would be every time you pull away from a stop sign, not the first time in the morning.

Chip H.

wshowell
06-26-2010, 02:29 PM
Ah, that makes sense Chip H on the transmission change. Love communities like this because without them I would probably have to spend a morning at the dealership to confirm that this was normal RL behavior. Time saved = +time lived...

RALCPA
06-27-2010, 07:17 AM
I have an 09 with 9k miles and have experienced the same thing. I back out of the driveway after the truck sits overnight and when I put it in "D" I get the clink just as forward progress starts. I figured it was the front differential(?) engaging. One curious thing is that I don't recall it happening until recently and only after sitting, it does not seem to occur when warmed up. Having had a Dakota that had a vacuum-engaged front differential that never worked right I'm not too concerned since its a Honda. I'm not an expert by any means but it certainly sounds drive train related.

chiph
06-27-2010, 11:07 AM
I have an 09 with 9k miles and have experienced the same thing. I back out of the driveway after the truck sits overnight and when I put it in "D" I get the clink just as forward progress starts. I figured it was the front differential(?) engaging. One curious thing is that I don't recall it happening until recently and only after sitting, it does not seem to occur when warmed up. Having had a Dakota that had a vacuum-engaged front differential that never worked right I'm not too concerned since its a Honda. I'm not an expert by any means but it certainly sounds drive train related.

Read my reply to wshowell above.

Chip H.

speedlever
06-27-2010, 12:10 PM
Read my reply to wshowell above.

Chip H.

What would be great would be to have such a problem (if indeed it is a problem) to be checked at a meet sometime by the collective experience of the attendees. That would help the owner with the question know whether or not their clink/clunk/whatever is typical or unusual. By ourselves, we tend to think any unusual sounding operating noises are unique and fraught with the potential of $$$ repairs.

Hesperus
06-30-2010, 02:23 PM
I get it on my 2009. I make sure the brake is fully applied before I shift it in or I get a louder click/noise. Had a posting on a clunk noise after it sits for a couple days and the dealer said they couldn't duplicate it. At least they have it mentioned in the write up for future reference.