MP3 CDs??? in the 6-disc changer [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: MP3 CDs??? in the 6-disc changer

laserfan
03-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Wondering if anyone knows if MP3 CDs will work with the stock changer in our RTL.

Haven't had time to burn a disc & try it, and there is nothing in the docs about formats.

Also, will it do CD-Text?

Keoni
03-17-2005, 12:32 PM
Nope, MP3s won't play in CD changer. Honda does sell an MP3 Player kit that mounts in place of that little storage bin under your stereo. The mounting kit is not available yet, but hopefully soon! I can't wait to get mine!!!

Check out the link below...best price I've found to date:

http://www.handa-accessories.com/ridgeline.html

Aloha,
Keoni

laserfan
03-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Well, that's a disappointment. Seems silly in these modern times of multi-format players, to spend another $400 on another gizmo that can go wrong, go wrong, go wrong.

Still, if you come across the owner's manual for this online somewhere, please post the link. Thanks.

Keoni
03-17-2005, 05:49 PM
The installation manual for the optional MP3 player is located on the same link that I mentioned above. It's a 10-minute project at best!

Aloha,
Keoni

laserfan
03-17-2005, 07:56 PM
The installation manual for the optional MP3 player is located on the same link that I mentioned above...Ya I saw that. I'm looking for the OWNER'S MANUAL that is referenced therein.

SaladSpoons
05-20-2005, 05:09 PM
And CD Text won't work either (Honda, why you gotta be so lame!).

Truckin'
05-20-2005, 05:30 PM
Don't buy that MP3 player without trying out one of your CDs first. I'm happy to report that my CDs that I burned on my Mac in MP3 format play perfectly. I was prepared for them to not play, given the high priced MP3 player accessory. I was not going to buy the MP3 player, since I have the RTL with the AUX input for my iPod.

bongus
05-21-2005, 10:46 AM
Don't buy that MP3 player without trying out one of your CDs first. I'm happy to report that my CDs that I burned on my Mac in MP3 format play perfectly. I was prepared for them to not play, given the high priced MP3 player accessory. I was not going to buy the MP3 player, since I have the RTL with the AUX input for my iPod.

I believe those of you who have the Navi equipped RLs have a headunit that can read DVDs...I have an RTL w/SR no Navi and it DOES NOT play mp3s. You could try it but trust me it does not work.

Keoni
05-21-2005, 01:28 PM
Burning an audio cd from MP3s is different than creating a cd containing native MP3 files. You could fit up to about 20 songs in cd audio format, but up to 200 songs in MP3 format.

Aloha,
Keoni

Truckin'
05-21-2005, 01:34 PM
Oh, that would explain the difference. Thanks for the clarification. I simply didn't expect it to play anything burned at home.

mugen1
05-21-2005, 10:55 PM

Yay!!!!! Another Mac user........ I've got Macs everywhere in my house and at work. Yes, I get to use a Mac at work, too!

zero
05-22-2005, 06:48 AM
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I use Macs as well.

Does the NAVI version come with the MP3 player?

bellteck
05-22-2005, 07:24 AM
Mine works fine, I have a RTL w/Nav and it plays burnt CD's just fine MP3 or WMA format. I choose the WMA as its easier for me to keep everything in a single format and library it all. My experience sofar is that you have to at least make each WMA file 96K or it starts to sound like your in a tunnel. I have a MP3 player I plug into the EXT input and it also works great !!

Truckin'
05-22-2005, 10:53 PM
I've found a much higher than expected ratio of Mac users who are Ridgeline owners. It's a joy whenever I bump into another Mac Head. I guess it just shows that people who expect quality products are drawn to the Ridge. Many of us are also loyal Mac enthusiasts.

bongus
05-22-2005, 11:51 PM
Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I use Macs as well.

Does the NAVI version come with the MP3 player?

The NAVI model DOES NOT have the mp3 player built in. It does have an AUX input so that you can connect your mp3 player into the radio.

Skaught
05-23-2005, 07:27 AM
Mac user and future Ridgeline owner here...

When you say it played an MP3 CD, that could mean two different things.

First, it's possible to use MP3 files to burn a "normal" music CD. Toast on the Mac can do this. It takes MP3 song files and converts them to "normal" song files (AIFF format I believe) resulting in a everyday CD that most any modern CD player can play. Due to file size after conversion, the CD can only hold about 12-18 songs, depending on length.

Second, you can burn a "data" CD featuring mp3 files. In this process the mp3 files remain mp3 files, allowing you to burn 200-odd mp3 files onto a single disc. This disc can NOT be played on regular CD players. It can only be read by a computer or by a player built read to an MP3 data disc.

So unless they designed the 6-disc player to play MP3 data files, it's not an MP3 player. Since they sell another device for this purpose, I would find it very surprising to learn that it does play MP3s.

Scott

bellteck
05-23-2005, 07:46 AM
If my post was confusing let me clarify and comment of some other posts....

RE: RTL W/NAV

Does it play MP3 DATA Disc's ? NO

Does it play Burnt MUSIC Disc's? YES - MP3 and WMA file extensions are what I use.

Can you get the MP3 player from Honda? YES

Can you use an external MP3 Player? YES - Why buy Honda's when you can buy a portible player and take it with you? * NOTE* This option works wonderful and I would like to see Honda come out with a portible unit that can be controlled with all radio funtions and steering wheel controls.

The NAVIGATION DVD player is under the drivers seat and does NOT play regular DVD's without the " Tweek " to do so. Has it been done? YES

JPColter
07-08-2005, 01:31 PM
If you burn an Audio CD from the mp3 files, it will work fine. I've got 6 differnet mixed CD's in mine and it's working well. I think an MP3 format CD just has the MP3 files burned as individual files but most burners can burn the MP3's as an Audio CD.

~JP~

DoctorJ
07-08-2005, 03:31 PM
The NAVIGATION DVD player is under the drivers seat and does NOT play regular DVD's without the " Tweek " to do so. Has it been done? YES

No it does not - the person who had DVD video, added an additional player and wired it in through the backup camera input with a switch. Its just a DVD ROM no video.

DWdrums
07-31-2005, 12:32 PM
This topic is very near and dear to my heart. So let's calirify please.

The CD players ( All models) in the Ridgline family CANNOT read a file extension ending in .mp3 .wma , etc...

it can only read a WAV aka: CDA These are the file extensions that you will find on a commercial CD.

If your player is playing a cd with .mp3 or .wma PLEASE inform us HOW you did it. This would save us all allot of money.

I am a fan of mp3. I like burning on a CD and rolling down the road with about 7 to 10 CD's on one disc. I like the fact that I can throw it away and do it again. I don't like plugging anything in. PIA! POwer supply. extra wires, POO!

Thanks

laserfan
08-01-2005, 08:10 PM
DWdrums, which part of NO don't you understand?

DWdrums
08-01-2005, 08:59 PM
DWdrums, which part of NO don't you understand?

Laser, go drink some cranberry juice. If you can't handle people's opinions, then you should really consider staying off boards.

These are discussions and not a play ground for you to mouth off and create " A BAd Mood"

lowrider
08-25-2005, 11:49 PM
does the mp3 data (song, artist, other mp3 encoded data) appear on the stereo screen when playing an MP3 encoded cd with the "mp3 accessory" (no not the aux jack, not the stock 6 disk cd changer)...the honda or H&A mp3 player.

is it activivated by pressing the cd/aux button on the main stereo unit (I have an RTL/SR NO navi).

laserfan
08-27-2005, 02:05 PM
It's just a little odd isn't it that for all the gizmos everyone here has bought for their truck, no one seems to have popped for the MP3 player! Too expensive for what it does, and silly to have to buy an add-on, and take up more space, when Honda *could* have used a CD changer that had this built-in.

DWdrums
08-29-2005, 07:27 AM
It's just a little odd isn't it that for all the gizmos everyone here has bought for their truck, no one seems to have popped for the MP3 player! Too expensive for what it does, and silly to have to buy an add-on, and take up more space, when Honda *could* have used a CD changer that had this built-in.

I got a call from HONDA. They say MP3 player will not ahow any data on NAV.

Pretty sad, but, for as much as they htought out this truck, they didn't think about the electronics part

captmiddy
08-29-2005, 09:05 AM
I got a call from HONDA. They say MP3 player will not ahow any data on NAV.

Pretty sad, but, for as much as they htought out this truck, they didn't think about the electronics part
What you may find is that they thought out a lot of this stuff but that when it came down to it, they make a truck which is more expensive than they had originally planned, and that this is the type of thing they cut from the vehicle to avoid allowing it to climb even higher. Also it is possible that their control over what could be displayed on the screen is somewhat limited but I don't think this is much of an issue given that I think one of the other vehicles with this display does show MP3 titles.

As to the AUX jack, there is no way that titles could be shown there as there is no data going through that jack, the only thing that goes over that jack is audio. They would have had to specifically decided that an IPOD or some other device would be the only one supported and then they could have done what you wanted.

flymuck
08-29-2005, 09:44 AM
Right, Cap't, about the aux jack -- I think people don't understand that these aren't "magic wires". It's the same aux jack you would use to plug in your iPod or portable CD player or whatever into a stereo system in order to use those speakers instead of headphones. People don't expect data to go streaming across an interface in that case!

Anyway, I think the real problem with a lot of automakers embracing the MP3 technology is a) it's not the only technology out there (although it is the most common at this point), and b) there is probably a lot of pressure from the music industry *not* to make this any more pervasive than it already is (although clearly Apple told them to stick it somewhere) because of the *potential* that people are burning music they don't own.

Plus, ironically the auto industry is slow to catch on to things that we now see as common in everyday life, but at the same time, they do put in more safety features, better engines (VTEC!), and other bells & whistles that maybe consumers would've never even thought of.

I miss having an MP3 player -- a lot. For me, getting the OEM one wasn't an option because I have NAV. I do have the AUX jack, but no iPod. :( I have a portable MP3 player (which won't fit as nicely in that little cubby), but can't find the AUX line for it. I'm a mess!! :D

MeTa
06-12-2007, 11:40 AM
OK, I am still in the dark here. I have seen some posts that say you can burn a Mac data disc and it works in the changer w/nav. I am not calling anyone liars here, but I have tried both a CD and DVD and it doesnt work. Can one of you guys walk me through it if you know how.

Much appreciated!

meanmachine19
06-12-2007, 11:47 AM
OK, I am still in the dark here. I have seen some posts that say you can burn a Mac data disc and it works in the changer w/nav. I am not calling anyone liars here, but I have tried both a CD and DVD and it doesnt work. Can one of you guys walk me through it if you know how.

Much appreciated!

A disc in mp3 format will not work in the standard cd player. That is usually done in a data disc.

If you put it in a music format and it holds less than, say, 20 songs, it will play. I've burned music CDs and they play in my RL. A word of caution: self applied labels may get stuck and are not recommended. I cannot think of the format to burn, but as a music disc it should do fine.

I am not familiar with MAC so I don't know if the process is different. I just know there is a difference between mp3 and audio.
Hope that helps.

djeaux
06-12-2007, 11:50 AM
You may want to check with Keith (k757). He has a Honda accessory mp3 player in his Civic. I don't think he's particularly wild about it, either.

hofffam
06-12-2007, 04:07 PM
If you burn an AUDIO CD, it will play. That's because the music files are standard 16 bit 44Khz audio files.

If you burn an CD with compressed audio files (MP3, WMA, etc.) it will not play. That's because the factory headunit does not have the $5 chip to decode those files.

You can buy a Honda MP3 accessory but you will need to bend over and pay $400+ for the privilege.

It would be cheaper to:

a. replace the headunit (unless you have NAV)
b. buy an iPod and add a USA Spec or similar adapter

No one should buy the Honda part. They will continue to make over priced accessories if people keep buying them.

k757
06-12-2007, 04:16 PM
You may want to check with Keith (k757). He has a Honda accessory mp3 player in his Civic. I don't think he's particularly wild about it, either.The standard mp3 player (single disc) in the 2006+ Civics is crap. Sorry for being blunt, but it "loses it's mind" all the time and can't remember what song you were on when you turn on the CD. It also will finish a song and just go back to folder 1, track 1.... GRRR!!! I am a computer guy, so I know how to burn discs correctly. I even checked the number of tracks/folders as I know players can get confused and I was well under the 255 count threshold.

My Civic is not the only one that has this problem. My dealership has tested it and said that it is working perfectly... which I know is crap... so I gave up. I just use burned Audio CDs.

skupko9680
06-12-2007, 05:06 PM
Red Book Audio is the standard that an audio CD needs to be created in in order for a CD audio device to play it. This format is often referred to as CDDA.

Also the mention of at least 96k for mp3's is subjective to personal preference as well as music type. I can easily tell the difference between 192k and original CDDA. I store all my CD's (not sure how many thousands)on my file server using a lossless compression. Once the music is compressed, it will retain that quality forever even if you burn a CD from it.

KrissQ8
08-14-2007, 10:24 AM
Howdy.

I am an audiophile who just traded in my 2001 Prelude and old school Mazda Pickup for the RTL / Rack / Bed Extender (w/o Nav).

It was definitely time for me to trade in those rigs and I needed to pay for my Ridge over the Element so that I can look forward to hauling something a bigger rigger looking forward.

I am glad my Ridge fits / loads up in the garage pretty neat next to my lady's Pilot. Many US Need a man's bed in their life, maybe an extra tool box, enough room for the Fam, a sedan trunk, AWD, ability to put a Quad in the bed real quick, and ability to tow more than 2000 pounds. The Ridge features enough to reel me in over the other trucks in it's class and I sure wasn't buying another SUV to sit next to my lady's.

After I find my right Tonneau cover, I will spend a few years making good use of the payload and towing capabilities, but if I find out that I can't use it as much as destiny would have it, I will step down into a new Element.

Coming from a little car with a full throttle custom sound system- the fact my RTL (w/o Nav) can't play .mp3, and doesn't have an .mp3 jack left me a bit tweaked- therefore I have burned 6 CDs (96 songs) and use a radio transmitter device on my .mp3 player.
There might be a really sweet wiring harness adapter for an aftermarket Navigation System, but I want to be sure to keep the steering wheel controls for audio, so my plan is to stay completely OE outside the Tonneau (cause I hear Honda's Tonneau is not best for bed accessibility).

Anyway my only question is- has anyone actually taken this deck out of the dash and taken a gander at it to see if there are any extra inputs on the back? Based on the stock deck I slapped back in the Lude before turnover- I'd say no, but thought to ask!

=;->
Thank you,
Kris

hofffam
08-14-2007, 10:44 AM
No offense please but you cannot be an audiophile and say you are satisfied with the poor fidelity of a radio transmitter for your MP3 player. At best you would get FM quality but of course it is much worse than that.

No RCAs on the factory headunit, any model. You can get AUX in via an adapter like the USA SPEC units.

KrissQ8
08-14-2007, 12:19 PM
You are right, sound originating w/ the transmitter (I received it for free as an award) is only okay, but the decently compressed .mp3s burned to audio format come through better. Well, you got me having been fencing off some trinkets and not having enough free dough I can't label as audiophile anymore, but I do like to critique music, lay down some FL Studio, and home a karaoke stage periodically..
Thank you for advise on that USA SPEC device!

2007 Silver RTL (no Navi) / Rack / BedExt

hofffam
08-14-2007, 02:39 PM
Dice Electronics also makes a device that offers AUX in....

Not sure which is better. I put the Dice unit in my wife's Pilot and it works well.

Good luck.....

MulletMobile
01-09-2012, 06:47 PM
So if I have the RTL w/NAVI is there any way to replace just the 6-disk changer behind the nav screen with a blutooth MP3 Unit?

hofffam
01-09-2012, 08:48 PM
No. Not possible.

laserguy
01-09-2012, 11:45 PM
Yeah the only way is like Hofffam said in post #31, bend over and pay $400.00 to make the 08 navi unit play mp3 files since the screen and the unit are connected. I would check with Honda to see if they have cheaper options.