What are some of your driving habit pet peeves? [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: What are some of your driving habit pet peeves?

zroger73
11-19-2010, 12:29 PM
Aside from the usual practices of applying makeup, texting, and eating, some more of mine are...

-Turning off the radio and HVAC before shutting off the engine.
-Being passed by another driver who pulls back into my lane without leaving enough distance forcing me to back off.
-The blinding light pattern of aftermarket HID headlamps.
-Finessing the gas pump so that it stops on an even dollar amount instead of fully filling the tank.
-Seeing toddlers or small children roaming about the cabin.
-Poorly maintained vehicles with smelly and visually-impairing exhaust.
-Putting lift kits on cars.
-Failing to indicate a turn using a turn signal.

rakapur
11-19-2010, 12:43 PM
goes below the speed limit in the left lane
*******s tailing me WHEN I AM SPEEDING!!
people slamming on the brakes if a cop pulls over another car
people bottlenecking to see a car accident/broken down car
people who dont know the speed limit and go 25 mph (please can we kill theses people??)
no turn sigs when you switch right in front of me
old people driving 20mph on the ****in parkway!!! (why would you build a damn retirement home right next to the parkway and a I95 ramp! WHY!!!

AG87BlkLX
11-19-2010, 12:46 PM
Sex...It pisses me off when I'm not involved.

Pizza Man
11-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Nose pickers! :act018:

Sal's_Ridge
11-19-2010, 02:06 PM
People in expensive cars who don’t get the “turn-signal” option for their cars

TarheelGrad1998
11-19-2010, 02:23 PM
Didn't we just do this? I thought that was pretty much the "Rant n Rave" thread. :act029:

AG87BlkLX
11-19-2010, 02:49 PM
Redskin memorabilia on vehicles.

rakapur
11-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Redskin memorabilia on vehicles.

well you gonna hate this :cheerleader::cheerleader::act035:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/skinschargerside.jpg
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/skinscar09b.jpg
http://cdn.faniq.com/images/blog/de93529c328bd35ab37e9856dffe5d7e.jpg
http://www.blogcdn.com/blog.redskins.com/media/2010/09/send-off-013.jpg
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/fdalas.bmp

the best for last
http://i335.photobucket.com/albums/m462/rakapur/Ridgeline/100_0331-1-1.jpg
:act035:

AG87BlkLX
11-19-2010, 03:40 PM
Oh my that's painful to look at.

sfflyer8
11-19-2010, 03:45 PM
Detroit leaning...

Ourfarm09
11-19-2010, 06:29 PM
Not using turn signals
Left lane drivers
CELL phones
Since I some times drive a school bus.... Trying to beat my stop sign.

speedlever
11-19-2010, 07:47 PM
People who say, "Didn't we just have a thread on this?"

:act027:

Oh wait, that's not a driving habit peeve!

skulli69
11-19-2010, 07:54 PM
1. Use of cell phones
2. Riding the brakes
3. Slow drivers in the fast lane

bikerbudmatt
11-19-2010, 08:21 PM
Slamming the gas to pass and then slamming the brakes immediately to get off at the next exit which was only a half mile away when they started the pass.

TRex650
11-19-2010, 08:49 PM
Slamming the gas to pass and then slamming the brakes immediately to get off at the next exit which was only a half mile away when they started the pass.

Amen to that one.

gdot
11-19-2010, 09:50 PM
Moving over to the left lanes as they get on the freeway.

Slowing down way before a red light and driving 5mph up to it.

Not knowing how to merge in traffic. It's like a zipper, wait until the end and one car in front and one car behind, how difficult is that.

TarheelGrad1998
11-20-2010, 06:09 AM
People who say, "Didn't we just have a thread on this?"

Oh wait, that's not a driving habit peeve!

Some of you guys should just print out a few threads and read them over and over. Save on electricity. And server storage on the ROC.

Maybe I'll go start a new thread on what kind of gas mileage everyone gets. That would be interesting, right?

speedlever
11-20-2010, 06:14 AM
Come on, THG. That was just a joke!

zroger73
11-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Moving over to the left lanes as they get on the freeway.

Slowing down way before a red light and driving 5mph up to it.

Not knowing how to merge in traffic. It's like a zipper, wait until the end and one car in front and one car behind, how difficult is that.

Uh oh. If I see a red light or suspect one is coming up, I'll start coasting way before. I sometimes get tailgated or passed at the light minute, but I gain an extra 2 MPG by anticipating red lights on my way to work. :)

Ah, the ol' "You WILL move over or slow down and let me on the road" thought process. I am well aware it's not courteous or always safe, but I often maintain my speed and my right-hand lane when I see someone failing to yield on an entrance ramp. Sometimes they play chicken, sometimes they yield at the last second, and sometimes they will drive on the shoulder or even go off road. If looks could kill! I guess yield signs and yellow lights still mean "proceed with maximum acceleration" to some people.

Jerboy
11-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Pulling half way off the street and stopping to survey the parking lot for a spot. Blocks traffic until they find what they are looking for.

bikerbudmatt
11-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Uh oh. If I see a red light or suspect one is coming up, I'll start coasting way before. I sometimes get tailgated or passed at the light minute, but I gain an extra 2 MPG by anticipating red lights on my way to work. :)

Ah, the ol' "You WILL move over or slow down and let me on the road" thought process. I am well aware it's not courteous or always safe, but I often maintain my speed and my right-hand lane when I see someone failing to yield on an entrance ramp. Sometimes they play chicken, sometimes they yield at the last second, and sometimes they will drive on the shoulder or even go off road. If looks could kill! I guess yield signs and yellow lights still mean "proceed with maximum acceleration" to some people.
I half-agree with you about the coming up on a red light. But what I learned in my 21 months of driving a hybrid car (Civic) was that, for the hybrids, the exact opposite behavior is needed. Roll up to the stop light, good braking action (regenerating electricity charge for the battery), and a prompt and definitive stop (which cuts the engine and means zero fuel used idling).

I think we're going to run into more conflicts as more different types of powertrains come on the road. Everyone who cares wants to do what's best for their individual situation (and fuel consumption), but we will conflict more and more.

On the other hand, the "failure to merge" idiots bother me, too. But there's a related behavior: they are also the ones who will speed up in the right lane when they are approaching a merge, trying to cut off the ramp traffic for whatever insane reason is in their little heads. :act060:

TarheelGrad1998
11-20-2010, 05:50 PM
OK, here's my newest: people who wait until the last minute to get in the lane they know they need to be in. Especially those who do it only so they can "get ahead" of a few cars, but only manage to slow everyone else down in the process.

Hits me every morning where the right lane of a two lane road turns off.

skycokid
11-20-2010, 06:36 PM
OK, here's my newest: people who wait until the last minute to get in the lane they know they need to be in. Especially those who do it only so they can "get ahead" of a few cars, but only manage to slow everyone else down in the process.

Hits me every morning where the right lane of a two lane road turns off.

Amen to that. I REFUSED to let some guy in a Dodge Ram "get ahead" of me. Pushing real hard on my ride side. Then, he rolled his window down and proceeded to sling a few profanities at me as if I was the creep. Forget that. I yelled at him to wait in line like the rest of us. He was kind of crazy though (suppose I was too at that moment) but that really ticked me off. Do not recommend trying this since road rage can be lethal. Damn! Just totally contradicted myself.:act047:

Duke fans. Any Dookies behind the wheel tick me off more than anything. For you THG98: Do you know what Duke women use as birth control? Their personalities.

Also, WHY does my wife insist on keeping the passenger sun visor down....ALL the time? Even on cloudy days, at night, whenever.... she has to have it down as if she cannot ride without it.

ridgelinematt
11-21-2010, 06:27 AM
Not sue if it's mentioned yet but

How about waiting until the last possible moment to merge over for lane closures during highway construction.

kwoodman
11-21-2010, 07:54 AM
How about people cutting in front of you at the last second with not even the signal on. You have to apply heavy brakes. Give a toot of the horn. And then you get the finger!

TarheelGrad1998
11-21-2010, 09:37 AM
Those both go with a general one. Everybody f's up on the road sometimes. But to f up and then flip somebody else the bird? Outrageous.

You're supposed to do the "I goofed" wave. Idiots.

bikerbudmatt
11-21-2010, 11:07 AM

How about waiting until the last possible moment to merge over for lane closures during highway construction.

Sorta disagree. That lane is open until it's closed. It actually slows down traffic to have everyone try to merge into the next lane over when they first see the sign that their lane will eventually close (say, a mile ahead).

But I agree that there is a wrong way to do it: waiting to merge until the driver has barriers literally three feet away from the front bumper. That's a PITA for everyone.

The right way is to maintain your lane when you see a lane closure advisory, then when you arrive at the sign that says (in effect) "merge now," to merge. Now. With a turn signal, and some eye contact.

That keeps traffic flowing for everyone.

John32070
11-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Seeing people driving Avalanche's and SportTrac's and wondering how they could not have considered a Ridgeline.

Cell phones attached to someone's ear bugs me, especially since I don't have to do anything but tap the on/off button on my bluetooth. Also don't like seeing people smoking in their vehicle, not only because I'm very anti-smoke but because I know what it's doing to the interior (stinky). And if you have a light out on your vehicle whether it's headlight, turn signal, brake, or side marker, fix it.

rakapur
11-22-2010, 11:30 AM
bastards that dont turn on the god damn ****in headlights OR EVEN THE DAMN PARKING LIGHTS when its foggy!!!! i swear next time i see one of you *******s i am going to turn right in front of you and sue the **** out of you!!!! :act047:

one of those bastards got me in an accident!! i no longer allow them in
Sorta disagree. That lane is open until it's closed. It actually slows down traffic to have everyone try to merge into the next lane over when they first see the sign that their lane will eventually close (say, a mile ahead).

But I agree that there is a wrong way to do it: waiting to merge until the driver has barriers literally three feet away from the front bumper. That's a PITA for everyone.

The right way is to maintain your lane when you see a lane closure advisory, then when you arrive at the sign that says (in effect) "merge now," to merge. Now. With a turn signal, and some eye contact.

you have signs like 3-4 miles back saying road closing merge left/right, but you gotta wait til you are 100 feet from the damn cones to start switching lanes!!!
And if you have a light out on your vehicle whether it's headlight, turn signal, brake, or side marker, fix it.
seriously! i cant count the about of cars i have seen and the brake lights dont even work! NONE OF THEM!!! how the hell havent they gotten pulled over! and if all 3 brake lights are out on a car and police see that the car SHOULD be towed it is not safe to be on the road!

bikerbudmatt
11-22-2010, 01:12 PM
bastards that dont turn on the god damn ****in headlights OR EVEN THE DAMN PARKING LIGHTS when its foggy!!!! i swear next time i see one of you *******s i am going to turn right in front of you and sue the **** out of you!!!! :act047:

one of those bastards got me in an accident!! i no longer allow them in

you have signs like 3-4 miles back saying road closing merge left/right, but you gotta wait til you are 100 feet from the damn cones to start switching lanes!!!

seriously! i cant count the about of cars i have seen and the brake lights dont even work! NONE OF THEM!!! how the hell havent they gotten pulled over! and if all 3 brake lights are out on a car and police see that the car SHOULD be towed it is not safe to be on the road!

Virginia sounds like a very stressful place to operate a vehicle. :act002:

rakapur
11-22-2010, 01:20 PM
Virginia sounds like a very stressful place to operate a vehicle. :act002:

easiest state to get your license, i dont know how it is in other states but in Virginia you go to the DMV take a written test (signs and some driving questions) and you get your learners, then after driving with a learners permit for a few months you take 7 day classes 1 hour of driving 1 hour of watching others drive. and here is the best part, if you take some driving class NOT through the county or DMV and fail YOU GET YOUR MONEY BACK!!!! so everyone that goes through independent driving instructors pass!!!

Chip Moody
11-22-2010, 03:02 PM
I'm with you there - unless you're the guy daydreaming in the passing lane with nary another car in front of you for miles. Then this is considered the "wake the eff up" call... :)

-Being passed by another driver who pulls back into my lane without leaving enough distance forcing me to back off.

I'll add:
- no turn signals.
- When you're already past the merge point where two lanes are coming together, you don't have anywhere near a car length between you and the car in front of you, yet some jagoff in the other lane thinks they're entitled to shoot halfway past the nose of your car and merge in front of you.
- People that stop with a significant (way beyond the "enough to turn & pull out") amount of space between them and the car in front, with no consideration of people behind them. So the guy a block back that's a foot short of being able to turn a corner has to wait for your stupid ass and the next green light before being able to turn.

Generally people that drive with zero consideration for others.

- Chip

rollinhonda
11-22-2010, 04:53 PM
Generally people that drive with zero consideration for others.

- Chip

Very true, they are either too busy texting to care, have control issues in the car they have yet to master (kids, pets, etc.), poor driving habits from the getgo, and then there's the other 90% who just don't give a damn, sad to say.

speedlever
11-22-2010, 05:10 PM
Speaking of broken taillights, I had one out and the only way I knew it was that a friend tailing me called me on my cell phone and told me about it. I can't remember if it was the brake or parking light.

Some of those are easy to operate with while broken and you won't even know it.

rakapur
11-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Speaking of broken taillights, I had one out and the only way I knew it was that a friend tailing me called me on my cell phone and told me about it. I can't remember if it was the brake or parking light.

Some of those are easy to operate with while broken and you won't even know it.

1 is ok, its understandable but all 3? and for the 3rd brake light car companies need to recall all of the cars to replace those with LEDs if they only have 1 bulb in them

TarheelGrad1998
11-22-2010, 05:52 PM
How about people who ride your a...ahem....tailpipe, all the way down the road, even though you're doing over the speed limit.

I go through a neighborhood every a.m. that's 35. This morning I'm going 40 and some bunghole is still all over my bumper. Come on, man!

I've been known to slow to a crawl on these occasions, but it's hard to do that when I need to get to work.

bikerbudmatt
11-22-2010, 06:02 PM
How about people who ride your a...ahem....tailpipe, all the way down the road, even though you're doing over the speed limit.

I go through a neighborhood every a.m. that's 35. This morning I'm going 40 and some bunghole is still all over my bumper. Come on, man!

I've been known to slow to a crawl on these occasions, but it's hard to do that when I need to get to work.

Just had it happen this afternoon. Posted limit 25, curvy town road, double yellow all the way. I'm probably 5 over, and a small Chevy SUV comes roaring up behind me with the Trifecta: was doing 50 or so in the 25 zone, is tailgating me, and is yakking away on the handheld cell phone. (Not legal in Connecticut, in case you have to ask :act064:)

Bonus points came when she tried to pass me THREE TIMES on that road, each time without looking for oncoming traffic (of which there was plenty, including a school bus). On that particular road, if it doesn't endanger me or other people, I will swerve a little to the left without crossing the line, just to warn the idiot it's not safe to pass—and to save some lives.

rakapur
11-22-2010, 06:25 PM

same **** happend with me a few weeks ago, i was coming home at night around 1 am, and some dumbass ricer in an Accord is on my ass (i cant even see his god damn ebay HIDs), im doing 55 in a 50 left lane, and this road we have a lot of deer accidents hence my being in the left lane furthest away from the woods, i slow to a crawl still tailing me, i got pissed gunned in slammed and lock the brakes, rice burner goes into the ditch :p :act035: dont **** with me, i can be a real bitch if im tired

ridgelinematt
11-23-2010, 05:16 AM
While driving through PA on Route 90, I had a woman in a Tahoe whom sped down the highway construction area before the merge and cut me off at the last second barely missing me.
She continued to ride the bumper of the driver in front of her the whole length of the zone. Once it was cleared of the last barrier, she changed lanes and was off.
This was in an area where there were multiple construction zones right after each other.
A couple miles down the road a Pennsylvania State Trooper had pulled her over.
AH! The look on her face was priceless.
That is one state where I wont dare speed through a construction zone.

MikeT
11-23-2010, 06:16 AM
I see teenagers and, yes sorry ladies, ladies of all ages driving with their smart phone in one hand and the other hand sometimes on the steering wheel. What happened to just driving the vehicle and paying attention.

Early this year in Texas, we had quite a bit of snow. I made a bit of money by parking by a local high school parking lot and watching these fools, with one hand holding a phone and the other steering go sliding into the ditches next to the roadway leading away from the school, then towing them out of said ditch.

It was classic to walk up to the car and see the dumb a$$es still talking on the phone after crashing. In each case I offered to pull them out for free if they gave me their cell phone batteries. Only one offered it up and I placed it in her trunk.

The brilliance of stupidity is that you can not prevent it by design, you can not fix it through education, and you can not avoid it through planning.

Please dear goodness, hang up and drive.

bluedge8
11-23-2010, 07:09 AM

someone passing 300 cars then wanting in because their lane has closed which they knew the whole time--- why do you think your time is so much more valuable than everyone else's. this would go for construction and permanent lane closures. If as soon as you see which lane is closed, work on getting into the open lane and EVERYONE will get through it quicker, but, if you only care about yourself go ahead and pass those 300 cars and then expect someone to allow you to merge. I personally for construction closures will try to get over as soon as I see which lane is closed and will allow others in at the same point- but not when they are at the barriers. this is not directed totally at you but I do get very annoyed about this. Also why do I see "everyone" complain about cell phone users (not texting) but yet I see thousands of people using them while I drive? I use a phone all the time while driving and for me it is no more difficult to do this than talk to someone sitting next to me. I mostly use bluetooth but am capable of holding a phone as well, that being said, some people probably can't handle it and probably just shouldn't be driving. Oh, and people going 10mph less than you suddenly traveling at the same speed or greater when you try to pass:act047:

TarheelGrad1998
11-23-2010, 07:13 AM
I see teenagers and, yes sorry ladies, ladies of all ages driving with their smart phone in one hand and the other hand sometimes on the steering wheel. What happened to just driving the vehicle and paying attention.

Guys do it too. It's predominant for some reason. By my estimation, 80% of folks do it (even if they THINK they don't). I sat at a light once and watched 5 or 6 left turners in front of me all with the phone glued to the side of their head.

chisoxjim
11-23-2010, 08:17 AM
-keepers of the speed aka left lane bandits
-texters
-chicks putting on makeup while driving
-slobs eating while driving
-semis in the left lane
-hybrid drivers

cdepuydt
11-23-2010, 09:00 AM
-keepers of the speed aka left lane bandits
-texters
-chicks putting on makeup while driving
-slobs eating while driving
-semis in the left lane
-hybrid drivers

All those and I would like to add...

-people who don't know how to merge onto a highway (you know, the ones who have no concept of what 'getting up to traffic speed' is)
-people who close the gap between cars when I am merging onto a highway (you know, you pick a gap, try to match speed so you can merge in there and, just as you get to the end of the on-ramp, they close the gap so you can't get in)
-people who pass you, pull back into the lane you are in, and then slow down
-people who don't know what a blinker is. Remember YOU are the only one who knows what the freak YOU are gonna do
-people who pull up right to your bumper, when you are in the left lane and, when you pull into the right lane to let them by, the pull into the right lane with you. OK, either pass or GTF off my bumper!!!!
-people who speed in 25 MPH zones, especially around schools, and in neighborhoods where there are lots of kids/pets.
-to add to the hybrid drivers...hybrid drivers who drive 10 MPH the speed limit in the left lane. OK, fine, you want to save the planet, more power to you...but do it in the right lane!
-old people driving in general. OK, you're retired...do you really have to be driving slow, in the left lane, during rush hour?!?! You got all day to be driving around getting you prescriptions or whatever...do you really need to be out on the roads during the busiest part of the day?!?!?
-people who think if they keep rolling at a 4-way stop, they can go whenever they freak they want. Hey jack-wagon...wait your turn!!!
-people with their music so loud it makes your vehicle vibrate while you are sitting at a stop light. Hey, jack-wagon...if I liked the music you are playing, I would have bought the CD and I would be listening to it in my own vehicle...turn it down! Oh yeah....and you kids...get the heck off my lawn! :act024:

TheDude
11-23-2010, 09:22 AM
When you're in traffic and someone is slowing down traffic, and you finally pass them and it's some chick talking on the phone about getting her nails done.

when someone passes you on the left and then pulls in front of you and slows down, slower than you were previously going.

When people turn on their windshield wiper fluid right in front of you and dirty up your car and windshield. Jerk Move.

bikerbudmatt
11-23-2010, 09:44 AM
someone passing 300 cars then wanting in because their lane has closed which they knew the whole time--- why do you think your time is so much more valuable than everyone else's. this would go for construction and permanent lane closures. If as soon as you see which lane is closed, work on getting into the open lane and EVERYONE will get through it quicker, but, if you only care about yourself go ahead and pass those 300 cars and then expect someone to allow you to merge. I personally for construction closures will try to get over as soon as I see which lane is closed and will allow others in at the same point- but not when they are at the barriers. this is not directed totally at you but I do get very annoyed about this.

Again, respectfully, I disagree. If, for example, on a 3-lane highway, everyone maintains their lane until they are told to merge (by which I do not mean "wait until they reach the cones or the barriers"), everyone keeps moving. If on the other hand everyone starts their merge two miles before the lane closes (and we often get that much warning, at least here), traffic in the merged lane slows to a crawl or a standstill. I will not dispute this with anyone, because I've spent thousands of miles and hundreds of hours analyzing it. (Connecticut kinda gives a guy plenty of opportunities to do that. :act006: )

Where I do agree with you is about the jerk who weaves in and out of the lanes, comes right up to the barriers, and then expects everyone to yield. That is both oblivious and selfish behavior, and I don't like it any more than you.

Refusing to allow other drivers to merge might help you feel like you've scored some personal points, but it's dangerous and exposes you to liability (especially if it's a merge from the left, where the other driver is technically passing and you are required to yield).

I think we can both agree that a cellphone-wielding, lane-weaving, last-minute-merging jerk is nobody's idea of a good driver.

Humble Pie
11-23-2010, 10:17 AM
All those and I would like to add...

-people who don't know how to merge onto a highway (you know, the ones who have no concept of what 'getting up to traffic speed' is)
-people who close the gap between cars when I am merging onto a highway (you know, you pick a gap, try to match speed so you can merge in there and, just as you get to the end of the on-ramp, they close the gap so you can't get in)
-people who pass you, pull back into the lane you are in, and then slow down
-people who don't know what a blinker is. Remember YOU are the only one who knows what the freak YOU are gonna do
-people who pull up right to your bumper, when you are in the left lane and, when you pull into the right lane to let them by, the pull into the right lane with you. OK, either pass or GTF off my bumper!!!!
-people who speed in 25 MPH zones, especially around schools, and in neighborhoods where there are lots of kids/pets.
-to add to the hybrid drivers...hybrid drivers who drive 10 MPH the speed limit in the left lane. OK, fine, you want to save the planet, more power to you...but do it in the right lane!
-old people driving in general. OK, you're retired...do you really have to be driving slow, in the left lane, during rush hour?!?! You got all day to be driving around getting you prescriptions or whatever...do you really need to be out on the roads during the busiest part of the day?!?!?
-people who think if they keep rolling at a 4-way stop, they can go whenever they freak they want. Hey jack-wagon...wait your turn!!!
-people with their music so loud it makes your vehicle vibrate while you are sitting at a stop light. Hey, jack-wagon...if I liked the music you are playing, I would have bought the CD and I would be listening to it in my own vehicle...turn it down! Oh yeah....and you kids...get the heck off my lawn! :act024:

Everything you and Jim said......especially people who run stop signs....+ when you kids get out of my yard, take your dog and dog s*** with you!

blueridgeline
11-23-2010, 01:53 PM
door dings, park in the middle of nowhere and they still find me.
North east CT is filled with crazy people going to the indian casinos, I find myself taking secondary roads more times than not just to avoid the living dead on their way to give away their money.

Chip Moody
11-23-2010, 02:01 PM
I'm going to likewise respectfully disagree here. The still-open-before-the-cones lane is there for a reason. The guy passing 300 cars isn't doing anything wrong - the only thing the people he's passed should be upset about is not having taken advantage of usable road.

If the construction crew needed the merge to take place further up the road for safety reasons, that's where they would have put the cones. :)

- Chip

someone passing 300 cars then wanting in because their lane has closed which they knew the whole time

chisoxjim
11-23-2010, 02:26 PM
I dont know about the whole construction/lane closing thing.

If you see signs that say for example: "right lane closed 2 miles ahead". A smart driver takes notice and starts to plan for this. The jag waits till the last minute. The folks that force their way in at the last second before the lane closes are the ones who cause the backups vs a smooth transition to the less lanes.

bikerbudmatt
11-23-2010, 03:08 PM
If you see signs that say for example: "right lane closed 2 miles ahead". A smart driver takes notice and starts to plan for this. The jag waits till the last minute. The folks that force their way in at the last second before the lane closes are the ones who cause the backups vs a smooth transition to the less lanes.
Yup. The idea is to be aware of it and plan for it, just so that you don't become the intrusion at the last second.

And someone who lands on the barriers and then forces their way in AND flips the bird to whoever is someone who wasn't paying attention.

gdot
11-23-2010, 04:17 PM
someone passing 300 cars then wanting in because their lane has closed which they knew the whole time--- why do you think your time is so much more valuable than everyone else's. this would go for construction and permanent lane closures. If as soon as you see which lane is closed, work on getting into the open lane and EVERYONE will get through it quicker, but, if you only care about yourself go ahead and pass those 300 cars and then expect someone to allow you to merge. I personally for construction closures will try to get over as soon as I see which lane is closed and will allow others in at the same point- but not when they are at the barriers. this is not directed totally at you but I do get very annoyed about this. Also why do I see "everyone" complain about cell phone users (not texting) but yet I see thousands of people using them while I drive? I use a phone all the time while driving and for me it is no more difficult to do this than talk to someone sitting next to me. I mostly use bluetooth but am capable of holding a phone as well, that being said, some people probably can't handle it and probably just shouldn't be driving. Oh, and people going 10mph less than you suddenly traveling at the same speed or greater when you try to pass:act047:

I also have to disagree. When it's bumper to bumper traffic, if everybody waits until the end to merge there is only one point of merging traffic. There you have one person merge in front of you and one person behind. If someone merges prior to it there are an infinite number of points to merge. When/where does someone and others stop letting people in not to mention how many. If someone follows the one person in front and one person behind rule by the time they get to the cones/end of lanes, they could have let at least 2 cars in and the car in front of you let at least 2 cars in and so forth.

I dont know about the whole construction/lane closing thing.

I totally agree when traffic is flowing, but it's different when it's a bumper to bumper situation.

gdot
11-23-2010, 04:19 PM
Another pet peeve is when a row of cars are all driving the same speed across a highway

AlexRTS
11-28-2010, 11:31 PM
Broken turn signals.. i.e the ones that flash ridiculously fast. just get it fixed! Also, the person who slows WAY down in the driving lane, and THEN moves over into the left turn lane.. Change lanes and THEN slow down

dk miller
11-29-2010, 06:33 AM
A pox on people who fail to secure their loads.

Ian Brantford
11-29-2010, 10:02 AM
A pox on people who fail to secure their loads.

+1. I have had to brake, swerve and accelerate around a large shelving unit that was travelling (by itself, scraping along with debris flyin) at about 40 MPH in the passing lane. That's something that you don't see every day, but it had just blown off of a very rickety trailer that someone was using to haul it. Friends in the truck complimented me on the emergency manouvre.

Also, the trailer had those tiny hardware-store wheels that have no business being towed at highway speeds. So, if the load had not bailed out of the trailer, the trailer itself probably would have soon seized a wheel and taken the entire vehicle (a small car) out of control.

rakapur
11-29-2010, 10:12 AM
While driving through PA on Route 90, I had a woman in a Tahoe whom sped down the highway construction area before the merge and cut me off at the last second barely missing me.
She continued to ride the bumper of the driver in front of her the whole length of the zone. Once it was cleared of the last barrier, she changed lanes and was off.
This was in an area where there were multiple construction zones right after each other.
A couple miles down the road a Pennsylvania State Trooper had pulled her over.
AH! The look on her face was priceless.
That is one state where I wont dare speed through a construction zone.
lol i love seeing that happen, and add a beep of the horn and a finger :act010:

cdepuydt
11-29-2010, 12:11 PM
Another thing I hate…and it happened to me this very am on the way into work….

You are in the left lane, traveling with the speed of traffic, slowly passing the traffic in the right lane…because the lead car in the left lane is going about 3-4 MPH faster than the traffic in the right lane (that's another thing I hate...if you are in the left lane to pass the cars in the right lane...then pass!!!!). Then you have somebody who comes up fast behind you in the left lane, they go into the right lane, they fly up to the bumper of the last car in the row of cars you are passing, and then they try to get back into the left lane.

Some jack-wagon tried to pull this on me this morning. I saw what he was doing, so I closed up the gap between me and the car in front of me so he couldn’t get in. After I passed him, he jerked his car back into left lane, and then flipped me off. Like I was the one being the jack-wagon. Did I feel bad…ahhh…nope!!! :act024:

davedad
11-29-2010, 12:44 PM
people who don't give you a wave or nod when you let them into traffic from a side street or driveway, They just feel it's there right to pull out in front of you.

texting.

rakapur
11-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Another thing I hate…and it happened to me this very am on the way into work….

You are in the left lane, traveling with the speed of traffic, slowly passing the traffic in the right lane…because the lead car in the left lane is going about 3-4 MPH faster than the traffic in the right lane (that's another thing I hate...if you are in the left lane to pass the cars in the right lane...then pass!!!!). Then you have somebody who comes up fast behind you in the left lane, they go into the right lane, they fly up to the bumper of the last car in the row of cars you are passing, and then they try to get back into the left lane.

Some jack-wagon tried to pull this on me this morning. I saw what he was doing, so I closed up the gap between me and the car in front of me so he couldn’t get in. After I passed him, he jerked his car back into left lane, and then flipped me off. Like I was the one being the jack-wagon. Did I feel bad…ahhh…nope!!! :act024:
lol i see people doing that all the time NEVER let them in! i sometimes have a little fun with them and slow down then speed up.... and i make sure they hear my engine and i try to make it look like im not doing it on purpose :act035: never piss off someone that has way to much time on there hands :act060:

cdepuydt
11-29-2010, 02:39 PM
people who don't give you a wave or nod when you let them into traffic from a side street or driveway, They just feel it's there right to pull out in front of you.

texting.

Yep, with you on both of these.

As of Wednesday, texting behind the wheel, will be illegal here in WI. I mean, that's great, that they took the time to pass the legislation making it illegal and all...but wouldn't this fall under "distracted driving", which is already covered under the law here in WI? Our state budget is $3 Billion in the hole (WI has more state debt per capita than California...and we all know how screwed up that state is), shouldn't they be spending their time a little more productively and try to get their financial house in order instead of worrying about people texting while they are driving....? I dunno...obviously not...

speedlever
11-29-2010, 04:50 PM

As of Wednesday, texting behind the wheel, will be illegal here in WI. I mean, that's great, that they took the time to pass the legislation making it illegal and all...but wouldn't this fall under "distracted driving", which is already covered under the law here in WI? Our state budget is $3 Billion in the hole (WI has more state debt per capita than California...and we all know how screwed up that state is), shouldn't they be spending their time a little more productively and try to get their financial house in order instead of worrying about people texting while they are driving....? I dunno...obviously not...

Yeah. They're just going for the easy pickings. Too hard to do real and meaningful work.

davedad
11-29-2010, 05:44 PM
It is illegal to text while driving or even talk on a cell phone while driving unless you have a hands free device, however, in this great state of NY, you can only be ticketed for texting if you get stopped for something else like speeding, following to close etc. This law has no teeth, a state trooper I know said that if your texting while driving and a cop sees you they can not stop you, but they probably will find some reason too, like no seatbelts exceeding the speed limit by 1mph etc.

roakey
11-29-2010, 06:02 PM
It is illegal to text while driving or even talk on a cell phone while driving unless you have a hands free device, however, in this great state of NY, you can only be ticketed for texting if you get stopped for something else like speeding, following to close etc. This law has no teeth, a state trooper I know said that if your texting while driving and a cop sees you they can not stop you, but they probably will find some reason too, like no seatbelts exceeding the speed limit by 1mph etc.
This is "The camel's nose under the tent" approach. I give you five years at the outside and texting while driving will be a primary offense in NY.

This has happened enough that you'd think folks would catch on by now...

Roak

TarheelGrad1998
11-29-2010, 07:17 PM

They have to pass the law because there are jackwagons who think they can do that fine while driving, and if otherwise confronted with it, they just say "well, it's not illegal".

It's unfortunate that you have to pass laws like this. But...you just have to.

Humble Pie
11-30-2010, 07:58 AM
Tis the season.......I don't have specific metrics to justify this, but has anyone noticed a spike in bad drivers recently?......in the last week I have seen some of the most stupid driving decisions I have seen in a while......

Also, just to add the comments on drivers lack of planning, I think that hits the nail on the head......planning should be continuous.....meaning always monitoring your surroundings.....know your "outs".......anticipate situations....

Ian Brantford
11-30-2010, 08:27 AM
Tis the season.......I don't have specific metrics to justify this, but has anyone noticed a spike in bad drivers recently?......in the last week I have seen some of the most stupid driving decisions I have seen in a while......

'Tis the season for frustration from gift shopping, being behind schedule because of the extra traffic trying to get to/from said shopping, and so forth. I felt the temptation myself the other day when I did not leave enough extra time just while driving by two shopping centers.

On the other hand, we had our first freezing rain of the season on Friday and the traffic Saturday was extremely civilised. My guess is that the uncivilised drivers (and a few of their victims) had their cars off the road and parked at auto body repair establishments.

bikerbudmatt
11-30-2010, 09:37 AM
'Tis the season for frustration from gift shopping, being behind schedule because of the extra traffic trying to get to/from said shopping, and so forth. I felt the temptation myself the other day when I did not leave enough extra time just while driving by two shopping centers.

On the other hand, we had our first freezing rain of the season on Friday and the traffic Saturday was extremely civilised. My guess is that the uncivilised drivers (and a few of their victims) had their cars off the road and parked at auto body repair establishments.
+1. Stress, combined with people who are perfectly fine human beings but who have little experience with the kind of "route driving" that gift-shopping entails, means that driving this time of year is a challenge.

rakapur
11-30-2010, 12:13 PM
1. stupid idiots that dont know how to drive at a stop sign.... heres a freakin clue if you are the first one at the 4 way stop and everyone is looking at you your move!!!!
2. *******s that cut through parking spaces to cut someone off
3. *******s that speed and blow through one of bs stop signs and cut you off
4. *******s that go the wrong way in parking garages
5. *******s that sit at a stop sign going to the major road and wait til the last second to go (when they had at least 30 seconds gap!) and make the people behind them have to wait for another gap!!!

yes i had a very bad day so far :act047:

speedlever
11-30-2010, 01:10 PM
Ah yes. I knew who the poster was by just seeing all the asterisks in the preview!

Heh!

Cajun Country Ridgeline
11-30-2010, 01:35 PM
It is probably already posted, but my pet peeve is the driver on a side road wanting to get out on the hwy and they see you coming and wait until the last second and they pull out and make no attempt to get out of the way.

If you cant judge distance between you and the oncoming vehicle, at least try to get on down the road as fast as you can.:act047::act047:

rakapur
11-30-2010, 03:03 PM
Ah yes. I knew who the poster was by just seeing all the asterisks in the preview!

Heh!

lol people piss me off, seriously drive here in northern virginia and you will see even the cops cant drive!
It is probably already posted, but my pet peeve is the driver on a side road wanting to get out on the hwy and they see you coming and wait until the last second and they pull out and make no attempt to get out of the way.

If you cant judge distance between you and the oncoming vehicle, at least try to get on down the road as fast as you can.:act047::act047:
i hate when people do that, the other day some dumb old guy (no offense to any old people) hauling some crap in his F150 pulled out as i was trying to pass someone in the right lane (yeah dumbass doing 45 on the parkway left lane :act060:) the guy pulls in less then 10 cars from me (im doing a little over 50) quick decision lay on the horn gun it and jerk the wheel to the left!! i think i made the old dude crap himself he swerved into the shoulder and drove on it very slowly

seriously some people should not have licenses, you should have to renew your license every year! you are in control of a big heavy bomb