Car Stereo Mods [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: Car Stereo Mods

bongus
03-15-2005, 11:10 PM
Has anyone attempted to upgrade the stock speakers? Generally, replacing the existing speakers with aftermarket speakers will improve the sound. In some cases, owners have also added external amps to get the most out of the new aftermarket speakers. It would be neat to see if anyone has tried this.

bongus
03-18-2005, 04:36 PM
I was browsing the MP3 unit for the Ridgeline and I noticed that the unit on other Hondas (Odyssey '05 and Accord '05) share the same part number as the one for the RL. If this is the case then the 14-pin connection bus on the Odyssey and Accord should be the same on the Ridgeline. Does anyone agree with me on this or am I off my rocker.
I've purchased the P.I.E. auxiliary adapter converter that works for the '05 Odyssey. If my above assumption is correct about the 14-pin bus on the RL headunit then the P.I.E. adapter should work and I should have an a new auxiliary input for my stock RL radio. The only thing is that I'm not sure how to activate the auxiliary function. Right now when I press the CD/AUX button the cd changer starts to play. If I press the button again, nothing happens. Again, I'm breaking ground here but if things work the way I think it should work, a second press of the CD/AUX button should activate my soon to be connected P.I.E. adapter. I will keep everyone posted on this. If all goes well then this will be an exciting development especially for those that are considering adding an external MP3 player (e.g. iPods, Creative Zens, Rio Players, etc...) to their RL without having to buy the model with the Navi.

BamaRidge
03-18-2005, 11:09 PM
That's good news about the 14 pin connector. The aux won't work until you have installed the adapter. After you install the adapter you will see "CDC" displayed instead of CD disk- track number (CD 1-01 for example) when the Aux button is cycled.

bongus
03-21-2005, 02:50 PM
That's good news about the 14 pin connector. The aux won't work until you have installed the adapter. After you install the adapter you will see "CDC" displayed instead of CD disk- track number (CD 1-01 for example) when the Aux button is cycled.

Thanks for the information. It sounds like you have had experience with the AUX button on Hondas. I did some investigating last night and I pulled my headunit out. I think I might be in trouble. there does not appear to be an available 14-pin connector in the back of my headunit. There are 4 possible connections, just like the installation manual shows. But in my case, all four already have connections on them. I have the RTL with sunroof (which means I also have the XM built in). I beginning to think this is what the setup consists of: Main bus, antenna connection, XM connection and CD changer connection. What irks me is the mp3 player available as an option shows an availble connection in the rear of the headunit. If you look at the installation instructions for the mp3 player, in step 4 of the instructions, it tells you disconnect the vehicle connectors (It shows 4 of them one of them being the hazard button). Only three of the connectors pertain to the radio. Then if you look at Step 13 (note in this step the mp3 player bus cable has already been connected to the headunit), there are only two connections added to the radio. What happened to the third? It appears that the connection closest to the main 20 pin connector removed in Step 4 has been replaced by the mp3 unit. My question is where does the one that was disconnected now connect to after installing the mp3 unit? Hopefully someone could clear my confusion. I'll keep doing my tinkering and I will keep everyone posted. Maybe the mp3 unit is not intended for use with the headunit that has the XM radio built-in?

BamaRidge
03-21-2005, 10:14 PM
I took a look at the MP3 instructions. Although it is not explained very well, the original 14 pin connector connects to the bottom of the MP3. The MP3 is then connected to the HU by the 14pin connector that came with the kit.

The 14 pin connector in my TSX/navi was occupied by the 6 disk cd changer. A guy named Mojo on the TSX forum came up with a work around which I used successfully to add a Snhond3 adapter and keep the 6 disk changer in my TSX. Here's the some links.

http://www.chrishorne.com/gallery/SNHOND3

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3148

bongus
03-21-2005, 10:39 PM
I took a look at the MP3 instructions. Although it is not explained very well, the original 14 pin connector connects to the bottom of the MP3. The MP3 is then connected to the HU by the 14pin connector that came with the kit.

The 14 pin connector in my TSX/navi was occupied by the 6 disk cd changer. A guy named Mojo on the TSX forum came up with a work around which I used successfully to add a Snhond3 adapter and keep the 6 disk changer in my TSX. Here's the some links.

http://www.chrishorne.com/gallery/SNHOND3

http://tsx.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3148

Thanks for the reply. I ordered my auxiliary input adapter from Logjam Electronics. I went the this model (http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehon03pcpiox.html). I hope it works. I also purchased this item. (http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piepioprca.html) Now that I know the original 14-pin should connect to the mp3 player, it looks like if I disconnect that 14-pin connector and add this adapter, I will lose functionality of one of the features of my stock radio since there is no 14-pin connector on the adapter. Any thoughts BamaRidge?

BamaRidge
03-21-2005, 11:20 PM
Bongus, if you disconnect the 14 pin connector from your HU you will no longer have factory XM capability. What exactly do you plan to add to your HU.

bongus
03-22-2005, 08:21 AM
Bongus, if you disconnect the 14 pin connector from your HU you will no longer have factory XM capability. What exactly do you plan to add to your HU.

Here is the product. (http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1458711/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046) Have you heard of it? It's basically an MP3 player that looks more like part of the radio. I figured it looked better than an iPod in the center console. Also I believe the silver look will match well. What do you think?

BamaRidge
03-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Looks pretty cool Bongus, I have not seen that product before. I take it the output is a Pioneer Bus. Be sure and let us know how the install goes.

bongus
03-22-2005, 11:04 AM
Looks pretty cool Bongus, I have not seen that product before. I take it the output is a Pioneer Bus. Be sure and let us know how the install goes.

The output is your standard RCA. So all I need is an appropriate auxiliary input adapter and should be good to go.

shovelhd
03-22-2005, 05:52 PM
bongus,

I have found zero information about the Ridgeline aftermarket stereo options. If the system is similar to the one in the Pilot, then the doors hold 6.5" speakers I believe. That's a good size for a drop-in upgrade. Other than that, I have yet to see a metra kit or other aftermarket replacement dash plate. Without that, you're talking 100% custom.

I'm going to try the stock one for a while before I do anything. Unlike my Ranger, where the first week I had the whole interior gutted to install Dynamat

bongus
03-22-2005, 08:05 PM
bongus,

I have found zero information about the Ridgeline aftermarket stereo options. If the system is similar to the one in the Pilot, then the doors hold 6.5" speakers I believe. That's a good size for a drop-in upgrade. Other than that, I have yet to see a metra kit or other aftermarket replacement dash plate. Without that, you're talking 100% custom.

I'm going to try the stock one for a while before I do anything. Unlike my Ranger, where the first week I had the whole interior gutted to install Dynamat

I'm beginning to think that might be my predicament as well. I'll try what I have so far and hopefully it works.

rtpjunior
03-23-2005, 10:47 AM
Thanks for the reply. I ordered my auxiliary input adapter from Logjam Electronics. I went the this model (http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piehon03pcpiox.html). I hope it works. I also purchased this item. (http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piepioprca.html) Now that I know the original 14-pin should connect to the mp3 player, it looks like if I disconnect that 14-pin connector and add this adapter, I will lose functionality of one of the features of my stock radio since there is no 14-pin connector on the adapter. Any thoughts BamaRidge?

In the desciption of the item you listed, it says it will not work with factory in-dash 6-cd changers. Since you have the RTL, it follows that you also have the cd changer. Do you think it will still work ?? I have an RTS with the in-dash changer, and I want to hook up my SIRIUS radio to the AUX input. All I need is an RCA input, which is what I think you are trying to do as well. PLEASE let us know how you made out, I hate using the FM modulator..........

kanji
04-04-2005, 05:57 PM
does anyone knows what's the size of the speaker in the door's??
Since most of the company like www.crutchfield.com doesn't have their data base updated for 2006 model what fits area. Is it 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 speakers?
I'm wondering if i can transplant my current speakers in my car to the new RL when i buy mine.

bongus
04-04-2005, 06:19 PM
Hello Kanji, I've hit a dead end on this subject. I think the only way to be sure is to remove the door panel and measure the speaker. I know you'd hate to do this but it appears to be the only option unless someone speaks up about the speaker size. I was looking at my door panels last weekend and it looks like it might separate in two pieces. I'm in contact with a Honda technician that is supposed to give me the wiring diagram for the radio and instructions on how to remove the door panels...still waiting on him. I'll keep everyone posted on this.

kanji
04-04-2005, 09:58 PM
thanx bongus, yes i think i may want to transplant my current speakers Harmon Kardon speakers to the RL once i get mine. From the Test drive while playing a cd that i almost always listen to sounded pretty good, couldn't hit the highs and the tone of mids sound flat, overall its livable. If its the wrong size i may have to upgrade it later to Infinity's or Alpine without adding an amp. If an amp is a must then move it up to Bose speaker or Harmon Kardon speakers component speakers.