New wireless router [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: New wireless router

Cowboysfan
02-23-2011, 11:37 AM
I'm in the process of trying to find an easy to set up and reliable home wireless router. My current router is a Netgear WPN824 Rangemax and it is starting to have issues. Primarily, its about 5+ years old and its starting to drop connections on a fairly regular basis. I am currently looking at the Cisco Valet Plus router. It appears to be an easy set up and user friendly for a basic computer user like me. I was checking to see if anyone has this product and your experience. I don't want to be swayed by the positive reviews if they differ from reality. The main computer this router will be attached to is currently running Windows Vista 64 bit. Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated.

25 Year Honda Owner
02-23-2011, 11:54 AM
I am using one of the low end Netgears, WGR614. I have had no issues. Running Vista here also.

chiph
02-23-2011, 01:49 PM
Just replaced an ancient WRT-54G with a Netgear WNDR3700. Huge difference in speed!

So far so good - it's been reliable with my Vonage VOIP box and heavy WoW gaming.

Chip H.

rollinhonda
02-23-2011, 02:02 PM
I had the 'need for speed' N speed 2 years ago and have not looked back since..
Running a D-Link DIR-655 router. I have Phone Power for VOIP and have been very pleased with that also. One desktop on Windows XP and 2 notebooks with Win 7, only the desktop is hard line into the router. Everything else including Pandora, Netflix, etc. is wireless.

larryr
02-23-2011, 02:25 PM
I have had good luck with all the Gigabyte D-link routers - expensive but worth it.

Avoid the D-link DIR-601 router that most office supply places sell on special for $29.95 - 2 of the 3 I have installed have random lockup on the wireless side - the wired side worked well but you have to unplug and plug back in the 601 about every 8 hours.

The cheap Belkin router that Walmart sells has had no problems on the 3 I have installed.

nchinetti
02-23-2011, 02:30 PM
Just replaced an ancient WRT-54G with a Netgear WNDR3700. Huge difference in speed!

So far so good - it's been reliable with my Vonage VOIP box and heavy WoW gaming.

Chip H.

+1 for the WNDR3700

I've been using one for close to a year for my home network and the performance has been excellent. I have been a hardcore Cisco guy in my professional life deploying tens of millions of $$$ worth worldwide, but I've always found their home products to be lacking compared to competitors such as Netgear. I've had bad luck with poor DLink product reliability and even poorer customer service in both professional and home implementations, so I won't go there no matter how good the spec sheets look.

An option worthy of considering is to get a Fon router (http://corp.fon.com/en/products/) and setup a Fon Spot. Once you become a Fon member (by operating a Fon Spot router), you will have free wifi access to all Fon Spots worldwide (including ones operated by partners such as BT). I just got a Fonera 2.0N and it looks like a well-designed and well-built unit. Join the movement and support open Internet access!

NoRegrets78
02-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Linksys WRT160n running DD-WRT firmware. By far the fastest and most stable router I have ever used. Takes a bit of config getting it running and if you don't feel comfortable I wouldn't do it yourself, but if you have a techie friend that knows how its worth it.

chiph
02-23-2011, 03:16 PM
The nice thing about the WNDR3700 is that it runs DD-WRT for it's OS. So if I ever get tired of the Netgear customized version, I can install the latest from the open source site. I couldn't do that with the WRT-54G as it was a "C" revision and didn't have enough memory.

Chip H.

NoRegrets78
02-23-2011, 03:41 PM
The nice thing about the WNDR3700 is that it runs DD-WRT for it's OS. So if I ever get tired of the Netgear customized version, I can install the latest from the open source site. I couldn't do that with the WRT-54G as it was a "C" revision and didn't have enough memory.

Chip H.

Didn't know that! Good stuff! I've been a linksys user forever and just never switched since the ones I've had have worked without too much issue but the WRT160N used to drop wireless connectivity to our ipod touches constantly. Once I upgraded to a DD-WRT firmware it's been flawless.

Next router will be a gigabit and I'm probably going to pick up the Netgear. Thanks for that!

zroger73
02-23-2011, 04:07 PM
I love my Apple AirPort Extreme. :D

bikerbudmatt
02-24-2011, 10:20 AM
The scoop on the Valet is that it was designed by the Flip Video team (Cisco bought Flip, and now it looks like they're selling it again); it was meant to be one-button easy to set up, but it's still a router and if you have any exceptions in your setup it could be more difficult.

I use Apple Airport Extreme and the Airport Express as an extender, and get great results. Some folks don't like them because they can't get past the fruit logo, but they are top-notch for me.

Cowboysfan
03-04-2011, 07:23 PM
**UPDATE** I went with the Cisco Valet Plus. I just spent 2 hours on the phone with Cisco Tech Support because there was software issues. Needless to say the past ten minutes were spent boxing the router and its going back to the store. I purchased it under the guise that it was simple to use, kind of a "plug and play". We when the techie said she was going to handle me off to the next level of support, I said no thanks. I bought this to avoid going into the guts of my computer and monkeying around. I just wanted an easy to use, user friendly item. Oh well back to the drawing board! I'm not going to bad mouth the product, it just didn't work for me.

roakey
03-07-2011, 11:05 AM
I recently got a Linksys E2000 (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Cisco-Expert-E2000-Selectable-Dual-Band-Wireless-N-Router/14066654). I immediately loaded it with DD-WRT's (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index) open-source code and it's run flawlessly. You do need to be a wee bit techie for this, however.

Note: I live in a "quiet" wi-fi area, with only a couple other networks visible.

Roak

jpepper
03-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Have been using Belkin gear for 7 years now with 3 units purchased and all operating with up to 20 users on at one time.
Yes, occasional drops in service but very rare and their "n" unit does the job as advertised.
Am not tech savvy but am very satisfied with the Belkin set-up and support!!!

Cowboysfan
03-07-2011, 01:03 PM
I am not techie by any stretch of the imagination. I read all the replies (thanks for taking the time) and I went with the DLink DIR-655. I started in and was unable to load the enclosed cd software. Needless to say, my blood pressure went sky high. I called DLink tech support and within about 15 minutes I was up and running. I have 1 pc, 3 laptops, 1 PS3 and a HP wireless printer all on the network and all are working without any problems (two days and counting).

chiph
03-07-2011, 02:26 PM
If you can help it, never run the software that comes with a router. You should be able to connect to it by entering it's IP address and configuring it that way. The CD usually has a bunch of junk and shovel-ware on it that you don't really need.

Chip H.

wrenrj1
03-07-2011, 02:31 PM
First things first, update your OS to Windows 7 or get a copy of XP. No problem with my Lynksys however it's about 5 years old. I've got on my desk an Apple airport that I'll install in the next few days. I run an iMac, but have three laptops that hook up to the network as well.

laserguy
03-12-2011, 01:58 PM
I have a linksys wrt54GP2 G type hooked to a computer with XP. it is like over 10 years old. Works OK wired to a computer and like 60 feet away Xbox that is wired.

Wifi is not reliable, we just need to disconnect the router to get it going. I also have vonage since the router has phone ports.

Will I be better off getting a type N router? but I would need something in the computer to make it work with a N type router. What and how much extra aprox to make my computer work with a N type router?

Assuming I go with a cheap Walmart $35.00 G net gear type WGR614 since I do not want to to spend $80 to $130 on a better G or N router.

How would I go about hooking up the phone lines for Vonage if the router does not have phone jacks? Same thing goes for Att dsl they provide their modem/routers if I switch to them but no phone jacks for Vonage.

Lingered_I
03-12-2011, 03:39 PM
I have an aversion to Netgear products ever since I tried to use the SC101 storage device they used to make. Absolute junk, with even worse support. So no Netgear for me.

I'm currently running a LinkSys WRT310N router tied to a Motorola Surfboard eXtreme cable modem. My home network might be more complicated than most - Ooma Telo IP phone service (wired), 3 TiVo's (2 wired, one wireless), Q-See CCTV DVR (wired), Axis 214 IP camera (wired), PS3 (wired) Nintendo Wii (wireless), XBox (wired) and two PC's wired - plus iPad and two iPhones (wireless of course). I run gigabit throughout for wired, and B, G and N for the wireless - my Series 2 TiVo can only handle B.

The Ooma box is interesting because they recommend that you place it between your router and modem, but as it's a router itself, all my internal IP addresses changed. I didn't want that as I do port forwarding for my cameras so I can get to them from the internet therefore I set the Ooma up hang off my router and configured the router with QoS settings to guarantee priority to phone traffic. So far it's working well. The WRT310N firmware also has built in DNS update service so if you have a dynamic IP address (common for DSL users) and maintain an internet address using someone like dyndns.org, it will tell them when your IP address changes, so that your internet url will continue to work.

TL;DR - Linksys WRT310N

Also, ask me anything about Ooma Telo IP phones - I'm loving free phone service.

chiph
03-12-2011, 06:11 PM
I have a linksys wrt54GP2 G type hooked to a computer with XP. it is like over 10 years old. Works OK wired to a computer and like 60 feet away Xbox that is wired.

Wifi is not reliable, we just need to disconnect the router to get it going. I also have vonage since the router has phone ports.

Will I be better off getting a type N router? but I would need something in the computer to make it work with a N type router. What and how much extra aprox to make my computer work with a N type router?

Assuming I go with a cheap Walmart $35.00 G net gear type WGR614 since I do not want to to spend $80 to $130 on a better G or N router.

How would I go about hooking up the phone lines for Vonage if the router does not have phone jacks? Same thing goes for Att dsl they provide their modem/routers if I switch to them but no phone jacks for Vonage.

I have Vonage too, and I have a small box from Vonage that has phone jacks on one side and an ethernet port on the other. Has worked fine with both routers.

It sounds like your wrt54GP2 has the Vonage adapter built-in. So if you change it out, you'll also need to buy/get an adapter from them:
http://support.vonage.com/doc/en_us/1402.xml?

Chip H.

laserguy
03-12-2011, 06:45 PM
Thanks Chiph and Lingered, I have now some options and extra expenses to think about.

Sparkland
03-12-2011, 06:45 PM
I have an aversion to Netgear products ever since I tried to use the SC101 storage device they used to make. Absolute junk, with even worse support. So no Netgear for me.

I'm currently running a LinkSys WRT310N router tied to a Motorola Surfboard eXtreme cable modem. My home network might be more complicated than most - Ooma Telo IP phone service (wired), 3 TiVo's (2 wired, one wireless), Q-See CCTV DVR (wired), Axis 214 IP camera (wired), PS3 (wired) Nintendo Wii (wireless), XBox (wired) and two PC's wired - plus iPad and two iPhones (wireless of course). I run gigabit throughout for wired, and B, G and N for the wireless - my Series 2 TiVo can only handle B.

The Ooma box is interesting because they recommend that you place it between your router and modem, but as it's a router itself, all my internal IP addresses changed. I didn't want that as I do port forwarding for my cameras so I can get to them from the internet therefore I set the Ooma up hang off my router and configured the router with QoS settings to guarantee priority to phone traffic. So far it's working well. The WRT310N firmware also has built in DNS update service so if you have a dynamic IP address (common for DSL users) and maintain an internet address using someone like dyndns.org, it will tell them when your IP address changes, so that your internet url will continue to work.

TL;DR - Linksys WRT310N

Also, ask me anything about Ooma Telo IP phones - I'm loving free phone service.

I also have Ooma, but the normal HUB. Am wondering if you figured out how to get your fax machine from the printer to work? I haven't been able to solve that yet. I have two lines with the scout, so I do pay $10/month for that.

wrenrj1
03-12-2011, 08:12 PM
I love my Apple AirPort Extreme. :D

Winner Winner chicken dinner.

I installed my Apple Airport yesterday. It couldn't have been easier. Still have some issues with network printing, but I'm working those issues.

Lingered_I
03-12-2011, 09:44 PM
I also have Ooma, but the normal HUB. Am wondering if you figured out how to get your fax machine from the printer to work? I haven't been able to solve that yet. I have two lines with the scout, so I do pay $10/month for that.
I have a fax machine, but never use it so didn't try to hook it up. I'm using wireless Ooma handsets, so don't have the Telo connected to the house phone wiring at all.

Sparkland
03-12-2011, 11:09 PM
I have a fax machine, but never use it so didn't try to hook it up. I'm using wireless Ooma handsets, so don't have the Telo connected to the house phone wiring at all.

We don't have the Ooma hooked to the house wiring either. We also use (8) wireless handsets with two base stations. I know there are ways to hardwire it into the house by changing the telephone wiring where it comes into the house--but never wanted to bother with that.

We occasionally need the fax function and miss it a little.

Thanks, Brad

Slider
03-12-2011, 11:26 PM
I went from a 4 year old DLink to a Cisco E3000. Wow. Nice router.

Lingered_I
03-12-2011, 11:43 PM
We don't have the Ooma hooked to the house wiring either. We also use (8) wireless handsets with two base stations. I know there are ways to hardwire it into the house by changing the telephone wiring where it comes into the house--but never wanted to bother with that.

We occasionally need the fax function and miss it a little.

Thanks, Brad
Do your handsets ring in unison? Mine don't. It's the only thing I don't like about my set up. I have to have the VM set to 4 rings (24 seconds) - any less than that and there's a chance that the nearest phone to me hasn't started ringing yet and can't be picked up.

Sparkland
03-13-2011, 12:04 AM
Do your handsets ring in unison? Mine don't. It's the only thing I don't like about my set up. I have to have the VM set to 4 rings (24 seconds) - any less than that and there's a chance that the nearest phone to me hasn't started ringing yet and can't be picked up.

I would say they do. However, since we have one line setup on the Hub and one line setup on the Scout--we have to remember which handsets we are answering. The main line is on the Hub and if we answer the call from one of the handsets hooked to the Scout, we have to push the "flash" button to receive the call.

We have missed a few calls while fumbling around trying to figure out which line the call is on.

It is kind of a nice setup since we can receive and/or make two calls at one time.

Only bad thing is that we used some of the money we saved on our cheap phone line to upgrade our DSL service to a higher speed.

Kind of like when I traded in my Toyota T-100 for the Ridgeline.