Wimpy horn sound... [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: Wimpy horn sound...

Halabar
12-13-2005, 10:24 AM
Howdy all,

I've had my RTS now for about 9 months, using it mostly as a weekend-driver and for trips, and must say, I really am satisfied with it.

But..

Have you every heard such a wimpy sound for a truck horn?... :confused: All my other cars/trucks have had a better sounding horn. The Ridgeline's horn sounds so wimpy, no wonder most of you name your Ridges with feminine names... :D

The truck looks tough, and rides great, but when I honk at some jerk, it sounds to them like there is a 80's Tercel behind them....

TheRidgester
12-13-2005, 10:31 AM
Howdy all,

I've had my RTS now for about 9 months, using it mostly as a weekend-driver and for trips, and must say, I really am satisfied with it.

But..

Have you every heard such a wimpy sound for a truck horn?... :confused: All my other cars/trucks have had a better sounding horn. The Ridgeline's horn sounds so wimpy, no wonder most of you name your Ridges with feminine names... :D

The truck looks tough, and rides great, but when I honk at some jerk, it sounds to them like there is a 80's Tercel behind them....
I hear ya (no pun intended) I was considering replaceing mine, but is not a the top of the X-mas list
Heres a link to aftermarket horns... keep tootin;) http://www.hornblasters.com/

lowrider90
12-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Thats funny, just a couple of days ago I accidentally set the alarm off. I couldn't beleive how loud it is. I said to my wife at least it is not one those sissy horns.

Long Gone
12-13-2005, 11:08 AM
I don't think it's a sissy horn. :(
And I aint no sissy neether. ;)

DoctorJ
12-13-2005, 11:13 AM
Sounds like any other American truck/car horn - not like the motorcycle horns Honda uses on their other cars.

Halabar
12-13-2005, 11:33 AM
Thats funny, just a couple of days ago I accidentally set the alarm off. I couldn't beleive how loud it is. I said to my wife at least it is not one those sissy horns.

It's not the loudness... it's the tone...

Halabar
12-13-2005, 11:33 AM
I don't think it's a sissy horn. :(
And I aint no sissy neether. ;)

I didn't say sissy, I said feminine... ;)

tlaudio
12-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Sounds a lot deeper / Bigger than most all other Honda's in the past.

It sure is not the small car beep-beep....

TL

CBRidgeJockey
12-13-2005, 11:51 AM
I think it sounds fine....then I am comparing it to my motorcycle ..peep peep.:D

Long Gone
12-13-2005, 11:52 AM
I didn't say sissy, I said feminine... ;)
OMG I stand corrected. :o :(
You said wimpy and I said sissy. I'm sorry.
Ok..I aint no wimpy....he eats too many burgers. :D

Cajun Country Ridgeline
12-13-2005, 11:58 AM
I would have your horn checked out. Test at Dealer against other Ridges.
It is a dual horn. I found mine is very loud, in fact I have scared the ----
out of people if I hit it and I am too close to them.

YOu want to hear wimpy, you ought to hear the horn on our 1986 300ZX, it sounds a little like Herbie the VW Bug from the movies.

Good Luck!!!!!:)

Nicholas
12-13-2005, 12:03 PM
Guess mine is different ... if fact I think mine is a touch too loud, most people will look in the direction of my vehicle whenever I activate the alarm check as I'm walking away from it. It is louder then my Ford SuperDuty ...

flymuck
12-13-2005, 12:07 PM
I haven't used the horn very often... had to beep at a dog that was wandering across the road the other day... it sounds like a Honda horn to me! That's not necessarily a good thing... :) I'd like to replace mine with a big-rig horn -- then I can relive PeeWee's Big Adventure... Tell 'em Large Marge sent ya! :D

Budman1109
12-13-2005, 12:14 PM
Actually, if you want to hear wimpy try beeping the horn on a Colorado!!! It sounds like one of thoise bicycle horns you squeeze:D
One of the first things I do during a test drive is beep the horn (I know...I'm weird:) ) and my first comment was "at least this one has a real horn"
Short of installing air horns I don't know how it could sound any better

lowrider90
12-13-2005, 01:00 PM
It's not the loudness... it's the tone...

I can see a deeper tone to the truck to make it more masculine! then again if you own a silver (primed ridge) you better not get a deeper toned horn. it won't know which way to go. LOL

Long Gone
12-13-2005, 01:03 PM
I can see a deeper tone to the truck to make it more masculine! then again if you own a silver (primed ridge) you better not get a deeper toned horn. it won't know which way to go. LOL
Why would you want it more masculine Jay..it is after all a CHICK TRUCK!! :D

lowrider90
12-13-2005, 01:04 PM

silver is for ladies

BillB
12-13-2005, 01:08 PM
I didn't want a Chick Truck, but that may be what I got. My wife wants to trade me her Volvo V8 SUV for the Rideline. Makes me sick to think about it anymore.

Long Gone
12-13-2005, 01:15 PM
silver is for ladies
And red is for...oh never mind. :rolleyes:
:D

Long Gone
12-13-2005, 01:17 PM
I didn't want a Chick Truck, but that may be what I got. My wife wants to trade me her Volvo V8 SUV for the Rideline. Makes me sick to think about it anymore.
It's the new "Mom's taxi" of the future.
Haul the kids, bikes and groceries all at the same time. :D

TheRidgester
12-13-2005, 01:22 PM
So are you saying the ridge is like secret (deodorant)
Its strong enough for a man, but made for a woman:eek:

Halabar
12-13-2005, 01:33 PM

I REALLY don't like where this is going now... :rolleyes:

Long Gone
12-13-2005, 02:18 PM
YUP.....you got that right.

TheRidgester
12-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Ok lets think about this ONE...... If the Ridgeline needs secret ......naaa just do not wanna go there :eek:
Hey how about a new subject....
HOW ABOUT 3 DAYS LEFT FOR THE TOYS FOR TOTS DRIVE!

5S Dude
12-13-2005, 02:59 PM
Howdy all,

But..

Hi Halabar, You could always buy a set of air-powered horns from the after market like the one's mounted atop the "big rigs" Now there's a loud horn.:p

Grok Lobster
12-13-2005, 03:16 PM
Here's an idea...

DoctorJ
12-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Click here for horn sound (http://www.geocities.com/televisioncity/7169/dixie2.wav)

Tex's Ridge
12-13-2005, 04:46 PM
Click here for horn sound (http://www.geocities.com/televisioncity/7169/dixie2.wav)
That was good Doc, scared the heck out of my dog!:D

Nicholas
12-13-2005, 05:46 PM
If my Ridgeline horn sounded like that, I would be too embarrassed to ever use it in public!!!

Ultra-HOG
12-13-2005, 08:16 PM
It's The Dukes!

Long Gone
12-13-2005, 08:24 PM
I like it!! Thanks Doc:D

BillB
12-14-2005, 01:17 PM
With everything going computerized, how long before we can download our chosen horn sounds to our Ridgelines like we can download phone ringers to our cell phones. I work in an Investment Bank and we have a trading floor with about 50 traders all receiving audible alerts when electronic transactions need attention. These traders have chosen their own sounds to occur for various events and since everyone sits so close together and they are screaming at each other on top of everything else, these sounds are pretty funny to hear. We have animals roaring, cars honking, fog horns blaring, phrases from popular movies and TV shows talking. Crazy stuff. There is a Web site called www.soundamerica.com where all these sounds came from if you want to play around with your own PCs sounds.

RidgeBoyRTL
01-31-2006, 01:07 PM
Hello All,

I am disappointed on the weak horn. Has anyone replaced the stock horn? I would like for it to sound more masculine and like a truck.

Your thoughts?

Hez
01-31-2006, 01:25 PM
Have you ever heard the horn on the old Nissan trucks? Sounded like a Mini!:D

I don't find any problem with mine...

UglyTruckling
01-31-2006, 01:32 PM
When I drove smaller cars, my husband used to replace the stock horn with a really LOUD air horn -- he always said they were easy to install, and I always loved the extra oomph in the sound. I've only used the RL's horn a couple times, and it seemed effective....

25 Year Honda Owner
01-31-2006, 01:35 PM
Come to think of it, I have never heard it. All I ever here is that little bell telling me to buckle up. Maybe it should sound like the old '20's models. Aughaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:rolleyes:

Long Gone
01-31-2006, 01:37 PM
I would like for it to sound more masculine and like a truck.
Your thoughts?
It's a chick truck, why would I want it to sound masculine? :D ;) :p
I like it. It works for me.
Do a horn search. I think this was brought up once before.

gpruchniewski
01-31-2006, 02:17 PM
It's a chick truck, why would I want it to sound masculine? :D ;) :p
I like it. It works for me.
Do a horn search. I think this was brought up once before.

No, no no no no no NOOoooooo This is not a Chick truck, no no no no no..... if it was a chick truck the vanity mirror would be on the Driver Side but it isn't it is on the Passengers side......

Long Gone
01-31-2006, 02:21 PM
No, no no no no no NOOoooooo This is not a Chick truck, no no no no no..... if it was a chick truck the vanity mirror would be on the Driver Side but it isn't it is on the Passengers side......
I'm sorry...you're right. :o

Hez
01-31-2006, 02:33 PM
if it was a chick truck the vanity mirror would be on the Driver Side

THAT is my only peeve with this truck!!!:mad:

:D

ridged
01-31-2006, 02:54 PM
THAT is my only peeve with this truck!!!:mad:
It's a safety feature! :)

IShootPics
01-31-2006, 04:01 PM
stand by for some funny stuff... here's a pic of what I wedged in the fender of mine :D

http://www.phines.com/orly/horn2.jpg

Hez
01-31-2006, 04:12 PM
It's a safety feature!

I only reapply my lipstick at stop lights!!! :D

Is that a horn, IShootPics? And the JD to make your truck more "manly".

IShootPics
01-31-2006, 04:17 PM
I only reapply my lipstick at stop lights!!! :D

Is that a horn, IShootPics? And the JD to make your truck more "manly".

a 21" Grover stuttern tone horn to be exact :eek:

ridged
01-31-2006, 04:24 PM
a 21" Grover stuttern tone horn to be exact :eek:
<insert>"Tim the Toolman" grunt</insert> :D

IShootPics
01-31-2006, 04:40 PM
here's a crappy cell-phone recording of the horn.. it does not do the thing justice.. at 120psi with the little tank I have, it has about 6 seconds of full-volume use, and is OEM equipment (the horn itself) for E-One and Frasier fire aparatus companies.

http://www.redmousez.net/Temp/Recording2.wav

Hez
01-31-2006, 04:51 PM
LOL! Sounds like the Queen Mary's docking!:eek:

Mikedeason
01-31-2006, 06:17 PM
Not that I will be needing the horn but mine sounds a little weak. I'm really not sure what the Ridge's horn is suposed to sound like but I'm going to check out another one at the dealer. I would hate to have an improper horn tone. It just doesn't sound very robust.

swampler
01-31-2006, 06:23 PM
Hopefully nothing's wrong with it...won't be worth as much as a collectible if it's defective. OTH, a lot of coins are worth more if there is a misprint, so it could be to your benefit not to mess with it.

Lingered_I
01-31-2006, 07:37 PM
The RL has two horns. Bonus.

RidgeBoyRTL
02-01-2006, 02:30 PM
I agree, the horn is very wimpy. It is not the decible I am concerned about, it is the tone. Just does not sound correct for the awesome vehicle.

Mikedeason
02-01-2006, 03:06 PM
I have decided that the horn sound is not "wimpy" but unique and should not be altered. Part of the unique appeal of this vehcle is the horn.

bikr
02-01-2006, 03:08 PM
Yanno.. They might have updated the horn already, because mine is friggen beefy.. Especially under overpasses honking at idiots on cell phones.. :)