Local Dealer's Timing Belt Change Deal [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: Local Dealer's Timing Belt Change Deal

atoyota4x4
10-04-2011, 01:57 PM
My local Honda Dealer has a coupon currently for the Timing Belt and Water pump to be changed for a cost of $270.00 for V6's. I called to confirm that my Ridgeline qualified for that and was told that it did as the coupon stated in fine print "most V6's".

My question is, what else would you suggest I confirm is included before making the decision on whether to let them do it or do it myself. I have no doubt I could do it since I did the one on our Pilot. The cost of the belt, pump and antifreeze alone would run me $150 or so and a decent day completing the job. I'm more than happy to pay a dealer $100 more bucks to save me the hassle.

rappkim
10-04-2011, 02:01 PM
Sounds like a come-on. My dealer quoted me a price of $1150 for timing belt and water pump.

RustyH
10-04-2011, 02:24 PM
Find out what exactly is included in the dealer offer. If you want a complete job, including tensioner, pulleys, new gaskets, ect, I'll bet you find that will cost a bit more. Still it might be a good deal and at least the repair will be covered by the dealership.

speedlever
10-04-2011, 07:21 PM
That's an incredible deal if it's on the up and up.

I've had a couple of local quotes in the 900-940 range to include the TB, WP, serpentine belt, spark plugs, and then it varies with the higher quote covering both tensioners, and seals, etc. One dealer price and one local indie shop price.

thooks
10-11-2011, 02:27 PM
I had nearly $300 in parts, all Honda OEM and at a significant discount from the local dealer (I ordered the parts through an online dealer).

All told, I had about $500 in parts and a few new tools. I did the timing belt, serp belt, water pump, tensioner, spark plugs and 2 gallons of coolant.

Priced out at the local dealers in Atlanta, that was $1600.

atoyota4x4
10-19-2011, 08:45 AM
After really asking a lot of questions to the dealer, it turns out to be what I would call a scam. Did you know that refilling with antifreeze is extra? WOW! Isnt that part of the job? Oh well, I will do it all myself. They are such crooks.

lovestheh2o
10-19-2011, 01:16 PM
$1600!!!! wow, thats well over $1,000 in labor.. waaaaaayyyy too much.

lovestheh2o
10-19-2011, 01:17 PM
here's my question, what does this valvetrain adjustment entail? like if I were to change everything myself and I dont know what/how to adjust the valvetrain? is it something down with the timing belt removed?

FTM1
10-19-2011, 06:24 PM
$1600!!!! wow, thats well over $1,000 in labor.. waaaaaayyyy too much. That price sounds about on the mark. I had the samething done to my 2000 Acura TL at the dealership
back a few months ago. It should be about the same for the Ridgeline.
The platinum spark plugs were not part of the package so that was about $300 extra. The Timing Belt package total was $1,132.

thooks
10-19-2011, 08:14 PM
I was quoted roughly $900 for "the timing belt job", which did not include a new timing belt tensioner. They wanted another $140 or so for that. It's an $85 part and they wanted $55 in pure profit. Yes, all you dealership mechanics, it's pure profit. You take the old one off anyway, or you should, according to the service manual.

I was quoted $550 or so for the spark plug replacement. The plugs are $13-15 each at the retail parts houses (yes, the same exact plugs the dealers sell for +$23 each.) It took me roughly an hour to replace the plugs.

IanRTL
10-31-2011, 12:12 PM
As a comparison, it's very smart to call multiple dealerships for prices. We're having the service done on my wife's '05 Accord V6 tomorrow. I called 4 different dealerships closest to me and got out-the-door prices of $747, $836, $925 and $1033. After speaking with the $747 dealership, I decided to take it there. Service will include TB, WP, drive belt, tensioner, cam and crank seals and coolant. I'll replace the spark plugs myself since they quoted me $19 per plug and $50 in labor (total $164) and I bought 6 plugs on Amazon for $58. It's worth doing it myself to save over $100.

The craziest part of the whole deal is that the $747 and the $1033 place are owned by the SAME PEOPLE. How can two dealership service departments owned by the same people and only 20 miles apart have a difference of nearly $300 for the same service? Unreal. I'm using this as sort of a test of the dealership because the RL is going to need done next month. Hoping they do a good job and treat me well because the price is great for such an involved service.

speedlever
10-31-2011, 12:22 PM
Count your blessings. My daughter just had her TB, WP, spark plugs, seals, serpentine belt, associated pulleys and tensioners, tranny and transfer assembly service, rear diff service... and both cats replaced in her 2006 Pilot with ~115k miles for.... $2300.

And that was at an independent shop that I've known for years. Those cats just blew everything else out of the water. The rear one was a real biotch to R&R too, from what I was told.

RustyH
10-31-2011, 12:50 PM
My daughter just had her TB, WP, spark plugs, seals, serpentine belt, associated pulleys and tensioners, tranny and transfer assembly service, rear diff service... and both cats replaced in her 2006 Pilot with ~115k miles for.... $2300.

And that was at an independent shop that I've known for years. Those cats just blew everything else out of the water. The rear one was a real biotch to R&R too, from what I was told.

If they replaced the old cats with OEM cats, you can bet you paid a premium price. Aftermarket cats are less expensive still have to be made to the same specs regulated by the EPA. My old 98 Ford Expedtion had four cats and the dealer wanted over $2600 to replace them all at 175K miles. I went to Midas and had the job done for just over $600 with aftermarket cats.

IanRTL
10-31-2011, 01:37 PM
Count your blessings. My daughter just had her TB, WP, spark plugs, seals, serpentine belt, associated pulleys and tensioners, tranny and transfer assembly service, rear diff service... and both cats replaced in her 2006 Pilot with ~115k miles for.... $2300.

I thought the cats were under warranty for 8 years and 120k miles?

speedlever
10-31-2011, 04:33 PM
I believe it's 8 years and 80k miles. She had 115k+ on her 2006 Pilot.

http://automobiles.honda.com/news/press-releases-article.aspx?Article=2006031670437

IanRTL
10-31-2011, 08:41 PM
I believe it's 8 years and 80k miles. She had 115k+ on her 2006 Pilot.

http://automobiles.honda.com/news/press-releases-article.aspx?Article=2006031670437

Ah, ok. I know it was 8 years and I could have sworn the mileage would have been higher than only 80k. That really sucks. What were the warning signs that she needed new cats?

speedlever
10-31-2011, 09:05 PM
CEL codes p0420 and p0430, I believe.

hofffam
11-01-2011, 09:46 AM
No way is $1600 reasonable for a TB/WP service with spark plugs and a few other easy items.

I paid about $750 last year at an independent for TB/WP service on our 2006 Pilot. We replaced the tensioner and the serpentine belt.

I own an Acura NSX and paid just under $1600 for TB/WP service three years ago. 8 hours of labor on that job.

I did the plugs on the Pilot a few months ago - not hard at all and should be the same on the Ridgeline.

XEOD
11-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Just so happens I called both local dealers today for estimates on the timing belt/water pump/tensioner. At one I was told about $925. The other was $780.

In addition, I also asked about having front and rear stabilizer links replaced and one was about $350 and the other $500. Ironically the better deal was at the other dealer this time.

So shopping around works!

GTwannabe
11-01-2011, 01:16 PM
So was that $270 deal legit? Seems like either a classic bait-and-switch (oh, gaskets/coolant/recycling fee are another $600) or they don't do any work and just tell you they changed it.

lovestheh2o
11-01-2011, 01:56 PM
CEL codes p0420 and p0430, I believe.

insufficient cataylist codes.. couldn't that also be chaulked up to bad O2s causing a misread? I would've done those first if you didnt.!

lovestheh2o
11-01-2011, 02:01 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Pilot-Ridgeline-Timing-Belt-Water-Pump-Kit-V6-/230688558562?fits=Model:Ridgeline|Make:Honda&hash=item35b61c0de2&item=230688558562&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_1072wt_989

LEGIT - OEM honda parts, timing belt, tensioner, and water pump. for less than $220. now go find a guy to install them for you!

speedlever
11-01-2011, 02:05 PM
insufficient cataylist codes.. couldn't that also be chaulked up to bad O2s causing a misread? I would've done those first if you didnt.!

The O2 sensor was checked and confirmed good.

GTwannabe
11-01-2011, 02:57 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Pilot-Ridgeline-Timing-Belt-Water-Pump-Kit-V6-/230688558562?fits=Model:Ridgeline|Make:Honda&hash=item35b61c0de2&item=230688558562&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr#ht_1072wt_989

LEGIT - OEM honda parts, timing belt, tensioner, and water pump. for less than $220. now go find a guy to install them for you!

Rub a little grease and dirt on those parts and show them to the customer. "See, we replaced these parts."

$50 profit.

speedlever
11-01-2011, 03:58 PM
You sir, have a devious brain. ;)

IanRTL
11-02-2011, 08:07 AM
You sir, have a devious brain. ;)

Yes, but unfortunately, I think he's probably on to something. $270 for the service is ridiculous. Even a savvy deal-searcher like myself would call bull dookie on that. Maybe it's only $270 in LABOR costs, but that doesn't include the parts. It's a 5-6 hour job and the dealership would actually lose quite a bit of money by doing it that cheaply. It probably would be a novice doing the work, too, as a certified tech wouldn't do the work that cheaply. I just had my wife's Accord done yesterday at Washington Honda in Washington, PA (south of Pittsburgh) and walked out the door at $710 for TB, WP, tensioner, serp belt and coolant. They quoted me pretty much the same price to do my RL, so I'll be going back there in a few months. They were very professional and easy to deal with. I would recommend this place to anyone within driving distance of it.

alyourpal
11-04-2011, 07:05 AM
My Local Dealer in TN changes TB & WP all day everyday for $650. This includes everything needed except the Idler Puley. If you want that done I think it was an extra $60. I did not do that for y last 2 Honda TB jobs.

As for plugs --- order them online for $10each. then install them yourself. Total job will be $65'ish with shipping and about 45min of your time.

Woodtiger
11-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Thanks to Ian and everyone else, I am going to have my TB, WP, belt, tensioner, and plugs changed on my newly acquired baby (at 110K miles).

Asked a Honda mechanic (working on the side) for quote. Will report back.

back in black
11-14-2011, 08:32 AM
My local Honda Dealer has a coupon currently for the Timing Belt and Water pump to be changed for a cost of $270.00 for V6's. I called to confirm that my Ridgeline qualified for that and was told that it did as the coupon stated in fine print "most V6's".

My question is, what else would you suggest I confirm is included before making the decision on whether to let them do it or do it myself. I have no doubt I could do it since I did the one on our Pilot. The cost of the belt, pump and antifreeze alone would run me $150 or so and a decent day completing the job. I'm more than happy to pay a dealer $100 more bucks to save me the hassle.

$270? Sounds way too good to be true, IMO.

GTwannabe
11-14-2011, 09:02 AM
$270? Sounds way too good to be true, IMO.

Standard dealer shop rates are $90-95/hour, and it's at least a 4-5 hour job. Even the tire/brake places are up to $60-75. Something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

spydercatt
06-01-2013, 10:08 AM
Here is a detailed video with step-by-step instruction on the replacement of the timing belt on the Honda Acura V6 J Series engine, including the replacement of the pulleys, tensioner, as well as the water pump and special tools needed to complete the job.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weNxSGSst38

merlin09
06-03-2013, 01:28 PM
I was thinking of doing this job myself. Do you know of any videos I could watch to help me? Watched a 2 part video on youtube but he seems to skip a few parts. thanks for any info in advance

kevin_stevens
06-22-2013, 07:38 PM
Could someone review the parts list for me? I'm confused by the various belt tensioners and pulleys in particular. Looking to do TB, SB, water pump, plugs, and valve adjustment.

KeS

JamesLee
06-23-2013, 12:46 AM
Had my timing belt replacement service done at my dealer for $710.00, also hade the spark plugs replaced for $85.00. I purchased the spark plugs from E-Bay for $9.95 per plug. All told the entire job cost me a little over $800.00 which is less then a lot of other dealers want for the same service. All with original OEM parts.

speedlever
06-23-2013, 06:08 AM
That's a good price. Did it include the water pump, tensioner pulleys, and serpentine belt?

speedlever
06-23-2013, 08:04 AM
Kevin,

Not exactly sure what you're looking for. Does this help?

http://i.imgur.com/nPeeDcZ.png

http://i.imgur.com/bhnGlhG.png

kevin_stevens
06-25-2013, 01:57 AM
Ok, let me try again. The problem I'm having is that every "kit" out there seems to have different parts. So from what I've figured and can interpret, these are the components for a full rebuild:

- the timing belt itself
- the "auto-tensioner", which is the one-way hydraulic plunger thing
- the adjusting pulley (F above), which I gather the plunger bears on?
- the idler pulley (B above)

Then:
- the water pump
- the water pump seal (does this always come with it? different kits specify vs not)

That's it for the timing belt section, right? Why do the Honda kits come with crank and cam seals? I don't see anything about their replacement.

Finally, if I want to do the serpentine belt, which Honda calls the "drive belt":

- S-belt
- S-belt tensioner - this just uses a spring, not a hydraulic ratchet like the timing belt
- S-belt idler pulley

Do I have all that complete and correct now? TIA.

KeS

speedlever
06-25-2013, 04:51 AM
Kevin,

I haven't had to replace any of these components yet. But my understanding is that the auto-tensioner and pulley is one assembly. Perhaps someone who has done the TB/WP themselves can confirm that.
http://i.imgur.com/9ORafiE.png

To my understanding, the seals (cam and crank) aren't replaced unless there's evidence of leakage.

There seems to be some debate as to whether the idler pulleys need to be replaced or not.

Regarding the Sbelt tensioner mechanism, I think you are correct about the spring. There's supposed to be a visual check to see if the belt is properly tensioned. I looked for it once and didn't find it. I suspect I didn't look hard enough or in the right place. ;)

http://i.imgur.com/daYcuVV.png

Hope this helps.

Edit: there appears to be a couple of conditions that indicate if the tensioner assembly needs to be replaced:
1) noise from the pulley
2) amount of torque need to induce movement (37.2 lb-ft minimum limit)

http://i.imgur.com/7vUj2Cu.png