Higher Tire Pressure=better Gas Mileage [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: Higher Tire Pressure=better Gas Mileage

rstribling
02-24-2006, 03:27 PM
I Have 2,100 Miles On My Rt And Just Checked The Tire Pressure For The First Time The Other Night While Filling Up At The Pump. 43 P.s.i.
Yikes The Recommended Tire Pressure Is 32 P.s.i. How Could This Have Left The Dealer Like This. High Tire Pressure Will Cause The Tires To Wear Unevenly. Could This Be A Sneaky Attempt To Help These Trucks Get Better Gas Mileage? My Mechanic At Work Said A Vehicle Will Get Better Mileage With The Higher Pressure. To All Those Buying Or Just Bought A New Rt, I'd Check Your Tire Pressure Asap. I Wonder If This Was Just An Oversight, A Deliberate Thing Done My Dealership Or Something Honda Itself Has Initiated. Would Honda Really Do This. Check Your Pressure A Post Your Findings. Still Love My Rt And Am Getting Ready To Upgrade My Speakers.

RidgeOwner3
02-24-2006, 03:56 PM
I Have 2,100 Miles On My Rt And Just Checked The Tire Pressure For The First Time The Other Night While Filling Up At The Pump. 43 P.s.i.
Yikes The Recommended Tire Pressure Is 32 P.s.i. How Could This Have Left The Dealer Like This. High Tire Pressure Will Cause The Tires To Wear Unevenly. Could This Be A Sneaky Attempt To Help These Trucks Get Better Gas Mileage? My Mechanic At Work Said A Vehicle Will Get Better Mileage With The Higher Pressure. To All Those Buying Or Just Bought A New Rt, I'd Check Your Tire Pressure Asap. I Wonder If This Was Just An Oversight, A Deliberate Thing Done My Dealership Or Something Honda Itself Has Initiated. Would Honda Really Do This. Check Your Pressure A Post Your Findings. Still Love My Rt And Am Getting Ready To Upgrade My Speakers.

I heard they transport them from the factory that way to prevent a flat spot on the tire during shipping. The dealer is probably supposed to set at recommended pressure during prep of your truck when you buy it.

I was surprised to hear my father-in-law sets his truck tires at 40. He says they wear longer that way. I think the recommended pressure of 32 might be for several reasons, including ride comfort and safety/more rubber on the road.

2006Ridgeline
02-24-2006, 05:30 PM
People tend to be idiots when it comes to tire pressure -- I've gotten home from tire shops with the wrong pressure, usually way too high. Wouldn't surprise me that the dealership 'tire guy' doesn't know any better. I just had mine in for an oil change and told them about my tire pressure monitor alerting when the temp falls below 50* F. I checked my tires when I got home just to make sure they didn't overfill them just to 'turn it off.' They seem to be fine.

I wouldn't run mine at anything higher than 34 or 35, but I try to keep them at 32.

Jay
02-24-2006, 08:17 PM
thanks for the tip on checking pressure. My pressure reads about 29 on all tires. I need to go air them up a bit. I figured they were alright from the dealer....I guess not.

Dragonslayer
02-25-2006, 12:13 AM
Hey Jay, I grew up in Pittsburg, I was just there last month to visit my brothers and sister, boy has it grown, hardly recognized it . will be there again in may for a birthday . Sorry about communicating this way, you don't accept e-mail . About the tire pressure , I have a good relationship with my dealer, he is also a neighbor of mine , and he makes sure that I am happy , they have been wonderful . I have not had my light come on even when it dropped to 25' last week .

kanji
02-25-2006, 12:26 AM
mine reads all 4 tires @ 34psi xcept the spare of course.

Papa
02-25-2006, 05:08 AM
To get the most accurate reading the tire pressure should be checked "cold". Even driving a shjort distance will cause some pressure rise but not 8 pounds.

Godskid
02-25-2006, 05:52 AM
Hi Everyone, its been a while for me.....real busy,

I keep my tire pressure at 34 psi. This week I drove 320 miles averaging 75 mph and got 21.22 mpg. Personally, I think 34 is a good pressure. It helps with better mileage and will not give excessive wear.:cool:

swampler
02-25-2006, 08:11 AM
I have not had my light come on even when it dropped to 25' last week .Mine came on when it dropped to 24 psi. The other 3 at 25 psi did not come on. That was when the temp first dropped for winter and I hadn't been checking my pressure regularly.

Lingered_I
02-25-2006, 12:53 PM
The pressure warning is designed come on at 24psi and go off at 29psi.
Having too high a pressure increases the likelyhood that you'll get a blowout if you hit a pothole or kerb because the beading or tire cannot handle the sudden increase in pressure due to deformation caused by such impacts.

MontanaFred
02-25-2006, 01:59 PM
The following quote is from a Car Talk's Web page on Better Fuel Economy:

Car Talk's Guide to Better Fuel Economy (http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/fueleconomy/)

TIP Check Your Tire Pressure

The softer your tires are, the greater the friction between the road and the rubber, and the harder your engine will have to work to move the car. When we check tire pressure on our customers' cars, we notice that they are often nowhere near the recommended pressure. Here's why it matters: Under-inflated tires lowers gas mileage by 0.4 percent for every one pound of drop in pressure of all four tires. So, if you're down by 10 pounds... you're losing 4 percent in fuel economy.

Don't get us wrong: This doesn't mean you should over-inflate your tires (you don't want to be riding on stale bagels), because that's not safe, either. Too much air in your tires can seriously jeopardize your car's handling. But you DO want to keep your tires right at the recommended pressure, which represents a good balance between ride, handling, and fuel efficiency.

If you're not sure what the correct tire pressure is for your vehicle, you can find it on the door to the glove compartment or on the driver's-side door pillar.

When the seasons are changing, keep an even closer eye on your tire pressure. For every drop of 10° Fahrenheit in air temperature, your tires will lose one pound of pressure.

That last sentence explains why all my tire pressure indicators lit up when the temperature dropped to 20 below zero recently. My tires would have been 5 pounds lower then when it is only freezing here (most of the time in Montana).