Automatic headlights? [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: Automatic headlights?

StickyC
06-20-2006, 07:11 PM
I've driven cars with automatic headlights for years now and the lack of 'em is easily one of the most annoying elements of my Ridgeline. Has anyone looked into installing some kind of automatic headlight switch? I hate leaving them on because of the beeping and (more importantly), it futzes with the dimming of the Nav.

Something like the Auto Headlight Switch on this page:
http://www.dsp-mobilityelectronics.com/car_hand_controls_boot_hoist.html

NKyRidge
06-20-2006, 07:40 PM
Don't the RTL's have auto headlights?

OneBigDog
06-20-2006, 07:53 PM
The Ridge, like other Honda vehicles, has a headlight timer. If you leave them on and walk away they shut off automatically in ~ 5 minutes. The cool thing is that they come back on when you start the truck. It's as close to automatic as you can get :) I use it once in a while but I find the "ding" annoying when I shut the truck off but leave the light on.

StickyC
06-20-2006, 08:43 PM
By automatic, I mean ones that turn on in the dark and off in the light. Or at least something that'd work on the dash lights...

ChrisM
06-20-2006, 08:47 PM
By automatic, I mean ones that turn on in the dark and off in the light. Or at least something that'd work on the dash lights...

Yea, like my crappy Buick. I wonder how hard it would be to take one out of a car at the junkyard and integrate it into my RL?

toolz_not_toyz
06-22-2006, 10:47 PM
I hate leaving them on because of the beeping and (more importantly), it futzes with the dimming of the Nav.

Yeah, but auto on headlights will futz with the dimming of the Nav too....because it won't dim the Navi at all (which auto-dims based on the position of the headlight switch).

StickyC
06-23-2006, 12:21 AM
Yeah, but auto on headlights will futz with the dimming of the Nav too....because it won't dim the Navi at all (which auto-dims based on the position of the headlight switch).

Sort of... The way things are now, I leave the headlights on all the time, since if I dont, I'll forget to turn 'em on after dark (I'm an old dog, new tricks ain't comin'). Because of this, I have to leave the dash lights set to the "max" position or the nav switches to night mode and I can't see the backup camera worth a darn. So, if I put the auto headlight switch in, I dont have to leave the lights on all the time. In theory, the auto-switch would also control the dash lights as well.

Oorrrr, maybe I'm on the crack.

Wiley
06-23-2006, 12:23 PM
I was shocked to discover no automatic headlights on the RL as well. I can buy a nightlight for $1.50 that automatically comes out when the lights go out.

I don't understand why every car wouldn't have this option.

AmazonRidge
06-23-2006, 01:01 PM
Oorrrr, maybe I'm on the crack.

That would make 2 of us. :D

I found out yesterday that the headlights do not automatically go out on their own after 5 minutes of turned the truck off.....if you don't take the keys out....:o

This is the first vehicle that I've made a habit of driving with my lights on all the time (or most of the time). I do usually turn them off when I park it because I can't stand the dinging though.

Papa
06-24-2006, 05:00 AM
That would make 2 of us. :D

I found out yesterday that the headlights do not automatically go out on their own after 5 minutes of turned the truck off.....if you don't take the keys out....:o

This is the first vehicle that I've made a habit of driving with my lights on all the time (or most of the time). I do usually turn them off when I park it because I can't stand the dinging though.

Well that clears something up. Had mine a very short period of time left key in (garage parked) and left lights on. Came out next morning and it was a dead as a door nail. Always turn light off now - now I can leave on and remove the key - Thanks

toolz_not_toyz
06-24-2006, 01:45 PM
In theory, the auto-switch would also control the dash lights as well.

There isn't any aftermarket fix that works that way. You do realize that when your headlights are on, you get a little green headlight symbol in your dash next to the speedo, right? I've got another solution for you: move to the countryside where there are zero streetlights. You'll be turning your lights on every time it gets dark guaranteed. I haven't lived anywhere in the U.S. yet where there's decent street lighting unless you live in a downtown area...so I don't really understand how it's possible to drive around at night and not realize your headlights aren't on.

RidgeBoy
06-28-2006, 01:43 PM
The Canadian Ridgline has them, Canada gets all the good stuff, my RSX-Type S didnt even have heated seats....Canadian one do. I call Shinanagins.

RIDGID
06-29-2006, 09:15 AM
Dang I'm movin to Canada.What can we poor Americans do for a light fix?I have just incurred the dead battery thingy in my garage.I could not get my Ridge out of Park with a dead battery,say it isn't so.

Someone here has a mod for the lighting situation and will share I ma sure.

streetwerkzclothing
07-13-2006, 01:55 AM
The Ridge, like other Honda vehicles, has a headlight timer. If you leave them on and walk away they shut off automatically in ~ 5 minutes. The cool thing is that they come back on when you start the truck. It's as close to automatic as you can get :) I use it once in a while but I find the "ding" annoying when I shut the truck off but leave the light on.

actually, they turn on when using your key to unlock the truck. makes it a lot easier to find your truck in a dark parking lot.

my dash lights are on all the time, day or night. headlights on or off.

i dont understand what you are asking for.

jpphoto
07-13-2006, 05:40 PM
I believe he wants what I had in my 99 Explorer.

They called them automatic, they had a photocell that turned the lights on "automatically" when the light dropped below a specific LUX for a given amount of time. You just left the lights off flipped the switch on the rearview mirror and they did their thing. You could still flip the switch to turn them on and off manually though.

They were great, I don't have a garage and it gave me a 45 second to 2 minute time with the lights still on after I parked and got out to get to my door with a lighted path and then they would turn off.

bilcol81
08-06-2006, 06:12 PM
I was also disappointed that the Ridgeline did not have the auto headlight feature. My '03 Lexus RX300 had it. The light switch had 3 settings: off, on & auto. I just set it to auto and never had to worry about it. The lights would go out after a few minutes or immediately if you locked the vehicle.

NKyRidge
08-06-2006, 10:04 PM
ditto on the 99 RX

BUT, the RL does have the auto window down via remote - ha ha ha

beast644
08-07-2006, 02:16 AM
Ok, this is something that I have been considering for a while, and strongly believe should have been included with my RTL. But since honda hates america (kidding..) here are the after market options that I have found.

This option just turns on the lights everytime you start the car and turns them off when you turn off the car like daytime running lights (I dont think this is what everyone wants):

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2003355/c-10101/Nty-1/p-2003355/Ntx-mode+matchallpartial/N-10101/tf-Browse/s-10101/Ntk-AllTextSearchGroup?Ntt=headlight+control

There are two options, one that only has the lights on at 25% brightness, which is pretty cool as it makes them true daytime running lights.

Here is something that seems more like what everyone is talking about. It turns your lights on when it gets dark and off when you get out of the car.

http://www.dsp-mobilityelectronics.com/accessories/head.html

I have contacted the manufacturer to find out pricing. I will let you know what they tell me.

This is just another cool headlight modification I found in the process of researching. It automatically dims your brights with oncoming traffic so you can have them on all the time (more or less).

http://www.aaroncake.net/circuits/hdlights.htm

Let me know what you think and if you find anything similar.

Right now I just drive with my lights on all the time and adjust my dash lights when it gets dark. I like to be seen, and it definetly helps having your lights on. Im alot more worried about other drivers hitting me than I am about causing an accident myself.

I didnt know about the 5 min timer thing. Its nice to know honda built in at least one "idiot proof" feature. God only knows how many cars I have jumped because people left their ligts on. Anyway... Lets keep looking for the right solution.

RIDGID
08-07-2006, 10:13 AM
If my dash lights are on always,day/nite/lamp switch on or off.Why can't an automotive student here tell us how to run the wiring for the lights into the dash lighting?Ergo auto lights.Why does Honda do this?

beast644
08-07-2006, 01:21 PM
I am not sure what your are trying to acomplish. You want your headlights to be controlled by the dash light switch? Or just to be always on...

beast644
08-07-2006, 01:22 PM
I am seriously considering making a controller to acomplish what we are talking about. Let me know exactly what features everyone wants.
Possibel Features:
-Light sensor(turns on at dusk or in tunnels ect)
-Daytime running lights
-On with wipers (required in most states)
-Dashlight control (auto adjusts to outside lighting)
-Anyting else you can think of...

MikeT
08-07-2006, 03:45 PM
I love the idea of having the dash lights controlled by a sensor. I leave my lights in the on position all the time but turn them off to see the milage during the daylight hours.

grizzfan
08-09-2006, 12:08 PM
I am seriously considering making a controller to acomplish what we are talking about. Let me know exactly what features everyone wants.
Possibel Features:
-Light sensor(turns on at dusk or in tunnels ect)
-Daytime running lights
-On with wipers (required in most states)
-Dashlight control (auto adjusts to outside lighting)
-Anyting else you can think of...

What I'm looking for is daytime running lights. In my 2002 Volvo and 2004 Touareg and 2003 New Beetle, the low beams came on when you started the car and turned off when you shut off the ignition.

Has anybody tried the JC Whitney solution?

Tom

Exbox
08-09-2006, 12:37 PM
actually, they turn on when using your key to unlock the truck. makes it a lot easier to find your truck in a dark parking lot.

If you use your key to lock and unlock your truck haven't you found it already?:confused:

Exbox
08-09-2006, 12:40 PM

If you use your keys to unlock your truck haven't you found it already?:confused: :confused:

britimes2
09-16-2006, 03:02 PM
There isn't any aftermarket fix that works that way. You do realize that when your headlights are on, you get a little green headlight symbol in your dash next to the speedo, right? I've got another solution for you: move to the countryside where there are zero streetlights. You'll be turning your lights on every time it gets dark guaranteed. I haven't lived anywhere in the U.S. yet where there's decent street lighting unless you live in a downtown area...so I don't really understand how it's possible to drive around at night and not realize your headlights aren't on.

Well, actually, it happens to me all the time.
In my old car (Jeep Grand Cherokee), if it was dark outside, I could not see any controls inside the car, if my lights were not on since the headlights and the interior lights came on together. Thus, if I couldn't see the speedometer, radio, etc, I knew that my lights were off. I never had a problem and actually never used the auto headlights option.
However, in the RL, I like having the dash lights on all the time because I like to see the navi screen at its full brightness during the day. Consequently, I can see all interior controls in the dark and don't necessarily realize that my headlights aren't on.
As much as I didn't like automatic headlights in the past, I think with the way the interior lighting works in the RL, automatic headlights are a safety matter.

carlnunes
09-25-2006, 01:00 AM
I thought that little square plastic thing in the middle of the dash by the windshield did the light detecting thing. What's the deal? Someone has to be able to show us "first run" buyers how to mod the headlights. :)

zuhl
09-27-2006, 01:26 PM
That sensor is a daylight sensor but is used for the Automatic Climate Controls. It would be cool if it could be tapped in to. It should just be some form of photo cell.

Another thing to keep in mind in the design of an utomatic switch is to include some form of delay. GMs have a 45 second delay, meaning you need 45 seconds of a continious change in lighting conditions for them to acitvate. This way your lights dont flash ever time you drive into a shadow.

djeaux
09-27-2006, 04:38 PM
My oft-mentione '03 GMC Sierra had "automatic" lights & a photo sensor mounted at the center of the dash. (OK, it also had an auto-dimming mirror, compass & exterior temp guage for about $8K less than I paid for my RTX, but I digress.)

I've wondered if one could simply lift the photo-sensor & whatever relays/harnesses are needed to hook it up from a donor GM or Ford product & splice 'em into the Honda system.

(I've already figured that I could lift the auto-dimming mirror from a semi-late-model GM/Chevy truck & hook it into my Ridge, as long as I route the exterior thermo sensor. I just haven't been by Biloxi Auto Salvage lately. Of course, that raises the question, "Will the thing work after being submerged in salt water for 4 hours?"... :eek: )

MikeT
09-27-2006, 05:31 PM
My oft-mentione '03 GMC Sierra had "automatic" lights & a photo sensor mounted at the center of the dash. (OK, it also had an auto-dimming mirror, compass & exterior temp guage for about $8K less than I paid for my RTX, but I digress.)

I've wondered if one could simply lift the photo-sensor & whatever relays/harnesses are needed to hook it up from a donor GM or Ford product & splice 'em into the Honda system.

(I've already figured that I could lift the auto-dimming mirror from a semi-late-model GM/Chevy truck & hook it into my Ridge, as long as I route the exterior thermo sensor. I just haven't been by Biloxi Auto Salvage lately. Of course, that raises the question, "Will the thing work after being submerged in salt water for 4 hours?"... :eek: )

You might be able to do that, but you would have to change the name of your truck to FrankenRidge:D

Mercury7
10-10-2006, 04:36 AM
I found this thread a little confusing, my 2007 rtx does have the auto feature....just not the best implementation. You just turn your lights on and leave them on, when I shut down the lights shut off approx 30 sec after I close the door. If I open the door the lights come back on. Is that new to 2007's? so anyway the bad implementation part is that the chime still warns you that you have the lights in the on position when you take the keys out of the ignition and I do still have to roll my dimmer switch up to max during daylight driving....just keep pushing when it stops and it will click into bright mode. no biggie but my lexus rx300 does this through a ambient light sensor.

StickyC
10-10-2006, 10:59 AM
I found this thread a little confusing, my 2007 rtx does have the auto feature....just not the best implementation. You just turn your lights on and leave them on, when I shut down the lights shut off approx 30 sec after I close the door. If I open the door the lights come back on. Is that new to 2007's? so anyway the bad implementation part is that the chime still warns you that you have the lights in the on position when you take the keys out of the ignition and I do still have to roll my dimmer switch up to max during daylight driving....just keep pushing when it stops and it will click into bright mode. no biggie but my lexus rx300 does this through a ambient light sensor.

The earlier Ridges do that as well. The problem is that if you run with the lights on all the time, the Nav stays in Night Mode all the time (black background). If you switch the dashboard brightness up to max, it'll stay in Day Mode, but then at night that's way too damn bright. So, either way, you gotta make some kind of lighting adjustment to transition between driving during the day and driving at night. My goal was to just sit back, relax, and enjoy the drive :)

RidgeDOC
10-10-2006, 09:59 PM
I like mine lit up all the way all the time. My last truck didnt have much in lighting.

Nailing Malarkey
10-20-2006, 12:07 PM

Any motor cyclist will tell you ALWAYS DRIVE WITH YOUR HEAD LIGHT ON DAY OR NIGHT. In fact I think that is standard now on bikes

Makes you a lot more visible in the daylight. Granted the way the ridge is set up the nav and dash lights are a pain to keep adjusting.

On this topic I noticed in the Fuse Box a Canadian Driving light Fuse location. Anyone know exactly what that is and is it just a mater of plugging in the fuse or is some wiring or additional lights missing as well?

msmith1965
10-20-2006, 12:56 PM
Any motor cyclist will tell you ALWAYS DRIVE WITH YOUR HEAD LIGHT ON DAY OR NIGHT. In fact I think that is standard now on bikes

Makes you a lot more visible in the daylight. Granted the way the ridge is set up the nav and dash lights are a pain to keep adjusting.

On this topic I noticed in the Fuse Box a Canadian Driving light Fuse location. Anyone know exactly what that is and is it just a mater of plugging in the fuse or is some wiring or additional lights missing as well?

I believe in Canada, DRL's are law and this may be the fuse location for this. I would imagine to take advantage of the feature would require much more than the fuse. I expect you would also need to change out the headlamps and holder to support a DRL configuration.

On that topic some people like DRL's and others hate them. The automotive press roasted GM for making them standard on all vehicles.

What I would much prefer than DRL's is another safety feature that is very useful, true automatic headlights (turn on and off based on light conditions using an adjustable sensor). I think this should be standard since, especially this time of year as the days are shorter, and since standard time hasn't kicked in, you have to watch out for those folks who believe the decision to turn on one's headlights is a function of the time of day irrespective of the light conditions (it could be pitch black outside and they wouldn't turn them on).

I don't consider the RL's ability to turn it's lights off based on the position of the ignition an automatic headlight feature, or certainly a very primitive form of one. If that's the case, I have a 12 year old car with the "automatic light feature".

sjc115
11-28-2006, 06:52 AM
Has anybody tried an aftermarket 'auto headlight' systems yet? If so, where did you get it, how much did it cost, and how did it work?

I am very interested in adding auto headlights to my RTX.

jbjb
12-05-2006, 12:01 PM
As a three day owner of my new RTL, and as a 3 year owner of my Avalanche, I will agree somewhat with the automatic headlight concern. It seems my AV had an auto position on the dash for the lights, and all it did was automatically turn off the lights when you left the vehicle, and automatically turn on the lights when you started the vehicle. I was unable to adjust the time the lights stayed on after turning off the key--I just knew they'd shut off.

The Ridge appears to be similar in every way--but the annoying little dinging. After shutting down the engine, removing the key and closing the door, the lights stay on in mine for about 15 seconds. (My nephew works for a Honda dealership and is trying to find the dinger for me.)

I also agree with the brightness of the dash lights--I like the bright lited display in the daytime--at night, its a little overwhelming. I think I used the dimmer in my AV once--to set it. I find myself using the Ridge dimmer daily. That being said, the big, bright white numbers on the dash are so much more driver visible than what I had on my AV, that for me, it's definitely a comeupance! Just look at the numbers on the radio compared to the dash...

Certainly enjoying the Ridge.

Bad-Tat
12-06-2006, 04:58 PM
As a long time Motorcycle rider the problem with DRL's is that with lot's of vehicles with lights on, cage drivers don't see the bikes anymore. That was the original reason for always on headlights on bikes since 74.
My 02 Avalanche has full auto headlights. Daytime DRL only, Dark headlights.
Ridge won't have that, turning on with the key and turning off after key off, aren't auto headlights.
Picking up Dark Cherry RTL Nav tomorrow.

codex57
12-06-2006, 05:30 PM
What's the reason for DRLs again?

Is it really to be more noticeable? I dunno, out here in the fairly developed part of the country, you shouldn't need to have your lights on in the daytime to be visible to other drivers. Plenty of streets with lanes so cars should be in expected places. Daylight has sun so lighting isn't a problem. Usually tons of traffic so you won't be surprised by a car on the same road as you.

Cars are behemoth nowadays. A Civic has the interior volume of a midsize (and possibly full size) car from back in the day. If someone is missing that, they need their license taken away (or at least their cell phone).

We need to start removing cell phones (and other distractions) as well as licenses (for the MANY truly incompetent drivers). Leave DRLs for motorcycles which actually are puny (especially compared to the monster SUVs out there nowadays).

RTL2NV
12-09-2006, 02:32 PM
I'm glad I came across this thread. I had no idea about this "auto" feature. I had to go out and try it.

I love that feature, but can do without the {ding,ding,ding}...

jbjb
12-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Well, now I've had my Ridge for 3 weeks. The lack of auto headlights, and the strange dimmer switch on the dash have been somewhat frustrating for me, and it sounds like there are others in the same boat. Yesterday, I learned a new (for me) bit of info that sorta puts all my questions regarding the aforementioned two items in perspective.But before I reveal this technilogical breakthru, I must credit my source.

The dealership where I purchased my Ridge, also employs a very talented young wrench who happens to be my nephew. I've come to enjoy challenging him about the Ridge, using info gleaned from this website. I was berating him about Honda's screwy headlite system and he very calmly corrected me with regard to operation of the dimmer switch, which relates to the headlite question of whether or not to leave them on 24/7. Here's what he said.

While sitting in the car turn the key on, but leave the headelights off. Now turn the dimmer to full bright as would normally be the case in the day with headlights off and dimmer full bright. Next, turn the lights on and then adjust the dimmer to the brightness you'd like to like to have at night with the headlights on. Now turn the lights off and the key off. The rheostat is now set. During the day, with the headlites off, your dash lights will be full bright. Whenever you switch the lights on, your dash lights will automatically dim to the position you choose earlier. How civilized.

Of course, the concept of leaving your headllites on all the time will negate your dimmer setting. Should you choose to leave your headlites on 24/7, you'll have to constantly set your rheostat. Should you choose to turn your headlites on and off all the time, your dash lites will work automatically. Sort of a 'catch-22'--you have to work one switch, you just get to choose the one.

Now as a suggestion for whoever wants to develop an automatic headlight switch, simply change the manual lite switch to an automatic one, and leave the dimmer set. Now everytime your electric eye turns on your headlights, you dash will automatically dim.

Ain't life grand?

rbrucerobson
01-17-2008, 01:09 PM
I have just added an automatic headlight control to my 2007 Ridgeline and it works as expected, with the exception on a delay of 10 seconds when the key is turned on. It turns the lights on a dusk, and off when it is light. The only problem is the delay part of the module to leave the lights on for a period of time does not work, but the factory method will still work if you put up with the buzzer.

wilbcol
01-18-2008, 02:01 PM
Make sense except... when it is cloudy, foggy or raining outside and you want to use your headlights for safty. But, when you turn on the headlights the dash and nav unit dim and can be difficult to see in the daytime.

qlake
01-18-2008, 06:23 PM
I have just added an automatic headlight control to my 2007 Ridgeline and it works as expected, with the exception on a delay of 10 seconds when the key is turned on. It turns the lights on a dusk, and off when it is light. The only problem is the delay part of the module to leave the lights on for a period of time does not work, but the factory method will still work if you put up with the buzzer.

How did you add them, or where did you get the kit?
Thanks

BigFoote
01-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Yeah, what he said.How did you add them, or where did you get the kit?
Thanks

greyridge
01-20-2008, 09:16 PM
I know that not everyone is handy with a soldering iron, but this circuit loks like it will do the trick.

http://www.siliconchip.com.au/cms/A_30302/article.html

Interested in feedback from any adventurous souls who try it.

Mr Bigs
01-21-2008, 08:51 AM
What you guys are looking for is the DEI Nite Lite system model # 545T http://www.drdetailshop.com/545T.htm it also activates the headlights when you turn on your wipers and has a DRL feature if your vehicle doesn't have em.

dropshadow
01-24-2008, 08:40 PM
What you guys are looking for is the DEI Nite Lite system model # 545T http://www.drdetailshop.com/545T.htm it also activates the headlights when you turn on your wipers and has a DRL feature if your vehicle doesn't have em.

Have you bought or installed this kit? Do you have installation documents? Where is the photocell mounted? The website is not very descriptive or useful.

twincam
01-30-2008, 12:50 PM
I had my Nite-Lite installed when I had the Viper security put in and I had them mount the sensor on the top of the dash in the middle. The system works great.

dropshadow
01-30-2008, 05:24 PM
I had my Nite-Lite installed when I had the Viper security put in and I had them mount the sensor on the top of the dash in the middle. The system works great.

what exactly did you buy? do you have a link? how does it work...do you just keep the headlights knob ON the whole time, and then it will automatically work based on available light? will it automatically switch the lights on when you turn on the windshield wipers? basically, is it exactly like an OEM automatic light system preinstalled in other cars?

twincam
01-31-2008, 09:28 AM
I bought the DTI Nite Lite 545 off the web. There are a number of places that sell them. The local Audio store that did the Viper and Nite Lite install also sells them but I didn't know that at the time. The headlight switch is in the off position and the system controls the lights. It does have a DTR feature if you want that. I didn't so I disabled it. When you turn the wipers on the lights come on, but only in the low or high speed position. The lights will not come on when the wipers are in the intermittent mode. It also has a switch so you can shut the lights off if you do not want them on, like if you are pulling into your girlfriend's driveway and you don't want to be seen. :D
You can also turn the lights on with the standard switch anytime you want them on, but I just leave it off and let the system control them.

dropshadow
01-31-2008, 07:51 PM
ok , last question...what happens with the DEI lite system if you install it with NAV? will the nav switch to night mode when the lights go on, if you have it set to auto? or does it stay in day mode the whole time regardless if your headlights are on or not?

twincam
02-01-2008, 09:12 AM
I do not have Nav, but I would guess it would function just like you turned your headlight switch on. My dash lights dim normally when the DEI system turns the headlights on.

Ridge_can
02-09-2008, 06:34 PM
Hello all
New to the forum not long ago I purchased a 2006 Ridgeline
I live in Canada My vehicle was Imported from Canada So I have the same problem especially all my older vehicles had auto head light & daytime running lights because it is a mandatory law

I have been puzzled buy this problem because the dash light being lithe, I forget to turn on the headlight

Also using a remote starter since it is very cold up hear the parking lights came on with the remote starter

I looked up this site & glad you gave the advice for the DEI system I will order one & install it next week I found one for under $40 us + shipping if it works good I will follow up with the link for anyone else who would be interested

Great forum you got here keep up the great work