What is "Trip Computer" Issue [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: What is "Trip Computer" Issue

Coastline
07-20-2006, 05:43 AM
We have the RTL with Navi and have been reading about this "Trip Computer" problem. My wife and I have used the navi for 4 months and was not aware of this. Could someone explain what this is about?

A few things she complaigns about:
No mirror on drivers sun visor.
No automatic headlights, like other vehicles.
Poor gas mileage, I know, I know but we traded our '03 Z-71 Suburban was expecting better mileage.

She was also saying she could unlock the doors from inside the house and when she got to the truck, it was locked again. Funny Thing, I found the answer in the forums this morning. Everything is easy when you know the answer.

swampler
07-20-2006, 06:16 AM
The trip computer issue is not having a trip computer. i.e. the good folks with Navi believe it should automatically calculate their gas mileage on the fly...current, average, etc.

BlueRidge06
07-20-2006, 07:10 AM
A few things she complaigns about:
No mirror on drivers sun visor.

Same complaint here, that was one of the first things I looked for when I got in my RL.....oh well, it's just a preference thing, I'd probably never use it anyway.

It'd be nice if the armrests weren't cloth. I'm afraid they'll turn a couple shades darker in a few months :( A plasticky finish would be much easier to clean and scrub.....more truck-like....

Coastline
07-20-2006, 08:42 AM
Now, I get it and I was wondering about that. It is funny that it has a calculator but no mileage calcualtion. My '00 Astro van had it, my Chrysler 300 has it and both cost less than the Ridgeline.

Another question. I pull a 19' Carolina Skiff that weighs about 2500 lbs, boat, motor, trailer. I pull it on the interstate and I use the tow button which keeps it from shifting into overdrive. Of course the RPM's go way up at 70mph. I was wondering if it is necessary to use the tow feature with half the tow capacity.

Coastline Doug in the Midlands of SC

RAdams
07-20-2006, 08:44 AM
You do not have to use D3 to tow anything, especially 2500 lbs. You'll note a dramatic improvement in gas mileage by allowing the transmission to use 4th and 5th gears.

BIGGUY
07-20-2006, 09:04 AM
Now, I get it and I was wondering about that. It is funny that it has a calculator but no mileage calcualtion. My '00 Astro van had it, my Chrysler 300 has it and both cost less than the Ridgeline.

Another question. I pull a 19' Carolina Skiff that weighs about 2500 lbs, boat, motor, trailer. I pull it on the interstate and I use the tow button which keeps it from shifting into overdrive. Of course the RPM's go way up at 70mph. I was wondering if it is necessary to use the tow feature with half the tow capacity.

I have an RTL and I don't know what a "TOW BUTTON" is:confused: If your talking about the D3 button this is actually an "UNDERDRIVE" it keeps the trans from shifting into 4th and 5th gears. Should "NOT" be used at highway speeds:eek: Thats why your RPM's go up your locked in the 3 lower gears. This will lead to overheating of the transmission:eek: Please read your owners manual it explains what the D3 is used for:rolleyes:

Lingered_I
07-20-2006, 06:54 PM
The trip computer issue is not having a trip computer. i.e. the good folks with Navi believe it should automatically calculate their gas mileage on the fly...current, average, etc.
The issue is that the Ridgeline w/Navi did have a Trip Computer as evidenced in a Quick Guide that was distributed with very early production models. Honda decided to disable it due to concern that the instantaneous mpg figures confuse consumers and lead to support costs. The cynical amongst use might believe it's because Honda realised that the truck was going to have trouble living up to it's 16-21mpg EPA rating. The fact that anyone with half a brain can calculate mpg numbers didn't desuade them from yanking it.

To quote Gary Flint, the Ridgeline Chief Engineer:

Based on previous market experience, displaying fuel economy information actually increases market complaints. Either from inaccuracies from re-fueling techniques (the system is typically more accurate at calculating fuel economy than the consumer), or displaying real-time information. The average consumer does not fully understand the engineering impact of weather affects, temperature (air density), or driving habits (speed/traffic).

I don't think he gives us a lot of credit.

vertrkr
07-20-2006, 07:26 PM
After talking with Gary a few times, he indicated he had nothing to do with the decision to disable the trip computer, he was just presenting the facts. It was execs above him that felt burned by a JD Powers survey with the MDX which had a trip computer and new owners reported losey mpg which ranked the MDX pretty low because JD put alot of weight on the mpg factor. The green minded Honda managment & marketing had a fit and decided to disable it on the ridgeline knowing it was their worst mpg vehicle in the fleet and did not want to chance a bad JD Powers survey to hurt sales. That's the whole story in a nut shell.

The issue is that the Ridgeline w/Navi did have a Trip Computer has evidenced in a Quick Guide that was distributed with very early production models. Honda decided to disable it due to concern that the instantaneous mpg figures confuse consumers and lead to support costs. The cynical amongst use might believe it's because Honda realised that the truck was going to have trouble living up to it's 16-21mpg EPA rating. The fact that anyone with half a brain can calculate mpg numbers didn't desuade them from yanking it.

To quote Gary Flint, the Ridgeline Chief Engineer:

I don't think he gives us a lot of credit.

Pug
07-20-2006, 07:38 PM
The issue is that the Ridgeline w/Navi did have a Trip Computer has evidenced in a Quick Guide that was distributed with very early production models. Honda decided to disable it...
... not to mention the included Climate Control capabilities, and wasn't Nav Traffic a consideration? I thought I'd seen it mentioned that we'd also lost that capability somewhere along the way... maybe not.
My personal gripe is that it seems to just be a "no/low cost" software upgrade that would enable all this!
Having a proven piece of useful technology withheld from the masses by "corporate decision" has always been a pet peeve of mine. :mad:

Got a ScanGauge II to assuage my "trip computer woes", for now...

cdepuydt
07-20-2006, 09:21 PM

Coastline, the D3 button is not a "towing button"! Do not use it when towing you could really hose up your tranny especially if you take it up to highway speeds in D3!!! Read your owners manual on proper use of the D3 button.

Coastline
07-21-2006, 12:35 PM
Well I did oull out the owners manual. I had an Astro van and a Z71 Suburban and they both had "tow" buttons on the end of the shift lever. When engaged, a little "trailer" light would light on the instrument panel. It changed the shift pattern, did not allow it to shift into over-drive and it was recommended not to tow in over-drive because of transmission over heating.

I guess the Honda solution is backwards from GM, Go figure.

mugen1
07-21-2006, 01:03 PM
I guess the Honda solution is backwards from GM, Go figure.

And guess who's doing better in the marketplace.....................