Top Plastic Bed Rails Coming OFF! [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: Top Plastic Bed Rails Coming OFF!

Ridgeflyer
07-29-2006, 04:36 PM
:mad:

I've had my Ridge since the end of March! Love it! BUT, my plastic bed rails along the top side of the bed are separating from the front attachments. I took it in for a car wash today and when I got home I could lift the front rails up about 2" to 3"!

Anyone else have this problem....solution?

I'm taking it to the dealer next week for another speaker cover vibration issue, so I'll try to get this addressed as well. I hate plastic parts! :(

I just may have to do all my washing at home now...or at least go to a touch-less car wash in the future...

rtpjunior
07-29-2006, 04:59 PM
:mad:

I've had my Ridge since the end of March! Love it! BUT, my plastic bed rails along the top side of the bed are separating from the front attachments. I took it in for a car wash today and when I got home I could lift the front rails up about 2" to 3"!

Anyone else have this problem....solution?

I'm taking it to the dealer next week for another speaker cover vibration issue, so I'll try to get this addressed as well. I hate plastic parts! :(

I just may have to do all my washing at home now...or at least go to a touch-less car wash in the future...

....had the same problem. The rail cap is easily fixed. At the very back of the cap, you'll see one of the "oval" shaped ribs had a notch for a screwdriver. Pop it off, and remove the screw underneath. The rail cap will slide back a few inches, then it will lift right off. You'll see the "keyhole" notches in the top of the bed rail sheetmetal. The cap has plastic tabs that line up into the notches, then slide the cap forward. Re-insatll the screw, and plastic cap.

Ridgeflyer
07-29-2006, 07:15 PM
Thanks RTP!

I'll go take a look at it...this is why I love this forum so much! It's a plethora of information!

Thanks again...:D

Truckin'
07-29-2006, 09:58 PM
Our first encounter with this problem came today with a couple who drove down to our ROC-ky Mountain Meet in Utah. Just last week, if I remember correctly, they were driving up to Park City and noticed the right bedrail flapping and folded back in half.

You're mentioned solution helped them but is not the final answer for them for two reasons: Some of the plastic tabs that go into the keyholes are broken off and there is a bulge in the plastic where it folded. They have a new one on order and will have it replaced under warranty.

I'm going to forward this thread onto Gary and Darlene. I'm sure they'll be very interested in reading this, as we'd told them that was a new issue we hadn't heard of before. Maybe they'll go ahead and join the ROC! :D

BillB
07-31-2006, 07:44 AM
Those tabs are easily broken, especially by anyone removing them who does not know the removal trick. After the back set screws are removed, the cap piece must be slid back about 1 inch and then can be safely lifted. If you try to lift the cap off forceably, it will break a couple of tabs.

Ridgeflyer
08-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Ok All,

I had my Bed Finishers fixed today at the dealership. Service manager said they have been starting to see a few more trucks with this problem. He said they had one truck that the Finisher blew completely off. Bummer!

The warranty covered an $84.42 fix! Hopefully, this will not show up again? Fingers crossed...

jpphoto
08-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Mine didn't come off luckily, but someone did tighten down the screws too much at the factory. The plastic under the screws got pinched and the screw popped through. Dealer ordered two new ones with no questions.:)

when removing and reattaching be careful how much you tighten down those screws.

Pizza Man
08-09-2006, 02:30 PM
Ironicaly, I started a thread a few days ago concerning an experience I had at my local car wash. When my RL came out of the wash rack I noticed the attendants taped down the front of each cap. I assume they had a problem with a RL once before and do this as a precaution.

Ridgeflyer
08-09-2006, 10:42 PM
The car wash did a number on my rails...that's when I first noticed the problem...I think in the future, I'll take some blue drywall tape and tape the fronts down before I let it go thru the car wash.

mugen1
08-09-2006, 11:31 PM
Good info - thanks. Mine has always been sitting about half an inch off. I thought it was safe and wouldn't come off. I guess I better get it fixed before it really gets damaged or lose it altogether.

swampler
08-10-2006, 07:02 PM
I use the touchless car washes quite a bit, especially in cold weather and for "quickie" washes. No problems with the bed rails. Hope it doesn't become one as I'm almost out of the warranty period.

Truckin'
10-01-2006, 04:59 PM
This first set of photos are from our ROC-ky Mountain Meet where we met Gary and saw the damage to his bed rail.

Truckin'
10-01-2006, 05:52 PM
After seeing Gary's problem when ours arose it seemed almost insignificant. After getting it out of the car wash I noticed about four inches of this thin gasket flapping. We decided to report it to Honda in the event that the gasket would allow wind to pick up the bed rail and fold it back like Gary's.

Honda ordered and installed a completely new bed rail, which seemed excessive to me since our rail had no broken clips. The tech tagged the old rail and explained to us that every defective part gets sent back to Honda and is analyzed to see what went wrong. He said they are extremely good about identifying and correcting problems quickly. I know that isn't going to fly for those of you on the forum who had to fight and wait to get problems corrected and I'm sad your interactions have been stressful.

The tech suggested that the detached gasket or sticky tape could have let dirt and water in and caused corrosion so he didn't think we were wrong to have it corrected even if it wasn't a serious problem. Yet. That's why we did it, to be proactive and prevent something worse from developing.

The first two pics are of the tab that hides the screws at the tailgate end of the rail. The third pic is the tape that came loose. The last photo is a close up of some of the tabs along the rail that need to be lined up and slid into place.

BIGPATCAL
10-02-2006, 08:04 AM
Same deal here. Car wash broke a few tabs on the underside of the rail. Had to replace them.

chapds
12-18-2006, 08:51 PM
My Heros Once Again...

Had the same prob on one of my rails from the dealer. You guys just saved me 50 miles & a headache. God I love this forum. Thanx again. Too funny stumbled across this on while looking for a fix for the " check fuel cap " warning. Everyday I swear, you find good information here...

Thanx
Chap

Truckin'
12-18-2006, 10:21 PM
Glad to be of help, Chapds.

Gummy173
07-13-2009, 02:37 PM
Mine just broke off today at the car wash on my 07.

Andy-Montreal
07-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Just a reminder to all that the bed rails were modified & improved so that this would not happen again. TSB 08-028 covers this issue. Thanks to Schwejo for contributing.

Jack
07-13-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm no engineer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but looking at the pix I have to wonder what engineer thought this up? From a outsiders view, it seems that they should be the other way around in that the hooks face backwards and you have to slide the plastic rail forward to un-hook it instead of backwards after you remove the screw. That way the air flow would push the hooks into the slots instead of out of the slots as it does currently. Air flow alone would keep them on the truck and you would have to drive in reverse really really fast to get them to fly up like they do in the current configuration.

Am I just taking too simplistic an approach here? :cool:

Andy-Montreal
07-14-2009, 09:27 AM
Am I just taking too simplistic an approach here? :cool:

Maybe. An engineer is schooled and trained to perform the most complicated approach in finding a viable and practical solution to a simple design study.

Here's just a few scenarios that I would consider if called upon to design such a component:
1) Car wash brushes. Their rotation and force applied to the bed rail. Water pressure jets. Effect on extended trim flanges.
2) Live loads within the bed coming into contact with bed rails. Lateral forces applied from within by humans or animals.
3) Fastening points using a mechanical fastener (bolt or screw). Leading edge or trailing edge. One or two.
4) Environmental effect on large part and deformation due to temperature swing, sun (UVA/UVB), etc...
5) Bean counters upstairs from my office forcing me to re-engineer the part since they originally under-estimated the cost at a ridiculous amount in the first place.

My friend purchased an '08 F-150 with a short bed last year and everytime he loads 8'-0'' long sheetrock or plywood into the bed (with the tailgate closed), the top tailgate trim piece keeps snapping off. I guess Ford engineers never figured that there would be an angular or perpendicular force applied to the trim. After all, it's just a trim piece.:rolleyes::)

Jack
07-14-2009, 09:20 PM
I guess I am just too simple!:)

Oh well, that's why I don't design cars or airplanes for a living.:D

lorunner1213
07-20-2009, 07:33 PM
Dont know if any of you guys did that TSb yet but the new bed rails are completely differant. If you look at the third pic that Truckin' posted that curve portion isnt there anymore. Now its straight. I guess the brushes from the car wash were getting hooked on the edge and ripping them off.

8086bruce
07-23-2009, 12:40 PM
WOW this forum is great I have noticed one of my caps looking funny and sitting up of the bed and after reading this I went out and 1 screw and about 30 seconds it was fixed! thanks!

VuLe110
07-23-2009, 07:03 PM
So since there has been an updated "bed rail trim molding", as stated on the service bulletin a couple posts ago, can everyone with this problem go to the dealership to get it replaced for free? I bought a used 2007 RTL but I don't know if I still have warranty, other than the 60K Drive Train. I'm at about 48K right now.

Andy-Montreal
07-23-2009, 10:56 PM
So since there has been an updated "bed rail trim molding", as stated on the service bulletin a couple posts ago, can everyone with this problem go to the dealership to get it replaced for free?

Nope. If your vehicle's warranty is over, you pay.

talongrey
09-10-2013, 03:54 PM
Is there anywhere I can order the bed rail and clips? One of mine flew off and truck is not under warranty.

RustyH
09-11-2013, 07:10 AM
Your local Honda Dealer can take care of that for you, or Bernardi Honda can take care of you as well. Try this link, look for parts

http://www.bernardiparts.com/SearchOptionsV7.aspx?Search=MODEL&ModelID=honda-ridgeline-parts

After filling in your vehicle information, go to section "interior and bumper" then go to the "molding" section.

Look for parts 10, 11, 13, 14 and 39.

Be prepared to buy two new rails, one for each side. Honda changed the design slightly and unless you buy a pair, your new rail cover won't match your old one.

talongrey
09-11-2013, 05:09 PM
Your local Honda Dealer can take care of that for you, or Bernardi Honda can take care of you as well. Try this link, look for parts

http://www.bernardiparts.com/SearchOptionsV7.aspx?Search=MODEL&ModelID=honda-ridgeline-parts

After filling in your vehicle information, go to section "interior and bumper" then go to the "molding" section.

Look for parts 10, 11, 13, 14 and 39.

Be prepared to buy two new rails, one for each side. Honda changed the design slightly and unless you buy a pair, your new rail cover won't match your old one.

I tried to do that but there is no price listed for items 10 & 13. Can you help, please?

RustyH
09-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Again, they discontinued the earlier model bed rails. Change your year to 2010. It doesn't matter for trim, just go with RTL and follow with my previous instructions. FYI...prices for 2010 are just over $20, but don't forget to order new retainer screws and retainer screw covers, because your old covers won't work.

Truckin'
09-17-2013, 03:25 PM
Talk to your parts person when ordering. We did not have to order the retainer covers and screws when we converted to the better, new design with the blunt front. All that came with our new rails. We've had the new ones for years now with no further issues.

bobcatpilot
11-07-2013, 07:49 AM
I just replaced mine and other than the squared off front, all the attachments underneath look the same. Hopefully this holds up, but I was hoping for something a bit more than the same clips.

I ordered through Bernardi. I was able to use the existing screws and plastic caps (caps were not included with the rails). I ordered the caps just in case they were different, but they weren't.