Air Conditioning Problem Tracking... [Archive] - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

: Air Conditioning Problem Tracking...

csimo
07-29-2006, 05:02 PM
If you've had air conditioning problems with your Ridgeline and had it back to the dealer please post here. I'm trying to track down any kind of systemic a/c problems.

What I request is that you post the problem you described to the dealer, and what the dealer did to correct the problem. Please try and post the description, including part numbers, from the repair order if possible.

Please try and keep this a data tracking thread... not a discussion of a/c issues.

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks,
-Joe

Ridege55
07-31-2006, 06:17 PM
System did not blow cold at all, there was no difference between vent, a/c and a/c max. I took it to the dealer and they re-charged the system and tested for leaks (there were none). Air conditioning works great now, and it is still very cold 3 months after taking it to the dealer.

RIDGELINERNR
07-31-2006, 06:56 PM
I did a trip from 70 miles west of Fargo ND last weekend on a 6 hour trip back home to Minneapolis Mn last weekend in 102 degrees and did not have any problems(16000 miles, build date 04/05, no water leaks, slight windshield wond noise), air blew very cold. But would be interested if there is a problem or if I can help. I have ALLDATA at my desktop at work:D

bounder4465
08-05-2006, 07:17 PM
My ridgeline has 1,000 miles on it. After I let it sit for 2 days when I start it the ac makes a metalic crash sound followed by a big thump. The first time it made the noise I shut it off and looked under it for some parts scattered on the ground, but found none.

Since then I have determined it must sit for 2 days (warm starts are fine, and overnight is not long enough), and it will only do it on a cold start when the ac starts. The ac cools fine, but the noise if unsettling on that cold start. Before I call the dealer, has anyone else had this same complaint??

jmoff
08-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Joe,
I just started having problems when the real heat hit last week. The air will cool but not get cold. Takes a while just to get a little cool. I will be calling the Dealer this week when I return from my trip. Will advise.

Joe

I need to respond on the AM radio problem as well.

Truckin'
08-08-2006, 09:44 PM
We complained that the AC was not working correctly or well the last maintenance visit we had. It was blowing loudly but not putting out the volume of air we remembered from last summer. It was not cooling the truck down like it did before either. The service department suggested changing the cabin filter but they would have to order one. We declined when we heard the ridiculous price they wanted. We went home and cleaned the filter ourselves and have great winds and cold air again! Problem solved for this summer at no cost. We will be replacing the filter ourselves when we get a new one.

cwthompson7002
08-09-2006, 10:47 AM
I just finished a 1200 mile round trip. My A/C stopped blowing cold air and lost more than half of it's force of air at least twice. I turned it off; waited about 15 minutes, and both times it worked as it it had never happen. I have yet to take it to the dealer. In most cases if they cannot repeat the problem they think you have no idea what you are talking about or I end wanted to grab some kid and beat him. I never have problems local, so it must freeze up or something. I'll post the results when I see the dealer.

BIGGUY
08-09-2006, 11:34 AM
I just finished a 1200 mile round trip. My A/C stopped blowing cold air and lost more than half of it's force of air at least twice. I turned it off; waited about 15 minutes, and both times it worked as it it had never happen. I have yet to take it to the dealer. In most cases if they cannot repeat the problem they think you have no idea what you are talking about or I end wanted to grab some kid and beat him. I never have problems local, so it must freeze up or something. I'll post the results when I see the dealer.
Check out this thread posted by Truckin' "Clean or replace your own cabin filter, improve air flow & save a bundle". This may be your problem it sure made a differance in our system:cool:

del518
08-09-2006, 04:35 PM
A/C did not blow cold air. The air temp. was the same whether you would use the A/C or vent....there was no difference.

When I took it back to the dealer, they recharged the system, and I have had no problems since.

schmido
08-14-2006, 05:30 PM
The fan on my AC developed a mind of its own. I have a RT so the AC controls are manual. I took it to the dealer and they finally called tech support and ordered a complete AC control unit. Since then the AC itself has developed a mind of its own. The AC turns on and off when ever it wants. I called the dealer and he said the controller will fix everything. If anyone is interested I will post the results when the part is installed.

waders
08-14-2006, 10:45 PM
Most A/C units are designed in such a way that it is not advisable to run in the 'recirculate' mode at continuous high speeds. It can cause the evaporator coil inside the cabin to ice up, reducing air flow. If you find this happening, experiment by moving the controls to outside air, i.e. not on recirculate and see if the air flow returns in a few minutes. Unusual sounds, however, should never be emitted from the system. Take it to the dealer. Even if you cannot duplicate the concern, make sure it is noted on their repair order to start a paper trail. This may be helpful later if lemon laws need to be addressed.

pbear
08-15-2006, 05:15 AM
Last month, my AC motor bit the big one. It didn't happen all at once, in fact the first time I started 'er up that day, half way down the road, I noticed the recirculate led blinking erratically, then came the smell. You know that electrical short smell and I thought, NO WAY, this cannot be happening. I pullled over, restarted and everything seemed fine, until the next time I started 'er up at the shopping center, the AC fan, she was no more. The service department replaced the AC fan and connection harness. (which in my case was shipped separately! ???) It took nearly 8 days to get this fixed. Problem was, the dashboard center console has to be removed and I had to take 'er back 3 times just so they could reattach it. First the left side was loose, then the right side was loose, then the left side again....the 3 stooges couldn't have written a better script.
It still isn't put back on correctly, but it's satisfactory. The service department kept on telling me that since the truck was so new, replacement parts had not ramped up sufficiently and there was a shortage. Can you say BULL**** to the Cotton-Eyed Joe?

outtaline
08-15-2006, 09:35 PM
If your evap ices up there is an issue with the thermosta or freon level. The system will NEVER freeze under correct serviced condition. Unless you have a specific reason to run the outside air, it is always advisable to run recirculate mode. This lessens the load on the system by dropping the pressures as you are pulling cooler air across the evap , which translates to lower high side pressue.

"Qoute" Most A/C units are designed in such a way that it is not advisable to run in the 'recirculate' mode at continuous high speeds. It can cause the evaporator coil inside the cabin to ice up, reducing air flow. If you find this happening, experiment by moving the controls to outside air, i.e. not on recirculate and see if the air flow returns in a few minutes. Unusual sounds, however, should never be emitted from the system. Take it to the dealer. Even if you cannot duplicate the concern, make sure it is noted on their repair order to start a paper trail. This may be helpful later if lemon laws need to be addressed.[/quote]

John Whitney
08-30-2006, 10:35 PM
I have an 06 RTL w/ 2,200 miles on it. I live in Arizona, and I have not been too happy with the output or tempurature of the AC. Two days ago, in 110 degree heat, the unit started putting out warm air whenever the RPMs dropped. I took it in to the Honda dealership and it turns out that I had a leak at the AC pressure switch. They replaced the switch and recharged the system today. Hopefully this will solve the temperature issue. Still not too satisfied with the volume of air that this unit is capable of. The CRX they gave me as a loaner put out twice the air! But, it was nice to be back behind the wheel of the Ridgeline!!

The best AC I ever seen is in my other car - an '04 Lexus LX470. That thing is bone chilling cold and could push a sailboat with its blower.

John Whitney
09-23-2006, 11:47 AM
Well, it has been almost a month, with pretty hot temps here in Phoenix, and the AC is working like a charm. Very cold air, and I have not had to use the high fan setting except maybe once or twice. I am very glad that it was a fixable issue and not a design problem.

dlg_az
09-23-2006, 12:20 PM
Well, it has been almost a month, with pretty hot temps here in Phoenix, and the AC is working like a charm. Very cold air, and I have not had to use the high fan setting except maybe once or twice. I am very glad that it was a fixable issue and not a design problem.
John, DO join us in the October Phx Ridgeline meet. We're just now trying to pull together a meeting place and would love to have you join us. Here's the link: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9611

Ridege55
03-15-2007, 11:59 AM
I am going to revive this thread again. I had my air conditioning recharged back in July and it worked just fine. It was over 90 degrees this weekend and I turned on the A/C, and it is blowing warm again. Anyone having this recurring problem?

Chromehead
03-15-2007, 02:03 PM
I am going to revive this thread again. I had my air conditioning recharged back in July and it worked just fine. It was over 90 degrees this weekend and I turned on the A/C, and it is blowing warm again. Anyone having this recurring problem?

I have not had my RL long enough to know. But, I did own a brand new civic one time, and that darn car would lose freon like crazy. The rubber washer/seals would go bad, and they kept replacing them, and re-charging it. I ended up selling that car with only 18k on the clock, as it had so many little issues it was in the shop more than I drove it. So, my first Honda experience was not good. This is my second honda with the RL ... hope it goes better for me !

kwoodman
03-15-2007, 03:31 PM
I have not had my RL long enough to know. But, I did own a brand new civic one time, and that darn car would lose freon like crazy. The rubber washer/seals would go bad, and they kept replacing them, and re-charging it. I ended up selling that car with only 18k on the clock, as it had so many little issues it was in the shop more than I drove it. So, my first Honda experience was not good. This is my second honda with the RL ... hope it goes better for me !

Yea... I am having big problems with my air conditioner. Each day has a high temp of about 25F. Friggin cold! So don't tell me about dealing with the heat, guys... Just waiting for the ice to go out of the lake, so I can resume kayaking. Can hardly wait for air conditioning weather.

Cheers.

csimo
03-15-2007, 05:02 PM

I have no hard data, but I'm told that Ridgeline's commonly have leaking a/c condensors. Your report is consistant with this issue.

I don't know if Honda has taken steps to correct this problem in current production or not.

Ridege55
03-16-2007, 01:00 AM
I have no hard data, but I'm told that Ridgeline's commonly have leaking a/c condensors. Your report is consistant with this issue.

I don't know if Honda has taken steps to correct this problem in current production or not.

Well, I have an appointment set for Tuesday to looks at the overall system and get a recharge. I'll keep you posted.

Ridege55
03-21-2007, 02:52 PM
Well, I have a leak in a hose... and it probably came out of the factory this way. 6 months after I purchased the car I needed a recharge and 8 months after that I need another recharge. Hose is on order and hopefully that rectifies the problem.

INRidgeman
03-26-2007, 08:38 PM
This appears to be quality control issues at the factory. A/C isnt rocket science and you dont get more simple than auto A/C. Next time you are dealer with a issue. You dont just want it just recharged. Not only is it bad practice on their part its illegal for them to do so (EPA) if they dont fix the leak first. cause you will be back again ...again...and again until warranty is gone then its your dime and you just made your very own hole in the ozone layer:eek:(joking !but some believe so , but I wont get started on that) . Have them find leak(s) and put system under a deep vacuum and see if it stays there for at least a couple of hours before they recharge and make sure they weigh it in to factory specs.

Some preventative maintenance that you can do is go get a $2.00 schrader tool . a hvac parts house might even give you a small promotional screw driver with one on it. and snug (dont go conan on them or you can mar the seals) the schrader valves on the service ports once or twice a year, and always keep the caps on the service ports as tight as you can go "finger tight" and dont loose the o-rings in the caps if you take them off. Also its good to run the A/C for brief periods of time in the winter. it help keeps seals from possibly drying out and cracking causing leakage.

If you suspect you have a leak look for small traces of refrigerant oil around fittings/caps and joints these will also attract dirt if they have been leaking a while. Get a spay bottle and put some dish soap and water and spray away. look for bubbles if its a small leak it may be hard to see. If you have a inpection mirror use it peak around at hard to see areas. remember AC is a 1 day seminar for most auto mechanics so now you may know more than some of them.

captmiddy
03-28-2007, 01:44 PM
Interestingly enough, this last couple weeks I was driving my Ridgeline, and it is still a tad too warm for AC for real cooling, but it got cold and humid one day and I needed it to defrost my windows. The heating unit was putting out warm damp air to my feeling, and my wife agreed. I turned the unit to lo which should force the AC to run at max and it was still damp and not really that cold for the day. I wonder if I may need to have it looked at in the near future prior to getting to an actual hot summer day.

As to the hole in the O-Zone layer, that was with Freon, the new stuff they put in AC units isn't as bad on the environment as the old stuff, it also isn't as good at cooling as the old stuff was.

INRidgeman
03-28-2007, 03:17 PM
you're right on R-134a efficiency not being the same as R-12 its approx 2/3 as efficient. 134a is much better for enviroment buts it still regulated.
it eventually be phased out as well.

Have not had my ridge long enough to know exactly how auto controls and defrost function together . damper sequence, ac, reheating dehumidified air etc....

groupset
07-03-2008, 04:38 PM
Thought I'd revive this thread with a summary of my recent A/C problem. I have an '06 RT; this is the second summer I've owned it. I've never been overly impressed with its A/C capabilities, but I always seemed comfortable enough until a couple of weeks ago - that's when I noticed that above 80-85 degrees it was pretty much useless. Took it to the dealership, here's their comment from the service ticket after the repair: "Tech checked AC performance system pressures. System low. Check for leaks found leak at O-rings on expansion valve lines at firewall. Tech evac AC system replaced O-rings on suction and discharge pipe. Recharged system. AC normal at this time." Indeed, it's blowing cold air now! Didn't realize how bad it had gotten. Part numbers shown for O-rings were 80871-SN7-003 and 80873-ST7-000; plus R134 refrigerant, part no. 08798-9017.

Cajun Country Ridgeline
09-04-2008, 10:05 AM
My 06 RTL/SR is still in the shop. It took two days to find a blower transitor, but when installed it didnot work.
Service dept took the blower fan apart and discovered that the fan had frozen up and over heated and melted the harness wiring.
They located the fan and blower transitor but there are only 4 harnesses in the country and no one will turn them loose.

We need our truck to clean up after Gustav and the heat is already up in the low 90*. My Ridge is still down at the shop and the Honda dealers refuse to help out.
If this is the way Honda dealers and company treat their customers, it might be time to find another vehicle.

There must be a serious problem for a dealer to horde a part and not share with another dealer to help a customer get their vehicle back on the road.:mad: :mad:

crj_lll
09-16-2008, 10:57 PM
I have an 06 RTL. Today my A/C was working just fine. Cold and strong as the day I got it. I pulled into the garage and turned the car off. About an hour later I came out to go to dinner and the nothing.

When I mean nothing, I mean the A/C does not work at all as in no fan, no compressor sound when it turn on. Basically no signs of life short of the lighjts on the dash.

The heater is the same way. No fan, no hat and absolutly no signs of life.

Since both were not working I was looking for a central fuse or something that may have blown and inactivated the entire HVAC system.

Now before you ask, I will say it again. Nothing works. NOTHING. The dash works for the A/C Controls but they do not activate the system in anyway at all.

Anyone have any ideas?

MikeT
09-17-2008, 05:08 AM
I have an 06 RTL. Today my A/C was working just fine. Cold and strong as the day I got it. I pulled into the garage and turned the car off. About an hour later I came out to go to dinner and the nothing.

When I mean nothing, I mean the A/C does not work at all as in no fan, no compressor sound when it turn on. Basically no signs of life short of the lighjts on the dash.

The heater is the same way. No fan, no hat and absolutly no signs of life.

Since both were not working I was looking for a central fuse or something that may have blown and inactivated the entire HVAC system.

Now before you ask, I will say it again. Nothing works. NOTHING. The dash works for the A/C Controls but they do not activate the system in anyway at all.

Anyone have any ideas?

Check out (Last post):
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22721&highlight=AC+stop&page=2

Cajun Country Ridgeline
09-17-2008, 07:03 AM
Today is Sept. 17th and I am waiting for a call from my Honda Dealer to tell me the wiring harness for the fan blower has come in. They have had our Ridge since Aug. 26th.
If they come up with another excuse for no delivery, I am wondering what recourse I can take.
I have had no problems with the Ridge until this incident with the fan blower freezing up and melting the wire harness, that they cant seem to get replaced.

We have been on the critical back order list for over 10 days, five dealers in the country had the part but would not ship to my dealer. This is pure madness.

crj_lll
09-17-2008, 10:06 AM
Check out (Last post):
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22721&highlight=AC+stop&page=2

Thanks,

But not really the same problem. I do not have any fan speed not just a fan speed that will not listen.

Update:
Maybe it is the same problem. The service tech said it could be the fan but thought it was strange that I could not hear the compressor come on.

crj_lll
09-17-2008, 07:30 PM
Ok, the local dealer said it was my blower power transistor. He said that controls the compressor and tells it to turn on. So we will see. IT is on order now.

Cajun Country Ridgeline
09-18-2008, 06:37 PM
Good luck on finding the parts. It took them 3 days to find the transitor for my 06. They have had the truck since Aug. 26th. It turns out when they replaced the transitor, it was not the problem. The Blower fan, had seized up and melted the harness. They have promised delivery on two different occassions. Now it has been pushed to Sept. 22nd.
There appears to be some real problems in the 06's in the A/C system and Honda can not get the parts to fix the system.
Hope no one else is having this problem.

TJ in CA
09-27-2008, 11:11 AM
Joe,

I just experienced an AC transister or blower motor issue, similar but not exactly to what Member CAJUN did, I have a 06 Ridgeline. AC blower worked intermittenly, I put off taking it to the dealership and it then stopped working completely. At that point I took it in, they said it was a bad transister. They replaced the transister and that did not fix it. They then took apart the dash and said the interior air filter was clogged ( I park under a tree in my driveway ) and due to that the blower motor burned up and melted the wiring. $2200.00 to fix, my non-dealer, ex-honda mechanic said he though it was a faulty design or a faulty transister and heard of others having simlar problems. He did not think in any way the internal air filter idea had anything to due with the blower overheating. He recommended to call Honda Corp in Torrance Ca.

This happened in early Sept when we had our heat wave of over 100 degrees daily in the Bay Area California. My wife drives our child in it daily, they are both very unhappy! She bought a fan but it does not help much.

Has anyone called Honda Corp about a potential flaw and/or does anyone think they will replace this due to a potential flaw?

Have owned Honda's ever since I started driving, 26 years ago, first major issue with any of them !

Hey ROC members, any suggestions?

Thanks,

TJ :mad: :( :eek:

csimo
09-27-2008, 12:25 PM
Joe,

I just experienced an AC transister or blower motor issue, similar but not exactly to what Member CAJUN did, I have a 06 Ridgeline. AC blower worked intermittenly, I put off taking it to the dealership and it then stopped working completely. At that point I took it in, they said it was a bad transister. They replaced the transister and that did not fix it. They then took apart the dash and said the interior air filter was clogged ( I park under a tree in my driveway ) and due to that the blower motor burned up and melted the wiring. $2200.00 to fix, my non-dealer, ex-honda mechanic said he though it was a faulty design or a faulty transister and heard of others having simlar problems. He did not think in any way the internal air filter idea had anything to due with the blower overheating. He recommended to call Honda Corp in Torrance Ca.

This happened in early Sept when we had our heat wave of over 100 degrees daily in the Bay Area California. My wife drives our child in it daily, they are both very unhappy! She bought a fan but it does not help much.

Has anyone called Honda Corp about a potential flaw and/or does anyone think they will replace this due to a potential flaw?

Have owned Honda's ever since I started driving, 26 years ago, first major issue with any of them !

Hey ROC members, any suggestions?

Thanks,

TJ :mad: :( :eek:

I don't have access to any failure rate info so I can't say if this is a common problem or not. It does seem that we've had several reports recently of the transistor failure.

I also know some changes were made to the A/C system for 2007+, but I don't know if it was a result of problems or exactly what the reason was.

I think all the transistor failures I've seen reported are for 2006 models, but again I don't know the 2007+ changes.

Thanks for the reports!

Rangerted
09-04-2009, 02:51 PM
AC not blowing cold air. First tried replacing the interior filter which it needed but didn't work. Took my Ridge to the local dealer today. They called an hour later and said the Schrader valve had come loose and all the AC fluid had escaped. They refilled and added dye and inspected for leaks. None noted and the AC worked great. All done under warranty and sent me off noting that if I do have problems in the near future just to bring it back and they would be able to put the black light on it to see where it's leaking. I did not buy my truck from them but want to doff my cap to Burne Honda in Scranton for their professionalism and great customer support.

RustyH
09-04-2009, 04:16 PM
All done under warranty and sent me off noting that if I do have problems in the near future just to bring it back and they would be able to put the black light on it to see where it's leaking. I did not buy my truck from them but want to doff my cap to Burne Honda in Scranton for their professionalism and great customer support.

Glad it worked out for you, in both fixing your A/C and finding a dealership that really belives in customer service!

TheCuteOne
09-05-2009, 05:14 PM
We complained that the AC was not working correctly or well the last maintenance visit we had. It was blowing loudly but not putting out the volume of air we remembered from last summer. It was not cooling the truck down like it did before either. The service department suggested changing the cabin filter but they would have to order one. We declined when we heard the ridiculous price they wanted. We went home and cleaned the filter ourselves and have great winds and cold air again! Problem solved for this summer at no cost. We will be replacing the filter ourselves when we get a new one.

I was told to go to the store and purchase the air filter number caf1781???? at auto zone i guess, I have yet to do it because I have no idea how to install it but it seems it would be a great idea to do it now that my ac blows blah

starfixer
09-05-2009, 07:40 PM
just replaced mine (2-3 months ago) was so simple is a shame to pay for someone else to do it. I actually got some Cut to Fit A/C filter material that is superior to the paper (IMHO). Cut same size as old filter. Works great cost 14.95 for a huge sheet and is the proper thickness. Got it at Wal Mart and is washable also if you are really short on cash later on. If need the instructions are on the site here and have good pictures posted by another ROC member. Is in the Glove Compartment behind glove box requires emtying box popping out 2 clip style things and pressing two tabs.

DanO13
07-19-2010, 12:54 PM
AC stopped blowing cold air. Checked all fuses, verified that compressor was engaging. When visually inspecting all lines, found the leak to be in the AC Discharge hose. I could see the hose was moist from the oil that it had leaked. Plan on replacing it myself. Bought the hose, 2 o-rings and not sure if I should replace the drier/accumulator as well. The system looks like it has lost all the refrigerant so I won't bother to recover the refrigerant before replacing the hose. I will remove faulty hose, install new hose and o-rings and take to Auto AC shop for System Evac (Vaccum), charge with refrigerant and check for leaks. Hopefully it will work like new.

Before I get my hands dirty perhaps someone on this thread has some answers/recommendations regarding the following:

Anyone recommends changing the drier as well? I've heard mixed recommendations.

How much oil should be added when charging the system? I heard that 1 ounce per hose replaced.

Parts:
Discharge Hose - 80315-SJC-A00
O-rings - 80872-ST7-000

tom sheridan
07-20-2010, 10:32 AM
I have been to the dealer 2x. The issue is that occasionly, with A/C on, it starts blowing hot on passenger side. If I try to turn temp down further, it does not register on temp control dial. IE, if it's on 69, it starts blowing hot, I turn it down, it still displays 69. After I turn it off and wait a few minutes, it will come up OK when I turn it back on. Dealer drained and re filled coolant, injecting dye. No leaks found. They tok it for 17 mile test run but it didn't happen. They originally told me they thought it was out of balance.(whatever that means).
I was driving up to the Grey Fox bluegrass festival last Wednesady, towing my Trailmanor 2720 in the Catskills and it happened again. I turned it off. Stopped to get a soda, turned it back on, it worked.

rogersr24
07-29-2012, 10:35 PM
The fan on my AC developed a mind of its own. I have a RT so the AC controls are manual. I took it to the dealer and they finally called tech support and ordered a complete AC control unit. Since then the AC itself has developed a mind of its own. The AC turns on and off when ever it wants. I called the dealer and he said the controller will fix everything. If anyone is interested I will post the results when the part is installed.

i have had the same problem with my 06 rt. the fan control acts intermittently. sometimes i have to turn it off then back on to get fan to blow...have replaced cabin filter, that helped airflow...now whn idle and ac on, it blows hot...but when going and under power at speed, blows cold again...i have researched and it may be the electric fan that cools the condenser not working. wonder how much that will be...the ac control unit i saw lists for over $300, please let me know it the replacement of yours worked.

casperinmd
07-30-2012, 09:42 AM
While this is an old post, I thought I'd post my issue/resolution for the future.

Issue: A/C / heat blower stopped blowing air period, no speeds worked. Control unit did power on. I left work, it seemed to "power cycle" as I just heard the blower stop after it was on full blast, the unit was on and no fan buttons worked to control air. I stopped for gas 5 minutes later, turned on truck again and tried the A/C, same issue, came on full blast then poof, died.

Resolution: Brother in law troubleshot it and when he jumped the transistor to the left of the blower motor under the passenger foot area, the fan came on full blast, but the A/C was not running. He said it was most likely a safety feature and to replace the blower transistor. I got one from Keenan honda at hondapartsforless.com for $53. It was 2 screws to remove and it fixed it.

fyi..Dealer wanted $103 and $27 to replace.

hondacats
07-28-2014, 06:04 PM
Took my 06 RTL to Jiffy Lube twice. First time thinking it just needs recharging. $165 later and still no cold air. Took back few weeks later and asked them to figure it out n fix it. Originally, it just never blew cold air at all. And even on highest setting it wasn't blowing very strong either. Between 3 mechanics they still Couldn't find a leak or any problems. Told me that possibly a relay could be starting to go out. Left frustrated, came home, got on this forum, went to Auto Zone and bought new in cabin filter, replaced it and MAGIC happened! It works perfectly now!! $16 filter is all I probably needed to begin with. Can't believe no one mentioned this to me as I didn't even know it had such a thing inside. Thank you to this forum. I have found many tips and tricks on here that have saved me money in the past too.

Ourfarm09
07-28-2014, 06:12 PM
Took my 06 RTL to Jiffy Lube twice. First time thinking it just needs recharging. $165 later and still no cold air. Took back few weeks later and asked them to figure it out n fix it. Originally, it just never blew cold air at all. And even on highest setting it wasn't blowing very strong either. Between 3 mechanics they still Couldn't find a leak or any problems. Told me that possibly a relay could be starting to go out. Left frustrated, came home, got on this forum, went to Auto Zone and bought new in cabin filter, replaced it and MAGIC happened! It works perfectly now!! $16 filter is all I probably needed to begin with. Can't believe no one mentioned this to me as I didn't even know it had such a thing inside. Thank you to this forum. I have found many tips and tricks on here that have saved me money in the past too.

It is mentioned in your owners manual.

ridgeline30152
08-01-2014, 01:04 PM
June 2014 @93K (2006 RTL) - AC started blowing hot air. Took to Carmax on extended warranty plan. AC hose said to have leak and replaced for $50 deductible. Would have been a $150 fix without the warranty.

August 2014 @94K - AC starts blowing hot air again. Returned to Carmax on extended warranty. Evaporator said to have leak and part back ordered. I will pay zero since it is same scenario as previous 'repair'.

This truck is junk.

ChrisM
08-01-2014, 02:46 PM
June 2014 @93K (2006 RTL) -

This truck is junk.

I feel the same way!

I actually had to add a can of refrigerant to my 06' this year. How dare it leak down 1 lb of refrigerant after 7 years of use! The next thing you know I'll have to replace something expensive like the serpentine belt!

Honda should be ashamed of themselves! ;)

FTM1
08-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Posted same info in other A/C thread.
2007 RTL NAV Purchased new 2/28/07.
125,500+ miles on it A/C Blowing hot air not cooling.
Second day drivers side blowing hot air passenger side cool air for few mins then not. No prior issue with A/C & used on regular basis.
Took to Honda Dealer Service Center Service Manager said possible leak & need System Evacuation & Recharge. No leak found at this time Performed System Evacuation & Recharged done with R134A Refrigerant Added DYE to detect possible leak in future. Recovered 16 ounces refrigerant from system said holds 22-23 ounces
Parts R134A Refrigerant (2)@ $29.99= $59.99
Labor $149.95 total charge $209.93

speedlever
08-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Joe, since you started this thread 8 years ago, I don't know if you're still collecting info or not. But several of us have had a connector behind the dash melt. Thread reference linked upon request.

My symptoms were no hvac blower and neither radiator fan would operate.

csimo
08-01-2014, 03:33 PM
Joe, since you started this thread 8 years ago, I don't know if you're still collecting info or not. But several of us have had a connector behind the dash melt. Thread reference linked upon request.

My symptoms were no hvac blower and neither radiator fan would operate.

Originally it was thought there might have been a bad run of evaporators, but the warranty claims didn't turn up, and few people mentioned such problems.

So really there's nothing to report to Honda... which was the original intent.

speedlever
08-01-2014, 04:56 PM
Gotcha. I'm thinking we should close this thread then. Reopen it if you like.