Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

At what point is it wrong to overload the Ridgeline?

12K views 36 replies 18 participants last post by  IanRTL 
#1 ·
I've had to haul 2000 lbs (in the bed) in my 2006 Ridge on several occasions be it gravel or most recently 1 ton of wood pellets. I've noticed each time it really puts a strain on the Ridge and it seems to get a little shaky when we do this - of course the back end drops pretty low to the ground as well. I know that according to the manual, it is rated for 1559 lbs in the bed - so my question is:
Is adding that extra 441 lbs going to hurt anything on a permanent basis if I do this once or twice a year?

Maybe a followup question would be: Would I be better off cutting open the pallet of pellets and moving some of the bags into the cab to distribute the weight more evenly?

#2 ·
Actually, the bed is rated at 1100 lbs.

#3 ·
Anytime you exceed the manufactors recommended limits, you absorb all the responsibility. Can the RL handle the extra weight, of course it can, but in an emergency can you stop as quick or not roll over?

#4 ·
In addition, are suspension components overloaded to the point that potential failure is more likely now than before?

No way to know that I know of.

Bottom line: you would be better off keeping the weights within the published limits.

#5 ·
I agree with Speed and Oddjob that following the load limit is safer.

But, I think the Ridge will handle the weight on occasion. I over load the bed frequently in mine. I have a 135 gallon water tank that I put in the bed. Then fill all of the existing voids with jugs of herbicide. Then I hook up the trailer with a Honda 500 forman with 60 gallon sprayer, lawn mower, & weed mower. I travel all across IL, into MO, and KY with this. Probably about 5K miles a year. Then in the Spring, I occasional REALLY over do it. I deliver pallets of seed that weight 3075 lbs. I dont go very far with these though. Im not saying its safe, or smart...but I have done this each year since Ive had the Ridge and have never touched a suspension component. Im around 159K now, and have seen no ill effects.

#6 ·
You so far exceed normal expectations that I have no way to classify your operation. ;)

150k+ on OEM tires?
3000+ lb payloads on a regular basis?
159k trouble free miles?

I should be so fortunate.

My suggestion is that you should go buy a lottery ticket! :D

#9 ·
Many years ago I had an acquaintance become a quadriplegic because of that.

#13 · (Edited)
Bethard,

As I reread that, I can see where you would interpret my comments that way. Apologies! Not intended that way. I just find it remarkable that you are able to push the limits like you do... and do so successfully.

I still like the idea of the lottery ticket though. :D

Hey, as long as pickup trucks have been made, they have been overloaded. It is what it is. You have to remember that with my background (in aviation), you may get away with overloading, but the penalties for not getting away with it are pretty severe. So I'm pretty much a stickler for staying within the limits. ;)

I have images in my mind like this:

Oops!

#14 ·
Bethard it seems to me that many of the RL's on this site are garage queens and are not used for work. My father owned trucks his entire life. first as a landscaper and nursery owner then as a small scrapmetal business owner. As far as he was concerned a truck had one purpose. You made money with it. He never spent 5 cents making his trucks pretty and everyone of them was overloaded on a regular basis. Not one of them owed him a dime. Other then you I don't know of anyone who makes a living with an RL. It's hard to say how much abuse one of these trucks can actually take. My guess is the tranny would be the first thing to go based on some of the shifts my truck goes through. Who knows? Is this really a truck engine? You might be better off in a different truck and leave the RL to weekend warriors like me. I am sure my father never asked this question about his trucks

#20 ·
Other then you I don't know of anyone who makes a living with an RL. It's hard to say how much abuse one of these trucks can actually take.
I have a friend of a friend whom uses his RL on a daily basis for the last three years for his lawn care business and hasn't had a lick of trouble. that was part of my deciding factor of buying the RL

#15 ·
Speed - that marroon truck on the bottom might be me someday, but I hope not. It is a little errie that it is similar color and I would definitely see myself loading it up like that.:act024:

I guess I look at my vehicles like Gene's dad. I bought it for a work truck and that's what I do with it. I like genes idea of a different truck, but it just seems to never work out. I have about every type of vehicle in my "arsenal". I have work trucks ranging from the ridgeline to a F-550 with a suburban, 2500hd, and 3500 van in between. It just seems that in my line of work, I always need " just a little more". It seems like a vicious cycle where I use my 1500's as 1 tons, my 1 tons as 550's, and the 550's as semi trucks.

#16 ·
I'm with you on this one Beth.

I haven't had the chance to load my RL too much, but with my 2000 CRV with a towing capacity of 1000 lbs, I easily doubled that when camping.

I never blew a transmission or engine and have put soooooooo little $$$$$ into that CRV over it's 11 years, that I will probably always stay with Honda. :act035:

Yes there is always a safety factor, but like I have always said, you could slip in the bathtub and be crippled, or you could drown! :act018:

LONG LIVE THE HONDA!

P.S. I agree with speed lever, buy a Lottery Ticket, you can't win if you don't play!

#17 ·
I was thinking after I posted the last time...since the ridgeline is typically looked at as being "a city truck", it doesn't have as many opportunities to be used like I use it. Here on ROC, it seems that I am the odd duck in that I use the crap out of the ridge and try to stretch maintenance as thin as possible. I am not a member, but will browse around on forums like GM 1500 or 2500HD sites and you might find it hard to believe....but I am among the "sane" people on those sites. And, travel around to campgrounds across IL & MO....I am often amazed (and usually inspired :act024:) by what I see.

#18 ·
#19 ·
I occasionally use my RL for work but do have dedicated work trucks for the heavy hauling. I don't think twice hooking up my boat (4500#) or John Deere 855 tractor and backhoe (probably closer to 5500#) up once in awhile. A few times I've had to go to Home Depot for materials and have had it packed to the gills with lumber, wiring, PT plywood, etc but I don't do it every day. So far I haven't had any issues at all.

#21 ·
Good to hear you hauling 3K and still surviving Bethard - thx 4 the feedback! I would rather not haul the 2K the times the I have in the bed, but sometimes I do what I gotta do. Admittedly, it has been slightly nerve-racking hauling 2K especially going 70mph down the highway w/the load (it gets a little shakey) and also on our driveway which is incredibly steep and very long - but the Ridge hath survived w/flying colors and hopefully will in the future

#22 ·
I go rather slow when I have a full pallet (which is 3075 lbs). It's not exactly stable, but it gets the job done. I'm with you that it can be nerve racking when she's grossly overloaded, but it does a very respectable job IMO. It looks like the rims are going to cut the side walls out of th tires though. I may be posting my regrets someday when you see me on the side of the road, with the wheels shoved through the fenders....but until then, I'll trudge on.

#25 ·
When I ran Dakota's on two occasions I hauled 50 sacks of soybeans at 50lbs each 2500lbs total. I never bothered to check what the Dakota's bed weight rating was but I'm pretty sure that was a bit over. The first time I did it I drove back home with it about 75 miles doing 70mph. Suffice to say, that wasn't very smart. With the Ridgeline I've only hauled 16 bags as that was close or right at the Ridgeline's rating (I thought but now I think I was a little short). I think my first concern for overloading the bed would be damaging the trunk lid.

I have an ATV but have a small 4x7 trailer for it. I could put it in the bed but the trailer is just easier. When I first got the Ridgeline I did put it in (didn't go anywhere) just to see how it would fit and while it did of course, I could see it would be difficult to strap it down in the front and to get on and off I had to walk on the bed rail. Then I found out on here it's a good idea to put a 2x4 from front to back under your wheels to lessen the stress on the tailgate.

#26 ·
There is no way that I would run 70 with a full pallet. My balls arent that big. It does sag the trunk lid a bit and I was concerned the first time. I have learned to put the front of the pallet down first, then slowly set it down on the trunk. I feel really comfortable at 40 bags and have no problem running them long distance, but much over that and I go slow and stay local.

#27 ·
I am sure there is plenty of reserve load capacity, and many of the restrictions have as much or more to do with safety than actual structural limitations.
But I do enjoy reading about these pursuits, from afar.

#28 ·
I think all payload and towing capacities are conservative on every truck. I think they have to under-rated for liability purposes. I think the Ridgeline is completely capable of hauling 2k-3k (payload). I’ve hauled a couple of loads of gravel (1 ton each) and she performed just fine. Would I do this every day or ever week – no… Would I drive cross country – no… If something goes wrong, Honda isn’t going to take the responsibility. My dad and brother – both Ranchers – consistently over load their trailers to 20k#-25k# (both own dodge Cummins). They drive all over Gods green earth and don’t have many issues – granted that’s trailer and not payload but still the estimates for towing are conservative.

I don’t think Honda’s intention was for the Ridgeline to be a working truck. It’s set up to be a city driver and provide comfort but still have the ability to perform duties for the weekend warrior. That doesn’t mean it can’t be worked, I just don’t think that’s the intention. That being the case – I would say majority of Ridgeline owners will never test it’s true capabilities.

#29 ·
It's definitely a utility vehicle. We have a local farmer that uses an RL to do some work in his plowed field. There are at least 2 mechanics that have them as shop trucks.
But most I see spend time in the suburbs supporting weekend gardening and home repair chores, as well as carting the family around for various leisure activities.
Somebody said it's more like a Pilot with a bed instead of a cargo area. None of that matters if it can fit in your lifestyle, and maybe even your garage.

#37 ·
I have exceeded the bed "limit" a few times but not by much. I've had a large amount of mulch in there - about 35 or 40 bags. At 40 lbs each, I was at around 1500 lbs. It didn't even feel like anything was back there other than the back end squatting a bit. My worst offense was 24 bags of concrete. At 80 lbs each, that's 1920 lbs. I only drove about 5 miles with these and at under 40 mph but again the truck was a champ. It didn't even break a sweat going up hills. I wouldn't recommend loading up like this and going on a 100 mile highway trip or doing it three times a week every week, but the truck can handle it when you need it to.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.