Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Installing Brake Override Bypass on Pioneer 8400bh?

7K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  jimmy 2 times 
#1 ·
Quick question for you guys. I'm in the process of installing a Parking Brake Override Bypass (Amazon) on my Pioneer 8400bh and my question is do I still need to tap into the actual parking brake cable (green-orange), or does the bypass negate having to do that. Thanks.

#2 ·
short answer, yes.

I have done around 6 pioneer double din stereo installs and while I usually use a simple relay from radio shack, i think the product amazon sells is pretty much the same thing. It somehow tricks the parking brake to get a signal a split second after the radio itself gets power. It should be pretty straight foward. Here is the video that explains it a little better than I can

#7 · (Edited)
short answer, yes.
Thanks ninjakris. Different answer from Deathdealer. Makes logical sense to me to tap the brake wire on the HU but not on the truck itself. I'll try that first.

I temporarily connected the HU to a battery yesterday to play around with it and much of the visual stuff is tied to the parking brake being on to view the content. Seems to me like the bypass is a must for aftermarket HU's like this one.

#4 ·
So you can watch a DVD while driving (the car is in motion). It is a safety feature to prevent the driver from the temptation of watching the screen when he/she should be looking ahead. However, on long trips it helps to keep the wifey engaged in watching a movie.

#6 ·
Thanks for clarifying. I wasn't sure what it was either.

#5 ·
why would you have to fool the parking brake? It doesnt care whether the radio is on or off.

You have to trick the radio...so the short answer is NO, you dont have to tap the parking brake cable...just need the relay to a hot source and it will trick the radio into thinking you have released the brake.

#9 ·

No, it is not the radio you are trying to trick. It is the GPS function via the speed sensor. The speed sensor still tells the unit that you are moving even if it sees the parking brake as being off. In the Pioneer AVIC if it is not done correctly you will get a message actually telling you that your wiring was installed to fool the unit and it will not allow the DVD over-ride (ask me how I know). I have an AVIC3 installed in another car. You do what Groupset suggested and if you check on line it shows you how to swap the pins.

#8 ·
I've done several installs of the Pioneer AVIC-series units; on those you simply pull an unused pin (usually the mute wire) from the original position on the Pioneer harness, then move it to a certain other position (depends on the AVIC model) and ground that wire along with the green parking brake wire off the Pioneer harness. This fools the unit into thinking it's in test mode, which frees up all capabilities of navigation; watching DVDs and video; etc. while the car is in motion.

#10 ·
Bypass came in today. It's nice and small. Came with some detailed instructions too. Black to ground. Blue to remote wire, can still wire to amp if you've got one. Green to HU parking brake wire only, NO need to wire the actual brake wire with this bypass from microbypass.com (also sold on amazon). Detailed instruction attached.

#11 ·
I don't think Pioneer is different from any other head unit with DVD players. Don't waste your money on a bypass system or wire it to a 12v power source.
Simply ground it to the vehicle's chassis. Make sure to ground it in a convenient place so when your battery dies or is replaced you can reset it again.

#12 ·
wrong, the pioneers (non navigation) as well as alpines need to see ground, 12v then ground again. Just grounding out wont help

also, how much did you pay for that bypass?

all you need a relay (it can even be a cheap one)

pin 86 and 87 goes to ground (black wire)
85 to remote turn on (blue wire)
30 to parking output of pioneer (light green wire)

alpines are a bit tougher though

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.