Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Bleach spilled in back carpet

6K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  scutchins 
#1 ·
While in the process of moving into our new house, a gallon jug of Clorox II "color safe" bleach spilled in the back carpet. The bleach worked its way under the carpets and is puddled underneath. The carpets are fading (I guess they are not color safe) so I am going to have them replaced, but the dealer wants $600 labor which seems unusually high. The carpet is about $320.

Is this a fair price, is it really that detailed or should I tackle this myself (very good mechanically but also very busy.)

On a side note, should I be concerned about the metal under the carpets? I am considering cutting the carpet out and cleaning really well underneath before dropping the truck off at the dealer since I seriously doubt they will clean under them.

#2 ·
You'll need basic mechanic's tools plus a good set of panel pullers like the KTC set. Every seat and both consoles will have to come out. It's a big, ugly job. make sure you buy some spare panel fasteners to replace the ones you'll inevitably break.

Good luck.

#3 ·
Yes, I'd want the metal underneath cleaned and probably some primer sprayed on it.

According to the MSDS Clorox color safe bleach contains triethanolamine, hydrogen peroxide, and benzenesulfonic acid. Not too bad, but I'd want it cleaned up pretty well.

#4 ·
According to the MSDS Clorox color safe bleach contains triethanolamine, hydrogen peroxide, and benzenesulfonic acid.
That's all? Geez, sounds like the recipe from the Alien movie.:D

Attachments

#5 · (Edited)
On a side note, should I be concerned about the metal under the carpets? I am considering cutting the carpet out and cleaning really well underneath before dropping the truck off at the dealer since I seriously doubt they will clean under them.
You should be very concerned about the metal. While I don't know the acidic properties of the bleach, you can be assured that the paint/primer coat of the metal has been breached. It will take quite a bit of cleaning (including lots of fresh water) to remove all of the bleach residue. Without proper treatment, this area is likely to corrode very quickly. This could be further exacerbated if you live in an area where other contaminants such as road salt etc may be introduced into the area as well.

Good luck.

#7 ·
It sounds like you have a comprehensive insurance claim "falling objects" (in this case bleach) should be covered.

You should have work done by a bodyshop so they have knowledge to repair metal if needed.

I have seen insurance cover rain damage to interiors when sunroofs get stuck open.

This should be covered.

#8 ·
Check some of your local auto upholstery shops. I got a bid from a local shop in Phoenix to replace my carpet (whcih had been cut up when the boom box was installed), with a nice looking, dark gray (almost black) carpet for $275 complete. I've checked out some of his other jobs and it looks pretty good.

#9 ·
Ouch, I wish I would have thought of that before droppping the truck off at the dealer for my $850 worth of carpets!

I ended up pouring lots and lots of water in the back and sucking it up with a shop vac then just running a fan to dry the water out. There doesn't seem to be any residue left, although I spoke with the guy who will be replacing the carpets and he said he would feel around and clean up any he happens to find. I think it won't be a problem in the future. The carpets did start fading all around the edges where the Clorox II was sucked up and puddled, so I'm glad I got this stuff up before it did any more damage.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.