Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

210.000 km's do I need New shocks ?

2K views 19 replies 7 participants last post by  Gouranga 
#1 ·
I went to a garage and they told me my shocks are done however I did not feel any disscomfort in ride quality
everything seems to be normal i dunno what the hell he was talking about but he said that if I take my hand and rub the tire you can feel wavyness in the tire tread said that the tire bounced more than it should and gives me unever tire tread which tells him my shocks are no good

is this true ?

he told me that I can get shock assembly for cheaper online myself to make this all cheaper for me

so now leaves me with another question should I get aftermarket shocks or oem

I found these OEM can someone tell me if this is all I need to order ?
http://torontohondaparts.com/PartsL...=LX&trans=5AT&mfg=CAN&cat=chassis&illid=13345

and front

http://torontohondaparts.com/PartsL...=LX&trans=5AT&mfg=CAN&cat=chassis&illid=13343

do I just order # 6 and 7 and thats it ?or do I need to order anything else to replace all the struts/shocks

See less See more
#2 ·
The front and rear shocks are combination assemblies (I think the term is coilover). As such, they need to be handled with care so you don't end up with injuries like Rusty's avatar shows. :D

Maybe you have experience changing them. I do not. Thus I personally would be a bit leery of changing my own struts out as I do not have the spring compressor needed to change out the damper in the struts.

Assuming of course you were going to DIY the shocks/struts. If they were shocks only... that would be a piece of cake. I'm sure someone on here has changed them out. Hopefully they'll chime in with some pertinent info for you.

Strut exploded view:

Strut disassembly:

It's my understanding that worn shocks can be one cause of cupping tires.

Here's a link on how to read tires:
http://www.procarcare.com/includes/content/resourcecenter/encyclopedia/ch25/25readtirewear.html

#4 ·
If you check the schematic, you'll see #2 and #4 assigned to the assembly. One for the left and one for the right. For less than half the price, you can just get the shock (#3).. but you'll need to disassemble and reassemble for the savings.

That's the way I read the schematic.

I assumed you were looking to save some $$. ;)

#6 ·
okok so wait just so I am clear

#3 is just the shock/strut nothing else but the shock so you saying I can buy 4 of them and just reuse the spring and all the other pieces from my current struts?

is this ok reusing an old spring with 210.000kms

yes I want savings lol but I wont be assembling or installing these myself lol I have a garage that will do this for me I just want to get the parts myself so its a little cheaper and ill just pay the labour

#7 ·
That is my understanding. Check with your shop to verify. I don't know if the disassembly/reassembly process will need any new parts or not.

#11 ·
Looking at the FSM procedure for the rear damper assembly, it calls for the lower arm B to be removed in order to change out the rear damper assembly. The process calls for a new locknut and 2 new flange bolts. Then, the 3 flange bolts that attach the upper portion of the assembly are spec'd for replacement too.

Looking at the reassembly portion of the damper assembly, the only component that I see that is spec'd for replacement is the self locking nut on top of the damper after it's all put back together. Of course any worn parts of the assembly should be considered for replacement too.

I expect the front would be similar. I can post screen shots of the process if needed. It's a bit more complex than just replacing a shock.

#12 · (Edited)
I asked my mechanic, and he said that the statement was true.

If it was tire wear on the edges, it would be an alignment issue.

Have you tried CAPS auto parts? 613 727-0300 Nepean, 613 744-7403 Old Innis rd, 613 841-4844 Orleans.

#16 ·
Supply and demand. Between front and back, more fronts will probably be purchased at auto parts stores.
Honda dealerships push hard for deals that include replacing all 4.
So buy OEM fronts, and KYB rears! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.