Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

should I do it?

4K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  ninjakris 
#1 ·
I have a bit of a dilema. I would like to get my fun car (03 viper) to my inlaws place when we visit this christmas. I want to tow the car with my RL, but I am going to be a little over my weight limits. I would like to know others opinions.

Going from Destin FL to Wilmington NC about 750 miles.

Car = 3400lbs
Car transport = about 2200lbs (from uhaul website)

Total weight = 5600lbs.

Should I do it? My other option is to drive the viper and have my wife drive the RL (need the RL to hold gifts), but its extra miles on the viper and I would rather not pay for gas twice.

Thanks for any advice.

#2 ·
Why run the risk of damaging the transmission? You'll pay for gas twice anyway in lost MPG on the RL towing that much weight. Just my .02 and something to think about.

#4 ·
Personally, I'd be tempted to just go ahead and tow it. It's not that far over.

#5 ·
You are probably better off just having it shipped via professional moving truck. You should be able to get it there for no more than $700 to $800. So you would probably pay roughly $400 to $500 over towing it yourself but less of your time tied up driving, peace of mind, insured trucking company, so on and so forth.

#6 ·
That's pretty far to tow over max, I think. Peace of mind is worth a lot. It is also a total of 1500 mlles of driving. Probably with an average mpg in the low teens, at best.

#10 ·
I am trying to understand the problem. You have a VIPER and you don't want to drive it? Would you mind if I borrowed it for a weekend? I know some girls that would love that.

you're a few hundred pounds over the limit. That's not really a whole lot in my opinion. Unload the trunk and run the viper down on fuel a little and that should get you closer to the max load.

#13 ·
I don't think driving it is the issue. Taking two vehicles to the same destination is the issue. Tow that sucker. Then drive it!

#14 ·
Thanks for all the replies. Speedlover is dead on. I am taking the viper up there and leaving it until I move in a couple months (military move). I am trying to avoid driving two cars to the same location. I love driving my viper as much as anyone would, but figured it would make sense towing the car with two drivers in the RL, making the trip easier.

If you have never been in a viper before, its a rough ride after a couple hours.

How about this: start out towing the viper and if it seems like its too much of a load, just unload the viper and drive seperate?

#16 ·
How about this: start out towing the viper and if it seems like its too much of a load, just unload the viper and drive seperate?
Good plan, do that. If you're still worried about it then change the trans fluid and that'll trick you into thinking it was all okay.

When was the last time you took a road trip in the toy though? You know you would love it. :act027:

#19 ·
We have another member that I can think of that has a Viper or two. Haven't seen him lately though.

I believe he's in Michigan.

Oh and there's qlake too. I think he also has a Viper... amongst many other vehicles in his collection. ;)

#20 ·
Instead of a full blown trailer have you considered a tow dolly or just a flat tow. Don't know if those are options but either would reduce the tow weight enough to put it in the "safe" zone.
Or maybe check around for a different trailer rental that has a trailer that is lighter.
Or rent/borrow a tow vehicle that is more suited for the tow and just leave the Ridgeline home this trip.
Also, as others have suggested, look into some of those vehicle transfer companies. You may find it's not that much more than a one-way trailer rental.
If you decide to use the RL for the tow then, as a precaution, do a complete set of fluid changes before and after the trip.

Personally, I'd not worry too much about towing one way with the RL. You are not going to be in very much hilly country and if you can stay on interstate highway there won't be much stop and go traffic. Just take it easy and if the RL seems to struggle, bite the bullet and make the rest of the trip driving both.

Good luck

#21 · (Edited)
Just out of curiosity, is a 2200 lb trailer wt pretty common? I guess (not being a tow-er) that it sounds heavy to me for the intended usage.

Also, Honda tow limits are honest numbers... not cooked like others... or so I've read here. So I feel there's some margin built in... enough that I would probably do the tow. As usual, YMMV. ;)

#22 ·
They're heavy because they are pretty much rated for any car or truck apart from a one ton dualy.

I would not put that thing on a tow dolly. The vipers nose is way to low and fragile for that.

#23 ·
Speedlever how did the tow go...basically im in the same position as you. Military move coming up i have 86 chevy sliverado (3800#) lookin to tow using Uhaul car hauler. Going from Coco Beach Fla to Biloxi Ms....thoughts...thanks

Sent from my SGH-T999 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#24 ·
Sorry, it wasn't me that was looking to tow that load. We'll need to hear back from ninjakris on what he finally decided to do.

#26 ·
Just an update. I ended up driving the viper the whole way. I was on the fence but what pushed me over the edge was the price to rent a car transporter. U-haul wanted about $350 for the rental. I did the drive in 12 hours and it was just about 750 miles. I was a little sore the next day but at least the car is there now. My wife also drove the RL and we split the driving on the way home. The funny part is the viper and the RL got about the same mpg..19'ish. I think the truck could have done better, but we were averaging 85mph the whole way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.