Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

JBL GT6-6 6-3/4" 2 Way Speakers

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Heli ATP 
#1 · (Edited)
After upgrading the dash tweeters with the JBL GTO18T's, I decided to try the JBL GT6-6, 6-3/4" 2 Way Speakers in the doors. This was on the advice of Lazerguy, as I don't wish to add an amp. I ordered them from Crutchfield, and the mounting adapters they provide (Scosche SAHR6) just don't work with the shape of the door panel around the speaker area, (especially the rear door).

I purchased 4 MDF 6 1/2" - 5/8" THICK SPEAKER MOUNTING SPACER RINGS WITH BLACK CARPET from ebay, and shaved them down a little for the rear doors. (See dimensions in pic below). The front ones needed no adjustment.

Crutchfield supplied the Honda wiring harness for each door and these can be purchased online by looking up Metra No. 72-7800. These will fit any speaker and are plug n play.

I used 1-5/8" #8 lath screws (self tapping) to attack the speaker mounts to the door panel and 5/8" screws to attach the speakers to the mounts.

Removing/reinstalling the door panel is not hard at all. Instructions can be found on this site. If you had all your bits and pieces together you could do this install in a couple of hours.

I changed out the front speakers first and had a giddy grin on my face when I turned on the stereo. The sound was amazing. I sat in the back seat and could definetaly tell how bad the rears were in comparision. After installing the rear speakers the overall sound is incredible. I had an Ingrid Jensen CD on and could hear all the instruments clearly and the overall sound was so much louder with the volume turned down some. I highly recommend the JBL GT6-6's.

http://www.metraonline.com/part/Honda_wire+harness_72-7800

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_109GT66/JBL-GT6-6.html?search=JBL+VENDORID109&searchdisplay=JBL

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-MDF-6-5-6...908?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3372e1489c

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
:cheerleader:Great to see the upgrade done, did you notice louder volume compared to the factory ones besides better sound?

Thanks for sharing the tip and post pics and suggestions

#3 ·
Yes the JBL's put out more voulme than the stocks did for the same setting. I had never used the CD player before this upgrade and notice that CD's play louder than the Radio and AUX.
Now if only it was as simple to change out the stock sub speaker as it is for the tweeters and doors.

#5 ·
Finally got around to installing the fronts today after work (rears are still in the box). I went with the JBL7-6's that I got on sale at Crutchfield that was a 2-for-1 deal. How could you not jump at the chance to upgrade all four doors with a decent set of speakers for only $69????

So far I have to say I'm liking these. Louder. Cleaner. Fronts took about a hour, but a chunk of that time was trying to fish out a screw I dropped into the door in the final stages of re-assembly....errrrr.

#6 ·
So far I have to say I'm liking these. Louder. Cleaner.
And they will only get better with time.
The original post in this thread was for my 2011 RTS, (which resides somewhere in NJ now). Also did the upgrade to my '14 but covered the whole door with Dynamat, inside and out. Still happy with the upgrade but each time I drive I hear the speakers say 'we deserve a better HU than stock' It never ends.... LOL.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.