Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

A12 maintenance at 26,500 miles

35K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  Heli ATP 
#1 ·
My maintenance minder flashed the A12 at me this morning so I plan to take it to the dealership next week to perform the service. My question is I purchased the 06 Ridgeline in April of 2005 so I'm coming up on the 3 year mark for the suggested brake fluid replacement.

Should I go ahead and throw that in now as well? Anyone have any idea what kind of price tag I'll be looking at for:

Oil Change
Rotate Tires
Replace air cleaner element
Replace Dust and Pollen filter
Inspect Drive Belt
Change Brake Fluid

?? I'd just like to prepare myself for how much this all might be and make sure they are not trying to take advantage of me. Thanks!

#2 ·
yeah- most dealerhips get you for:

$25 Oil Change
$25 Rotate Tires
$50 Replace air cleaner element
$105 Replace Dust and Pollen filter
$15 Inspect Drive Belt
$100+ Change Brake Fluid

$320+.

I can do that for

$25 Oil Change & filter with synthetic oil
$0 Rotate Tires
$22 Replace air cleaner element
$22 Replace Dust and Pollen filter
$0 Inspect Drive Belt
$5+ Change Brake Fluid

$74

It starts paying to "change your own oil" and poke around and learn how to do BASIC maintenance. Least it does for me.

#4 ·
hey Honda Tech here, Brake fluid is a turd if you dont have the right stuff, though in my opinion as being a Tech it deff isn't worth 100 bucks, it only takes 15mins tops if you know your sh!t. air and pollen filters are sinple and i would learn to change your own oil! Honda Dealers use the cheapest oil on the market, if i named the brand you would shrug shoulders cause you haven't ever heard of it!

#7 ·
We buy bulk oil here as well - however you need to remember that there are only a few companies that manufacture engine oil. The "bulk oil" is still purchased from a major supplier. In actuality, the oil we use here is conventional ExxonMobil oil.

Years ago consumer reports did a huge test of engine oils. They found that synthetics are slightly better than conventional oils, but that is not to say that conventional oil is bad. They used everything from valvoline and castrol to the wal-mart brand of engine oil. Their test vehicles were NYC taxi's. After extended use and testing they came to this conclusion. Oil is oil. As long as the bottle has the API(American petroleum institute) starburst that says "for gasoline engines" it will function perfectly - regardless of the branding. Regular change intervals are crucial, however. Those are the facts.

My opinion - I have no problem using bulk oil - but I choose to pay more and use Mobil 1.

HT

#11 ·
Having worked in the oil industry for 30, I was lucky to tour our Phillips Petroleum oil manufacturing plant. This plant manufactured four brands of motor oil, Phillips, Royal Purple, Conoco, and Kendall. Same plant, same base oil the only difference was minor changes in additives and the label on the bottle. Any oil that meets the API standard will work. Now, synthetics are different but then again some plant some place is manufacturing base synthetics for multiple companies. If you want to really over read and drive yourself crazy go to Bobtheoilguy's website.

#8 ·
Got the A12 service due at 27,000. The cabin filter behind the glovebox was pretty clean so I cleaned it out and reused it. I replaced the engine air filter and wonder if the black patch in the center looks normal. This is my first time replacing that one and it's pretty oily.

Attachments

#9 ·
What they charge for 'inspections' is really the biggest ripoff. If nothing else, it does not take much education to inspect fluid levels, belt condition, CV joint covers, tire pressures and even brake or tire wear and making sure all your lighting is functional. You will be charged for every minute the tech spends doing these things (whether he actually does them ALL or not!)

#13 ·
Is it oily-greasy or just have a dark appearance?

#14 ·
It is more sooty than greasy, but maybe is a little on the damp side. Here is a pic of the clean side to compare to the dirty side in post 8 above.

My MPG's seem a little better since the change too. ??

Attachments

#15 · (Edited)
I have 80K+ on my 06 now and have changed the air filter 3 times. They never had an oily deposit on them like the one in your picture. I am fairly certain that on the pre filter side of the air intake system that there is no "engine breather" type hose that brings engine gases back into the intake system so I don't have a good explanation as to why you would have an oily deposit. Did you look at the bottom of the airbox and the hoses for the snorkel intake for wetness / oiliness? Is it really dusty where you live?
Overall, that filter is much dirtier in appearance than I would expect to see at 25K+- . . .

#17 ·
Stopped at Honda today and showed them my Engine Air Filter. They said it looks normal and is a product of where I had driven.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.